Paulie Walnut

Stadium Update - council APPROVES plan for new stand!

systemx

Large tractor leveling out the sand today before laying new turf.Was in working under the Wheatfield today

johnking123

Our best chance is to flatten and rotate the stadium 90 degrees. Buy the small pitch from the distillers. That would give us more breathing space . Would take a couple of years to do though!

Drewboy

Interesting to see Bristol Rovers in some controversy over their proposed new stadium.

It would seat 21,700 and cost ?40m - though that includes a conference centre and teaching facilities for the university:

• Supporters club bar
  • Club shop
  • 1000 seat conference centre and banqueting suite
  • 28 executive boxes
  • Convenience store
  • Gym and jogging track
  • Cr?che
  • 19,000sq ft of teaching space for UWE
Uwe_stadium_proposal.jpg
That looks fantastic. I'd vote to move from Tynie for something like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugly American

The council director in charge at the time told that the cost of moving the tanks was ?2m

If they are not moved, we are limited to no more than 10% added capacity, which means any new development would be limited to 1,745 or so additional seats.

Interesting, thanks.  I wonder if that's been mitigated at all by NB's purchase of the old high school.

trotter

Add to these a Safety Certificate, which may limit the additional capacity.  "Can 25,000 people be evacuated in a satisfactorily speedy manner in an emergency" is a question that may be posed.

To a certain extent, that is a function of design, but you are quite correct. 

Hearts007

"The council director in charge at the time told that the cost of moving the tanks was ?2m"..... Christ what's in them. Liquid gold?

kingantti1874

I genuinely believe if we could find a suitable site moving would be the best option. The training pitches next to murrayfield would be perfect

FarmerTweedy

I know you know - others on here some very confused.

Ah, ok, I thought it seemed like you didn't know I know, but now I know you know I know, it's all good! Y'know?

Swanny17

I genuinely believe if we could find a suitable site moving would be the best option. The training pitches next to murrayfield would be perfect

Isn't that a flood plain?

johnking123

Could easily put a stadium at Saughton park. Over the running track and 5 a side pitches

Sub4TiddlerMurray

"The council director in charge at the time told that the cost of moving the tanks was ?2m"..... Christ what's in them. Liquid gold?

ethanol

kingantti1874

No idea

fabienleclerq

Dunno if they've sorted it but iirc it flooded and so did the stadium. If we are moving the best place would be next to the pits or carrack knowe golf course imo.

Poseidon

Dunno if they've sorted it but iirc it flooded and so did the stadium. If we are moving the best place would be next to the pits or carrack knowe golf course imo.

It's still a flood plain and if they tried to prevent it flooding there it would just push the problem further downstream.

I reckon one of those 2 other sites would work though. Be interested to see if Carrick Knowe GC is profitable or not, I expect not but would be interested to see the numbers

fabienleclerq

It's still a flood plain and if they tried to prevent it flooding there it would just push the problem further downstream.

I reckon one of those 2 other sites would work though. Be interested to see if Carrick Knowe GC is profitable or not, I expect not but would be interested to see the numbers

There was a rumour it wasn't and the council wanted to ditch one of their courses a while back, no idea if it's true but it seems a backhander and it's ours!

Mysterion

If we were to move then I do believe we'll end up with a German style stadium (we've seen 2 or 3 stadiums with fantastic looking terraces and in close proximity to the pitch).

My hope is that we can obtain as much land as possible around Tynecastle and start with a blank canvas and squeeze that style of stadium in. FoH should be the driver to fund this development. I suspect Ann will be with us to deliver a new stadium/stand.

papata

Let's start a new main stand fund going , less talking & give us something to dae wi nae footy for 2 months , just an idea

jamtartan74

Let's start a new main stand fund going , less talking & give us something to dae wi nae footy for 2 months , just an idea

not such a bad idea, obviously people already part with hard earned cash as it is but if an extra ?10 or whatever was added to a separate kitty every month by even half the foh contributors then it would soon pay off, I would definitely be up for it, staying in Gorgie is my preferred option, wouldn't be the same if we moved [emoji20]

Ugly American

not such a bad idea, obviously people already part with hard earned cash as it is but if an extra ?10 or whatever was added to a separate kitty every month by even half the foh contributors then it would soon pay off, I would definitely be up for it, staying in Gorgie is my preferred option, wouldn't be the same if we moved [emoji20]

I'd do another ?10/month just for the stadium.

Poseidon

I'd also do ?10/month on top, just for the stadium

sac

I'd do another ?10/month just for the stadium.

Likewise

Nookie Bear

I'd pay extra but only on basis we remained in Gorgie.

Phil D. Corners

I happy to keep pledge going to get the stadium I want where I want it.

GavK1012

I would double my monthly wack to fund the progress forward whether tynie or somewhere else if it was worthy of moving...

Pans Jambo

8000 folk donating ?10/month = ?80,000 per month.

What would it cost to build a decent main stand??? ?10Million???

That would only take 125 months (or almost 10 and a half years).

Non-starter

fabienleclerq

Non-starter

Are you turning your nose up at 80k a month?? Say we get a sponsor and find other funding or sell a player for a few million then it comes down below ten years quite quickly.

Poseidon

Non-starter

Why not? Start now and have a decent wedge saved up before ground is broken, Ann Budge pays the balance and we pay it back to her. Simple :)

Pans Jambo

Are you turning your nose up at 80k a month?? Say we get a sponsor and find other funding or sell a player for a few million then it comes down below ten years quite quickly.

Of course not. Knickerz - twist?

Non-starter IF its just us thats saving for a stand. A fund to "boost" any other income is of course helpful & I would certainly contribute. Do you know of any interested parties willing to cough up?

I remember 18 months ago we almost went to the wall because we could not find a sugar-daddy willing to give us ?2.5Mill. Thank god for Mrs Budge!

Certainly cant see anyone willing to chuck say ?6Mill in our direction any time soon but your right though, we could sell a player for ?6Mill. Who? & When?

Ray Gin

Interesting to see Bristol Rovers in some controversy over their proposed new stadium.

It would seat 21,700 and cost ?40m  - though that includes a conference centre and teaching facilities for the university:

• Supporters club bar
  • Club shop
  • 1000 seat conference centre and banqueting suite
  • 28 executive boxes
  • Convenience store
  • Gym and jogging track
  • Cr?che
  • 19,000sq ft of teaching space for UWE

Uwe_stadium_proposal.jpg

uwestadium_front.jpg

Needs steeper stands.

fabienleclerq

Of course not. Knickerz - twist?

Non-starter IF its just us thats saving for a stand. A fund to "boost" any other income is of course helpful & I would certainly contribute. Do you know of any interested parties willing to cough up?

I remember 18 months ago we almost went to the wall because we could not find a sugar-daddy willing to give us ?2.5Mill. Thank god for Mrs Budge!

Certainly cant see anyone willing to chuck say ?6Mill in our direction any time soon but your right though, we could sell a player for ?6Mill. Who? & When?

I'm not sure how you could interpret that as me having my knickers in a twist.

Say we sell walker for 2 million and we get a sponsor for the stand for talking sake a million for ten years. In five years our 80k pot is five million so there's 8 million. Someone came forward to pay for the save the children deal so maybe someone else will. Hardly pie in the sky or a non starter.

johnking123

It's going to cost a lot more than just replacing a stand.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Like towards Leith......... Murrayfield training pitches it is then.

tynie chris

Non-starter

The extra income generated from the bigger main stand would also bring the deficit down a bit, plus sponsors etc, thoughts.

jambo-rocker

My favourite part about this 'we don't have the funds or where we're going to get them' malark, is the grand assumption that the stand would be paid for upfront and not over payments on a long term basis.

Yoda

My favourite part about this 'we don't have the funds or where we're going to get them' malark, is the grand assumption that the stand would be paid for upfront and not over payments on a long term basis.

Agreed.  We could pay it off like a mortgage.  No club has paid for its ground up front.  I think Arsenal are still paying off their mortgage.

Back to 2005

Don't Bristol rovers only average about 5000 per game? Nice stadium though.

Thomaso

Agreed.  We could pay it off like a mortgage.  No club has paid for its ground up front.  I think Arsenal are still paying off their mortgage.

And according to the Bitters it is NOT a debt!        :deal2:

Poseidon

And who knows, maybe even a bank may be prepared to lend us the cash if we have shown 5 years of very steady FoH income by that point.

Even if not, I'm confident Ann Budge would find a way as she doesn't strike me as the type to leave a job half done

Hearts007

And according to the Bitters it is NOT a debt!        :deal2:

mmm so if we pay it like a mortgage then in a couple of years come to an arrangement to wipe it out..they will have nothing to say then? because that's what they done

Ugly American

Non-starter

3-4 years of donations + extra income from the stand + naming rights + small loan (<40% of total cost) paid for by further years of donations + player sales (I don't think ?3-5m in the next five years is unreasonable given the young talent we have).

I've tried to get an idea of what the cost would be looking at other similar projects, and while each project is different, here's the ranges I would expect:

?10m - decent but vanilla 6-8k seat stand

?15m - 10k new stand with extra amenities, corporate boxes, bars, better catering, etc.

?20m - Above new stand plus corners filled plus renovations and amenities additions to other three stands.

chrisyboy7

If we can get too 10k pledgers that average around ?16 per month that's 1.92 million a year. This would go a long way to any loan agreement fir stadium development. Plus we couldhave player sales that will also help. I hope we can go for 25k seats but have the option to expand to around 30k if we continue to grow. By keeping the prices attractive & a good team on the park this has to be our long term goal. This would give us a far better chance in competing for the league. People that want a wee 20k stadium should go and support the wee team. Lol

Buffalo Bill

If we can get too 10k pledgers that average around ?16 per month that's 1.92 million a year. This would go a long way to any loan agreement fir stadium development. Plus we couldhave player sales that will also help. I hope we can go for 25k seats but have the option to expand to around 30k if we continue to grow. By keeping the prices attractive & a good team on the park this has to be our long term goal. This would give us a far better chance in competing for the league. People that want a wee 20k stadium should go and support the wee team. Lol

If the club could secure the land, planning and finance to bring Tynecastle up to 20,000 then I think they'd run with that.

chrisyboy7

If the club could secure the land, planning and finance to bring Tynecastle up to 20,000 then I think they'd run with that.

20k isn't big enough

Tasavallan

Original problem was the length of the pitch. Solved by removing couple of rows from Roseburn. Criteria may have changed?

Get the impression plan will be to rebuild Main stand with possibly some minor alterations elsewhere

The pitch dimensions is the main criteria that impacts the stands.   If the stadium has to be re-designed for European matches then Tynecastle needs more than just minor refurbishment.  

A new main stand with curved ends set further back into McLeod Street might resolve the width issue but the Roseburn Stand would need moving further back or more rows removed.

EIEIO

20k isn't big enough

Would be initially, could also be constructed to make further expansion possible at a later date if demand is still not met.

sac

The extra income generated from the bigger main stand would also bring the deficit down a bit, plus sponsors etc, thoughts.

Correct. It finances itself if it sells out at least six times a season (which is not unrealistic by any means). So the repayment costs reduce quicker the more sell outs we have,

Player sales, Euro ties, cup runs, successful league campaigns etc would all contribute to reducing the cost of construction in a shorter timescale.

If we see ourselves as the third force in Scottish football it would be good if our capacity reflected that by having one more seat/space than the club in that position for now.

blairdin

The pitch dimensions is the main criteria that impacts the stands.   If the stadium has to be re-designed for European matches then Tynecastle needs more than just minor refurbishment.  

A new main stand with curved ends set further back into McLeod Street might resolve the width issue but the Roseburn Stand would need moving further back or more rows removed.

I'm no structural engineer, but I don't think the Roseburn stand can simply be moved back as it supports the roof of the Wheatfield stand. The Gorgie, Wheatfield and Roseburn stand roofs all support each other. The towers in the four corners (with the floodlights attached) are the issue.

If we want to stay at Tynie, we need to build what we can on the site of the existing main stand and hope we get dispensation if we reach the group stages of the UEFA Cup (for example).

I just can't see a stadium of much more than 20,000 at Tynecastle being either possible or economical. That's what makes the stadium decision so difficult - we can't have it all.

Edited by blairdin

Buffalo Bill

20k isn't big enough

In an ideal world, if we had the money, space and planning to build a 12,000-seater Main Stand then we'd have a stadium holding 25,000.

But I just can't see that happening.

I can however envisage a possibility of us being able to build a Main Stand of 7.5-8,000, providing we got that planning permission and control of the other McLeod St buildings.

I think out of all the scenarios, this is the most likely; just my opinion.

pablo

I think 20k is big enough for as long as we play in a Scottish League. If something crazy happened and we found ourself established in the top tier of British football, then obviously that would change things.

sac

In an ideal world, if we had the money, space and planning to build a 12,000-seater Main Stand then we'd have a stadium holding 25,000.

But I just can't see that happening.

I can however envisage a possibility of us being able to build a Main Stand of 7.5-8,000, providing we got that planning permission and control of the other McLeod St buildings.

I think out of all the scenarios, this is the most likely; just my opinion.

It would be remiss not to at least seek some sort of assurance that permission and subsequent approval would be granted if we are able to meet the criteria. After that we are only limited by our budget and the imagination of the architects given the brief to design something that keeps Tynie as one of the top stadia for atmosphere.