Scottish Election 2016 Megathread

Gorgiewave

Only a little over a year to go so this is the one-stop JKB shop for views, news, speculation, etc.

To kick off: Reading ability has fallen in Scottish schools since 2012:

"Official figures show performance in reading dropped in primary schools between 2012 and 2014 - as well as in the second year of secondary school.

Recorded performance in writing at some levels in primary school and in S2 also fell over the same period, according to a report from Scotland's chief statistician."

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/visitandlearn/25488.aspx

Since there may be some confusion about whether a certain policy is relevant for this election, i.e., if the Scottish Parliament is competent in that area, here's a list of what it does and does not deal with:

Devolved matters

Devolved matters include:

• agriculture, forestry and fisheries
  • education and training
  • environment
  • health and social services
  • housing
  • law and order (including the licensing of air weapons)
  • local government
  • sport and the arts
  • tourism and economic development
  • many aspects of transport
Reserved matters

Reserved matters include:

• benefits and social security
  • immigration
  • defence
  • foreign policy
  • employment
  • broadcasting
  • trade and industry
  • nuclear energy, oil, coal, gas and electricity
  • consumer rights
  • data protection
  • the Constitution

Further detais here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/46/schedule/5

Stuart Lyon

There is already a thread about this but it is under the guise of relating to the forthcoming general election.

Just read today's GE 2015 thread, GW.

All has become clear.

I will re-join this thread when the GE and it's aftermath have been kickbacked to death....probably about September.

The Spanish might call it the Scottish General Election.

We call it the Election for the Scottish Parliament.

Anyway see you in 2016. :bored:

Another clean sweep for the Party of Scotland.

The SNP. Mintit.

Next week first.

• Moderators

I think we will run with one election thread at a time. I will re-open this after the UK election is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Now open.

Thanks, mods.

Labour....37 seats last time with nearly 32% of the vote.

Frankly, they have to increase that because the only other options I can see are another SNP explosion or a Tory gain to a point that they might become the second party.

First things first.....Murphy must go...!

Thanks, mods.

Labour....37 seats last time with nearly 32% of the vote.

Frankly, they have to increase that because the only other options I can see are another SNP explosion or a Tory gain to a point that they might become the second party.

First things first.....Murphy must go...!

Increased Greens perhaps?

Increased Greens perhaps?

This.

Patrick Harvey deserves it.

Other thread is dead to me. 

So are we going to continue down the one party state road, or are people going to vote issues this election?

Other thread is dead to me.

So are we going to continue down the one party state road, or are people going to vote issues this election?

Will u be voting libdem?

Will u be voting libdem?

Ha. last time around i was Lib Dem local, green regional. We shall see what the manifestos look like. do most people vote the same for the local and the region?

SO because you didn't like the way people voted they didn't vote on issues, 70 years we win a couple of elections and the whole system is broken.

Just curious if people will vote SNP to continue the crusade on the single issue (assuming that is what THIS election is about) or will it be a proper debate on multiple issues.

The Mighty Thor

I personally hope that the people of Scotland learn to vote tactically to stop huge numbers of Labour MSP's being returned via the list system, particularly arseholes like Jim Murphy.

Same with Ruth Davidson, who came 4th in her seat. 4th. Think about that for a minute. 4th. That's a positive madate then. :thumb:

Just curious if people will vote SNP to continue the crusade on the single issue (assuming that is what THIS election is about) or will it be a proper debate on multiple issues.

I voted SNP last week, but will probably go Green/Green for Holyrood.  Voting SNP last week was as tactical a vote as any other could be, for me at least.

Are you talking about Kickback and this thread specifically or the wider debate in General?

both really. This past election never really moved to issues. I hear a lot aboit scotland being politically engaged but I didn't see it.

Well I'm hoping that the Greens get a massive share of the list vote.

Other than that, with the state of Labour at present and no way to know how they reshape themselves (down south it looks like they will go to the right), nor with us yet to know whether we get the watered down Smith Commission powers or something more substantial, it seems one would almost need to see the future to meaningfully discuss the Holyrood election with so much is likely to substantially change over the next few months.

both really. This past election never really moved to issues. I hear a lot aboit scotland being politically engaged but I didn't see it.

There were no issues raised anywhere; it was the wettest general election since the last local parish election in Atlantis.

doctor jambo

SNP losing my votes this time

- based on their record on Guardians, wind farms, and total loss of control over Steven House

AlphonseCapone

I'll vote SNP in every election until Scotland is independent.

****ing love these threads. The tears and snotters brigage piss and moan for a year or so, putting off floating voters and then set off on a new election to piss and moan about. Joyous times.

Only a little over a year to go so this is the one-stop JKB shop for views, news, speculation, etc.

To kick off: Reading ability has fallen in Scottish schools since 2012:

"Official figures show performance in reading dropped in primary schools between 2012 and 2014 - as well as in the second year of secondary school.

Recorded performance in writing at some levels in primary school and in S2 also fell over the same period, according to a report from Scotland's chief statistician."

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/visitandlearn/25488.aspx

Since there may be some confusion about whether a certain policy is relevant for this election, i.e., if the Scottish Parliament is competent in that area, here's a list of what it does and does not deal with:

Devolved matters

Devolved matters include:

• agriculture, forestry and fisheries
  • education and training
  • environment
  • health and social services
  • housing
  • law and order (including the licensing of air weapons)
  • local government
  • sport and the arts
  • tourism and economic development
  • many aspects of transport
Reserved matters

• immigration
  • defence
  • foreign policy
  • employment
  • broadcasting
  • trade and industry
  • consumer rights
  • data protection
  • the Constitution

Further detais here:

It doesnt matter

It will be a bigger majority for the SNP

Another slow step towards Independence

It doesnt matter

It will be a bigger majority for the SNP

Another slow step towards Independence

Keep dreaming bud. I hope Cameron offers FFA and watch sturgeon squirm and backtrack.

Keep dreaming bud. I hope Cameron offers FFA and watch sturgeon squirm and backtrack.

It doesnt matter what is offerered

It an unstoppable force.and there is no stopping it no matter what anyone says on a forum

Clunk click

SNP are gonnae skoosh it.

End thread.

yes, I'm kind of behind this sentiment

on the other hand the question I have in the interests of getting a better society is...

what are the SNP achievements in last 8 years of Government?

what are they aiming to achieve for people and how are they going about this?

specifically how are they developing policies and actions in areas of education and health to improve people's life chances?

I'm happy to wait till next year though

Malinga the Swinga

It doesnt matter what is offerered

It an unstoppable force.and there is no stopping it no matter what anyone says on a forum

Clunk click

Apart from the fact that the referendum ended in glorious Hibby like failure for the SNP and their supporters. Whereas the noisy and arrogant Yes vote thought they had everything secured under the smiling snake Salmond, the quiet No majority bided their time and shot his campaign down in flames. Pretty much stopped it then and will stop it again, should the losing 45 % continue to kick up a fuss and winge about independence, crying about deserving another referendum.

Ive put my name forward to be considered as a candidate by my party of choice.

If selected i expect 100% support from the great JKB community.

And yes the SNP will skoosh this. Tories will pick up more list seats and will narrow the gap to Labour.

There will be more Greens than Lib Dems and somewhere UKIP will annoyingly pick up a list MP.

Malinga the Swinga

Don't get the support for the Green Party. Ridiculous agendas that would serve to ruin and destroy the country but wrapped in a cuddly manner to appeal to the softer side of people.

And yes the SNP will skoosh this. Tories will pick up more list seats and will narrow the gap to Labour.

There will be more Greens than Lib Dems and somewhere UKIP will annoyingly pick up a list MP.

Interesting statement regarding the greens. do you think they will pull both yes and no voters? 

I'm unlikely to vote for them again. They haven't been able to separate themselves from the SNP and fear that they would be willing to be in coalition to keep the SNP in government. 

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Depressingly the SNP will gain an increased majority, if nothing significant changes. How close they will get to all 73 constituencies will be the biggest prediction market probably. 

Just noticed that some folk called the 'Angus Independents Representatives' ran in 2011 on the list. 

edit: and the Greens will probably have a lot of SNP voters backing them on the list. They'll increase their seats. 

Who is your party of choice ?

TUSC?

Don't get the support for the Green Party. Ridiculous agendas that would serve to ruin and destroy the country but wrapped in a cuddly manner to appeal to the softer side of people.

Nonsense, The Scottish and NI Greens are less mental.

Apart from the fact that the referendum ended in glorious Hibby like failure for the SNP and their supporters. Whereas the noisy and arrogant Yes vote thought they had everything secured under the smiling snake Salmond, the quiet No majority bided their time and shot his campaign down in flames. Pretty much stopped it then and will stop it again, should the losing 45 % continue to kick up a fuss and winge about independence, crying about deserving another referendum.

If there was a vote todayi think it would be a completely different result.

SNP will wait though untill 100%  sure

The referendum wasn't an election.

Don't know about you but I never voted for any party last September...in fact, I know you didn't because you couldn't.

It's no difficult.

SNP will wait though untill 100% sure

It would still be a no. As there are still so many unanswered questions.

Reserved matters

• immigration
  • defence
  • foreign policy
  • employment
  • broadcasting
  • trade and industrial legislation
  • consumer rights
  • data protection
  • the Constitution
Further detais here:

That would be the correct way to list the powers. Anything not here is open for the Scottish Parliament. Even elements of broadcasting are.

The Scotland Act doesn't prescriptively set powers, it restricts. Meaning it's an enabling Act and gives breadth of competency for the Scottish Parliament and government. Only that which is reserved cannot be legislated on, anything else is open to business.

Great peice of drafting.

Nonsense, The Scottish and NI Greens are less mental.

Less mental because they want to close the oil industry or less mental because they also back a citizens wage and a 0 growth economy?

Malinga the Swinga

Another clean sweep for the Party of Scotland.

The SNP. Mintit.

Next week first.

Don't you need to have a first clean sweep before you can have 'another'?

Who is your party of choice ?

Ruth's red, white and blue army.

Im not on board with 100% (and i am still troubled by the Westminster party rhetoric from time to time) but it most closely aligns with my general views on low tax, small state, and fiscal and individual responsibility.

I love what the Welsh Tories are doing right now and an excited for the Scottish party to continue down that road of traditional 'blue collar conservatism' (the party can and should be popular amongst "ordinary working people" once again) and gake it back to its core values (which too many in the party seem to have forgotten, it wouldn't surprise me if some senior English tories couldn't even list what conservatism as a 'theory' is actually about) which would ensure all policies be centred round a social conscience designed to give people a hand up not a hand out (again too often forgotten at Westminster).

It probably wont come to anything but i'd like to give it a go and be a bit more active in trying to drive modernisation within the party.

Probably opening myself to further pelters on here but better to be out their fighting than just typing on a keyboard on a football forum.

Malinga the Swinga

SNP will wait though untill 100%  sure

think the result would be marginally bigger for No than the last time, but hopefully we won't find out for another 10 to 15 years at least.

Don't you need to have a first clean sweep before you can have 'another'?

Your gonnae make yoursel ill Mal.

Calm doon.

Archived