Showbox/Droidbox etc

Pans Jambo

Just read something about getting free movies/sky sports on the SKY topic in the terrace by getting a "Droidbox".

Haven't a clue what that is but I guess it's something to do with the Android software but I only have Apple gear.

I was on holiday to Gran Canaria & watched the derby in a pub. The guy had a "Showbox" system which got almost everything but he paid around 350euros a year subscription.

Whats out there thats subscription free that can get the latest movies, sports channels etc?

Fed up paying for Sky to watch adverts every 12 minutes and recently cancelled my sky sports.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlphonseCapone

Look on amazon, you can pick up android boxes for about ?60 one off, I've been told to buy it off some mob with truckers in their name as they are the only ones who update regularly.

You can also get kodi on a laptop and plug into tv usinf hdmi cable, all free bar the cable.

http://www.droidsticks.co.uk/

Check these guys out. I bought one from them, pre loaded with all the channels you could want. Free new movies as soon as they come out. Saturday 3pm kick offs from the Premiership. All the box sets. All the live TV subscription channels. It'll have Mayweather vs  Pacquio on it too. Works like a dream. Great support. Plenty of You Tube videos on how to work it.

Needs a decent and consistent broadband speed to get the best out of it, but for less than ?100 its a steal !!

If you already have a smart TV is there anything you can download to do the same without buying a box? 

Vincent B.A

Check these guys out. I bought one from them, pre loaded with all the channels you could want. Free new movies as soon as they come out. Saturday 3pm kick offs from the Premiership. All the box sets. All the live TV subscription channels. It'll have Mayweather vs  Pacquio on it too. Works like a dream. Great support. Plenty of You Tube videos on how to work it.

Needs a decent and consistent broadband speed to get the best out of it, but for less than ?100 its a steal !!

That looks superb. Did you go for the T8-AML-V2 Amlogic S802 model? Think I'll get one of these.

AlphonseCapone

If you already have a smart TV is there anything you can download to do the same without buying a box?

I have showbox and hd cinema on my phone, both free, which I just play through my smart tv via wifi.

How many of the streams are in HD?

Does the buffering work ok?

mrmarkus1981

They are the same streams you would find online. Without the viruses, pop up boxes and annoying adverts. Haven't found a HD one as yet, but most are VERY watchable.

so do you guy's still have Virgin tv / sky in the house ? (daft question perhaps )

i've got the skybox f5  , all channels but no streaming   , but you do need a sky dish

Disser Pointon

Can you get Hearts TV matches through these?

Do they work on wi-fi or do you need to connect to a LAN cable?

What's the best set up from the droidbox website, quite a few to choose from and I can;t fathom the differences?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure it's easier than it looks, definitely interested as Sky are starting to take the pi$$.

Cheers

They are the same streams you would find online. Without the viruses, pop up boxes and annoying adverts. Haven't found a HD one as yet, but most are VERY watchable.

Cheers

Are the prominent poster's prices competitive ? Could he/she PM me some details as I'm probably going to but one soon.

a prominent poster on JKB sells and maintains them ... seemingly gives a great service :-)

Send me a pm of who that person is & I will pm him/her

That looks superb. Did you go for the T8-AML-V2 Amlogic S802 model? Think I'll get one of these.

I just bought the bog standard m8 one. ?89 I think it was at the time

so do you guy's still have Virgin tv / sky in the house ? (daft question perhaps )

I still have Virgin. Kodi is a bit fiddly for 'non techies' to use. Not impossible by any means but not as straightforward as the tv remote. Also there are quality and reliability issues that you don't get with mainstream Virgin TV.

I could easily survive without Virgin TV services if I really had to for financial reasons.

Can you get Hearts TV matches through these?

Do they work on wi-fi or do you need to connect to a LAN cable?

What's the best set up from the droidbox website, quite a few to choose from and I cant fathom the differences?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure it's easier than it looks, definitely interested as Sky are starting to take the pi$$.

Cheers

You cant get Hearts TV on them, not that I have ever found, although that doesn't mean its not there. You do get all Rangers TV matches though ( if that's your bag)

Any match that is live on a free TV or pay per view TV channel anywhere in the world. You will be able to see, such as 3pm kick offs in the EPL.

Mines is connected by LAN but they work on wireless, just a bit more buffering at peak times. Using the LAN and Virgin broadband it rarely buffers and when it does you just change the program feed and that normally fixes it.

If you get the box from droidtsicks.com, it is all set up for you, which is great if your not that much of a techy.

If you have a weak broadband signal, less than 10mb, it may not work very well for you.

Just watch a couple of the You Tube videos they have out and you'll see how easy it is.

Walter Payton

May be a stupid question, but can you still record tv programmes (or easily hook this up to a recorder that will) using the droidsticks set up?

May be a stupid question, but can you still record tv programmes (or easily hook this up to a recorder that will) using the droidsticks set up?

Mines has a smart card port on it so I assume you can download to them. Ive never felt the need to record anything though so ah dinnae ken

One of their many You tube videos probably covers that question

I am a once promenient poster

Right then. So whats the sketch? The full SP etc.???

jambodougie

Mines has a smart card port on it so I assume you can download to them. Ive never felt the need to record anything though so ah dinnae ken

One of their many You tube videos probably covers that question

Think recording them would be deemed as illegal as you are downloading - no point recording as it will be available to stream so as long as you have wifi you will be able to select the programme and watch it ? 

I'm not allowed to say on here without breaching forum rules although, if you PM me I sure I could give you details as I haven't broached the subject and tried to sell you anything.

This is more legal loop holes than the boxes btw.

the general

I am a once promenient poster

about time too speedo lad

your usual problem is your usually too early :-)

invernessjt

Definitely going down this route at the end of the month.

Fed up with sky.

Cancelled my Sky Sport yesterday. Felt good telling them to ram it. I'll stick with BT for SPFL and Serie A and stream any other games that take my fancy.

Tommy Brown

I started using kodi and watched games against rangers and hibs ok, not great but OK.

Tried a couple of more prominent games on sky, but like last nights, were pretty unwatchable (jumpy or buffering). Is this common because of traffic?

For watching films and TV shows, I am really impressed.

mrmarkus1981

I've got three devices running Kodi but the Mrs 'likes' Sky and its user friendliness. However we just got the 'we're putting up your bill' letter, a whopping ?4.50 p/m.

Mess that!! 

invernessjt

I used phoenix (Stael) last night and the quality was exceptional

Phoenix is great for Serie A.

My T8 arrived yesterday :pleasing:

That said I literally only had 10 minutes to play with it so will have a proper look after work today. What's the best/quickest and easiest way to get to streaming new movies and sports!?

My T8 arrived yesterday :pleasing:

That said I literally only had 10 minutes to play with it so will have a proper look after work today. What's the best/quickest and easiest way to get to streaming new movies and sports!?

I use the phoenix add on for movie's and sport. Veedubt add-on is good for the 3pm kick off on Saturdays some game's are in HD to

Sexton Hardcastle

Do you guys watch standard channels like itv and bbc through it or just use freeview for this type of viewing?

Sexton Hardcastle

Do you guys watch standard channels like itv and bbc through it or just use freeview for this type of viewing?

Vincent B.A

I've just ordered mine today. Planning on getting rid of virgin media or at least getting rid of the XL tv package but going to see what the quality is like on Droidbox first. I was thinking of switching over to BT for my internet but don't think BT is as good as Virgin.

Just had a go of setting this up on the PC.

Pretty straight forward and not too much fuss.

Works well for me, as my PC is connected to my main TV.

Archived