The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Because it's not an attack on a nation. It's an attack on people. People in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Inverness and Stirling and Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast, London, St Ives and anywhere else there are people who are vulnerable and need a voice.

It was a time to rally and ignore nationalism. But we and the English bought into nationalism. Into a split nation. And we a will all suffer for this. All of us.

5 Years of Tory government may be a price worth paying for Independence.

Not something I wish for but it may well prove to be a reality

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with that partially. Most people will be swept up in the result without realising the broader context that we're stuck with the Tories for another 5 years.

It's ok though, once we're independent in a few years time we can finally address problems that we've inbred for what will be a decade by then in Scotland.

I fear this will be so bitter after tonight that the nation will be a hard place to do politics. And I don't mean the UK alone. Scotland is set to become very angry and bitter.

jambo1185

Labour slipping to third in Dumfries and Galloway.

Could Labour seriously end up third overall In votes?

Edited by jambo1185

Robbie Neilson

If the Tories really wanted us to stay in the Union, the next 5 years will be the proof. If they go too hard, Scotland will be gone

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Battersea a top Labour target. In London. But a swing to the Conservatives. Wow. 

It was an offering equal to and near identical to the SNP's. So what we're saying is it lacked nationalism and patriotism. If that's the case, count me out. It's about people and opportunities. Not the nation.

Its about Labour X2, theyre not anymore, wr're trying to get them back.

Wonder how that argument of independent Scotland being a left wing beacon for the misguided fools in English is looking tonight.

I think this is the case.

Tell that to all these countries.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_that_have_gained_independence_from_the_United_Kingdom

We do have the chance to change Britain. With a new federal structure.

Federalism won't happen now. Independence is a certainty if it's 58 seats.

But it's coming at a high cost.

Your intentions may well be genuinely positive. But for christ sakes man, this is going to be very bad before it gets better.

Nationalism - Tory and SNP - has lost Labour this election. Fear has won the day, fear of Westminster and in England fear of the SNP. It's bloody horrific. Neither have been great, both could do better, but neither are the answer to the problems of the UK.

Because it's not an attack on a nation. It's an attack on people. People in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Inverness and Stirling and Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast, London, St Ives and anywhere else there are people who are vulnerable and need a voice.

It was a time to rally and ignore nationalism. But we and the English bought into nationalism. Into a split nation. And we a will all suffer for this. All of us.

For someone who has been one of the most balanced posters on here I have to say your meltdown.on here is pretty sad. I laugh at the raging britnats but I thought you would be a voice of reason.  I am over the.moon at how.things are looking but will hold.off on celebrating till I see Murphy out on his ear

Robbie Neilson

Miliband on course to poll less than Brown!

:pleasing:

Chance for Labour to sort their shit out. Maybe it wont be too hard, in 5 years time, after this next supposedly brutal Tory government coming, they can stand on pretty much, "We are no the Tories" And it'll be enough to win :lol:

Or Labour's arguments and offerings just weren't good enough for the people.

Labour offered nothing but negativity. They are reaping what they sowed, in spades

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

It was an offering equal to and near identical to the SNP's. So what we're saying is it lacked nationalism and patriotism. If that's the case, count me out. It's about people and opportunities. Not the nation.

What happened to Labour values transcending nationalism?

Lacking nationalism and patriotism is not the reason why Labour is losing. You're taking the easy and lazy excuse. 

Its about Labour X2, theyre not anymore, wr're trying to get them back.

By doing what? By doing what? By replacing them with the SNP? A party who've done nothing which has redistributed a penny for rich to poor? A part who've presided over worsening education standards and outcomes in Scotland? Over a collapse in health equality? Over a collapse in social mobility?

We were making gains up till the mid-point of the last decade in Scotland. We've gone backwards. That's not SNP-labour. It's SNP failure.

invernessjt

Thats half the story.

The other half is that the Tory vote in England would increase because of Cameron casting the spectre of Salmond over the English voters. Why do you think Cameron has been raising this every day over the least two weeks. That has nothing to do with Labour.

Millibands Labour have alienated voters in both England and Scotland. Their faillings are all their own.

Albert Tatlock

Wee Aldo Salmond looks knackered.

Yep. I thought he looked quite ill.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

Harry Palmer

alex thomson ?@alextomo  26 secs

Tom Clarke in Coatbridge gone? 24.9% Swing on the cards Labour's safest seat in Scotland

Hearing from SNP sources at AECC 'landslide victory' for nationalists over in Aberdeen North constituency previously held by Labour

Edited by Harry Palmer

What happened to Labour values transcending nationalism?

Lacking nationalism and patriotism is not the reason why Labour is losing. You're taking the easy and lazy excuse.

I fear a second term of these Tories. Really do.

Labour failed this election in Scotland. My posts show my unhappiness with their campaign. But Labour actually offered change and it's been spurned.

I'm bloody frightened of ?12bn cuts to welfare. It's terrifying. Arbitrary and vindictive.

We will see so much pain in the UK.

I'm off to bed. I'm up tomorrow for work. I hope o wake up to an exit poll which has been wrong. But I fear for the worse off in the whole UK if they are right.

Hoping YouGov is right.

If anything, surely the country is more united than its been for a while.

The independence referendum was far more emotive than this, the country is still standing.

This nation I meant the UK. As it's that election. I don't want the pain of the Tory cuts to come to fall on anyone in these islands. But they will likely fall now. And fall hard and on anyone.

Scotland appears to have returned an SNP majority. but under fptp I don't think we could be looking at majority of the vote.

It's really pish to give JamboX2 a hard time for caring about the inevitable crap the poor of the UK are about to face FWIW.

By doing what? By doing what? By replacing them with the SNP? A party who've done nothing which has redistributed a penny for rich to poor? A part who've presided over worsening education standards and outcomes in Scotland? Over a collapse in health equality? Over a collapse in social mobility?

We were making gains up till the mid-point of the last decade in Scotland. We've gone backwards. That's not SNP-labour. It's SNP failure.

I dont agree X2, do you think its easy voting against Labour. Labour have stopped, full stop.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

It's really pish to give JamboX2 a hard time for caring about the inevitable crap the poor of the UK are about to face FWIW.

No one's "giving him a hard time", let alone for caring for the poor.

People are critiquing his snap reasoning for Labour doing badly so far. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Remember when George Robertson claimed that devolution would kill nationalism stone dead?

:rofl:

Robbie Neilson

IM just twisting his twiglet

Its knee jerk bollocks. At least wait till tomorrow to asses the carnage

If it was the case that Labour had been outflanked in Scotland only by cult of personality/SNP lies/stupid electorate/[insert lazy excuse here], presumably they would be romping home in the rest of the UK after five years of Tory austerity. Instead, the swing is against them. Why?

dobmisterdobster

Not a sure thing that the lib dumbs will join with the Tory party

It killed the electoral careers of most of their MPs. Why would they do it again?

jambo1185

Both SNP amd Tories seem to be backtracking on not speaking to each other given how things are shaping up.

Interesting

Labour massacred in Nuneaton, one of its key marginals.

New electorate needed there too.