Are we in end times?

Jambo 4 Ever

Cherry picking from the bible, a made up story? What a lot of shite.

This. You'd be as well picking out lines from Harry Potter.

The bibles end tine prophesy can seem convincing at first glance.

But you have to bear in mind that this is a book that claims that penguins made their way to the Middle East to board a big boat the size of a football pitch, made by a 600 year old man and his family.

Doesn't sound legit.

Jambo 4 Ever

But you have to bear in mind that this is a book that claims that penguins made their way to the Middle East to board a big boat the size of a football pitch, made by a 600 year old man and his family.

Doesn't sound legit.

Fair point, but I struggle to argue this with those who tell me we are in end times and the bible backs this up - There are two people I work with who are adamant this is the case and when things happen in the news, like the recent earth quake or the killings of Christians - they say this is all supposed to happen, according to the bible, in the lead up to end times

Fair point, but I struggle to argue this with those who tell me we are in end times and the bible backs this up - There are two people I work with who are adamant this is the case and when things happen in the news, like the recent earth quake or the killings of Christians - they say this is all supposed to happen, according to the bible, in the lead up to end times

It's the same as horoscopes or Nostradamus or any other predictions.

It's easy enough to interpret them any way you like. I really wouldn't worry about it but if you makes you feel better, by all means start preparing for the rapture.

I'll skip it though.

Unknown user

There's no point arguing with people who believe shite like that.

They're already sacrificing facts, science and history to keep their beliefs intact- you won't even make a dent

It's a Westminster conspiracy. DYOR and come to the same conclusion as everybody else in the "herd of independent minds".

Can you tell me, what religion are they?

There are only a few religions who actively preach the end times idea.

I don't want to appear picky but I'm not 100% convinced penguins had to go on the ark so they wouldn't drown.

Noah's Ark,one huge fairytale.

An impossibility.

The Future's Maroon

I though we were going to be 'done in' when it turned year 2000, or again in 2012...

My personal opinion on the bible, which wont please some, is the whole lot is a load of bollocks.

Walter Bishop

Are you typing this whilst hiding from the world under your bed? Shit happens. 

Edited by Walter Bishop

It's a lovely spring morning here, the kind of fresh air that makes you feel totally alive. I haven't seen any of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse out on the roads, nor have the dead started rising from their graves.

News happens all the time, earthquakes happen regularly as we live on a tectonically active planet. People of all and no faiths die all the time - sometimes in natural disasters, sometimes accidents, sometimes wars, sometimes even when one religion has a pop at another's followers. Yet overall deaths from wars etc are dropping, globally, and we are quicker to send relief and aid to places struck by disasters to mitigate the effects and save as many lives as possible.

Frankly I don't understand the mindset of the religious types who are actively wishing to herald in "end times" since, with so many competing religions they are basically celebrating the potential end of billions of lives all just to satisfy their hubris in having backed the right horse. What a callous, pathetic mindset that is.

Lots of religions and lots of so-called "prophets" have insisted they knew the end was coming and some, like the Jehovahs Witnesses, have even made firm predictions in 1914, 1918, 1925, 1974, 1984 & 1989. Harold Camper insisted the end times where nigh when really he just wanted them to happen in his lifetime. And then there was the trainer cult who killed themselves at the top of a hill as they expected not only the end of times but also a spacecraft to come along at that exact moment and save them.

If this stuff really does spook you just apply some logic to it. The planet has survived for approximately 4.5 billion years. Unless we have an unexpected extinction event like nuking ourselves our a massive meteor strike then we know when the end of times is for humanity - about 1.3 billion years time when the sun's output increases to the point the surface of our planet is too hot for survival. I hope we will be off-planet and out in the Universe by then.

So relax. And just laugh at your idiotic colleagues and their obsession with death-cults. At least you aren't living your life according to such a ridiculous doctrine. 

Jambo 4 Ever

Can you tell me, what religion are they?

There are only a few religions who actively preach the end times idea.

They said they are penticostal? 

Jambo 4 Ever

It's a lovely spring morning here, the kind of fresh air that makes you feel totally alive. I haven't seen any of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse out on the roads, nor have the dead started rising from their graves.

News happens all the time, earthquakes happen regularly as we live on a tectonically active planet. People of all and no faiths die all the time - sometimes in natural disasters, sometimes accidents, sometimes wars, sometimes even when one religion has a pop at another's followers. Yet overall deaths from wars etc are dropping, globally, and we are quicker to send relief and aid to places struck by disasters to mitigate the effects and save as many lives as possible.

Frankly I don't understand the mindset of the religious types who are actively wishing to herald in "end times" since, with so many competing religions they are basically celebrating the potential end of billions of lives all just to satisfy their hubris in having backed the right horse. What a callous, pathetic mindset that is.

Lots of religions and lots of so-called "prophets" have insisted they knew the end was coming and some, like the Jehovahs Witnesses, have even made firm predictions in 1914, 1918, 1925, 1974, 1984 & 1989. Harold Camper insisted the end times where nigh when really he just wanted them to happen in his lifetime. And then there was the trainer cult who killed themselves at the top of a hill as they expected not only the end of times but also a spacecraft to come along at that exact moment and save them.

If this stuff really does spook you just apply some logic to it. The planet has survived for approximately 4.5 billion years. Unless we have an unexpected extinction event like nuking ourselves our a massive meteor strike then we know when the end of times is for humanity - about 1.3 billion years time when the sun's output increases to the point the surface of our planet is too hot for survival. I hope we will be off-planet and out in the Universe by then.

So relax. And just laugh at your idiotic colleagues and their obsession with death-cults. At least you aren't living your life according to such a ridiculous doctrine. 

Thanks for this response!   I also cringe a bit when these people at my work say the world is only several thousand years old though

Doesn't sound legit.

Aye, there seems to be a flaw there right enough. 

If they could wait till after Saturday that would be super.

Thanks for this response!   I also cringe a bit when these people at my work say the world is only several thousand years old though

Hahaha.  Where do you work?  I presume it's the same people spouting end of times rubbish that also believe the world is only a few thousand years old?

Auld Reekin'

Was listening on radio last night to a debate on whether we in close to final days

http://www.signs-of-end-times.com/

Personally I don't think so... Scaremongering and cherry picking parts of the bible. What do others think?

No we're not. A quick browse through that website tells you all you need to know about the complete and utter horseshite that those who think we are believe. A tasty chunk of anti-catholic bigotry in there as well...

The bible (any religious book from any era) is a fantasy story designed to make the masses shit themselves and behave. Its a control document and a proper piece of fiction.

For that reason.......I'm out! 

Riddley Walker

Are there any predictions in the bible that hasn't happened I wonder...

I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not...

What has happened in Nepal is terrible, but not entirely unexpected.  Those really, really big mountains are there for a reason.  Tsunamis will happen and will wipe out low lying islands in the Pacific.  It's likely, at some point in the future, that a significant movement in the San Andreas fault could do majordamage to that part of the USA's west coast.  These things aren't down to anyone's god (and with a god like that, who needs a devil?); it's down to bits of the world moving around and bumping against each other. 

If you were a god, and if you were minded to create a world, you might want to consider making it a slighlty less hazardous place in which to place your lifeforms.

here's another way of looking at the title subject which has nothing to do with sky fairies. If you accept that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old and adopt the old adage of comparing this to a 24 hour clock, then Jesus Christ appeared at about 25 seconds to modnight (or something like that) and the tme period post-industrial revolution started about 5 seconds ago. This incredibly short time has brought about changes that nobody could have foreseen 200 years ago.

During that time, we've had 2 world wars - the first based on Imperialism and the second based on misguided political idealism. A third, if our species survived it, would for the first time, mean a massively regressive step for mankind, and possibly wipe us out. All the signs are that a third if it ever happens, will be founded upon religious fundamentalism/idealism. The ability to wage cataclysmic war no longer depends on massive leaps in technology, but access to information which is becoming ever more pervasive. Couple this with the belief that death will result in the ultimate salvation and you have a very powerful cocktail.

I think it is 50:50 that we will have some kind of wipe-out event in the next 50 years. This could be war, or disease, or mass starvation (we are still totally dependent on organic and fossil fuels which will be depleted massively on the coming decades) but for lots of reasons other than earthquakes and tsunami's, it could be argued that mankind is reaching the end of its tenure.

The Future's Maroon

What has happened in Nepal is terrible, but not entirely unexpected.  Those really, really big mountains are there for a reason.  Tsunamis will happen and will wipe out low lying islands in the Pacific.  It's likely, at some point in the future, that a significant movement in the San Andreas fault could do majordamage to that part of the USA's west coast.  These things aren't down to anyone's god (and with a god like that, who needs a devil?); it's down to bits of the world moving around and bumping against each other. 

If you were a god, and if you were minded to create a world, you might want to consider making it a slighlty less hazardous place in which to place your lifeforms.

Its the same with the massive volcano under Yellowstone park, if...no sorry that is wrong, when that goes off which it is expected to do so, it will affect the whole world, possibly a close to wiping the lot of us out job?

This is scaremongering, the scientists know fine well it will go off, and reasonably soon (in their terms in the next couple of thousand years is classed as soon, I am sure they even say it could happen today, tomorrow next week. Which I think is slightly worrying)! 

Got told by a boy at work the day, it is indeed the end of days :sad: Just been down the shops and bought 144 loafs of bread and now heading into my dungeon. I mean basement.

See you in hell candy boys.

What has happened in Nepal is terrible, but not entirely unexpected. Those really, really big mountains are there for a reason. Tsunamis will happen and will wipe out low lying islands in the Pacific. It's likely, at some point in the future, that a significant movement in the San Andreas fault could do majordamage to that part of the USA's west coast. These things aren't down to anyone's god (and with a god like that, who needs a devil?); it's down to bits of the world moving around and bumping against each other.

^^^^^ entirely this.

As David Attenborough said, it's all very well pointing to a cute little kitten or a butterfly and saying 'look at gods work', but then you've got to apply the same logic to other things which presumably were created, that are devastating to humans and the earth itself.

^^^^^ entirely this.

As David Attenborough said, it's all very well pointing to a cute little kitten or a butterfly and saying 'look at gods work', but then you've got to apply the same logic to other things which presumably were created, that are devastating to humans and the earth itself.

Correct.

here's another way of looking at the title subject which has nothing to do with sky fairies. If you accept that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old and adopt the old adage of comparing this to a 24 hour clock, then Jesus Christ appeared at about 25 seconds to modnight (or something like that) and the tme period post-industrial revolution started about 5 seconds ago. This incredibly short time has brought about changes that nobody could have foreseen 200 years ago.

During that time, we've had 2 world wars - the first based on Imperialism and the second based on misguided political idealism. A third, if our species survived it, would for the first time, mean a massively regressive step for mankind, and possibly wipe us out. All the signs are that a third if it ever happens, will be founded upon religious fundamentalism/idealism. The ability to wage cataclysmic war no longer depends on massive leaps in technology, but access to information which is becoming ever more pervasive. Couple this with the belief that death will result in the ultimate salvation and you have a very powerful cocktail.

I think it is 50:50 that we will have some kind of wipe-out event in the next 50 years. This could be war, or disease, or mass starvation (we are still totally dependent on organic and fossil fuels which will be depleted massively on the coming decades) but for lots of reasons other than earthquakes and tsunami's, it could be argued that mankind is reaching the end of its tenure.

If you take the life of the sun and it's predicted end and compare that to the 24hr clock, it's even more stark.

We, as a species appeared about 3 seconds to midday and will check out as a species about a second to midday.

We're not even going to make it till lunchtime, guys...just enjoy it and leave the hocus pocus.

Auld Reekin'

haha I might have to forward that on to them!

Let us know what they think... Maybe they could try the same thing with adders (if they can find any), or - failing that - feral cats or rottweilers or somesuch dangerous (if tormented anyway) creature found in central Scotland.

On a slightly different note, do your pentecostalists also weigh-in at around the 25st mark?

Its the same with the massive volcano under Yellowstone park, if...no sorry that is wrong, when that goes off which it is expected to do so, it will affect the whole world, possibly a close to wiping the lot of us out job?

This is scaremongering, the scientists know fine well it will go off, and reasonably soon (in their terms in the next couple of thousand years is classed as soon, I am sure they even say it could happen today, tomorrow next week. Which I think is slightly worrying)! 

The caldera at Yellowstone is showing zero signs of imminent eruption with the effects of a "super-volcano" limited to about a circumference of 40 miles of lava and ash which would spread about 500 miles. NOT an extinction event at all - infact with global warming the cooling effect of volcanic eruptions is quite important (indeed it was numerous volcanic eruptions that helped cool the early earth into a temperature zone in which life could survive).

Jambo 4 Ever

Let us know what they think... Maybe they could try the same thing with adders (if they can find any), or - failing that - feral cats or rottweilers or somesuch dangerous (if tormented anyway) creature found in central Scotland.

On a slightly different note, do your pentecostalists also weigh-in at around the 25st mark?

I showed it to them, but they said their's is a bit different apparently - They are members of AOG?  Nah they are all quite skinny

• 4 weeks later...

There's a difference between wiping out Homo sapiens and ending western civilisation. We came nearest to wiping out Homo sapiens about 70k years ago when a huge volcanic explosion in Sumatra (Toba super volcano) caused cooling and a global 'winter' that reduced human numbers to just a few thousand. The genetic bottleneck this caused is still being expressed today.

Restonbabe

in fairness and logic. I just pulled out clumps of my hair as i was brushing it so the end is nigh!

deesidejambo

in fairness and logic. I just pulled out clumps of my hair as i was brushing it so the end is nigh!

Maybe for you it is.     Only kidding.