Running With the Bulls in Pamplona

Robbie Neilson

Robbie Neilson

Anyone been to Pamplona to go running with the bulls as part of the Saint Fermin festival?

Heading out to Spain this Friday. Into Madrid then north to Pamplona for this

Dont really want to be getting into the debate about the rights/wrongs of the bull run, that is for another thread, this ones just for any advice, hints or tips from anyone who's been and done it or watched it from the sidelines.

Seen some Youtube videos, pretty exciting!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If you're there then you've got to do it. Too good to miss. Get in there and bolt like feck

Auld Reekin'

Never been myself but apart from the running of the bulls, it's supposed to be pretty mental - huge crowds, folk drinking for days at a time, stoating about the place bouncing off buildings, sleeping under hedges and on park benches. Scotland in the sun, with (a few) more Spaniards, in other words!   :thumb:

Remember to pack your copy of:

Hemingway.Sun.Also.Rises.1950.big.jpg

:lol:

But srsly though Foxy, are you going? We are camping just outside

I will be there. In San Sebastian at the moment heading there tomorrow. And also camping just outside :what: I will be working most of it though.

Robbie Neilson

Working? What doing? We arrive on Monday and doing it on Tuesday, leave on Wednesday heading to either Bilbao or San Sebastien

Never done it and at my pace don't intend to.

If you're going to do it a PHM would Beattie the entire length of the run :lol:

:lol: what an insane thing to do some of the other videos linked in that one are absolutely hilarious.

Some harrowing looking injuries aswell, old ladies getting gored silly wtf are they doing.

Edited by Amnesiac

All roads lead to Gorgie

Look after the bulls. A cricketers box is what is required!!!

kissthebadge

Was there for it two years ago.  It all sounds like a laugh at first but when you actually get there and see the size of the crowds compared to the size of the streets ......good chance you'll change your mind.  

Another stag-do that was on our flight took part and one of the boys ended up critical in hospital after getting trampled on.  Not sure travel insurance coughs-up for special treatment so it goes without saying - be careful!

The locals don't particularly like 'tourists' coming to take part in their festival.  They get upset because many don't take it seriously and in their eyes, cause more risk to locals taking part.  Also - when you see food that has been put out on the bars, help yourself and see what happens!   Never seen so many bar staff go so radge - even when you offer to give them cash for it!  

Amazing buzz around the place though and definitely worth a visit, even if you decide not to take part in the run.

Is it not usually tourists that end up getting impaled?

Hoping this is the case for RN.

[emoji3]

Why would anyone in this modern age think that doing this was remotely normal? If anyone thinks that animal cruelty is fun they need their head examined.

peter_hmfc

RN next week...

funny-bull-fight-spain.jpg

He'll be praying for a standing section at Tynecastle next season.

Also - when you see food that has been put out on the bars, help yourself and see what happens!   Never seen so many bar staff go so radge - even when you offer to give them cash for it!  

I can't be the only one wondering about this...what does happen?

Sooperstar

Come on guys, RN specifically said that he didn't want this to turn into an animal cruelty debate because he'd rather just ignore that fact and pretend that what he is doing is perfectly acceptable. Let's respect his wishes, eh?

The food is like tapas but its called pinxos (sp?). You get your plate, choose what you want and pay at the end. It's pretty easy. Local way of doing things in Spanish basque i believe.

RN: it's warm. Very warm. Atmosphere building. Outwith the actual hell animal cruelty the festival atmosphere is fantastic. I'm in Pamplona now. I don't work for the festival, mynwork takes me here. Mysterious.

Is this a morale high ground competition now?

I for one think its disgusting that these beautiful beasts are treated in such a manner.

Winner.

Thinking of killing some dogs for a bit of fun, don't want to get into the morale debate about the rights and wrongs of it, just like to understand the best way of doing it? Can anyone help?

Thinking of killing some dogs for a bit of fun, don't want to get into the morale debate about the rights and wrongs of it, just like to understand the best way of doing it? Can anyone help?

Google it mate.

A mate from work done this last year. He saw the Partick Thistle fan who got hit by a bull get hit. Strangely he said it was one of those must do things if you ever get the chance and he was gutted he couldn't get back this year to do it.

Edited by Grado

A mate from work done this last year. He saw the Partick Thistle fan who got hit by a bull get hit. Strangely he said it was one of those must do things if you ever get the chance and he was gutted he couldn't get back this year to do it.

According to the Record that was the third bull running injury for the Partick Thistle fan.  If he's back again this year, maybe he'll be gutted too.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/scots-grandad-gored-spanish-bull-5175898

Imagine the Daily Record seethe if Spaniards were coming over here to do dangerous activities and getting free healthcare every 12 months.

According to the Record that was the third bull running injury for the Partick Thistle fan. If he's back again this year, maybe he'll be gutted too.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/scots-grandad-gored-spanish-bull-5175898

Met this guy in San Sebasti?n de Los Reyes a couple of years ago. I would happily have gored the self righteous wee prick myself.

Samuel Camazzola

Hopefully the bull will tear you a new one.

Seems like your wish came true! Three tourists gored yesterday - One a Brit.

The guy took it in the perineum.

:pleasing:

AlphonseCapone

Yasssssssssssssss!

jimmyjambo

The food is like tapas but its called pinxos (sp?). You get your plate, choose what you want and pay at the end. It's pretty easy. Local way of doing things in Spanish basque i believe.

RN: it's warm. Very warm. Atmosphere building. Outwith the actual hell animal cruelty the festival atmosphere is fantastic. I'm in Pamplona now. I don't work for the festival, mynwork takes me here. Mysterious.

selling/eating burgers  :lol: