?5.1 billion for Premier League TV rights

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

SKY to show 126 Premier League games per season 2016-2019

Fri and Mon nights

Sat and Sun afternoons

They got the best time slots, which is what they wanted (especially the Sunday, 4pm slot). It is a lot of money, but they will still gain, and they won't be remotely bothered about the blocks they did not get

And we in Scotland get the lose change for our game. Our esteemed leaders need punted asap they and they alone have hamstrung our football development with their fixation on all things "Old Firm"

And we in Scotland get the lose change for our game. Our esteemed leaders need punted asap they and they alone have hamstrung our football development with their fixation on all things "Old Firm"

Scottish fans slag off Scottish football and go on about not watching it. Worse still, our own CE, publicly said how shit it was (and still got a pay rise). No wonder the broadcasters are not interested. If I ran a TV company, I wouldn't be, either.

Sky awarded five packages - they get Friday evenings, Saturday afternoons (12.45 KOs), Sunday afternoons, Monday evenings and bank holidays.

Super Sunday
Or Super Mega Triple Double Extra Bacon Awesome Sunday, as Sky once considered branding it for Aston Villa thrillers. The big news is that Sky have kept the two Sunday afternoon games, including Super Sunday.

Bear in mind throughout all this that the TV companies, of course, get to choose which matches they show, but obviously everyone wants Man United v Liverpool, Arsenal v Chelsea and QPR versus the creeping sense of hopelessness. Thus, all of the agreed packages have included SOME but not ALL first picks.

Sky Sports will have the game at 4pm or so ? this package has a lip-smacking 18 first-choice matches, so expect the biggest games to continue in this slot.

They will also show the earlier game at lunchtime. Nothing doing for BT on Sundays.

Friday
Sky have paid 5.136 billion for all their packages and will now show live top-flight football on Friday nights. There will be at least 18 games on a Friday night. This package was bundled with Monday nights?

Monday Night Football
...which will still be shown on Sky Sports 1. The programme that introduced the Hairy Handed Richard Keys to the nation and is now so expertly pundited by Gary Neville and Jamie Redknapp stays on Sky Sports 1.

Saturday
Whether we like it or not, the idea of football on Saturday?s is still mired in the 1980s, because people in the olden days believed that football on a Saturday afternoon would stop people going to the game. So they went to a pub with moody Norwegian satellite TV. Catch up, granddad!

Sky Sports and BT Sports have done a Saturday Switcheroo. Sky Sports show the game that kicks off the weekend by kicking off at 12.30.

And then once everyone has come back from the ground/from the shops/from the hypnotic trance of watching Souey too early in the morning, then it?s over to BT Sport for the 5.30pm kick off.

The much less good days of the week, aka weekdays
There was a small package (stop it) of six weekday matches and then eight Saturday matches, but there were only two ?first picks? up for scrumps in this section.

Bank Holidays
Last and sorta kinda least, the package for eight Bank Holiday matches and six Saturday matches has gone to BT.

So what does it all mean? Well, it means that Sky have won packages A, C, D, E and G below and they paid an astonishing 5.136 billion to do so. Talk of a new player in town by, and about, BT may have been exaggerated...

image1_3194496a.jpg

Maroon Sailor

Burnley are economically bigger than Ajax !

I can see some fans not bothering renewing season tickets. 168 live games in total if you include the BT packages

If we were to get the loose change from this Sky deal it would be by far and away the biggest deal in Scottish Footballs history.

What we actually have is nothing like 1% of that deal which would be ?51,000,000 for 3 years (I think).

Absolutely ghastly and obscene. Because of the trickle down, even Division 2 clubs will be outbidding SPL clubs for players. It was bad enough when it was Championship clubs :-(

The only cash I'll give that toad Murdoch will be a weeks subscription to Now TV to watch the Open.

Absolutely ghastly and obscene. Because of the trickle down, even Division 2 clubs will be outbidding SPL clubs for players. It was bad enough when it was Championship clubs :-(

The only cash I'll give that toad Murdoch will be a weeks subscription to Now TV to watch the Open.

I don't doubt that you will follow this through, but SKY can only do this, because a massive majority who say this, most probably won't.

Ignoring the value itself, now that SKY don't have the 5:30pm games, will their previously early Scottish games replace that slot?

I have never subscribed to Sky, Claudia and I never will. They are sucking the life out of the game up here.

My ST cash and monthly FOH donations will make me happier than making Murdoch even richer

Maroon Sailor

I don't doubt that you will follow this through, but SKY can only do this, because a massive majority who say this, most probably won't.

Double edged sword.

If fans keep packing out the stadiums then they'll continue to do what they are doing.

I have never subscribed to Sky, Claudia and I never will. They are sucking the life out of the game up here.

My ST cash and monthly FOH donations will make me happier than making Murdoch even richer

That is good, but you are in a minority. Most people will not cancel.

Another argument is, as much as they are sucking the life out of the game, they also initially put life into it. More than most other channels, and the same could be said of other sports.

I do not have SKY either. I have my season ticket, and subsribe to FoH. If there is a game I am not at, which I want to watch, I will go to my local to watch it. They show the game anyway, so I would rather give my local the money.

Malinga the Swinga

Ignoring the value itself, now that SKY don't have the 5:30pm games, will their previously early Scottish games replace that slot?

Doubt it. I would expect Championship from England to dominate that time as they will show in direct opposition to BT as they already do now in the 12.45 Saturday lunchtime slot. Should also say that I pay the FOH but don't have season as I can't do Saturday afternoons, or Sunday's until 4pm.

Robbie Neilson

Not looking forward to being bombarded with adverts about more "Massive" mid table English Premier League games. Not one bit of interest in watching 13th v 14th be it on a Friday night, Saturday early/late afternoon or on Sundays or Monday nights

I do have SkySports, and i do watch a lot of it, its coverage of NFL, cricket and Spanish football is fantastic, but i think they may have over egged it here on the English football

But i suppose the broadcasters wouldn't have entered into these deals if they were not confident in it working/being sell able

Might be wrong, but didn't Friday night football begin up here in the SPL?

Thought Bt were going to muscle in on Skys monopoly? Used all their money getting the Champions League I suppose.

I think that was a contributor, as was the pending purchase of EE. They would have been better saving their money for the EPL, in my opinion.

?5.10 for the spl for the next 20 years...... never mind about all the money in the epl... Scottish football is ****ed!

If you have an android download Mobdro and get Sky Sports and BT for....eh....nowt, shhhh its not legal but at least you wont be contributing to the rich boys playground.

ps my friend out here has also installed an android app on his windows 8.1 so he can get Mobdro on that as well.

Bottom club will get ?99m from 2016 apparently. Jesus Christ footballs ****ed.

I know what you're saying but ?99mill to the bottom club suggests it is very much not ****ed !

If we had someone with gumption running our game they would be doing a pro-rata calculation of audience heads v amount paid and demanding a better deal. After all for Sky it's not the quality of the product they care about directly - it's the number of subscriptions from joe public and the expensive ones to clubs & pubs.

Everyone in Scotland deserves better from what is a British broadcaster.

Big Slim Stylee

Problem is mate, nobody else wants to watch it:(

Disgusting. ?10M per game.

Yet people in Scotland will continue to prop up the ongoing neglect of the Scottish product by helping to finance the sickening, artifically bloated spectacle down south.

Big Slim Stylee

Yet people in Scotland will continue to prop up the ongoing neglect of the Scottish product by helping to finance the sickening, artifically bloated spectacle down south.

They don't have to.  Just don't subscribe if you feel that strongly, surely?  

Cancelled my sky partly because of the price, ?70 was just nuts! plus I'm paying into FOH since it started and I agree if the 25% of sky customers that are in Scotland cancelled all at once they'd soon notice and act on it, doing it is another matter.

I took this principled stance for years but eventually capitulated when I moved to Paris in 1999 and got a satellite dish installed on my balcony and brought a Sky card from Scotland to watch UK TV as French TV was merde. Now I use Sky Go.

The money on offer is obscene but it is a matter of supply and demand. Sky and BT driving up the price.

They don't have to. Just don't subscribe if you feel that strongly, surely?

That's the point. People will.

They may well be interested in English football, support a team and enjoy watching the better quality product. But English football and it's coverage has long since absorbed and assimilated Scottish viewers into it. Scottish money contributing to the English football / SKY monstrosity just enrages me.

Sky out of the two vastly over bid for their slots..up to 80% more whereas BT bids were approx 18% more...Sky have shown how desperate they were to keep their foothold especially with BT already having the rights to the Champions League from next season.

They can go on and on about drama, comedy etc but Sport is the driving force for Sky and without EPL football their subscriptions would tumble.

Sky paid ?4.2bn for five of the seven TV packages while rival BT paid ?960m for the other two in the record TV rights auction. The deal will run for three years from 2016.

Sky paid 83% more than it did in the last round three years ago.

BT paid 18% more and has increased the number of live matches it will show from 38 to 42 a year.

Sky out of the two vastly over bid for their slots..up to 80% more whereas BT bids were approx 18% more...Sky have shown how desperate they were to keep their foothold especially with BT already having the rights to the Champions League from next season.

They can go on and on about drama, comedy etc but Sport is the driving force for Sky and without EPL football their subscriptions would tumble.

Sky paid ?4.2bn for five of the seven TV packages while rival BT paid ?960m for the other two in the record TV rights auction. The deal will run for three years from 2016.

Sky paid 83% more than it did in the last round three years ago.

BT paid 18% more and has increased the number of live matches it will show from 38 to 42 a year.

As per my post in the other EPL rights thread - SKY have been forced to protect their position and for the 2nd time in a row had to pay a significant amount of money. BT will be delighted at retaining their deal whilst sabre rattling Sky financially.

Sky are also about to enter the mobile phone market.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the deal with O2/Telefonica.

If the offer deals cheaper than GiffGaff (who also use O2) then we'll know they are using TV subscriptions to subsidise mobiles much in the same way they did (and still do) with broadband.

It's the folk that moan about the megabucks English football get from Sky compared to Scottish football yet continue to subscribe that I really don't understand.

It's the folk that moan about the megabucks English football get from Sky compared to Scottish football yet continue to subscribe that I really don't understand.

Add to that, the folk who say Scottish football is of no interest to them, and they don't watch it, except for their own team, but who then expect broadcasters to show an interest.

The Real Maroonblood

I've never subscribed to Sky and never will.

I do more or or less what Claudia does and pick a game of interest and watch it at the local.

Should have charged Sky ?500m to use our ground (it is Tynecastle, isn't it?)

Bit cheeky of them, actually.

Mmm you could be right there lol.

Grumpy.

What happened to the so called "big hitters" Apple and Discovery entering the party? Did sky just spunk billions more than they need to for no reason?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Archived