Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack

Don Draper

No guesses as to who perpetrated this crime. Payback time for their satirical cartoons ect possibly. What ever the case sympathies to the families and friends of the dead and injured.

Apprently the attack was because Charlie's latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

But of course, the media will say this has nothing to do with religion. ANYTHING but religion.

They have an RPG as well and are still at large.

It's fairly safe to assume that we'll never see another publication taking risks with comments and cartoons, etc.

Ibrahim Tall

It's fairly safe to assume that we'll never see another publication taking risks with comments and cartoons, etc.

Probably will, people said the same thing after the Danish Muhammad cartoon.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Apprently the attack was because Charlie's latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

But of course, the media will say this has nothing to do with religion. ANYTHING but religion.

I don't think they will. That party line is running out of chances now.

Probably will, people said the same thing after the Danish Muhammad cartoon.

But this seems to be a step change in ferocity. If it can be staged once then it can again. It's also highly inspirational for any like minded maniacs.

The Internet

Witnesses quoted by French Europe 1 radio say that one of the attackers shouted "The prophet was avenged" while carrying out the assault.

Utterly broken in the brain.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Like someone on Twitter says, if this is about a cartoon then every paper in the world should print it tomorrow.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

As night follows day, it can only be a few hours until we get a piece from Owen Jones in the Guardian telling us all not to overreact.

Death toll up to 12.

The amateur video they're showing on the news is truly terrifying. **** knows what it was like for the poor folk involved.

BoJack Horseman

The tweet in question was only made 2 hours ago. Seems awfully quick to react in such fashion.

Was thinking that. Took them an hour to assemble the guys and gear and to execute an attack on the building. Potentially already lined up as a target and were waiting for their next offensive publication, or these guys are just constantly ready to attack.

Ibrahim Tall

The tweet in question was only made 2 hours ago. Seems awfully quick to react in such fashion.

The posted a cartoon of Muhammed a while ago apparently, based on the "prophet is avenged" comment they came out with id imagine that was the excuse.

Today was probably just a coincidence.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Jesus...the online footage.

I'm not posting any of it here and be warned if you go looking, you'll see a policeman getting executed.

The People's Chimp

Bullshit. I hope every paper runs with the "offending"  cartoon on their front page. 

The People's Chimp

Was thinking that. Took them an hour to assemble the guys and gear and to execute an attack on the building. Potentially already lined up as a target and were waiting for their next offensive publication, or these guys are just constantly ready to attack.

The tweet was probably a coincidence and this has been planned for a while. 

Charlie Hebdo don't need masks or automatic weapons to stand up for their beliefs. 

Bullshit. I hope every paper runs with the "offending"  cartoon on their front page. 

Just saw a tweet by the Telegraph showing the front cover of the magazine but blurred out. I appreciate their concerns but couldn't help but feel disappointed.

I hope others don't follow suit. Strength in numbers and all that.

Creepy Lurker

It'd be nice to think that we could have a grown-up discussion about the way in which the political and economic situation in the Middle East gives rise to extremist religious views, and how disenfranchised youths in a country where integration has proven problematic have latched onto that, but judging by this thread it looks like we're going to just imply that Islam is for savages again. Oh well.

As night follows day, it can only be a few hours until we get a piece from Owen Jones in the Guardian telling us all not to overreact.

Or telling us it's "our fault".

Sheriff Fatman

Name me one instance where the press claim that an Islamist terrorist attack has absolutely nothing to do with religion?

They have rightly said that every Muslim cannot be blamed, but they do blame the extreme elements of the religion.

It'd be nice to think that we could have a grown-up discussion about the way in which the political and economic situation in the Middle East gives rise to extremist religious views, and how disenfranchised youths in a country where integration has proven problematic have latched onto that, but judging by this thread it looks like we're going to just imply that Islam is for savages again. Oh well.

Start the grown-up discussion yourself.

Creepy Lurker

Start the grown-up discussion yourself.

If you look really closely, you'll see that I actually made a point in the post you quoted.

NewYorkJambo

That's not a safe assumption at all. In fact, there's no chance that will happen. I have no doubts publications will continue to "take risks".  Freedom of speech and freedom of the press won't end.

Regal Kingston

What part of that do you disagree with?

What are we supposed to do then?

Its a primal instinct to hate - especially after such a horrendous butchering of our fellow human beings.

Policeman FFS!

12 families have been destroyed because of this murderous act - Personally I hope those responsible or people who knew about it get their lives destroyed too.

*edit* destroyed by the letter of the law

Would do but way too busy trying to work out if this is the day when I can finally (and freely) get stuck into muslims without some tiresome PC brigader telling me that they're not all extremists and that.

:unsure::oldsad:

Owen Jones has it about right.

Creepy Lurker

Its a primal instinct to hate - especially after such a horrendous butchering of our fellow human beings.

Policeman FFS!

12 families have been destroyed because of this murderous act - Personally I hope those responsible or people who knew about it get their lives destroyed too.

Some might say that we should rise above 'primal instincts' because that's what makes us better than those who commit acts like these.

I read the tweet as saying that we shouldn't hate Islam rather than the specific individual perpetrators.

Policeman FFS!

*edit* destroyed by the letter of the law

Depends who you want to hate for it, I suppose.

Personally, I'm going for the cowardly lunatics who went out with guns and shot innocent people.

According to eyewitnesses they spoke perfect French with French accents. So go on then, what does the political and economic situation in the Middle East have to do with this ?

Their version of Islam is at odds with Western democracy and free speech. That's about it. 

Creepy Lurker

According to eyewitnesses they spoke perfect French with French accents. So go on then, what does the political and economic situation in the Middle East have to do with this ?

Try reading my post properly. In particular the bit about disenfranchised French youths.

Try reading my post properly. In particular the bit about disenfranchised French youths.

try answering my question, what does the political and economic situation in the Middle East have to do with this ?

loveofthegame

The radical element of the Islamic religion is fairly terrifying, whether these folk truly believe that they are doing this for religious good or just as a front for terror.

Either way, it is utterly disgusting.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

What part of that do you disagree with?

I don't actually disagree with any of it. It's just that (as stated earlier in the thread) Owen Jones will churn out that line no matter the circumstances, no matter the story, no matter how much of the detail we have.

Creepy Lurker

try answering my question, what does the political and economic situation in the Middle East have to do with this ?

Okay, since reading comprehension evidently isn't a strong point of yours I'll repeat the point that I've already made anyway.

Radical Islam has seen a rise due to the political and economic situation in the Middle East.  That's what has given it its impetus over a fairly long period.

Young people of immigrant backgrounds in France, feeling disenfranchised by society, have become aware of that rise - helped in recent years by the rise of the internet in general and social media in particular - and some have latched onto it in a form of misguided community identification.

I did, of course, already say pretty much exactly this.

Young Muslims who feel far more connected to their homelands than their adopted nations (i.e. Disenfranchised) look to what's happening in the Middle East and see an endless stream of drone strikes and dead civilians.

It's really not that hard to fathom why they would hold grudges against the West is it?

Ibrahim Tall

The political and economic situation in the middle East caused their families to immigrate to a country where they've then lived in virtual ghetto completely unadapted to society in a country which has long given up on them. Being poorly educated and cut off from any 'hope' of a better life other than through drugs, crime or football they've become easy prey for fanatics to convince them that it's all the Wests fault for their hopeless life and situation.

Could use the same reasoning for Britain First/BNP supporters(without the immigration part clearly).

The Old Tolbooth

I despise religion, I really do! 

RIP to those poor people and thoughts with their families, hope the *******s are hung from the tower once found! 

I've just watched the video on liveleak and these savages show no mercy what so ever. The execute a wounded and downed police man without a second thought.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Okay, since reading comprehension evidently isn't a strong point of yours I'll repeat the point that I've already made anyway.

Radical Islam has seen a rise due to the political and economic situation in the Middle East.  That's what has given it its impetus over a fairly long period.

Young people of immigrant backgrounds in France, feeling disenfranchised by society, have become aware of that rise - helped in recent years by the rise of the internet in general and social media in particular - and some have latched onto it in a form of misguided community identification.

I did, of course, already say pretty much exactly this.

If Radical Islam was concentrated solely on the west then I'd agree. But in the Middle East (and particularly with Islamic State) you've got Muslims slaughtering Muslims by the hundred. Some of it is basically ethnic cleansing. In Pakistan, you've got the Taliban attacking a school of kids, simply because their parents are in the military. The extremists are snakes in a barrel and to suggest otherwise is letting them off too easily.

I've just watched the video on liveleak and these savages show no mercy what so ever. The execute a wounded and downed police man without a second thought.

not really all that surprising is it?

not really all that surprising is it?

Unfortunately not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived