Christianity

Guest Bilel Mohsni

When I was just a youngster my dad told me that the Hibs were vermin and I believed him.

Now that I'm an adult I still believe the Hibs are vermin, do you see where I'm coming from here?

If you get taught something when your very young it will often stay with you throughout your life, and you will firmly believe it's true.

But it is true.  They are vermin.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say that I visited  the Vatican last week and the Sistine Chapel + St Peters

They are truly awesome.

awe inspiring ( even for an old atheist like me!)

Some of the relics in the Vatican museum- just wow.

Have to say that I visited  the Vatican last week and the Sistine Chapel + St Peters

They are truly awesome.

awe inspiring ( even for an old atheist like me!)

Some of the relics in the Vatican museum- just wow.

Plundered from elsewhere mostly.

Did you go down into the grotto's? And if so did you see the Stuarts tomb?

Plundered from elsewhere mostly.

Did you go down into the grotto's? And if so did you see the Stuarts tomb?

Did the Grotto last time.

And yes plundered this is true.........

But I find the whole thing fascinating

And whilst having no belief myself I refuse to write the whole thing off as evil or stupid,

they still do a lot of good, and I find this current Papa Francesci really engaging

Did the Grotto last time.

And yes plundered this is true.........

But I find the whole thing fascinating

And whilst having no belief myself I refuse to write the whole thing off as evil or stupid,

they still do a lot of good, and I find this current Papa Francesci really engaging

Can't disagree with what you say, I've been in many Churches in Rome as well, I'm not religious in any way, but I just like the architecture, the carvings, the paintings, the history, besides most churches in Rome and elsewhere for that matter are usually built upon older buildings and sometimes that can still be seen, the older the better, that's my forte.

Bit of a rip-off that they are charging the faithful to see John Paul II tomb, since he was made a saint, think it was ?7 or ?9 when I was there in 2014, did manage to see it when it was still free in 2010.

Gotta agree with the appreciation of churches and cathedrals. Say what you like about Christianity, they built some damn impressive buildings.

Governor Tarkin

Gotta agree with the appreciation of churches and cathedrals. Say what you like about Christianity, they built some damn impressive buildings.

Aye, many moons ago I trained as a stonemason at St Mary's Cathedral at the back of Haymarket. It's an awesome building.

I love walking around the old ruined Abbeys. Looking at the old stonework I can almost hear the original masons chiseling away.

Jambo, Goodbye

Aye, many moons ago I trained as a stonemason at St Mary's Cathedral at the back of Haymarket. It's an awesome building.

I love walking around the old ruined Abbeys. Looking at the old stonework I can almost hear the original masons chiseling away.

You must be in absolute heaven in Rosslyn Chapel!

Can see American regressing once more to this religion.

How a developed country can still hold onto such beliefs the way they do is fascinating and baffling at the same time.

I guess we will see how this all pans out in a few years time when all the school leavers will be Christian etc

I guess we will see how this all pans out in a few years time when all the school leavers will be Christian etc

Perhaps it will be a good thing....... as it may reverse a lot of the self serving vanity and nonsense that has replaced it in people's lives.

And I say this as a non-Christian, that the decline in religion in the west has not made people happier, or more fulfilled.

A suspect that if you charted a graph of religious belief against depression, childhood mental illness you would see a link

Perhaps it will be a good thing....... as it may reverse a lot of the self serving vanity and nonsense that has replaced it in people's lives.

And I say this as a non-Christian, that the decline in religion in the west has not made people happier, or more fulfilled.

A suspect that if you charted a graph of religious belief against depression, childhood mental illness you would see a link

If you think the American, evangelical Christianity to which DeVos and the rest of the religious right subscribe is not self-serving, vain nonsense, then you lack even a superficial understanding of the entire Christian Dominionist movement in my home country.

The Scandinavian countries consistently score at the top in both irreligiosity and happiness scales, so if you meant that the graph you proposed would be directly correlative, rather than inversely correlative, you'd likely be correct!

If you think the American, evangelical Christianity to which DeVos and the rest of the religious right subscribe is not self-serving, vain nonsense, then you lack even a superficial understanding of the entire Christian Dominionist movement in my home country.

The Scandinavian countries consistently score at the top in both irreligiosity and happiness scales, so if you meant that the graph you proposed would be directly correlative, rather than inversely correlative, you'd likely be correct!

I know little about the more bonkers Christianity , but I guess that most "new " Christians will be moderate.

I am an atheist myself.

I do however see that the decline in religion in the UK dovetails with community breakdown, rise in depression, family breakdown and general misery for many.

There is little to nothing binding communities and families together now.

Compare this to our Seikh and Muslim communities- they always seem more.....cohesive. They still have "community" around their temple, still get together to eat and pray.

We have replaced religion with isolation, cynicism and narcissism. Look at the plight of the elderly white in this country compared to the elderly Muslims and Seikh.........

They would argue that America is a Christian country though so maybe best to get back to their roots

They would argue that America is a Christian country though so maybe best to get back to their roots

You're right, they would, and they would be wrong.  They would also advance vacuous, easily disproven arguments to make that claim. While pushing a political agenda completely antithetical to the core concepts of the religion they claim to cherish so much.  But regardless, the roots of the constitutional republic that was created in the 18th century are undeniably secular.

I know little about the more bonkers Christianity , but I guess that most "new " Christians will be moderate.

I am an atheist myself.

I do however see that the decline in religion in the UK dovetails with community breakdown, rise in depression, family breakdown and general misery for many.

There is little to nothing binding communities and families together now.

Compare this to our Seikh and Muslim communities- they always seem more.....cohesive. They still have "community" around their temple, still get together to eat and pray.

We have replaced religion with isolation, cynicism and narcissism. Look at the plight of the elderly white in this country compared to the elderly Muslims and Seikh.........

I think you've hit on it.  Religion provides a community, of that there is no doubt.  But it can go either way, as the Scandinavian example shows.  Things don't have to be the way you described.  So in the end I don't think there's a correlation at all either way--at least insofar as the broad idea of "happiness" goes.

• 7 months later...
On 21/02/2017 at 11:39 AM, Justin Z said:

On 21/02/2017 at 11:55 AM, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

When I first read JiH's post, the new format made it look as though Justin's post which he had quoted was his own. I nearly fell off my seat at the lucid insightfulness of it. Makes a lot more sense now though.

2 minutes ago, ManMoth said:

:laugh: no shit

Well we can't expect JiH to be correct all the time. ;)

I still don't get it why, in this age of fake news, people don't use Snopes more than they do.

Just now, redjambo said:

Well we can't expect JiH to be correct all the time. ;)

I still don't get it why, in this age of fake news, people don't use Snopes more than they do.

Likewise, anf the embarrassment you can save with a quick Google - you're on the Internet anyway ffs!

But I'm loving the concept of using snopes to prove a guy didn't really witness jesus doing a miracle :laugh::laugh:

1 minute ago, ManMoth said:

Likewise, anf the embarrassment you can save with a quick Google - you're on the Internet anyway ffs!

But I'm loving the concept of using snopes to prove a guy didn't really witness jesus doing a miracle :laugh::laugh:

:D True. The thing with some people though is that they won't admit they're wrong unless you provide some evidence to the contrary. Even then, of course, those who are truly blinkered will dismiss all evidence contradicting what they believe. But at least some evidence and logic may prevent the more level-headed, but still impressionable, from latching on to fake news and being nudged over to join the ranks of the tin-foil hat wearers. One hopes anyway...

29 minutes ago, ManMoth said:

:laugh: no shit

:lol:

Next; Snopes provides evidence that immaculate conception was biologically unlikely

On 21/02/2017 at 11:39 AM, Justin Z said:

Scandinavia also has highest depression and suicide rates, no?

Add to that highest  rape rates -  a direct result of the post tribe self flagellating religion of cultural relativism that they worship.

Have a look at this Swedish tv report. This is what a truly post Christian, post native culture society looks like. 3rd wave feminists and their hideous contradictions basically running the show. Lots of jest which makes it even more chilling. I don't think I have ever seen anything like it.

https://theoldcontinent.eu/sweden-poly/

I've also got close experience of the Plymouth Brethren Church in UK. Completely sealed off. Mind control. Girls are baby makers as soon as they leave school. The kids laugh at the idea of dinosaurs and evolution. In our post religious society, folks could scarcely believe what true belief looks like.

Conclusion - building a purely secular, rational world is utopic. It doesn't meet the human death drive instinct or need for a community having a 'higher purpose.'  I think this is illustrated by the same 'blind faith' mentality existing post-tribe as seen in the Sweden vid. Ironically this vacuum is often filled by those with the cultural or religious convictions of their tribe.

The Huns , Vandals, Rome.

1 hour ago, GlasgoJambo said:

:lol:

Next; Snopes provides evidence that immaculate conception was biologically unlikely

I don't think "immaculate conception" is what you think it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_conception

Snopes is in fact useful in this regard:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/immaculate.asp

On 11/10/2017 at 01:12, redjambo said:

I don't think "immaculate conception" is what you think it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_conception

Snopes is in fact useful in this regard:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/immaculate.asp

:facepalm:

Well I never! Not sure I could have picked a worse example to make my snidey point - like scoring two own goals in one game. 

1 hour ago, GlasgoJambo said:

:facepalm:

Well I never! Not sure I could have picked a worse example to make my snidey point - like scoring two own goals in one game. 

:D To be honest, I was as surprised as you are. I only, for a bit of fun, searched on Snopes for "immaculate conception" to see if anything came up. It makes me wonder how many other misconceptions (pun unintended) I still have.

Archived