The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

The SNP are not to blame. Labour would still be well short even if they won all 59 seats in Scotland.

England gets what they want and they want a Tory government.

Two nationalisms fought this campaign. Two. A Scottish one. An English one.

Who wins?

Not the poor. Not the weak. Not the vulnerable.

?12bn of welfare cuts. Dilution of workers rights. And an exit to Europe. Nationalism helps no one. And the two key areas of the UK have vote nationalistically.

This was the chance to change Britain. To right wrongs and build a better nation. Now we're about to see it shattered, isolated and made poorer.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

deesidejambo

It's easy for SNP supporters, myself included, to get wrapped up in the potential result tonight whilst failing to acknowledge the broader point that we're going to suffer another five years of Tory cuts. Good point.

SNP taking Labour seats in Scotland - Tories benefit.

Cameron casting SNP as Labour masters in England - Tories benefit.

So Tories will win the election, thanks to the SNP.  Nice one Nicola.

GALLOWAY IS GONE. All but confirmed.

:pleasing: :pleasing: :pleasing:

Report on the radio that there is an issue with a re-tweet from Galloway concerning an exit poll - returning officer not happy.

deesidejambo

Report on the radio that there is an issue with a re-tweet from Galloway concerning an exit poll - returning officer not happy.

Don't care about the retweet - as long as he loses.

Gorgiewave

An anti-Labour majority, what the SNP and the Conservatives wanted all along.

invernessjt

Can't be Trident & we'd never vote to leave Europe.

I'm just saying how it should play out. But we all know that Sturgeon and the SNP have no shame and will happily lie & go back on their word.

As EVERY political party does.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Simon Hughes apparently to be punted. David Laws has a fight on in his seat.

:wow:

Labour on BBC Scotland already blaming the SNP! They never learn, absolutely clueless.

Confusion, disbelief, despair and anger will rule them tonight. What do you expect? Do you want them to queue up and repent? To shuffle off and say nothing?

This polling is unexpected.

I'm saddened. A Tory government backed by the right, back by homophobes, backed by euroskeptics and backed by cutters is disastrous for the poorest, weakest and most vulnerable in the UK. I'm shocked it could be this.

It's proof in my eyes that nationalism helps no one but the cause of nationalism.

deesidejambo

Why would you blame the SNP for Labour failings?

Labour have failed - there is no doubt - Tony Blair step forward for that one.

But Nicola must have been aware that success of her party also would result in success for the Tories.     So her "kick out the Tory Toffs" statement has backfired.

Referendum 2 here we come.

Labour on BBC Scotland already blaming the SNP! They never learn, absolutely clueless.

Yep. That Labour MEP had nothing to say about why her party has flopped so miserably. As predicted, no self-awareness, no self-analysis. Only fury at the SNP. Remarkably, none of her ire was aimed at people who voted for her new chums, the Tories, in England. All very telling.

invernessjt

So Tories will win the election, thanks to the SNP. Nice one Nicola.

The Tories will win, as usual, because the English want them to. Nothing to do with how Scotland doesn't vote Labour.

freddiemac

41a04e9fb094ad4112fe8e96e9620b18.jpg

you just wonder where the maverick will turn up next? Under what banner? Considering he's never going to Win any popularity contests and given his chequered political history it amazes me he's lasted so long in politics.

Why would you blame the SNP for Labour failings?

It's not that for me.

For me it's that it is the case that every seat Labour lost in Scotland has cheered on the Tories. The SNP will now be agitating for a second referendum. And in the meantime Scotland's worse off will be harmed (by two governments more focused on other things).

Think the Tories are bad in coalition? Wait till they have a proper right wing partner like the DUP and UKIP.

Gorgiewave

you just wonder where the maverick will turn up next? Under what banner? Considering he's never going to Win any popularity contests and given his chequered political history it amazes me he's lasted so long in politics.

London Mayor, apparently.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

He's going to swan into a high paid job in finance. 

deesidejambo

The Tories will win, as usual, because the English want them to. Nothing to do with how Scotland doesn't vote Labour.

Thats half the story.

The other half is that the Tory vote in England would increase because of Cameron casting the spectre of Salmond over the English voters.  Why do you think Cameron has been raising this every day over the least two weeks.    That has nothing to do with Labour.

Yep. That Labour MEP had nothing to say about why her party has flopped so miserably. As predicted, no self-awareness, no self-analysis. Only fury at the SNP. Remarkably, none of her ire was aimed at people who voted for her new chums, the Tories, in England. All very telling.

Not in Scotland. I'm in England. Not getting Scottish coverage. But I'd go far in saying that the SNP record on being "progressive" is dreadful. Health, educational and social inequalities up on their own policies at Holyrood.

Our progressive future is in ruins tonight.

I hope and pray this polling is wrong. I hope we do have enough MPs to see a centre left government.

But like it or not, the nationalism on both sides of this election has screwed the ordinary folk of the nation.

Confusion, disbelief, despair and anger will rule them tonight. What do you expect? Do you want them to queue up and repent? To shuffle off and say nothing?

This polling is unexpected.

I'm saddened. A Tory government backed by the right, back by homophobes, backed by euroskeptics and backed by cutters is disastrous for the poorest, weakest and most vulnerable in the UK. I'm shocked it could be this.

It's proof in my eyes that nationalism helps no one but the cause of nationalism.

What is wrong with that ?........the people speak and as the voters were told at the time of the referendum respect the vote.

The people of Scotland are speaking and are looking for protection from what they see as an attack on their country and political leanings..the Labour party have failed to convince voters for a number of years and now the mood is for change.

At this rate this may be one of the last UK votes we ever have and any Tory attacks on Scotland will simply strengthen that view.

dobmisterdobster

London Mayor where he has no chance.

After that. He will still be a talking head appearing on news channels.

He will never fully go away but his relevance will decline.

Edited by dobmisterdobster

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

It's not that for me.

For me it's that it is the case that every seat Labour lost in Scotland has cheered on the Tories. The SNP will now be agitating for a second referendum. And in the meantime Scotland's worse off will be harmed (by two governments more focused on other things).

Think the Tories are bad in coalition? Wait till they have a proper right wing partner like the DUP and UKIP.

You aren't going to win votes back for Labour by blaming the electorate. 

Libdems will be bankrupt after this election, losing all their deposits.

Murphy,Roy,Curran and Nash, NL out,Glasgow is all SNP. Yasssssss.

And Tories in at Westminster. What next?

Nationalism dominated this campaign. Two nationalism. Both as bad as each other.

Kinnock is right, Britian is on the verge of a bitterly divisive time now.

Labour weren't good enough. But they'd be a damn sight better than the Tories.

umm.........even if all 59 seats went Labour, we'd still end up with Tory 316 and Labour 298.

Even with the 10 remaining Libdems Labour wouldn't get over the 326 finish line.

Try again.

Edited by Cade

Thats half the story.

The other half is that the Tory vote in England would increase because of Cameron casting the spectre of Salmond over the English voters. Why do you think Cameron has been raising this every day over the least two weeks. That has nothing to do with Labour.

Quoting this because it's important.

If the SNP are taking the blame for anything tonight it's this. Rightly or wrongly it's exactly what has happened.

The full story is that most people are shits however. JamboX2 is right that the real losers of tonight are the poor. But there was no secret or cheat that would have achieved a left wing Government. I'm alright Jack will always win the day.

Might as well enjoy the tear up in the meantime.

Edited by djf

You aren't going to win votes back for Labour by blaming the electorate.

No. But it's my personal opinion.

I've said on here ad nauseum that the Party's campaign was flawed in Scotland and the debate of two nationalisms has squeezed their vote.

I'm not blaming the electorate. They voted based on their wants. But I cannot help but feel buth W battle of nationalism has killed social progress in Britian and set us back so far.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

0.2% swing to Labour in Tooting. Labour not making traction in London. ****ing London.

That exit poll may actually be very close to the truth. 

Never thought I would see the day when Edinburgh may be seen as the Labour stronghold in Scotland.

Mind you given the referendum results in Edinburgh it may not be as unexpected as first thought

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

No. But it's my personal opinion.

I've said on here ad nauseum that the Party's campaign was flawed in Scotland and the debate of two nationalisms has squeezed their vote.

I'm not blaming the electorate. They voted based on their wants. But I cannot help but feel buth W battle of nationalism has killed social progress in Britian and set us back so far.

Or Labour's arguments and offerings just weren't good enough for the people.

Alan Roden ?@AlanRoden 2 mins2 minutes ago

Update from Jim Murphy's East Renfrewshire seat: Labour source: "It's not looking great."

Laura Kuenssberg ?@bbclaurak 1 min1 minute ago

Lib Dem candidate in Renfrewshire East suggests Jim Murphy has lost his seat - painful for Scottish Labour if true

:rofl: oh ya ficking beauty, yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

What is wrong with that ?........the people speak and as the voters were told at the time of the referendum respect the vote.

The people of Scotland are speaking and are looking for protection from what they see as an attack on their country and political leanings..the Labour party have failed to convince voters for a number of years and now the mood is for change.

At this rate this may be one of the last UK votes we ever have and any Tory attacks on Scotland will simply strengthen that view.

Because it's not an attack on a nation. It's an attack on people. People in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Inverness and Stirling and Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Belfast, London, St Ives and anywhere else there are people who are vulnerable and need a voice.

It was a time to rally and ignore nationalism. But we and the English bought into nationalism. Into a split nation. And we a will all suffer for this. All of us.

Or Labour's arguments and offerings just weren't good enough for the people.

It was an offering equal to and near identical to the SNP's. So what we're saying is it lacked nationalism and patriotism. If that's the case, count me out. It's about people and opportunities. Not the nation.

dobmisterdobster

Two nationalisms fought this campaign. Two. A Scottish one. An English one.

Who wins?

Not the poor. Not the weak. Not the vulnerable.

?12bn of welfare cuts. Dilution of workers rights. And an exit to Europe. Nationalism helps no one. And the two key areas of the UK have vote nationalistically.

This was the chance to change Britain. To right wrongs and build a better nation. Now we're about to see it shattered, isolated and made poorer.

Tell that to all these countries.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_that_have_gained_independence_from_the_United_Kingdom

We do have the chance to change Britain. With a new federal structure.

Thats half the story.

The other half is that the Tory vote in England would increase because of Cameron casting the spectre of Salmond over the English voters.  Why do you think Cameron has been raising this every day over the least two weeks.    That has nothing to do with Labour.

Don't blame the SNP for Cameron stoking anti-Scots sentiment. They wanted us to stay in this "Union" yet cannot accept our democratic will.

manaliveits105

Im happy to go with the settled will of the Edinburgh people what ever that may be cos that's democracy  

I agree with that partially. Most people will be swept up in the result without realising the broader context that we're stuck with the Tories for another 5 years.

It's ok though, once we're independent in a few years time we can finally address problems that we've inbred for what will be a decade by then in Scotland.

I fear this will be so bitter after tonight that the nation will be a hard place to do politics. And I don't mean the UK alone. Scotland is set to become very angry and bitter.

Wonder how that argument of independent Scotland being a left wing beacon for the misguided fools in English is looking tonight.