Juwon Oshaniwa - signs 3 year deal, scarf above head, etc etc

WSTR

So you are classed as a selling club if you buy low (or Bosman) and sell high? If you buy high then sell low (eventually) what are you?

Poorly run?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are classed as a selling club if you buy low (or Bosman) and sell high?  If you buy high then sell low (eventually) what are you?

Heart of Midlothian Football Club 2007-2012

Every club in Scotland is a selling club!

Are we not currently a 'find better and release from contract' club?

Are we not currently a 'find better and release from contract' club?

yes

not sold anyone yet

It will come but happy.days if the money rolls in

CollyWolly

Every club in Scotland is a selling club!

Yes that's true.

But there are those who sell indiscriminately no matter the damage they cause to their own team. Dundee Utd last season for example and there are those who sell and still manage to stay competitive, like Hamilton for example.

How good a feeling is it that we are run properly now!? Signing players with real potential and great attitudes.

No longer looking up the 'out of contract' dross in Scotland and taking our pick.

How good a feeling is it that we are run properly now!? Signing players with real potential and great attitudes.

No longer looking up the 'out of contract' dross in Lithuania and taking our pick.

FTFY

Watt-Zeefuik

?Every club in Scotland...is a selling club, we have to make sure we?re sustainable. We have an academy here to develop players to a level where, hopefully, they become too big for Scottish football?.

-- Robbie Neilson, last season

"At the end of the day we're still a selling club but we don't want to be doing it at this time of the year when we're challenging for the title. So I don't foresee any issues where we do lose players."

-- Robbie Neilson, different interview last season

All I take a "selling club" to mean is a club that receives more in transfer fees than it spends.

FarmerTweedy

There is probably only 2 clubs in the world that are not selling clubs...and we ain't one of them!

The only clubs that aren't selling clubs are the ones that don't have any players that any other club would be interested in buying!

kingantti1874

The are only about 6 non selling clubs on planet earth.. And we sure as hell aren't one of them

Juwon is a done deal. 3 year deal for the lad. Welcome to the club when it's officially announced

Arthur Morgan

I'd say that a selling club is one that would sell it's best player when a bigger club with more money came along.

Pretty much every club on the planet apart from maybe Barcelona and Real Madrid are selling clubs IMO.

This.

The Real Maroonblood

The are only about 6 non selling clubs on planet earth.. And we sure as hell aren't one of them

Rubbish. Name a club who hasn't sold a player?

That'll be none then.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

For what it's worth my definition of a 'selling club' is one who factors in player sales into their long term or short term business models, and therefore selling is a necessity to stay solvent.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Heart of Midlothian Football Club 2007-2012

100% correct. If you ignore Gordon, Bednar, Hartley, Velicka, amongst others. 

100% correct. If you ignore Gordon, Bednar, Hartley, Velicka, amongst others.

Seeing as Hearts never purchased any of these players I will ignore them,Roman Bednar was purchased by Kaunas and loaned to Hearts,Velicka loaned to Hearts from Kaunas,Gordon was brought through the academy and Hartley was under the freedom of contract from St Johnstone.Besliga,Makela,Karipidis,Palazuelos signed directly to Hearts I believe for high fees and left for free,I may be wrong though.

Seeing as Hearts never purchased any of these players I will ignore them,Roman Bednar was purchased by Kaunas and loaned to Hearts,Velicka loaned to Hearts from Kaunas,Gordon was brought through the academy and Hartley was under the freedom of contract from St Johnstone.Besliga,Makela,Karipidis,Palazuelos signed directly to Hearts I believe for high fees and left for free,I may be wrong though.

They were all eventually 'owned' by Hearts mate.

Not that we benefitted in the end but that's another story... ;)

Sepp's Bladder

So you are classed as a selling club if you buy low (or Bosman) and sell high? If you buy high then sell low (eventually) what are you?

A buying club...

tartofmidlothian

For what it's worth my definition of a 'selling club' is one who factors in player sales into their long term or short term business models, and therefore selling is a necessity to stay solvent.

:spoton:

Jambof3tornado

So back to Juwon

You know the title of this thread

I still fear a last minute old firm hijack of this swoop!!

I still fear a last minute old firm hijack of this swoop!!

Well that's not going to happen so stop being a big fearty.

Jambof3tornado

Well that's not going to happen so stop being a big fearty.

Scarf above heid!!!

Completely pointless observation but does anyone else think his name looks like he should be Japanese?

jamboinglasgow

Completely pointless observation but does anyone else think his name looks like he should be Japanese?

Yeah, must admit I have thought that.

He Who Cannot Be Named

Korean-Japanese

andyscott82

I'm having to concentrate on not calling him Oshinawa every time I say his name. Definitely Japanese-ish

tartofmidlothian

I'm having to concentrate on not calling him Oshinawa every time I say his name. Definitely Japanese-ish

Was going to say exactly the same. All depends how you read it, or misread it.

yes

not sold anyone yet

It will come but happy.days if the money rolls in

Porto are famously a selling club, look at them!!

Arthur Morgan

Yeah, that's one of the first things I thought of when I heard/read his name.

jamboinglasgow

Porto are famously a selling club, look at them!!

You could also put Atletico Madrid and Southampton. Being a selling club can bring success to a team as long as you have the structure to replace players and a playing set-up where the style stays the same so players are brought in to play that not the other way round.

Also there in Porto and Southampton you have the two extremes of how to be a successful selling clubs.

Porto buying South Americans in bulk, so say they sign 10 South americans, they would expect 4 not to make it, another 4 to go on for smaller amounts (say between ?1m and ?5m) and 2 to go for 10 figure sums. You may have paid ?12m for those 10 players but selling a few will bring that back. In a decade from 2003 they ?342m profit alone of player transfers.

Southampton on the other hand are more meticulous with their transfer dealings. Every time they need a new player for the first team they will analyse all possible targets from across the world in minute detail to know they have the ideal signing but they also look at their youth set-up to see if there is a player among their youth ranks who can do the job or be grown into the role to do the job. This is all done in their famous black box. So the player they get in or promote is perfect for the team, to give Southampton the best chance on the pitch and with the team doing well it attracts wealthier clubs who will pick up some of their players. So Southampton do the whole process again and always keep one step ahead. That is why last summer, when they lost so many players they were not affected, because the new players were chosen to match the team's set up.

I think for us we are trying to do the Southampton way on a budget. We dont have the resources to pick any player we want if they fit our scouting, we cant afford the expensive equipment (including multiple cameras on each training pitch to record every minute of training and games at the training centre) nor the multiple full time analysts that Southampton employ to go over hundreds of potential targets. But we can be wise within our market. Getting players in who, like Southampton, are fully researched and leaves us knowing the player will fit in perfectly with the system. Players who might have been out of our league but persistence in trying can pay off. Always keeping a shortlist of potential replacements for our most likely sold players (be it getting players outside the club or promoting from within.) Be smarter to be more successful.

One thing I do wonder is what happens with the transfer fees we would get from selling a player. So say we sold Jamie Walker next summer for ?3m. What will happen to that? Under Romanov we never knew where it went, probably swallowed up in our huge running costs. I doubt we would use it for big money signings as the key is always live within our means so a big money signing means a big wage that we would be unlikely to sustain for more than a season. Do we keep it in an investment pot, to be used to invest throughout the club? One thing I hope we will do is whenever we sell a player who has come through the academy, that a percentage of that money goes back to the academy. So in this Walker example, say 33% goes back to the academy, so ?1m. Of that ?500k should be kept aside to be used in signing youth players (where you normally have to pay a compensation fee to another club.) The problem we have had in the past is that because of the fees, we cant look to get the best players into the academy at a young age if they are at another club, so you have to wait for players to be released and pick them up that way. Only really Celtic are able to pay these fees. So reinvesting money from selling a former academy player means we can recruit top talent earlier which comes through the system, plays well at first team level and then sold on again where part of transfer fee again goes to signing another potential future star or stars.

FarmerTweedy

Juwon is a done deal. 3 year deal for the lad. Welcome to the club when it's officially announced

Scarf above head or GTFO!

FarmerTweedy

Rubbish. Name a club who hasn't sold a player?

That'll be none then.

I was about to reply Sevco, then I remembered Lewis MacLeod!

FarmerTweedy

Porto buying South Americans in bulk, so say they sign 10 South americans, they would expect 4 not to make it, another 4 to go on for smaller amounts (say between ?1m and ?5m) and 2 to go for 10 figure sums. You may have paid ?12m for those 10 players but selling a few will bring that back. In a decade from 2003 they ?342m profit alone of player transfers.

You'd have to be selling to a Japanese club or something to get those figures!

jamboinglasgow

You'd have to be selling to a Japanese club or something to get those figures!

whoops, make that 8 figure sum.

Bert Le Clos

DON'T JUWON ME BABY?!!!11!1!

Or are we not doing a song for him?

3fingersreid

With the mhanks selling Mathews hope they don't look at stealing Juwon as a replacement :(

Let's get the scarf above the head Hearts :)

Jambo 4 Ever

Great news!

But why is it not announced yet? Why delay it if it is a done deal?

With the mhanks selling Mathews hope they don't look at stealing Juwon as a replacement :(

Let's get the scarf above the head Hearts :)

Mathews is a right back,theyve replaced him with Janko.

Archived