Are we in end times?

Jambo 4 Ever

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Are we dead yet?

With beer gardens being open and a relatively warm and rain-free weekend forecast I thought I might actually have made it to heaven. 

No, not yet, seems the 'experts' read the Mayan calendar wrong............again.

So by courtesy of some fruitloaf getting their sums wrong you can go and enjoy the fine weather and have a beer or two.

Bindy Badgy
On 06/07/2020 at 20:22, Maple Leaf said:

Bubonic plague is caused by a bacteria, and can be very successfully treated by antibiotics.  It's no longer the fearsome scourge it was in the 13th and 14th centuries.

It still kills people every year in countries like Madagascar. Anyone with access to modern health care doesn't have much to worry about at present. It may become a major issue again if we don't do something about antibiotic resistance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590053619300230

Yersinia pestis is the bacteria that causes plague, one of the deadliest diseases in human history. Three major plague pandemics (the Justinian Plague, the Black Death and the Modern Plague) have been recorded. Each caused massive fatalities and has become defining events in the time periods in places that were affected. The presence of natural plague foci in rodents across the world is one of the risk factors for human plague. While plague is a relatively rare problem for most countries, more than 90% of plague cases in the world still occur in Africa. This article discusses the threat of Yersinia pestis in the modern world by considering its prevalence and severity of illness it causes, transmission, antibiotic resistance, and its potential as a bioweapon.

Recently, two strains of Yersinia pestis were found to exhibit antibiotic resistance. Y. pestis 17/95 carries 8 antibiotic resistances on a plasmid of 150 kb called pIP1202 and is reported to exhibit high-level resistance to eight antimicrobial agents used for treatment and some prophylactic drugs. It is also resistant to some of the typical alternative drugs such as ampicillin, kanamycin, and spectinomycin. Whilst Y. pestis 16/95 has only streptomycin resistance on a plasmid of 40 kb called pIP1203, it remains susceptible to other antibiotic treatment [84]. The transfer of the antibiotic resistances to E. coli may be important as E. coli has a documented history of interbacterial species transmission of antibiotic resistances. Currently, both of these strains are confined to Madagascar. If they reach another country in which the plague is endemic, antibiotic resistant genes could be spread to the endemic plague population. It may also spread to other bacteria in the same way that it does with E. coli. Furthermore, if some E. coli carry the plasmid containing the resistance genes from Y. pestis, antibiotic resistance may be transferred to other bacteria.

9 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

It still kills people every year in countries like Madagascar. Anyone with access to modern health care doesn't have much to worry about at present. It may become a major issue again if we don't do something about antibiotic resistance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590053619300230

Yes indeed.  The bacteria seem to be winning the arms race with humans.  We're staying in the game by continually developing new antibiotics, but I can envision a time when nothing works any more, and we'll be back to the pre-20th century days when a scratch from a rose bush could kill a person.

Jambo-Jimbo
47 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes indeed.  The bacteria seem to be winning the arms race with humans.  We're staying in the game by continually developing new antibiotics, but I can envision a time when nothing works any more, and we'll be back to the pre-20th century days when a scratch from a rose bush could kill a person.

We are already there, there are some bugs which nothing works on now.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/biggest-threats.html

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We are already there, there are some bugs which nothing works on now.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/biggest-threats.html

Just as COVID-19 came out of nowhere and caused hundreds of thousands of deaths, so far, a highly virulent antibiotic-resistant bacteria could also suddenly appear, with the same or worse, effect.

It's just a matter of time, imo.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Just as COVID-19 came out of nowhere and caused hundreds of thousands of deaths, so far, a highly virulent antibiotic-resistant bacteria could also suddenly appear, with the same or worse, effect.

It's just a matter of time, imo.

Totally, I've said on another thread, that it was only a matter of time before Mother Nature reminded us who the real boss was around here.

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Totally, I've said on another thread, that it was only a matter of time before Mother Nature reminded us who the real boss was around here.

People forget that. Mother Nature is indeed very tangibly the boss and not some human manufactured deity up in the clouds.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

End is nigh!! suppose one day someone will be right,pity they will be no-one to hear the cries of "I told you so"🤣

Exactly, it'll happen so quick few of us will even know that it's the end.

2 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

End is nigh!! suppose one day someone will be right,pity they will be no-one to hear the cries of "I told you so"🤣

Aye, but those Aliens. 👽

Jambo_jim2001
9 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

They will be able to read this thread when we are all gone 

Maybes reading it the now🤔take it you've been near fester road 😉

adambraejambo

Once we beat Celtic in the final they can do what they want. Make a great fireworks display as bombs drop*

*If St Mirren are winning in the Cup game let the bombs drop at 89 mins so game can't be finished . We can get them in the rearranged fixture in 2422 . Our striker maybe will have 3 legs by then and our defenders be a set of twins joined at the hip. Perfect for offside trap! **

** obv I joking.  

2 hours ago, adambraejambo said:

Once we beat Celtic in the final they can do what they want. Make a great fireworks display as bombs drop*

*If St Mirren are winning in the Cup game let the bombs drop at 89 mins so game can't be finished . We can get them in the rearranged fixture in 2422 . Our striker maybe will have 3 legs by then and our defenders be a set of twins joined at the hip. Perfect for offside trap! **

** obv I joking.  

Mushroom cloud backdrop as Gordon lifts the cup :) 

The Doomsday clock was at 100 seconds to midnight yesterday, wonder if they'll wind it forward a wee bit now.

Edit: only gets set in January, hope we make it to January 2023.

Edited by graygo

The Bannon Flick
6 hours ago, adambraejambo said:

** obv I joking.  

Nah, Neilson will play the three legged striker out left to accommodate Simms and the co-joined twins form will have dropped massively after signing a pre-contract with Rangers.

We’ll be fine though - Smith will be back from injury shortly 

9 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

They will be able to read this thread when we are all gone 

9 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Didn't you notice,they have no ears😳😳

9 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Maybes reading it the now🤔take it you've been near fester road 😉

They can't, their glasses will fall off, because they no ears.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Why have you posted the same thing in two different threads?

Someone told him to take it elsewhere. I think it might be posted on 3 threads. Biden, Ukraine and here.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Someone told him to take it elsewhere. I think it might be posted on 3 threads. Biden, Ukraine and here.

I told him to take it elsewhere. I didn't mean another thread though, I meant "take it the feck away from this forum"

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I told him to take it elsewhere. I didn't mean another thread though, I meant "take it the feck away from this forum"

1 minute ago, graygo said:

:D I know. He's mental.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Unreal.

And to think I got a covid thread ban for calling him a w****o 😞 

You think you can get through without a ban and then. Aw feck... Let me back oan. :D

Edited by ri Alban

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Unreal.

And to think I got a covid thread ban for calling him a w****o 😞 

Getting banned from that thread isn't a bad thing, I got banned about a year ago and I'm sure that if I hadn't I'd be forum banned by now. 😄

Bindy Badgy
On 06/07/2020 at 21:22, Maple Leaf said:

Bubonic plague is caused by a bacteria, and can be very successfully treated by antibiotics.  It's no longer the fearsome scourge it was in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Anti-biotic resistance is becoming an issue. It obviously isn't as big an issue as it was but, there is the potential for future problems.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC1610074/

The isolation in Madagascar of two multidrug-resistant strains of Y. pestis, one resistant to all of the antimicrobial agents recommended for treatment and prophylaxis of plague and the other resistant to a smaller array of drugs, is worrisome. The demonstration that horizontal gene transfer in the flea midgut may be the source of antibiotic-resistant Y. pestis strains is of great concern and indicates that such a clinically ominous event may occur again. There is also concern that a biological attack with Y. pestis might employ a natural or engineered antimicrobial-resistant strain. Surveillance of antibiotic resistance in Y. pestis should therefore become systematic worldwide.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

276284081_4899003986877712_4152549759812429770_n.jpg

Blue skies and freezing here. Get fracking and get the North Sea oil going to warm up the world a wee bit more. 

34 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

276284081_4899003986877712_4152549759812429770_n.jpg

I'm not sure what the normal temp this time of year in the Antarctic is, but -75 for early autumn seems a bit cold.

Same as if it was -60 in Spring in the Arctic. 

Current temp in Arctic, -42.

Edited by SUTOL
add current temp.

ArcticJambo

Where I used to live in northern Canada, at close to 73 degrees N it is -25C today.

Historically, on this day we have ...

Highest temperature (1976-2008)
  • -3.7°C 1980
Lowest temperature (1976-2008)
  • -41.7°C 1993

and,

Highest Temperature (2013-2022)-3.2 °C 2013

Lowest Temperature (2013-2022)-35.8 °C 2017

Just as an example!

Jambo_jim2001
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Where I used to live in northern Canada, at close to 73 degrees N it is -25C today.

Historically, on this day we have ...

Highest temperature (1976-2008)
  • -3.7°C 1980
Lowest temperature (1976-2008)
  • -41.7°C 1993

and,

Highest Temperature (2013-2022)-3.2 °C 2013

Lowest Temperature (2013-2022)-35.8 °C 2017

Just as an example!

Freeze the balls off a pawnbrokers sign🥶🥶

So where are we?

Pandemic.  Check.

Threat of nuclear pagger.  Check.

Threat of a real life Waterworld?  Ok.

Any city sized meteors on the way?

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Freeze the balls off a pawnbrokers sign🥶🥶

Aye, anything over -35C ambient is cold, noticeably cold!

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

So where are we?

Pandemic.  Check.

Threat of nuclear pagger.  Check.

Threat of a real life Waterworld?  Ok.

Any city sized meteors on the way?

No, but apparently one half the size of a giraffe hit last week. 

• 6 months later...
37 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

If Robbie and the team don't pull the finger out, probably 🤬

More chance of that happening than anything to do with the made up sky fairy pish.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

More chance of that happening than anything to do with the made up sky fairy pish.

The  🌞 is very real.

Jambo_jim2001
33 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can you still use the fairy word??😲