Zee's Value

Captain Canada

Captain Canada

I'm sure I read that Zeefuik went to his club for ?500k.

How much is he realistically worth now? If he keeps up his scoring rate will we be able to afford to buy him if we want to?

My concern at the moment is he's in the shop window and a club with deeper pockets than us will be able to offer closer to the ?500k his club will want to recoup.

ChunkyCharlie

Agreed, however do you think many clubs will have him on their Radar?

It's hard to put a value you on him at this stage. However if he keeps up his scoring rate I think 400-500k max.

I'm sure it was 500k euros. Only has a year left on his contract in the summer so could maybe get him for about 100k

Oscar da house cat

Championship football isn't much of a barometer. Jim Hamilton was electric on loan to the old 1st division level but in the spl was just a good player (and one I always liked in the team for his work rate and positive influence on the team).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much tbh.

I can't imagine too many larger Dutch clubs will be interested as he would likely have gone on loan to one of them when they had the chance.

I don't think many of them will give much of a toss that he's scored consistently in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. Also, his fitness issues will be common knowledge over there.

We'll probably get him for nothing or less than 50k if we want him.

Could be an excellent signing if we can get him really fit and playing well.

I expect Budge and Levein will have agreed a fee in advance. The number will be set in stone regardless of how many he score for us.

We have two things in our favour if we want him

1. He's here now and appears to be really enjoying it and there is a Dutch influence helping hem all settle

2. His size - it will put most teams off.

scott herbertson

I expect Budge and Levein will have agreed a fee in advance. The number will be set in stone regardless of how many he score for us.

How many?

That's the question

I reckon it will be a few hundred thousand. 2/3/4, IMO.

I don't think there is a chance we will keep him. Obviously I'd be delighted if we could.

I can't see him going back to Dutch football. This is the lease of life he needed, a fresh start in new surroundings.

Scoring goals, supporter adulation and regular football. I can only see him heading down South at worst if we can't afford to take him outright.

fabienleclerq

I'd assume our management have an agreed fee, I can't see it being much over ?100k

I'm sure it was 500k euros. Only has a year left on his contract in the summer so could maybe get him for about 100k

I'm sure you're right about Groningen paying 500k euros.  They are hoping to recoup some of that, whether we could secure his services for as little as ?100k I'm not sure.  Hopefully we agreed a fee as part of the loan so we don't end up in a Dutch auction for his services.

I guess it will all boil down to a question of how much would it cost us to keep him and does that seem the best use of our resources compared to where else we could spend that money.  I would love to see him stay though if we can do a deal that makes financial sense.

Not much tbh.

I can't imagine too many larger Dutch clubs will be interested as he would likely have gone on loan to one of them when they had the chance.

I don't think many of them will give much of a toss that he's scored consistently in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. Also, his fitness issues will be common knowledge over there.

We'll probably get him for nothing or less than 50k if we want him.

Could be an excellent signing if we can get him really fit and playing well.

This is my take in it. Last year of contract. Good player but their are many good players looking for clubs in the current market.

I'd love to keep him but If it's hundreds of thousands like some are suggesting I think we will wish him well and he will go on his way.

I'm hoping we can still land him for a nominal fee

To many folk getting carried away about a guy scoring goals against Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton amongst others. Let's see what impact he has against full time defenders in the SPL. Would love to think the same but somehow can't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groningen paid ?500,000 for him and said they would look at around ?300,000 for him that's about ?220,000 all these figures were quoted in the press by Groningen and his agent when we signed him.

I would hope and expect we have an agreed first option on him as this is what we have done with any loans we have had in the past. It makes sense, unless you know from the outset you could never afford the player which I don't think would be the case with Zeefuik.

Of course any possible pre agreed fee could be less than quoted or could include addons which would make the initial price we pay lower.

As much as I like Zeefuik.. I wouldn't spent money getting him here. If we can get him on a years loan to run his contact down then great but as a growing business spending should be left to a minimum. Levein and Neilson have proved already and there are cracking players on free transfers out there.

Levein and Neilson have also rightly proved that football and free transfers go beyond the muck out of contract in Scotland. 'Lets get Lionel Ainsworth', let's not. Let's go abroad and get better players, with better attitudes and better technically.

hmfc_liam06

To many folk getting carried away about a guy scoring goals against Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton amongst others. Let's see what impact he has against full time defenders in the SPL. Would love to think the same but somehow can't see it.

So we should sign him then?

Rudolf's Mate

If he cost them x amount IMO there's no way they'll be asking or expecting to recover all their money.

The reason he's here is because it hasn't worked out for him there. As others have said, a fee will have been agree on certain conditions. One of those won't be it increasing because he's hit a purple patch.

Nothing's changed and it's another case of we'd love to have him but the price has to be right.

Captain Canada

I don't think we should sign him for ?220k. Especially when we're stepping up a level next season.

If we could get him for ?50k then he's worth buying. The other thing is we already have Sow, Keatings, El Hass, Oliver and Carrick who can all play up front.

Should we be shelling out money on a 6th striker?

Ibrahim Tall

Worryingly his recent goal scoring, particularly the hat trick v Cowdenbeath are pretty newsworthy. Even if you just google his name in news you'll see there's dozens of Dutch press links on his recent form.

We should remember he was actually a hot prospect in Holland and youth international at one point until the goals dried up and his weight issues, if he's suddenly hit form and scoring again there could be a few there willing to take what's a relatively cheap punt on him. Wouldn't suprise me if Celtic became interested either if he scores another half dozen this season.

So we should sign him then?

The smart move would be to extend his loan deal on my opinion if we could.

I wouldn't pay money for him. Sow is a much better player imo, so unless we're getting him for wage only I'd look elsewhere

I don't think we should sign him for ?220k. Especially when we're stepping up a level next season.

If we could get him for ?50k then he's worth buying. The other thing is we already have Sow, Keatings, El Hass, Oliver and Carrick who can all play up front.

Should we be shelling out money on a 6th striker?

I wouldn't pay money for him. Sow is a much better player imo, so unless we're getting him for wage only I'd look elsewhere

Personally I'd put Zeefuik in at our third best out of those mentioned above, ability wise. So yes, I'd spend money on a 6th Striker if he's better than what we currrently have.

And I agree Sow is a much better player, and I'd say potentially one of the best Strikers we've had in years but his propensity to be injured worries me slightly. He'll have a hard time of it banging goals in from the physiotherapist's table.

Ibrahim Tall

Sow is but the rest aren't, if we're planning on atleast challenging for Europe/Cups we need more than one injury prone top striker. 250,000 or less and he's worth seriously thinking about in my opinion.

Rudolf's Mate

Worryingly his recent goal scoring, particularly the hat trick v Cowdenbeath are pretty newsworthy. Even if you just google his name in news you'll see there's dozens of Dutch press links on his recent form.

We should remember he was actually a hot prospect in Holland and youth international at one point until the goals dried up and his weight issues, if he's suddenly hit form and scoring again there could be a few there willing to take what's a relatively cheap punt on him. Wouldn't suprise me if Celtic became interested either if he scores another half dozen this season.

I wouldn't say it was worrying. I'd fully expect we'll have first option on him and if it's decided not to pursue then you'd have to assume management know what they're doing.

If Cummings plays the remaining games there's every chance he'll get another half dozen. Will Celtic look at him? As much as it pains me, Celtic play quick football and rely on fast forwards. I don't think he would fit into their team!

Ibrahim Tall

I wouldn't say it was worrying. I'd fully expect we'll have first option on him and if it's decided not to pursue then you'd have to assume management know what they're doing.

If Cummings plays the remaining games there's every chance he'll get another half dozen. Will Celtic look at him? As much as it pains me, Celtic play quick football and rely on fast forwards. I don't think he would fit into their team!

I get what you're saying but Zeefuik is currently averaging better than a goal per game, Cummings isn't anywhere near that. Hibs would likely also ask for a hell of a lot more than 300 grand or whatever Groningen asking for. It would hardly be unlike them to buy a player that never plays just to spite the rest of us either.

Rudolf's Mate

I get what you're saying but Zeefuik is currently averaging better than a goal per game, Cummings isn't anywhere near that. Hibs would likely also ask for a hell of a lot more than 300 grand or whatever Groningen asking for. It would hardly be unlike them to buy a player that never plays just to spite the rest of us either.

I used Cummings as an example merely to highlight that it was fantasy.

Had he been doing this in the SPL then I'd be agreeing with you. Unfortunately it's not and he's totally unproven.

For arguments sake let's say Celtic show an interest and put in an offer. Pretty irrelevant if we're not interested. If we are then it's also irrelevant that they want to make an offer.

Ibrahim Tall

I used Cummings as an example merely to highlight that it was fantasy.

Had he been doing this in the SPL then I'd be agreeing with you. Unfortunately it's not and he's totally unproven.

For arguments sake let's say Celtic show an interest and put in an offer. Pretty irrelevant if we're not interested. If we are then it's also irrelevant that they want to make an offer.

It depends really if we have a few agreed and we've actually learned from previous mistakes with Ricardo Fuller and Lee Miller where we didn't. If we haven't then it could be difference from getting him for an affordable fee or being pushed out as they think they can get more from someone else as he's in form.

I like the guy but 50k tops for me.

We are not yet in a position where we should be paying more than nominal fees for players.

Rudolf's Mate

It depends really if we have a few agreed and we've actually learned from previous mistakes with Ricardo Fuller and Lee Miller where we didn't. If we haven't then it could be difference from getting him for an affordable fee or being pushed out as they think they can get more from someone else as he's in form.

If he's come with the option to buy they'll have an agreement in principal. You have to assume that is the case as there was a figure already mentioned a while back regardless of it being the right amount or not. 

If he's come simply as backup to what we've got with the simple view that he'll go once the seasons over. Then it he turns out to be a prospect then we only have ourselves to blame. Again you have to think this isn't the case as numbers have been banded about already. Also clubs tend not to do business like that nowadays. 

Time will tell however despite his form of late I still think he's a gamble for what is a big step up next season. If we can get him for 100k or under then it's a gamble worth taking. 

Groningen paid ?500,000 for him and said they would look at around ?300,000 for him that's about ?220,000 all these figures were quoted in the press by Groningen and his agent when we signed him.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now, my recollection is that no press article stated or suggested how much it would take. I'd be very surprised if a club came out and said that. You got a link?

On the suggestion he would cost ?220k, if that's true and we somehow had the money, I'd rather use it to get a couple of players for nominal fees in the same way we got Anderson.

Unknown user

It's worth noting that he's now scored more for us than he did in 40 games for Groningen last season so I'm sure he's getting personal satisfaction from the move.

Groningen have only scored 30 in 25 league games this season but I don't think they take him seriously. I doubt they'll want to keep him but they'll probably want to haggle upwards

Unknown user

On the suggestion he would cost ?220k, if that's true and we somehow had the money, I'd rather use it to get a couple of players for nominal fees in the same way we got Anderson.

I agree, United have shown the way forward with that one, a small fee can nip you in ahead of those waiting for a contract to expire.

**** me though, the enormity of that just hit me- we paid a transfer fee!!

This last year has been mental

With Zeefuik, it feels like it could be a bit of a Fuller situation if we dont sign him.

The boy has pedigree. One of Hollands top prospects 2 or 3 years ago. This sort of pedigree means that if he shows any kind of sustained form and fitness big clubs will be interested in him. Clubs follow prospects like him for years.

So, in my opinion, a ?200k outlay could easily turn into a ?1m+ sell on investment within a year if he kicks on in the SPL next season, let alone how high up the table his goals would help get us.

Rest assured Zeefuik will be able to cut it in the SPL.

The link you ask for I can't find I do know it was definitely reported by the Groningen coach who bought him and his agent. The article was published as we just brought him in and google translated into here as it was in Dutch. Check back the old threads from January when he joined. The EN later picked up on the story in their usual copy and paste job.

As for spending ?200,000 on a striker that's is scoring goals do you see many ?200K goal scorers about these days? Remember the guy is still young. ?200K could be seen as an investment IF RN and CL see potential which I think they do. I'm only branding that figure around as that's what was reported at the time, for all we know we could already have a cheaper deal agreed or as I said we could add addons to reduce an initial up front fee.

P.S. I'll add in that article I got the figures from it was mentioning the financial problems for Groningen and they would settle for getting at least some of the ?500k back as they are in financial trouble.

Buffalo Bill

I have no doubt that Zeefuik is a quality player. The problem might not be the transfer fee. I think it could be his wage demands; otherwise I'm sure he would like to stay here.

BRAVEHEART1874

Let's not refer to him as Zee please.

Why not?

Maybe it's got to be big zee ;)

the big show

The link you ask for I can't find I do know it was definitely reported by the Groningen coach who bought him and his agent. The article was published as we just brought him in and google translated into here as it was in Dutch. Check back the old threads from January when he joined. The EN later picked up on the story in their usual copy and paste job.

As for spending ?200,000 on a striker that's is scoring goals do you see many ?200K goal scorers about these days? Remember the guy is still young. ?200K could be seen as an investment IF RN and CL see potential which I think they do. I'm only branding that figure around as that's what was reported at the time, for all we know we could already have a cheaper deal agreed or as I said we could add addons to reduce an initial up front fee.

P.S. I'll add in that article I got the figures from it was mentioning the financial problems for Groningen and they would settle for getting at least some of the ?500k back as they are in financial trouble.

Good post , I also can't see how if hearts were paying 200k for a guy thats young banging in goals could be possibly be a gamble , its not like players are 10 a penny scoring goals like he has you can get for a very nominal fee that is young and has a very decent pedigree under his belt ., i honestly believe they could make money on him when the time is right to sell and the offer is right .

Good post , I also can't see how if hearts were paying 200k for a guy thats young banging in goals could be possibly be a gamble , its not like players are 10 a penny scoring goals like he has you can get for a very nominal fee that is young and has a very decent pedigree under his belt ., i honestly believe they could make money on him when the time is right to sell and the offer is right .

Sounds like speculate to accumulate which is what got us into trouble.

Unknown user

Sounds like speculate to accumulate which is what got us into trouble.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at it.

If it's a move that's going to potentially earn us more money, get us a good player and is available within budget there's no reason not to if they trust their judgement that much.

It's only when we can't afford it that it's a problem

Archived