Greek islands

Heres Rixxy

Heres Rixxy

The bursd is keen for a couple of weeks in Greece this summer. I've been to Rhodes, Kos and Athens before so looking for recommendations of other islands preferable not overrun by family holidays...

Also wondering the best way to travel between islands.

It depends of course what you're looking for, but I found Spetses and Hydra to be nice wee islands, and easily reachable by the same ferry from Piraeus. Both not overrun by tourists.

Heres Rixxy

Thanks will take a look.

Want to find nice beaches, good snorkelling, but with other stuff to do/see in a town or nearby. Or nice coastal drives.

I don't know many of the islands, I've only ever been to Rhodes and then Symi - also in the Dodecanese. I have relatives who live there and it's just gorgeous.

It's very very quiet though so you'd not be overrun by holidaymakers or anything but you shouldn't go expecting something action packed, the pace of life is very sedate to say the least. Very Greek :)

We went out on a boat round some of the other islands (a wee shufty past Turkey at one point!) and swam and had BBQ and it was just amazing. I love that corner of the world.

The big orange and blue catamarans seem to be the way to get around - Dodecanese Seaways I think it is. I fully intend to go back as soon as I can. Love it.

symi1.jpg

For something a little different, I should add Crete to the list as well. You can get flights straight to Chania from Scotland by Ryanair. They're real characters the Cretans, particularly on the western south coast, an area where you may also have to manoeuvre round frequent rock falls and goats on the roads. The food is simply amazing.

Attractions include walking the Samari? Gorge, and visiting the Palace of Knossos at Heraklion.

For beaches, see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/greece/crete/35970/Crete-beaches.html

loveofthegame

Basically you can't go that wrong in the Greek islands if you stay away from the 18-30 shitholes (Malia, Faliraki etc).

Parga on the mainland is amazing too.

I went to Santorini with the Mrs, it is absolutely incredible.

I went there on a cruise with the school when I was a bairn for the day. Went back 30 years later with me Mum and family for a fortnight. Awesome island. Cracking volcanic beach at Kamari and Perissa.

Crete is also great.

I had a holiday  in Corfu a few years ago (Sidari - it was dire) but did a yacht trip around the north of the island and spent a day around Kassiopi, which was lovely. Would definitely go back to Corfu to see that again. The north of the island is really beautiful and relatively unspoiled.

Just back from Crete. Can't say enough good things. Stunning scenery, great food, nice people and, most importantly for a tourist spot, it's not just blackpool with sun or a 3rd rate ibiza.

I've not been to other smaller islands, but i'd say the benefits are better infrastructure, easier to get to, wider range of accomodation and activities and a more diverse geography. But it depends what you want really.

Shanks said no

My highlights from a few years ago pre kids when wife and I did a lot of island bagging were

Skiathos - great beaches and airport runway that's a tourist attraction

Symi - sailing into the port blew us away and really friendly

Kos - early 80's had parts that were new to tourism and amazing

Aegina - hottest 2 week holiday ever, people were dying (ok not necessarily a highlight!)

Crete (west) - less commercial and more laid back

Ithaca - worth the effort to get to

Rhodes, Thassos, Halkidiki, Corfu, Crete (east), Parga and Zante were all more touristy, possibly because they were easier for the bucket and spade brigade to get to.

We are booked up to hit Kefalonia and Mykonos in the next 14 months.

I always used to go to Skopelos. Fly to Skiathos and then a transfer by hydrofoil of abut an hour. Very quiet with nice beaches. 

The real big plus though is not a lot of the usual package holiday crowd as the idea of a transfer puts them off and the town has no beach worth speaking about so you have to get the bus to the beach. A few good tavernas and a relaxed feeling about the place.

Unknown user

For something a little different, I should add Crete to the list as well. You can get flights straight to Chania from Scotland by Ryanair. They're real characters the Cretans, particularly on the western south coast, an area where you may also have to manoeuvre round frequent rock falls and goats on the roads. The food is simply amazing.

Attractions include walking the Samari? Gorge, and visiting the Palace of Knossos at Heraklion.

For beaches, see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/greece/crete/35970/Crete-beaches.html

Seconded, we went to western Crete last year, it was brilliant. The food is just gorgeous and the people are great.

• 4 years later...
Shanks said no
On 19/05/2015 at 23:59, The Frenchman Returns said:

My highlights from a few years ago pre kids when wife and I did a lot of island bagging were

Skiathos - great beaches and airport runway that's a tourist attraction

Symi - sailing into the port blew us away and really friendly

Kos - early 80's had parts that were new to tourism and amazing

Aegina - hottest 2 week holiday ever, people were dying (ok not necessarily a highlight!)

Crete (west) - less commercial and more laid back

Ithaca - worth the effort to get to

Rhodes, Thassos, Halkidiki, Corfu, Crete (east), Parga and Zante were all more touristy, possibly because they were easier for the bucket and spade brigade to get to.

We are booked up to hit Kefalonia and Mykonos in the next 14 months.

Skiathos Airport, looks like this BA pilot cut it fine

Mrs F and I stood there 2 weeks ago on the way back from Skopelos 

22 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Skiathos Airport, looks like this BA pilot cut it fine

Mrs F and I stood there 2 weeks ago on the way back from Skopelos 

Certainly doesn’t look like the most secure runway in the world!  

Was in Stalis, Crete a couple of years ago and really liked it. Went up to Koutalafari a couple of nights and liked the look of it so going back this years for two weeks 

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

I went to Stalis in '15. 

Enjoyed it too.

When we saw the English bars and that thought it wasn't gonna be for us but had a great time. Loads of decent tavernas and boozers. Nice beach too

48 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, plenty to do if you wanted to stay away from them. We were in the Robin Hood a few nights though, as it wasn't to bad in all honesty. 

We walked to Malia & back one night. Malia was dead by then, but the drinks were much cheapness.

Aye we did the quiz night in there. There was a belting music quiz in another one too. Even won it once. Was the guy who looked like Super Mario working in the takeway place by the church when you were there?

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

I always find that flights to Greece are pretty expensive 

We are aiming to get easyJet Edinburgh to Athens flights next year booking as soon as they are released and have already picked the first island we plan to ferry it to

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Yep. Gyros place? Ate there a couple of times. Was still ringing his bell too. :lol:

Our hotel was just down the steps behind that place.

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, gjcc said:

4 years and not a single Lesbos joke. Kickback, I am disappointed in you. 

Spent 2 weeks there with Mrs F and probably exhausted every joke and innuendo.

Anyway since I posted basic island reviews 4 years ago I have been back again and again

Mykonos - really nice but expensive because its Mykonos, I don't mind paying for the best restaurants and it turned out our hotel was right next to the top rated one on the island and it was delicious food but everywhere you went was dearer than the rest of Greece. 

Kefalonia - as someone posted earlier, beautiful place, great food and VFM. Good mix of touristy but still Greek.

Lesbos - stayed in Molyvos and it was a stunning old Greek town with only a small British presence, just how we like it. Wide mix of different nationalities

Skopelos - just back 17 days and I am missing it greatly. Because its hard to get to Brits rarely stay. Off our TC flight there were only 7 adventurers transferring over. Not spoiled by Mamma Mia and settling back in genuine Greek tranquility. 

Kalymnos - some of the best Greek food, old school hospitality that we hadn't experience since the 80's

Telendos - long story short, listen to your parents, mine were there in the 90's and recommended it. As usual I knew better but eventually bit the bullet and went. No cars or motorbikes. Only way to get there is my a small ferry boat or yacht. I fell in love instantly, it took Mrs F slightly longer but she burst into tears when we left. I never go back to the same place but this wee gem might change that......

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

6 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Was in Stalis, Crete a couple of years ago and really liked it. Went up to Koutalafari a couple of nights and liked the look of it so going back this years for two weeks 

Been to Koutouloufari for past 7 years, amazing place.

Was in Zante a couple of weeks ago for a family wedding, first time for me. People were great and we had a brilliant boat trip. Stay away from Laganas unless you like fights, football tops and stepping over comatose drunks. We were in Argassi and it's a lot quieter

Jambo-Jimbo

Did a cruise last year which took in 3 Greek Islands.

Ok I know we were only there for half a day in each place but you still got a feel if you would go back for a longer holiday or not.

Mykonos - Didn't spend much time here as we had a trip to Delos booked, anyway seen the Windmills, Little Venice & some narrow pretty streets.

Would we go back, probably not.

Rhodes - Spent the day in Rhodes Town, seen what we wanted to see, and not sure whether we'd go back or not, if we did it would be to a different area.

Santorini - Outstanding picture postcard views, could really have spent more time here.

Would definitely go back, but maybe only once more, don't think I could go back time and time again.

Not and Island but we also had a day trip to Athens and we were both very pleasantly surprised by it, and would go back for a 3 or 4 night stay now.

Only other Greek Island I've been to was Crete, a week in Malia back in '98, guess it's time we went back, did look at it for this year, but we choose Malta instead, probably should have choosen Crete tbh.

12 hours ago, Johnny D said:

Been to Koutouloufari for past 7 years, amazing place.

We really liked the tavernas up there. Staying at Asterias Village. Looks nice

Heading to Rhodes a week on Saturday for a week with my wife. Will be my first time there, looking forward to it. 

40 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

We really liked the tavernas up there. Staying at Asterias Village. Looks nice

Stayed in Asterias  twice, but there's a he'll of a lot better. Enjoy the hill or steps out of the complex, they're murder.

Edited by Johnny D

On 19/05/2015 at 17:33, redjambo said:

Absolutely love Crete and the cretans themselves, if on the north side of the island I'd recommend staying somewhere like Stalis, nice and quiet with a good beach but also close to Malia on one side and Hersonissos to the other.

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not and Island but we also had a day trip to Athens and we were both very pleasantly surprised by it, and would go back for a 3 or 4 night stay now.

I wasn't keen on Athens at all, found that the main squares etc themselves were pristine but 10 yards in any direction off the square and the place was manky. We stayed 30 yards off syntagma square and were walking past folk shooting up in the street!

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Did a cruise last year which took in 3 Greek Islands.

Ok I know we were only there for half a day in each place but you still got a feel if you would go back for a longer holiday or not.

Santorini - Outstanding picture postcard views, could really have spent more time here.

Would definitely go back, but maybe only once more, don't think I could go back time and time again.

Based on my mates experience I think you got the best taster.

He went for a short trip and hated it. He said of course it was beautiful but outwith that there was little to do and found overall the time there dull. Says it was an absolute tourist trap and paid through the nose for everything in comparison to the good value elsewhere in greece.

I've never been but no real desire to visit unless, like you, it was a short stop.

2 hours ago, Johnny D said:

Stayed in Asterias  twice, but there's a he'll of a lot better. Enjoy the hill or steps out of the complex, they're murder.

It’s cool mate I’m an athlete.

Mrs JH tho 😀

2 hours ago, Walrus said:

Heading to Rhodes a week on Saturday for a week with my wife. Will be my first time there, looking forward to it. 

We’ve been to Pefkos 3 times. I’m not one for going back to places but love it there. 

Shanks said no
50 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

He went for a short trip and hated it. He said of course it was beautiful but outwith that there was little to do and found overall the time there dull. Says it was an absolute tourist trap and paid through the nose for everything in comparison to the good value elsewhere in greece.

I've never been but no real desire to visit unless, like you, it was a short stop.

Have to agree, I have always avoided Santorini because of the cruise ships.

only there and Samos that have direct flights from the UK that I haven’t used.

Jambo-Jimbo
7 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Yeh can understand that a week could be too long, and if I went back it would be for 3 days max.

We pre-booked trips prior to leaving the UK and the one we went on included a trip to Oia at one end of the Island then onto a winery at the other end of the island and so you got to see the caldera from each end of the Island and from the centre at Fira.

If we had had more time I would have liked to have visited the Akrotiri archaeological site.

Knew prices would be higher due to the fact that it was a tourist trap, that's part & parcel with these places.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, Ribble said:

I wasn't keen on Athens at all, found that the main squares etc themselves were pristine but 10 yards in any direction off the square and the place was manky. We stayed 30 yards off syntagma square and were walking past folk shooting up in the street!

Must have been lucky as we didn't see anything like that, went to the Panathenaic Stadium, then up the Acropolis, then walked up some side streets to the Plaka area and back again to Hadrian's arch, streets were clean, that's one of the things we were pleasantly surprised at, at how clean the streets were, even off the main street.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Ribble said:

Absolutely love Crete and the cretans themselves, if on the north side of the island I'd recommend staying somewhere like Stalis, nice and quiet with a good beach but also close to Malia on one side and Hersonissos to the other.

Seconded, and the food is just amazing. We loved Chania especially

On 16/07/2019 at 18:50, gjcc said:

4 years and not a single Lesbos joke. Kickback, I am disappointed in you. 

Never mind that, get your Greek adventure told. :D 

Captain Sausage
11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Seconded, and the food is just amazing. We loved Chania especially

Crete was amazing. Loved Rethymnon. Absolutely beautiful. 

22 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Northern Corfu. Tremendous.

Get the ferry over to Albania as well. Beautiful.

Agreed, Sidari is a beautiful wee town with some absolutely stunning views.

Going to Crete later in the year too so will be untested to compare the two islands. 

Rodger Mellie

Not been to Greece (Crete) since 1996. Do you still have to put used bog roll in little bins by the toilet?!

15 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Must have been lucky as we didn't see anything like that, went to the Panathenaic Stadium, then up the Acropolis, then walked up some side streets to the Plaka area and back again to Hadrian's arch, streets were clean, that's one of the things we were pleasantly surprised at, at how clean the streets were, even off the main street.

The most graffited city in Europe.....They have had hard times but the city needs a clean up

There is a real mixture of good and bad..the port area is pretty nice and there are areas around the museums and Acropolis that are okay but.......

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

The most graffited city in Europe.....They have had hard times but the city needs a clean up

There is a real mixture of good and bad..the port area is pretty nice and there are areas around the museums and Acropolis that are okay but.......

Rome is exactly the same, in the historical centre, the main/side tourist streets and around the Vatican it's usually clean and tidy, but outwith those areas the graffiti is something else, even the apartment buildings on the city outskirts on the drive/train into the Termini Station look like something out of 60's or 70's in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 15:55, Jamhammer said:

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 15:57, Barack said:

I went to Stalis in '15. 

Enjoyed it too.

Better be guid, flying out Thursday (Stalis). What's the best way to get to Koutouloufari if we fancy it, bus, taxi? Any other do's & don'ts would be helpful, cheers. :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, Barack said:

Walking...if able...about an hour.

Bus to Hersonissos from the main road...cheap & frequent. You can walk it from there.

Taxi one way...10 mins and about €10.

We hired an 80cc Moped and used that to go as far as Agios Nikolaos. We took a boat trip to Spinalonga, the old Leper Colony. Made famous by the book: The Island. That was good!  Maybe €8-€10 each return. Take your own water though! Went up and did the "loop" in the mountains too.

Visit the Gyros place across from the main square, we've mentioned on here. Cretan Family Restaurant. You'll hear Mario before you see it.

Restaurant Creta...right on the beach. Great food. Hellas Taverna. Maria's Golden Beach.

Buses to Heraklion easy too. Go there. Good Greek historical museum in the middle of town. Knossos is worth a day out too.

Trouble with Crete, is that it's so big. I thought driving one end of Cyprus end to end was a pain in the arse. Not compared to Crete. When we go back again, we'll do the other end towards Rythemnon. 

Use Trip Advisor, and see what you fancy really. There's plenty for all ages and tastes. Quiz nights etc. Beach Bars. The beach itself is nice too, and plenty bars give you free sunbeds if you buy a drink off of them. Bottle of water each...€2...yours for the day. We paid for a couple more as that seemed a bit cheeky.

Good central resort. Have fun.

Brilliant, you've pretty much confirmed what the punters on TA have recommended, loads to do, see eat & drink.

Was the Spinalong boat trip from Ag Nik? Creta restaurant looks the biz!

Done the moped thing in Corfu years ago, nae lives left, a wee car might be an option.

One more thing, is credit/pre-paid cards widely accepted? I heard their financial setup was ropey for a while.

Thanks in advance for all the info, very much appreciated.