?1.1 Trillion.

FWJ

"Quantitative Easing" from the European Central Bank.

It's many decades since I did economics - but isn't this just printing money? Doesn't that debase a currency? I thought the Germans (and let's not be coy, they pull the levers) had a horror of that after 1923?

It's many decades since I did economics - but isn't this just printing money? Doesn't that debase a currency? I thought the Germans (and let's not be coy, they pull the levers) had a horror of that after 1923?

Pretty much, yes.

Yes, but there the similarity ends.

The Eurozone is a stagnating economy heading towards deflation, not inflation.

Syriza in Greece and Renzi in Italy are worrying Angela. Calling for a loosening of austerity to allow them to avoid a lost decade to German enforced prudence to protect the German economy is gaining them support in southern EU states. In turn to undercut the threat to the euro and the unity of the EU Germany has made the call to the ECB to print money to let states have more scope to avoid harsher and harsher cuts.

A gamble to avoid Greek default and the collapse of the EU.

Syriza in Greece and Renzi in Italy are worrying Angela. Calling for a loosening of austerity to allow them to avoid a lost decade to German enforced prudence to protect the German economy is gaining them support in southern EU states. In turn to undercut the threat to the euro and the unity of the EU Germany has made the call to the ECB to print money to let states have more scope to avoid harsher and harsher cuts.

Not being Devil's Advocate here, but would a Greek withdrawal lead to the collapse of the EU?

Cards on the table - I'm a Federalist, I suppose. I would welcome a 'United States of Europe'. I reckon we've been through the wringer and now have a lot to offer. I'd hate for us to go back to being a pile of bickering and occasionally catastrophically warring nations.

Archived