Tennents Sixes 1985

Sydney

A couple of great videos here of Hearts winning the Tennents Sixes in 1985 (30 years ago!!! THIRTY!!!). 

Great atmosphere and it felt like the only trophy I'd ever see us winning.

First Half

Second Half

Edited by Sydney

Unknown user

Great atmosphere, it's like ice hockey/football.

It's such a shame we won't see anything like this back again because of injury risk but I have very happy memories of this tournament.

Craig Levein's mullet and tight white shorts by the way!

Nookie Bear

Fans going wild at the final whistle.

Mullets and tight shorts.

Winning a trophy in the silver strip

Scenes, frankly.

Edited by Nookie Bear

KingsknoweKid

I remember going to a similar "low budget" version of this at Meadowbank in the 80's. I think it was mainly reserve players. Does anyone else remember this or did I just imagine it?

I remember going to a similar "low budget" version of this at Meadowbank in the 80's. I think it was mainly reserve players. Does anyone else remember this or did I just imagine it?

I think that was the first go at this and then they made it a bit bigger with the Ingliston event then the Glasgow one with the SECC having opened

Ron Burgundy

Think it was maybe late 70's. I remember my dad taking me and sitting about bored out my skull waiting for the Hearts games. Think Hibs and Spartans were involved and for some reson I seem to remember a load of amateur sides but not many pro clubs being involved. 

I want another silver strip

Did not like it, although i had one. We all remember what happened on the final day of that season and the SC final that year.

KingsknoweKid

I went to that. Mid 80s as I had not long moved to porty, maybe 84. We won it but definitely mainly reserve players.

It was definitely around that time as I was a spotty young thing back then with hair, I'm now a spotty old thing without hair!!   :2thumbsup:

Unknown user

Did not like it, although i had one. We all remember what happened on the final day of that season and the SC final that year.

I was in hospital for the cup final, getting an operation on a bollock.

Worst week of my life that, but still I want a silver strip again

I was in hospital for the cup final, getting an operation on a bollock.

Worst week of my life that, but still I want a silver strip again

LOL

A couple of great videos here of Hearts winning the Tennents Sixes in 1985 (30 years ago!!! THIRTY!!!).

First Half

Second Half

A stirring rendition of "Hail Hail the Hearts are here" at the start of the second half...how times have changed eh!

Great post.

Can't go too far wrong with Smith, Levein, Mackay and Robertson in your side.

They should get them all out on the pitch when we win the league this year in honour of the 30 year anniversary! :tiny:

avhudtheteeshirt

I remember watching the Sixes on a 1 1/2" TV on night shift in Ferranti. I kept the foreman up to date with the scores, but it was not till the morning when I was putting everything away he decided to ask how I knew the scores but no one else could find it on the radio. He was none to chuffed to find out how I knew, but I think it was mainly we had won and he was a Hibbee!!!

I think that was the first go at this and then they made it a bit bigger with the Ingliston event then the Glasgow one with the SECC having opened

It started in 1984 at Coasters arena Falkirk, Ingleston 1985 then over to Glasgow after that, Hearts won it twice with being beaten finalists against Aberdeen also.

Son Of Anarchy

First ever strip I had was the silver away one.

Loved it

Me too :)

Coming from the west I celebrated that win like it was the European cup. Strutting around school all week. Ah the memories.

• 3 years later...

34 years ago last night, Hearts won the Tennents Sixes.

The last night I spoke to my dad, as he died the following morning.

That aside, what a great wee tournament it was. Check out some of our players hairstyles!  :lol: 

52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

34 years ago last night, Hearts won the Tennents Sixes.

The last night I spoke to my dad, as he died the following morning.

That aside, what a great wee tournament it was. Check out some of our players hairstyles!  :lol: 

Sorry to hear that ma pal, no wonder you remember that date, i was there , then went up town to celebrate.

great night but ruff the next day.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Sorry to hear that ma pal, no wonder you remember that date, i was there , then went up town to celebrate.

great night but ruff the next day.

I was there too, Harry. 

Went to work the following morning, and received a phone call saying that my dad had died at the wheel of his car.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I was there too, Harry. 

Went to work the following morning, and received a phone call saying that my dad had died at the wheel of his car.

Thats tragic mate, take care buddie.

How TF did we ever put up with watching stuff on VHS? Absolutely brutal quality. You'd be as well smearing a thick layer of vaseline all over your eyeballs before viewing.

35 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats tragic mate, take care buddie.

Cheers, Harold. ?

28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How TF did we ever put up with watching stuff on VHS? Absolutely brutal quality. You'd be as well smearing a thick layer of vaseline all over your eyeballs before viewing.

I know, it’s absolutely Hellish isn’t it?

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Was the best at the time Ray, machines kept breaking down as well, the heads lasted 5 minutes .

phface.jpg

Think the original Rangers FC got fined for fielding a weakened team in one of them. Also remember Nottingham Forest playing once. It needs to be brought back. 

1 minute ago, Smack said:

Think the original Rangers FC got fined for fielding a weakened team in one of them. Also remember Nottingham Forest playing once. It needs to be brought back. 

Remember going to meadowbank for the 5s , think mid 70s,  were a few east of scotland league teams there and out singing 

the hobos in the crowd, nothing new there.

Then to make our day got the 26 bus home and willie gibson gets on our bus .

35 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Was the best at the time Ray, machines kept breaking down as well, the heads lasted 5 minutes .

phface.jpg

:oohmatron:

On 02/03/2015 at 09:44, KingsknoweKid said:

was that not the tournament that the op is asking about?

Does anyone remember going to a five a side competition at the ice rink (they put a wooden floor over the ice)? Probably late 60s early 70s.

We got absolutely hammered by Hibs into the bargain.

Memory may be off but did Hearts not win the Ingilston one.

Can remember going to the darts at Ingleston Wilson v Bristow in an England v Scotland match.Amazing scenes.

1 hour ago, benny said:

Memory may be off but did Hearts not win the Ingilston one.

Can remember going to the darts at Ingleston Wilson v Bristow in an England v Scotland match.Amazing scenes.

Yeah I think ingilston was when we won in 85 then moved west for the rest of its existence thereafter. 

Edited by jambogemz

Jack Torrance
6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Clearly you never experienced the vastly superior quality of the Phillips Video 2000...

C31AADFE-3AAE-4BD8-A803-1B3A81D7FCA1.jpeg

On 02/03/2015 at 04:32, paleredfox said:

First ever strip I had was the silver away one.

Loved it

Gutted when the tumble dryer ate mine?

queensferryjambo

Loved the Tennents Sixes.

Some players who were good in 11 a side looked brilliant in the Sixes.

Tosh McKinlay was a stand out the years he played IMO

On 02/03/2015 at 09:44, KingsknoweKid said:

Spot on mate... Here is the Hearts Six man squad for the Meadowbank 5 aside comp' in 1982

IMG_20190122_231800.jpg

It should have been ten
On 02/03/2015 at 01:54, Sydney said:

First Half

Second Half

Absolutely loved the Tennents sixes. 30 years ago wow, I feel auld ?