Proposed new concert venue in Edinburgh

TheMaganator

Good news if it goes ahead. Edinburgh needs something half decent to hold live events so we can compete with Glasgow in attracting the top names to the capital.

My worry is that although 5000 capacity is a big number, it wont be able to attract the top acts like 1D  :look:

Getintaethem

A venue where they could have the tattoo would make sense, rather than the yearly building stands rigmarole at the castle esplanade.

• 4 years later...

I went to see Michael Bublé at the P &J conference Centre at Aberdeen last week. 

10k capacity, next to the airport, plenty hotels, on the Aberdeen bypass and 15 minute taxi ride into our hotel in the city Centre. 

Edinburgh is getting left behind. Can you imagine the carnage around the bypass when a sell out show takes place. 

I am far from pro Aberdeen but living in Dundee equidistant between the two cities I know what is easier to get to. 

An 8-10,000 seat venue in Edinburgh should only either be ingelston/airport area or down by Ocean terminal/the shore.

Building it at straiton is utter nonsense, if a gig finishes at 10.30/11pm then there is no chance you will get people from outwith edinburgh & midlothian going as you simply wouldn't get home via public transport, especially during the week.

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

An 8-10,000 seat venue in Edinburgh should only either be ingelston/airport area or down by Ocean terminal/the shore.

Building it at straiton is utter nonsense, if a gig finishes at 10.30/11pm then there is no chance you will get people from outwith edinburgh & midlothian going as you simply wouldn't get home via public transport, especially during the week.

Wouldn't bother building a big new expensive venue in a location that will likely be under water by the end of the century.

The Natural Order

And to think we're only getting round to this now after having the chance to have the Hydro.....Twice!!!

Think we need to match or better capacity of Hydro or the big sellers will stay where the money is.

Even The Hydro isn't big enough for some acts who only do London and Manchester.

Transport links for this are essential to be on train and tram routes.

7 hours ago, Ribble said:

:notsure:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Too small and in the wrong place. The big acts will still bypass the capital and head to the Hydro. 

The Natural Order
13 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

:notsure:

Why not? The Hydro (or what was then known as The Scottish National Indoor Arena) was first planned for Leith.

41 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

Why not? The Hydro (or what was then known as The Scottish National Indoor Arena) was first planned for Leith.

The roads in and around these areas can't cope with basic so called rush-hour traffic, but lets build an indoor arena with a capacity for 10k punters.

Best site to build it would be on the Braid hills golf course with funicular access only...:wink:

willie wallace

Listening to the radio this afternoon.

New music venue in news report and 35 minute delay on the bypass in the traffic report.😂

9 hours ago, Ribble said:

I can only really talk for the Ingleston side, but it’s already a joke over there. It also has major plans for housing at Turnhouse Rd and Maybury, which will only make things a lot worse.

2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The roads in and around these areas can't cope with basic so called rush-hour traffic, but lets build an indoor arena with a capacity for 10k punters.

Best site to build it would be on the Braid hills golf course with funicular access only...:wink:

More than that turn up at tynecastle and Easter Rd ona weekly basis. 

On 02/12/2019 at 21:00, Peakybunnet said:

I went to see Michael Bublé at the P &J conference Centre at Aberdeen last week. 

10k capacity, next to the airport, plenty hotels, on the Aberdeen bypass and 15 minute taxi ride into our hotel in the city Centre. 

Edinburgh is getting left behind. Can you imagine the carnage around the bypass when a sell out show takes place. 

I am far from pro Aberdeen but living in Dundee equidistant between the two cities I know what is easier to get to. 

Why?

fabienleclerq

Surely ingleston is the best place for it, links up with trams and rail connections. Only in Edinburgh would they build this where the traffic is at its worst and there's no public transport after spending gazillions on toy trains. 

It’s right on the bypass, piece of ****ing piss to get to. Typical NIMBY reactions abound. Would have preferred the film studio though, never mind.

Just improve the ****ing transport network and BOOM! It’s not bloody hard. Every other city in Britain seems to be able to build modern arenas for the arts, culture and sports. Just not this ridiculous place. 😄

Get it built, and get that film studio put up in Midlothian somewhere too.

fabienleclerq
4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It’s right on the bypass, piece of ****ing piss to get to. Typical NIMBY reactions abound. Would have preferred the film studio though, never mind.

Just improve the ****ing transport network and BOOM! It’s not bloody hard. Every other city in Britain seems to be able to build modern arenas for the arts, culture and sports. Just not this ridiculous place. 😄

Get it built, and get that film studio put up in Midlothian somewhere too.

Have you been on the bypass in the last ten years? It's a god awful road with no rail connection nearby. I'm all for a venue but it's not a good location for it. 

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Have you been on the bypass in the last ten years? It's a god awful road with no rail connection nearby. I'm all for a venue but it's not a good location for it. 

I live in Penicuik and work in Roslin. Travel in to Edinburgh frequently. Yes. Yes I’ve been on the bypass recently.

It’s like Edinburgh Council have some weird form of Tourette’s where all they can say is “Leith”, or “the shore”. Want to build something for Edinburgh communities? 

“Leith”

”The shore”

**** me, there’s other parts to Edinburgh and the Lothians FFS. 🙄

Shanks said no
25 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It’s like Edinburgh Council have some weird form of Tourette’s where all they can say is “Leith”, or “the shore”. Want to build something for Edinburgh communities? 

“Leith”

”The shore”

**** me, there’s other parts to Edinburgh and the Lothians FFS. 🙄

Leader of the Council happens to be Councillor Adam McVey and his ward is Leith.

10 hours ago, His name is said:

More than that turn up at tynecastle and Easter Rd ona weekly basis. 

They all have my sympathy. Why did you afford easter road capital letters and not Tynecastle?:levein_interesting:

Prince Buaben

Edinburgh’s whole transport network is hopeless. Every site mentioned in this thread is unsuitable because it would bring that place to a standstill.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I always thought the empty site at Haymarket would have been great for an arena with the station and trams right across the street. It would probably be ruled out by a lack of surrounding space for car parking though which is a shame. 

It should be at least a 10,000 venue

Part of the cost needs to be work on transport links in and out of the area...and no scrimping on that point

If that cannot be done then sorry not this time or place

On 03/12/2019 at 17:16, frankblack said:

Think we need to match or better capacity of Hydro or the big sellers will stay where the money is.

Even The Hydro isn't big enough for some acts who only do London and Manchester.

Transport links for this are essential to be on train and tram routes.

Absolutely this. 

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Didn't the folk who built the Hydro initially want to be in Edinburgh but our clowncil knocked them back?

Yip.

Bridge of Djoum

Don't need another new venue IMO...

Just use Tynecastle for gigs and events

:whistling: