Portobello High School

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

I won 4 (in a row) Scottish cups with Porty High School under the stewardship of the great Toni Szifris.

Did anyone attend this fine school? I was deputy head boy and captain of Scotland u-17 and u-19 basketball team at the time, though we had a wicked footie team too (I played LB with a team containing Jackie McNamara at the time)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scott herbertson

• chester copperpot

• Craig Herbertson

• felix

Serj Tankian

Aye 78-83 same time as Robbo and davie bowman had john ingles ( Aberdeen and st Johnstone ) in a few classes

early to mid ninety's.  Toni Szifris was still P.E teacher but done swap with an american teacher for a year. still see him kicking about joppa

Aye, personally I hated the place, it says a lot when a school's main sport is basketball - blessed to have not got asbestos poisoning in my time there

FORTHCLYDE

Did they not have a good chess team in the 1970's? I think one of their team was Scottish champion.

chester copperpot

I know lots of boys that went to Porty and the majority are dicks ;)

Lol roond ye!

Did they not have a good chess team in the 1970's? I think one of their team was Scottish champion.

I was in that team......and Robbos art class !

scott herbertson

I was East of Scotland Under 16 champion when I was 13

Went to Porty 1967-73

Great chess team from 1964-1972ish

Before me there were the Bell Brothers and Billy Cowie (now a composer and dance choreographer) The Bell brothers were brainy as anything and invented a chess clock for all 6 games which ran in series

Craig Herbertson

Went to Porty 1967-73

Before me there were the Bell Brothers and Billy Cowie (now a composer and dance choreographer) The Bell brothers were brainy as anything and invented a chess clock for all 6 games which ran in series

And I followed after winning many games because people thought I was you.

skinnybob72

84-89

If they want a hand to knock it down they can give me a sledgehammer.

[emoji1]. Went past the park the day actually for the first time in ages. It'll be weird to see a new school there.

Jamboross

2000 - 2005. Glad they're finally getting the new building the place needed razing to the ground long before I ever started there. 

Rick James

Went past the new site the other day for the first time since work started. Looks massive.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Didn't go there but I have a cousin who was a teacher there for a while.

tommythejambo

2001-07, was deputy head boy as well.

Was an alright school. Some utter dicks kicking about though.

Played them a few times at football. Always assumed it was a special needs school.

chester copperpot

Played them a few times at football. Always assumed it was a special needs school.

:rofl:

Papped by the mighty Porty, NAP!

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Went to Porty 1967-73

I was there then as well, in the same year as Mike McCartney, Law Dunn, Ralph Callaghan.  Neil Murray was a teacher at the time. 

We must have been in the same year, Scott, but I don't remember you.  Is that your right name or your "nom de JKB"?

• 1 year later...
Say What Again

This.

Best post on the thread IMO.

When you say a great chess team, do you mean one or two guys that kicked the arse out of every competition they attended, or was there quite a few of them?

chester copperpot

This.

Best post on the thread IMO.

:lol:

I went to a reunion early June when the school opened up all its depts to former pupils.

Met a few lassies who were tidy back in the day........they are no longer tidy!

alwaysthereinspirit

I went to a reunion early June when the school opened up all its depts to former pupils.

Nothing worse than a shot down memory.

"oh my god, wtf happened to you" is a dead give away.

2001-07, was deputy head boy as well.

Was an alright school. Some utter dicks kicking about though.

Same, probably know each other. Small world lol.

When I was at Porty all the under age boozers went to the Sheeps Heed . Imagine if the Queen came in.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

heartgarfunkel

I always wanted to ride the notorious elevators but not without bodyguards.

Central lift after lunchtime was a bit tasty back in the distant days of the 1980s. Mass pogo and gobbing at the jannies in the lift, a total free-for-all, but they could give it back - Graeme the Ginger English jannie wore steel-toe capped boots. :cheese:

heartgarfunkel

Seems all the top posters on this forum went to Porty.

PYC

:thumb:

Edited by heartgarfunkel

ArcticJambo

Central lift after lunchtime was a bit tasty back in the distant days of the 1980s. Mass pogo and gobbing at the jannies in the lift, a total free-for-all, but they could give it back - Graeme the Ginger English jannie wore steel-toe capped boots. :cheese:

Ginger jannies at Porty ... must have had rhino skin.   :kenneth::death:

conn artist

He is still there. Been there 35 years or so.

Never been to a school reunion. Don't think I would.

Most of the folk at my school were arseholes then, and are probably still arseholes now.

conn artist

He isn't. He sadly passed away recently.

Really. I used to be in the council facilities management department left just over a year ago. Used to be in the school every day. Sad news. He loved that building.

Really. I used to be in the council facilities management department left just over a year ago. Used to be in the school every day. Sad news. He loved that building.

Yeh. Really great guy, as you say he live and breathed that place. He had not long retired as well (2015). Tragic.

Judge Fudge

84-88 Mr Dempster head of music was a particular favourite of mine. Mad as a box of spiders. Would sit smoking his pipe in class, and instigate arguments at any opportunity. Walking in the main gates and under the first block was great on high wind days, saw many a pupil knocked off their feet and sent skidding across the playground. And who can forget squirrel the janny. A haunted man, happy days, sort of.

I was there 86-90 and yes Mr dempster was mad but very entertaining. I played a wee bit of basketball and Mr szifris was a great coach. The old annex was the best bit about being at porty for 1st & 2nd year.

Edited by beardbeer