Juwon Oshaniwa - signs 3 year deal, scarf above head, etc etc

WSTR

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robbie and Miss Budge said on the weekend they were hoping to have a left back by the end of the week, I'm assuming the work permit was the only stumbling block so I'll be looking out for a klaxon tomorrow

On returning from World Cup duty he asked Nigeria's president, Muhammadu Buhari, if he would consider changing the colour of Nigeria's flag. He said "President, our flag is a beautiful flag for a beautiful country, however, because of Hibs the colours green and white are associated failure, delusion and heroin addiction"

Alright, who's the wikipedia bandit?

While I totally understand its true, it would be nice to leave the "Hearts are a stepping stone" chat till a bit later.

While I totally understand its true, it would be nice to leave the "Hearts are a stepping stone" chat till a bit later.

I'm sure Levein said when he was manager that he wanted players with ambition, any player that just wants to hangs about for the duration of their contract and get comfortable isn't going to push themselves, lets remember most players haven't grown up as jambos

Ibrahim Tall

I'm sure Levein said when he was manager that he wanted players with ambition, any player that just wants to hangs about for the duration of their contract and get comfortable isn't going to push themselves, lets remember most players haven't grown up as jambos

There's nothing wrong with ambition but it's a bit disrespectful to already be planning on leaving a club before you've even signed for them. By all means 'think' it but you don't have to say it out loud.

colinmaroon

Why?

Is it a secret?

It's obviously one, if not the major, selling point for the club that CL and RN will have pushed to get these guys.

Personally, I have no problem with it, IF it brings in quality and commitment.

AndyJack1874

I agree to an extent, but surely CL & RN are looking at him based on what he can offer to the team whilst he's here, but at the same time looking at what he could potentially offer down the line transfer value wise if he's successful?

Like it or not, basically every Scottish club (even Celtic to an extent) are selling clubs for the right price.

CollyWolly

Why?

Is it a secret?

It's obviously one, if not the major, selling point for the club that CL and RN will have pushed to get these guys.

Personally, I have no problem with it, IF it brings in quality and commitment.

I think Craig Levein said in his days as Hearts manager that he wouldn't sign players who had playing for Hearts at the pinnacle of their ambition. To me that's a great piece of realistic thinking and clearly it still holds water.

This guy wants to play in the Premiership. Him achieving that, prior to his deal with us finishing obviously, will make us an absolute bundle IMO. Bring it on I say

Watt-Zeefuik

Scotsman has it now but only citing africanfootball.com, so they're apparently still reading JKB to get the news.

Yep agree with you. Maybe we are being honest in our discussions with players, but it is annoying that there is such an emphasis

hughesie27

I'd be much more concerned if we were signing playets who felt that we will be the pinnacle of their career. Especially a 24 year old.

What a season we will have had this year if half our players earn a move to the EPL.... We will have won at lest one trophy and done brilliantly in the league and have a pot full of cash.

I hate these ******* players that want to do the best for themselves in their careers.

johnking123

Have no problem having players use us as a stepping stone to greater things. We get some good cash and have them try there hardest.

Spellczech

I'd be much more concerned if we were signing playets who felt that we will be the pinnacle of their career. Especially a 24 year old.

yep turned out we pretty much were the pinnacle of Larger Kingston and David Obua's careers and that didn't work out brilliantly for us...

CanadianJamTart

"In January 2015 he was linked with a transfer to Scottish club Celtic [3] Oshaniwa has been recognised by Scottish club Hearts and set to sign a 3 year deal. He has been seen doing the 5-1 sign as part of his work permit agreement with hearts. He was seen boarding a plane to Scotland singing about Hibernian F.C " 5-1 we only one 5-1" & " Big team big cup, wee team we cup".

Asked by a Nigerian journalist why he preferred a move to Hearts over their Scottish rivals Celtic, the International left back responded with this statement: 'I have one goal in life, other than smashing Hibees into the sand, and that's pissing all over Scott Brown and the Celtic bum-boys in the stands'.

Since that moment he was established as a cult hero among Hearts supporters."

Oh, you guys. Giving me a wee morning chuckle

TyphoonJambo

yep, at 17 I started as a clerk in the tax office at Broomhouse. I sat in that chair surrounded by old women and a pile of filing, only sharing the stapler between two of us, my own personal rubber thingy for the end of my finger and a place allready secured on the tea making roster and I thought "you beauty, made it"

Lets face it I didn?t though. We all want to get on, if you can do it by putting on a good performance, putting your self in the shop window and do this in an honest way, without stepping on anyone else on the way, whats not to respect. if the lad comes here and has a blazing three years, whats for Hearts to loose? best of luck to the lad.

Whitburn Hearts

Spade work has been done , time for celtic to nip in a put a spanner in the works .

The Old Tolbooth

I don't get why that part upsets so many people, if we get 2 cracking years out of him and sell him on for a fee, then it's a massive win win situation for us, I'd hope that anyone coming to Hearts would have the same attitude as that to be honest, because it means they'll be trying to play out of their skin and they have ambition. 

The Paille Man

But it's fine for Levein and Neilson to talk about bringing in young players to develop and sell on for a profit further down the line?

It works both ways. Can't fault the guy for showing ambition. Too many talented footballers in this country are content with their lot and don't push themselves to the next level (see Lee Wallace, David Templeton, Scott Brown etc), which is probably why we find it so astonishing when a player like Ryan Gauld decides to move to Sporting Lisbon.

If Oshaniwa has the Premier League in his sights, he will know he needs to work hard and put in the performances to get there,which we will only benefit from in the interim.

yep, at 17 I started as a clerk in the tax office at Broomhouse. I sat in that chair surrounded by old women and a pile of filing, only sharing the stapler between two of us, my own personal rubber thingy for the end of my finger and a place allready secured on the tea making roster and I thought "you beauty, made it"

Lets face it I didn?t though. We all want to get on, if you can do it by putting on a good performance, putting your self in the shop window and do this in an honest way, without stepping on anyone else on the way, whats not to respect. if the lad comes here and has a blazing three years, whats for Hearts to loose? best of luck to the lad.

Did you make it to AO, then?

bringonthesevco

yep, at 17 I started as a clerk in the tax office at Broomhouse. I sat in that chair surrounded by old women and a pile of filing, only sharing the stapler between two of us, my own personal rubber thingy for the end of my finger and a place allready secured on the tea making roster and I thought "you beauty, made it"

My mum worked there LP25 or something like that , bet she is one of the old woman you refer too !!!

If the rest of the SPL can follow suit with signing players with ambition like this then we may have a good league again. We just need to convince players we are as good a step to the premier league as the English championship is and is worth the significantly lower wage.

TyphoonJambo

My mum worked there LP25 or something like that , bet she is one of the old woman you refer too !!!

LP25, scum, LP24, we were the boys, and girls. Nobody messed with us. To be fair the old women were quite frisky so I seriously do hope your mum wasn?t one of them!!!

TyphoonJambo

Did you make it to AO, then?

Started as one, lasted 2 years never looked back since. in all honesty they were a good bunch but who is ever going to appreciate a tax man, on a hiding to nothing all the time.

CL and RN openly say they are looking for players with the quality to use hearts as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, can hardly blame the player for saying the same.

A decent hearts team can also get Europa league qualification probably easier than clubs from other countries can. This is one of the ways to get yourself noticed by bigger clubs who are also competing in Europe.

We're the ideal club for these players so why not use it to our advantage. It's a rare player that stays with a club of our size for a long time if he is something special.

Buffalo Bill

Big Zeefuik said the same thing when he joined Hearts in January. By May he was desperate to stay on here.

I'm happy if Juanma etc says these things, but he'll soon be feeling the Heart of Midlothian love. 

There's nothing wrong with ambition but it's a bit disrespectful to already be planning on leaving a club before you've even signed for them. By all means 'think' it but you don't have to say it out loud.

I take your point but I actually like it and find it refreshingly honest. I think it also makes us more attractive to other players. As someone said, the vast majority of players did not grow up Hearts fans so if positioning ourselves as a springboard is what works to get them here then I hope they keep banging on about it so more take notice.

As I said I take your point but I guess it's all a bit subjective. It's better than the old "I've always been a big fan of [insert club name] and this is a lifelong dream to come to this club" nonsense that we used to get.

scott herbertson

Big Zeefuik said the same thing when he joined Hearts in January. By May he was desperate to stay on here.

I'm happy if Juanma etc says these things, but he'll soon be feeling the Heart of Midlothian love. 

Absolutely - there are very few players who don't settle at Hearts, and who don't fall in love with Edinburgh. Add that to the professional way we are operating, the fan fervour and the new Heriot Watt facilities. We are a great attraction and hard to leave.

Absolutely - there are very few players who don't settle at Hearts, and who don't fall in love with Edinburgh. Add that to the professional way we are operating, the fan fervour and the new Heriot Watt facilities. We are a great attraction and hard to leave.

No way I'd ever leave Scott, or you.

Celtic to snatch him and Collins to come out again and criticise hearts signing no one to challenge them.

Celtic have their eyes on a Dutch left back do they no?

Any way, boy reminds me a bit of Stephane Mahe in the way he plays. Might be wrong; it was along time ago and I smoked a lot of weed back then.

Seems its OK for foreign players to say this. I agree and like that attitude.

Unknown user

Celtic have their eyes on a Dutch left back do they no?

Any way, boy reminds me a bit of Stephane Mahe in the way he plays. Might be wrong; it was along time ago and I smoked a lot of weed back then.

Me too

Sepp's Bladder

Would people prefer Laryea Kingston's attitude?

When Kingston came in he said we were a stepping stone to his goal of playing for barcalona...

Fxxx the SPFL

LP25, scum, LP24, we were the boys, and girls. Nobody messed with us. To be fair the old women were quite frisky so I seriously do hope your mum wasn?t one of them!!!

LAO7 ruled the roost at broomhouse and had the best footie team back in the seventies. lol

When Kingston came in he said we were a stepping stone to his goal of playing for barcalona...

Haha, maybe he meant we were a stepping stone to retirement in Barcelona on the wages he stole from us after being made permanent.

Archived