Levein off the manager list ?

Drylaw Hearts

Drylaw Hearts

According to a couple of todays papers, he has been offered a Board Room position at Dundee Utd.

He will become their Director of Football aswell as continuing his role as Manager.

ET must be worried that we may be about to approach him for permission to speak to CL.

Can't see that making any difference to Levein.

If he thinks that there is an advantage for him in moving to another team he will do so whatever his title is at United.

Not really a criticism of him, just pointing out his ruthlessness and self-centred nature.

If he thinks that there is an advantage for him in moving to another team he will do so whatever his title is at United.

Not really a criticism of him, just pointing out his ruthlessness and self-centred nature.

Agreed.

Mind you if Thompson were to throw a couple of dancing girls into the deal... :527:

According to a couple of todays papers, he has been offered a Board Room position at Dundee Utd.

He will become their Director of Football aswell as continuing his role as Manager.

ET must be worried that we may be about to approach him for permission to speak to CL.

ET has got other things to worry about - he is not a well man at all.

Think this is him making sure all Dundee Utds affairs are in order.

ToadKiller Dog

Think its a case of thompson getting the club in order as he knows there good be some difficulties for united in the future if not sorted now.

Thought Levein was against 'director of football' positions?

Not if he's the one in charge, he's not! :)

Perhaps. But I was thinking about this yesterday: actually, there's no obvious move he can make. He's done the Championship: didn't work out, and no matter how he does at Tannadice, the best he can hope for will be a similar job to the Leicester one: meaning fans who don't regard him as a big name, note his failure with the Foxes and therefore don't give him enough time, a board which expects the world yet is impossibly impatient, etc. He's not experienced enough for the Scotland job, so's been overlooked for that; Levein at one of the OF just doesn't ring true; and why move to Hearts, when United are capable of achieving very similar things, and there's a lot less expectation and pressure to deal with there?

After so much chopping and changing there, I think Eddie Thompson realises he's finally got the right man, and wants to do all he can to secure CL for the long term. To be honest, I can see Levein staying there for many years to come: at the very least, until it's clear that there's nothing more that can be achieved there. And that moment is at least a couple of European campaigns and one or two Cup wins away: a good five years away, in other words.

ET has got other things to worry about - he is not a well man at all.

Think this is him making sure all Dundee Utds affairs are in order.

i've heard this before too.

dunno if appointing him DoF is the right thing. if thing's go wrong - will he remove himself from the manager's position ?

boabyarsebiscuit
Perhaps. But I was thinking about this yesterday: actually, there's no obvious move he can make. He's done the Championship: didn't work out, and no matter how he does at Tannadice, the best he can hope for will be a similar job to the Leicester one: meaning fans who don't regard him as a big name, note his failure with the Foxes and therefore don't give him enough time, a board which expects the world yet is impossibly impatient, etc. He's not experienced enough for the Scotland job, so's been overlooked for that; Levein at one of the OF just doesn't ring true; and why move to Hearts, when United are capable of achieving very similar things, and there's a lot less expectation and pressure to deal with there?

After so much chopping and changing there, I think Eddie Thompson realises he's finally got the right man, and wants to do all he can to secure CL for the long term. To be honest, I can see Levein staying there for many years to come: at the very least, until it's clear that there's nothing more that can be achieved there. And that moment is at least a couple of European campaigns and one or two Cup wins away: a good five years away, in other words.

I have a feeling that in 5 years time Levein will be Celtic manager.

I have a feeling that in 5 years time Levein will be Celtic manager.

Not Mowbray?

boabyarsebiscuit
Not Mowbray?

Mowbray's "dream job" will be up for grabs no later than the summer, and assuming they aren't relegated I fully expect him to be Middlesborough manager for the start of next season.

ToadKiller Dog
i've heard this before too.

dunno if appointing him DoF is the right thing. if thing's go wrong - will he remove himself from the manager's position ?

Think it maybe terminal this time for ET ,thats what my arab mates here up in dundee think ,also eddies family may not be interested in taking over the reigns at tannadice in the future ,Sorry to be so morose,as its not easy to discus but thats what i have heard.

And the CL might not want to stay after that,So imo Thompson is trying to do what he feels is best for his club.

Mowbray's "dream job" will be up for grabs no later than the summer, and assuming they aren't relegated I fully expect him to be Middlesborough manager for the start of next season.

Not sure about that. I can see him sticking around at West Brom for another year or so if they go up. Remember, it takes an awful lot for Steve Gibson to sack any manager, and Boro are hanging in there, and keep picking up a result whenever Southgate seems to be in danger - remember too that Paul Ince is ex-Boro as well, and he could nip in ahead of Mowbray when the job finally becomes available.

But say you're right: say Mowbray is Middlesbrough manager come next season. The same question applies: in five years' time, why not Celtic for him?

boabyarsebiscuit
Not sure about that. I can see him sticking around at West Brom for another year or so if they go up. Remember, it takes an awful lot for Steve Gibson to sack any manager, and Boro are hanging in there, and keep picking up a result whenever Southgate seems to be in danger - remember too that Paul Ince is ex-Boro as well, and he could nip in ahead of Mowbray when the job finally becomes available.

But say you're right: say Mowbray is Middlesbrough manager come next season. The same question applies: in five years' time, why not Celtic for him?

Because his boyhood heroes were 'Boro and he is 'Boro to the core?

Because his boyhood heroes were 'Boro and he is 'Boro to the core?

Yes - but especially with the arrival of so many new owners at bigger clubs than Boro, how far can anyone take them? Top seven or so I'd say, possibly a Cup Final. But you ain't going to win the league or play in the CL there: you are at Celtic, which is why I'd expect him to move on from Boro after a while, boyhood heroes or no.

I noticed a couple of weekend press reports stating that Dundee United are going to invite Craig Levein to become a director. I wonder if this is a way of scaring us off, or hopefully we have already been in touch .

I noticed a couple of weekend press reports stating that Dundee United are going to invite Craig Levein to become a director. I wonder if this is a way of scaring us off, or hopefully we have already been in touch .

It would be magnificent news if we have, CL is exactly the right man to get Hearts back on track. However I have my doubts he'd be willing to work with VR.

Heard today that he (Levein) getting appointed to the United Board due to Eddie Thompson resturcturing things at United due to ill health.

Thread #3.

DH,

You must be some salesman judging by the number of posts on here - do you drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on your PC? :)

Sobered up yet? ;)

alwaysthereinspirit
It would be magnificent news if we have, CL is exactly the right man to get Hearts back on track. However I have my doubts he'd be willing to work with VR.

He dumped us :527: before because he didn't like what he heard from Vlad. That was before 3 years of the circus that is Heart of Midlothian. Dont see him coming back now to work for Vlad.

Drylaw Hearts
DH,

You must be some salesman judging by the number of posts on here - do you drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on your PC? :)

Sobered up yet? ;)

I didn't say I was a good salesman.

I eventually got in around 2am. :wacko:

Yesterday was a bad day.

ToadKiller Dog

I think it shows that he has scaled down his ambitions big time,look at the turnover at tannadice yes they are pretty safe financialy but in reality there is little scope or space there for any real advancement,investment.

I didn't say I was a good salesman.

I eventually got in around 2am. :wacko:

Yesterday was a bad day.

2am!!!!

You were Jose Quitongo'd when I last saw you about 9ish.....

There was never any chance he would return under the Romanovs. He told plenty of Hearts fans as much at the Hall of Fame dinner.

He was supposed to be one of the names under consideration along with McGhee, Davies and JJ.

IMO, it's between Davies, JJ and one of the longer shots.

The Mighty Thor
There was never any chance he would return under the Romanovs. He told plenty of Hearts fans as much at the Hall of Fame dinner.

He was supposed to be one of the names under consideration along with McGhee, Davies and JJ.

IMO, it's between Davies, JJ and one of the longer shots.

Mate is that based on anything other than your own personal wish list?

Drylaw Hearts
2am!!!!

You were Jose Quitongo'd when I last saw you about 9ish.....

It was a long, long day.

My head is still a bit tender.

As is my poor liver.

Nucky Thompson
He dumped us
Exactly, so he can go and lie in his own p*sh as far as I'm concerned. Dundee Utd and their p*ss poor support are welcome to him:mad:

Mate is that based on anything other than your own personal wish list?

It is indeed. A mate of mine spoke to Levein and he said no chance.

The rest was from a very occassional poster on here who was correct about a few things over the last month on the old forum. He's the only poster i've seen be correct on the few times he dropped info.

He also said McGhee had been sounded out already and said he was not interested.

The rest was from a very occassional poster on here who was correct about a few things over the last month on the old forum. He's the only poster i've seen be correct on the few times he dropped info.

He also said McGhee had been sounded out already and said he was not interested.

No decent manager will touch the job.

The Mighty Thor

Fair one mate.

Fingers crossed we'll see some progress soon. The longer it goes the quiter it gets the less likely we seem to get anyone of real quality.

Fair one mate.

Fingers crossed we'll see some progress soon. The longer it goes the quiter it gets the less likely we seem to get anyone of real quality.

If we don't get anyone in by this weekend, i suspect it will be the summer at the earliest. That is based on nothing but my opinion though.

Nucky Thompson

And I thought it was all a lie, we weren't interested in a new manager and Frail is going to get the job:cool:

And I thought it was all a lie, we weren't interested in a new manager and Frail is going to get the job:cool:

I have no proof that the guy was correct, but to me, his information (although extremely infrequent) was always correct, so his version seems the most plausible.

I have no doubt that they are looking for someone, but we know the Russians take a long time to do anything. If the team continues to improve under Frail, that also decreases the pressure on them to make an appointment quickly.

If they back Frail with the budget to bring in 2 or 3 1st team players who make us a better team overnight, i can just about handle waiting to the summer for a new, proper manager to come in and make the team his own.

Think it maybe terminal this time for ET ,thats what my arab mates here up in dundee think ,also eddies family may not be interested in taking over the reigns at tannadice in the future ,Sorry to be so morose,as its not easy to discus but thats what i have heard.

And the CL might not want to stay after that,So imo Thompson is trying to do what he feels is best for his club.

You're pretty much spot on... other than that his family would/will be involved. That's why CL may be looking elsewhere. I'd imagine this is an attempt to get him to stay once the top man isn't around anymore.

ET health may be getting worse(Prostrate Cancer) so he is safeguarding United's future, has his son daughter & wife coming on board aswell as Levein as DoF.

The man is a legend, it's just a shame he is only seeing a bit of 'success' on the park now after 5 years, ironically at a time when he has cut back on pumping money in like before, when he was splashing cash left right & centre we saw no success because we had dafties like McCall & Chiz incharge, its a shame Levein isnt seeing a budget like what they had(and wasted).

When he came in we were losing 2.5 million a year, thats now down to 500k and we will be breaking even by mid 2008 for the first tiem in 11 years.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/01/22/sportstory10832279t0.asp

Big thing for Levein, he gets to decide ALL football orientated decisions hirings and firings and where they scout, how they scout and how they train. Complete footballing control.

OR

He could come here, pick the team and maybe sign some of the players.

We are an attractive prospect but this announcement rules Levein out IMO.

The pictures i've see of ET in the papers look like he's a very ill man though that could just be the cancer treatment. I remember him being very slim but now he's put on weight.

May I just take this opportunity in wishing Eddie the best of luck.

He seems like a sound man, who has shown a true passion for his beloved Utd.

Take care sir.

Having lost my old fellah to cancer, I hope that Mr Thompson recovers.

A proper football man, who earned enough money to buy his dreams. I have total respect for the man.

That used to be called ..... ambition

Sydney from Sydney

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time a manager of Dundee Utd took a job in the board room, he went on to own the club.

Is it just possible that Levein might follow the same path. Certainly headstrong enough, and the chairman thinks a lot of him, and apparently is in poor health.

I know Levein is young but he's probably had more satisfaction through his present job than any other, including Hearts.

Archived