The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Unknown user

Of course it's clear what she meant, the point I'm making is the fact she didn't have to mention the party by name speaks volumes about how that "certain party" is perceived (both by its opponents and its own supporters), given they immediately jump to the same conclusion.

Yes, the enemy. That's how they're seen.

You know it, I know it, they know it, it's got nothing to do with reputations

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor

Ruth Davidson caught telling porkies again.

11209705_1044529428910597_42755054345796

Oh dear!

Good to see the council slapping the dozy bint right back into her place. :thumb:

jambo1185

Yes, the enemy. That's how they're seen.

You know it, I know it, they know it, it's got nothing to do with reputations

Not sure Cameron considers the SNP to be his enemy to be honest, he's probably loving them destroying Labour today!

The Mighty Thor

Thor, my issue is not with the colour of the rosette.

It is with the calibre of the candidate, whatever their path.

It is also despair in general at the Scottish electorate and their tendency to vote in sheep fashion

The SNP is the new Scottish Labour

par example- the Edinburgh candidate who mocked the elderly- he will still be voted in despite being a frankly abhorrent candidate.

Mhairi Black? Terrible advert for this country.

Doc this isn't a new phenomenon. There's been arseholes returned to Westminster since the place opened it's doors for the first time. Are the candidates now really any worse than the guys of your youth or is it that everything is far more visible in the 24 hour news and social media culture?

The voting like lemmings of Scots has genuinely either put or  kept Labour in power for 50 years and to me the rise of the SNP really just illustrates how disillusioned Scots have become with their 'traditional' party. 

For every Mhairi Black there's an Eric Joyce or a Mick Martin etc, but counter that with the hard working, honest MP's who actually do serve their constituencies both at Westminster and at their surgeries. 

I'm not sure if it's a terrible advert for this country or a terrible advert for the calibre of individual wishing to go into politics. 

jambo1185

This seems a tad severe, even if he was a crap MP:-

CEZFjeFWgAAhjgS.jpg

Edited by jambo1185

JudyJudyJudy

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how borrowing almost ?2bn a week is "austerity". It's a fecking myth!

Yeah its a joke 

Craig Gordons Gloves

It is also despair in general at the Scottish electorate and their tendency to vote in sheep fashion

par example- the Edinburgh candidate who mocked the elderly- he will still be voted in despite being a frankly abhorrent candidate.

Conversely - a great advert for this country whereby people don't view it as a bad thing that a 20 year old runs for parliament.  Is there an age limit? Is it better having people who know more about the age group they are rather than a group of middle aged career politicians?

So - what do you not like about Mhairi Black? (i'm asking as i don't know her either way - i'm curious as to why she's a terrible advert for the country, i don't think she's studying to be a lawyer so it can't be that )

Malinga the Swinga

Em....!

I believe being found guilty of assault, especially more than once, qualifies him as a thug. Do you disagree?

jambo1185

Conversely - a great advert for this country whereby people don't view it as a bad thing that a 20 year old runs for parliament.  Is there an age limit? Is it better having people who know more about the age group they are rather than a group of middle aged career politicians?

So - what do you not like about Mhairi Black? (i'm asking as i don't know her either way - i'm curious as to why she's a terrible advert for the country, i don't think she's studying to be a lawyer so it can't be that )

Given Mairi Black would be going to parliament straight out of university, isn't she technically a career politician? Her age doesn't particularly bother me but it seems odd for people to moan about career politicians never having had a real job or worked in the real world and then support someone with no 'real world of work' experience as their replacement.

She's said some unsavoury things in the past about headbutting no voters and hating celtic or something. Usual problem nowadays of anything you said on twitter being found and dragged up to be used against you (like that Chris Graham chap at the Orcs). Stuff that years ago no one would have been any the wiser to.

Edited by jambo1185

Malinga the Swinga

This seems a tad severe, even if he was a crap MP:-

CEZFjeFWgAAhjgS.jpg

Nothing like a bit of friendly banter between camps, and that is certainly nothing like friendly banter.

doctor jambo

She is a career politician

Never had a job, no experience- at least those in middle age have at some point BEEN 20.

Narrow minded , head strong but not in a good way- not very bright

As I've said before- if you advertised a job offering ?60 k per year + expenses, and someone applied for it with no qualifications at all, nor any experience of said occupation, or in fact anything apart from high school,

Would you even take them to interview?

Of course you wouldn't

That she is even selected incdicates to me the state party wants mindless followers ( much as labour did)

JudyJudyJudy

I haven't a clue who or what you're talking about from the past yet I'm able to divine her message from what she said. 

SNP are the enemy as far as Labour and the Tories are concerned, this is undeniable. If it was Labour, she would have said Labour but she didn't, because she meant the SNP.

I can't take anyone who argues with this seriously, it's as clear as the nose on her face what she meant.

Come on she means the SNP simple...another smear from her...nasty piece of s***

Give the SNP 50 years of (at best) mediocrity in Scotland before labelling them the new Scottish Labour - or at least a bit more time than they've had.

It's strange that the SNP's candidates are being singled out. I've hardly seen any of the Labour, Tory, LibDem or Green candidates in action, but I'm willing to bet most of them aren't brilliant. This is Scotland 2015. There are bampots everywhere. As I've said before, it's a country shaped very much in the image of the party that has held the whip hand the length and breadth of the land for the last half century.

The Mighty Thor

Eric Joyce isn't an intellectual pygmie. He is just a thug, pure and simple.

I think the guy has some real deep rooted issues that need sorting out.

The point stands. There's been poor candidates and some absolute fecking roasters sent to Westminster from day dot. 

jambo1185

Give the SNP 50 years of (at best) mediocrity in Scotland before labelling them the new Scottish Labour - or at least a bit more time than they've had.

It's strange that the SNP's candidates are being singled out. I've hardly seen any of the Labour, Tory, LibDem or Green candidates in action, but I'm willing to bet most of them aren't brilliant. This is Scotland 2015. There are bampots everywhere. As I've said before, it's a country shaped very much in the image of the party that has held the whip hand the length and breadth of the land for the last half century.

I think the SNP themselves are surprised by how good they are looking, and a lot of these candidates were being put out in this election to be 'trained up', severely reduce majorities, and have a platform and experience to build on for a future election (either next year at Holyrood or the next GE), and I think Black is a prime example of that. Demolish Alexander's majority, get her on the front line, then complete the job next time when she's a bit older, wiser, had some more experience. So there is concern that for some this will be a big step up quickly. Some will be absolutely fine, some might struggle - it's a harder job than I think many appreciate (well, it is if you commit yourself properly to it of course).

Edited by jambo1185

The Mighty Thor

Never had a job, no experience- at least those in middle age have at some point BEEN 20.

As I've said before- if you advertised a job offering ?60 k per year + expenses, and someone applied for it with no qualifications at all, nor any experience of said occupation, or in fact anything apart from high school,

Of course you wouldn't

That she is even selected incdicates to me the state party wants mindless followers ( much as labour did)

Doc i'm not sure what's worse. A Mhairi Black at 20 as a 'career' politician or Ed Milliband/Dave Cameron in their late forties having never had a job outside politics or indeed the cottage industries surrounding Westminster?

doctor jambo

Maybe they haven't come out with half as much toxic, obnoxious crap as the SNP candidates?

You can disagree with the policies of the other parties- but the faux pa's of the SNP new-uns are up there with the UKIPers

I think the SNP themselves are surprised by how good they are looking, and a lot of these candidates were being put out in this election to be 'trained up', severely reduce majorities, and have a platform and experience to build on for a future election (either next year at Holyrood or the next GE), and I think Black is a prime example of that. Demolish Alexander's majority, get her on the front line, then complete the job next time when she's a bit older, wiser, had some more experience. So there is concern that for some this will be a big step up quickly. Some will be absolutely fine, some might struggle - it's a harder job than I think many appreciate (well, it is if you commit yourself properly to it of course).

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. It will be a steep learning curve for many.

jambo1185

Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. It will be a steep learning curve for many.

I think looking at general candidate profiles it is quite interesting. I know Labour had lots of incumbents but there's very little 'young blood' there, compared to both the SNP and the Tories who are both fielding several younger and/or more inexperienced candidates with half an eye on regional lists for Holyrood next year and building bases in constituencies for future elections.

Given that many Labour MPs are lambs to the slaughter, I would have been inclined to put some new faces out there, particular in areas where the incumbent doesn't have great personal ratings. Try and wipe the slate clean and start fresh - they're going to have to do that anyway as most defeated MPs probably won't continue to try again.

Maybe they haven't come out with half as much toxic, obnoxious crap as the SNP candidates?

You can disagree with the policies of the other parties- but the faux pa's of the SNP new-uns are up there with the UKIPers

There's toxic, obnoxious stuff everywhere in this election. I picked up a copy of the Mail on Sunday in London a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at the lies, distortion and xenophobia I read.

And the worst thing I have seen in the campaign is the Tory party's Salmond poster. It's Goebbels-style Jud S?? for the 21st century. An absolutely disgusting piece of xenophobia targeted directly at the worst instincts of Middle England. Whoever passed that should be up in court - but it has hardly been commented on. Just a laugh.

Edited by leginten

doctor jambo

Doc i'm not sure what's worse. A Mhairi Black at 20 as a 'career' politician or Ed Milliband/Dave Cameron in their late forties having never had a job outside politics or indeed the cottage industries surrounding Westminster?

In 20 years she will be that person

If the SNP want to be different- then be different

Advertise for candidates, interview, have basic stipulations- work, life, travel, interests

Family, kids- whatever

This is just nepotism

Rewarding their backers/attack dogs/campaigners.

Offer different and I would vote for them (possibly) -

A republic, something

Nothing like a bit of friendly banter between camps, and that is certainly nothing like friendly banter.

It is particularly poor. Harris himself was the perpetrator of the Salmond "Downfall" spoof so is no stranger to attempts to besmirch opponents and tar them with the racist brush, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Edited by leginten

The Mighty Thor

There's toxic, obnoxious stuff everywhere in this election. I picked up a copy of the Mail on Sunday in London a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at the lies, distortion and xenophobia I read.

And the worst thing I have seen in the campaign is the Tory party's Salmond poster. It's Goebbels-style Jud S?? for the 21st century. An absolutely disgusting piece of xenophobia targeted directly at the worst instincts of Middle England. Whoever passed that should be up in court - but it has hardly been commented on. Just a laugh.

I liked this riposte

cbnidalw0aahpdl.png

Unknown user

Come on she means the SNP simple...another smear from her...nasty piece of s***

So you agree with me

Pans Jambo

This. If my beloved Anne Begg gets booted by that young smarmy grinning stooge McCaig it will be a loss for everyone - she is (or was!) the hardest-worknig MP I've ever come across, and added value and compassion to Westminster in spades.

Is Anne yer burd???

I liked this riposte

cbnidalw0aahpdl.png

It's a good response to that particular poster, but that's not the one I meant. I'm referring to the one where the cunning Scot is pickpocketing the unsuspecting citizen - stealing the wallet from his trouser pocket. Grubby, sordid electioneering designed to stir up hatred.

jambo1185

Some further info, although it is from the Daily Fail:

A spokesman for the Scottish Conservatives said: 'Two members of the public complained to us regarding a situation at Newington Sports and Leisure Polling Station in Annan. 

'We have passed on their complaint to the electoral registration officer at the council and have spoken to Police Scotland. We take all such reports seriously and always pass on the relevant information.'

MailOnline has contacted the SNP to comment on Mrs Davidson's allegations but the local council said they had no complaints although police are looking into the matter.

Assuming that (i) the whole thing isn't made up (which seems unlikely) and (ii) the two people involved aren't making it up (also seems unlikely), it was probably just a one off, maybe a couple of guys (or yoofs) acting like big boys and making a few comments at a couple of eldery biddies before moving on, nothing really that sinister.

Don't think Ruth should have tweeted anything if it was under investigation. If she wanted to make a general point she could have been much more vague, saying something generic about 'if you experience any intimidation whilst on your way to a polling station report it' bla bla bla, rather than mentioning a specific event. Bit clumsy of her really.

Edited by jambo1185

Psychedelicropcircle

Says you who's gaffer says his opposition stabbed his bro in the back.

Vote cast.

Good luck Owen Thompson.

He was 1/7 with hills, don't think he will need much luck. Mental when you think labour had a majority of 10000 or so at the last general election

Done

Let the fun begin.

Hoping for some proper seethe from the tories and their press tomorrow.

:)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Of course you wouldn't

And you know shes not very bright because? I'm sure she's reasonably bright. I'm also sure that (as has been mentioned) that the SNP probab;y didnt expect to overturn a 16,000 majority against a 'big hitter' from the labour party and probably thought this would be a good experience for her.  

Your job application analogy doesn't work though.  I have taken people with little to no experience of a field to interview, in the main to help give them exposure and development for the future.  I'm not saying that a 20 year old should be an MP, but i'm also saying that it's not at embarassment if there is a 20 year old elected to parliament. 

TheMaganator

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Nationalists are as Nationalist does (or something)

"Leader of Scottish Tories claims 'burly blokes' are blocking voters at polling station as police warn of 'threatening behaviour' by Nationalists"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3071622/Fears-voting-Scotland-disrupted-intimidating-SNP-supporters-plan-arrive-late-follow-counting-staff-police-issue-warnings-polling-stations.html

chuck berrys hairline

Done and the playoff popcorn to be consumed tonight/tomorrow as you all go for each others throats :jjyay:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Forget about the elections, there's a #DogsAtPollingStations hashtag on Twitter. 

tumblr_mgh6zbIu3B1s1a62oo1_500.gif

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Nationalists are as Nationalist does (or something)

"Leader of Scottish Tories claims 'burly blokes' are blocking voters at polling station as police warn of 'threatening behaviour' by Nationalists"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3071622/Fears-voting-Scotland-disrupted-intimidating-SNP-supporters-plan-arrive-late-follow-counting-staff-police-issue-warnings-polling-stations.html

When I went up to mine there was an old man and a female snp woman standing outside.

Didn't go in. Was terrified for my safety.

Gorgiewave

When I went up to mine there was an old man and a female snp woman standing outside.

Didn't go in. Was terrified for my safety.

A female woman? Only a Nat...

Malinga the Swinga

Done and the playoff popcorn to be consumed tonight/tomorrow as you all go for each others throats :jjyay:

No point in being at each other's throats.

I want Conservative win, but won't get it. Will see them win most seats overall but they won't get a majority. That is their fault for not being good enough in polls. Labour supporters want the same but they may get PM with SNP support. If Conservatives are so bad, then shouldn't they have done enough themselves, but again, that is their own fault.

SNP will get all/nearly all seats in Scotland and we shall see what that gets them overall.

In any event, I and nearly all others on here will carry on tomorrow morning with my own life, make the best of whatever happens and support us next year in the top league. Will there be massive changes, maybe, but I doubt it.

Don Draper

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

Seymour M Hersh

Of course you wouldn't

Thing is Doc most politicians fall under the bits in bold. 

He was 1/7 with hills, don't think he will need much luck. Mental when you think labour had a majority of 10000 or so at the last general election

Boy is a tit hope he doesn't win. I couldn't vote tactically. Boost for the national vote number only....

4 Labour bods were canvassing right outside my polling station, had to get the presiding officer to move them on.

50 metre rule, ya plums.

:jjyay:

*edit* they had one of those wee ***** bulldog things with them. Shite scared I was :sob:

Edited by Cade

Getintaethem

Politics eh. All a bit depressing really. It's suppose to be a chance to debate policies and find a clear way forward for the future generations of this country. In reality it generally turns into a childish bun fight, with petty name calling and tantrums galore. The behaviour of elected MP's in the House of Commons is a disgrace, it's like watching an unruly primary school class where the children have been fed way too many E additives. Perfect examples of what I'm describing can be found throughout this thread. No wonder there is so much apathy towards our current political system.

Boy is a tit hope he doesn't win. I couldn't vote tactically. Boost for the national vote number only....

Very much this. Being torn to pieces on whatsapp for it though. "I would rather shag a blender full of broken glass than have the stain on my soul of voting tory" ffs

jambo1185

Ditto. In the end i couldn't vote for Sheridan, he's a massive left winger and I'll be unhappy whether its Labour or SNP. So went with my gut and then straight home to join my party of choice. Time to start doing more than debating on kickback.

Toxteth O'Grady

Forget about the elections, there's a #DogsAtPollingStations hashtag on Twitter. 

Took my dog into the polling station.

Ditto. In the end i couldn't vote for Sheridan, he's a massive left winger and I'll be unhappy whether its Labour or SNP. So went with my gut and then straight home to join my party of choice. Time to start doing more than debating on kickback.

c'mon Gavin