The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

That would be an interesting list if Labour could lay claim to them all. They can't.

I was talking of broken promises. There was another arbitrary link posted, without any objectivity. Just the same old 'SNP bad'. Happy to admit that SNP have missed some targets and need to improve in certain areas.

FYI - Quick google search and I found 101 broken promises by the Tories and a similar amount by Labour.

Time to back out, will return at 10pm tomorrow night with an 18yr malt and a Cuban to witness scottish history in the making.

Envy your election plans. I'm away with work in England at a training do. Will miss it. Might not get back into Scotland if it goes as some predict.... Sorry the Independent Peoples Republic of Salmondstan...

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every time it read on here about how great the Labour Party are, it's like reading a history lesson, history was yesterday not today. I hope they fail miserably tomorrow to make them rethink policy and rid themselves of the murphys & mcternan's of this world. The chat of them breaking from London labour will be down to the people who have abandoned them in indyref and this & next years Holyrood election. I do believe that's called change.

Best I can do team unionist.

I like the SNP plan. Vote SNP because Labour are past it. But we will always support a Labour government in London...

Out of interest, if the party splits from the UK party (London Labour is the party which sits in the Greater London Assembly, which i know isn't what you mean but anyway...) and its an independent party, who do you think they'll perpetually saddle up with in Westminster? Do you not think policy similarities will be the extremely close? Do you not think they will still be a party which supports the union? And if that's all yes, and they still believe in UK wide social solidarity, then why break up the party?

More autonomy is key, but why do we need to make parties nationally distinct? Can a Welshman not offer Scots a political vision they agree with? Can an English woman? Can a Scot the other way around? To me they can and should.

Your post speaks more to nationalism and viewing politics nationalistically than anything else. In effect, only Scots understand Scots. Only Scots should vote for Scots party's.

Here's another one for you, why, if Labour are so bad, offering so little, did the SNP manifesto copy swathes of their policies which they had opposed only a few months before that point and then proceed to say only Labour was the party they could deal with?

Is it maybe just down to the SNP not being a left wing alternative at all, but stuck in the same post-neo-liberal rut like the rest and are really offering little substantial change and not much in the way of genuine wealth redistribution.

I've made my mind up. Want Labout, vote Labour. You've made yours. We won't change our minds. But to me the SNP are playing a smart game which won't really help them, hard pressed voters or Scotland.

Edited by JamboX2

I still haven't decided yet. I'm really torn. I want to support the party that i believe in but they wont win in my constituency (Midlothian). Looks like it will be labour or SNP. I can vote against my heart.

Malinga the Swinga

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-hopeful-sends-bizarre-email-5647089

:rofl:

Another SNP candidate showing what a plonker he is.

He'll likely be one of our MPs shortly. :lol:

Ah Scotland - it makes you so proud

How dare you question one of Nicola's chosen people. They are beyond criticism and even suggesting that Nicolson has stepped over the line in running to the Lib Dems boss asking for her to be allocated extra work because she dared to disagree with him, shows you are wrong and he is right. Who knows how these clowns will represent us, but then again, as they all vote as one, don't see need for them all to go to Westminster anyway, just send one a week and they can cast block vote.

Malinga the Swinga

Uh oh, take it your one of they guys who goes about slagging the parties that you're not voting for. Fandan alert!!!!!!

nope, he is highlighting the case of an SNP sexist bully trying to force down a female opponent of a different party through desperate means. Don't think that makes him a fandang, rather a literate member of the Scottish electorate.

TheMaganator

Uh oh, take it your one of they guys who goes about slagging the parties that you're not voting for. Fandan alert!!!!!!

Reported for personal abuse

TheMaganator

nope, he is highlighting the case of an SNP sexist bully trying to force down a female opponent of a different party through desperate means. Don't think that makes him a fandang, rather a literate member of the Scottish electorate.

Cheers MTS :thumbsup:

Robbie Neilson

Do we make predictions?

I think the Conservative's will win an overall majority, maybe not by much, but enough

Greens get 2. UKIP get 0. SNP get 40+

Lib Dems near wiped out

Labour absolutely battered. Not just in Scotland, but all over

And how will you be doing that?

Ed, do you want to be the PM, no probs sign here.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Do we make predictions?

I think the Conservative's will win an overall majority, maybe not by much, but enough

Lib Dems near wiped out

Tories largest party, can't form a coalition, Miliband takes office, can't get a Budget passed due to SNP voting against it, second election.

Guest Trapper John

Gentlemen all, 

I give you the night  before the day when the electorate of Scotland, if the polls are correct, smiles both blithely and resolutely all the way to the ballot box as it then cuts it's own collective throat under the false banner of 'change' wielded by the greatest ever parcel of rogues of a nation in its history: The SNP.

Regards,

Trapper John McIntyre.

Robbie Neilson

Tories largest party, can't form a coalition, Miliband takes office, can't get a Budget passed due to SNP voting against it, second election.

Really really hope not! Couldn't handle another election campaign! And the though of Ed Balls as Chancellor is genuinely a terrifying thought

:facepalm: ive heard aboot ur predictions GK. :D

Prediction time?

I'm going in Scotland:

Labour 21

SNP 34

Tory 1 (Mundell)

LibDems 3 (Kennedy, Moore and Carmichael)

Biggest head to roll: Jim Murphy

Skin of their teeth survivor: Douglas Alexander

Predictable win: Salmond

UK result:

Tories to have more seats than Labour but no ability to gain the support of the house to a majority. A week of Cameron squatting and Miliband to run a minority government.

Ed, do you want to be the PM, no probs sign here.

Going to be difficult when the tories win the most seats.

I think the Conservatives will have the most seats. Libdems wont join coalition maybe vote by vote deal limp for a bit labour will get a chance limp a bit election in 2 years.

Malinga the Swinga

Do we make predictions?

Lib Dems near wiped out

Much as I would like you to be right, I go for

Conservatives 280 - 285

Labour - 260

SNP - 48

Lib Dem - 16

Others making up the difference.

Who then makes govt is a difficult one as tradition dictates Cons, as party with most seats goes first to try and get support for government but with the bunch of politicians we have now, who knows what will happen.

To think when Kinnock was in charge of Labour, I voted for him and was really disappointed when he lost. Remember him denouncing Derek Hatton and thinking, great, a Labour leader who is tough, will defend the country and stand for his beliefs. Then we had Blair, and now we have Milliband. What a let down. Think I jumped from Labour around Blair time; he just turned my stomach and along with Prescott, in my opinion, served to be the two most hypocritical politicians this country has ever seen.

Psychedelicropcircle

I like the SNP plan. Vote SNP because Labour are past it. But we will always support a Labour government in London...

Out of interest, if the party splits from the UK party (London Labour is the party which sits in the Greater London Assembly, which i know isn't what you mean but anyway...) and its an independent party, who do you think they'll perpetually saddle up with in Westminster? Do you not think policy similarities will be the extremely close? Do you not think they will still be a party which supports the union? And if that's all yes, and they still believe in UK wide social solidarity, then why break up the party?

More autonomy is key, but why do we need to make parties nationally distinct? Can a Welshman not offer Scots a political vision they agree with? Can an English woman? Can a Scot the other way around? To me they can and should.

Your post speaks more to nationalism and viewing politics nationalistically than anything else. In effect, only Scots understand Scots. Only Scots should vote for Scots party's.

Here's another one for you, why, if Labour are so bad, offering so little, did the SNP manifesto copy swathes of their policies which they had opposed only a few months before that point and then proceed to say only Labour was the party they could deal with?

Is it maybe just down to the SNP not being a left wing alternative at all, but stuck in the same post-neo-liberal rut like the rest and are really offering little substantial change and not much in the way of genuine wealth redistribution.

I've made my mind up. Want Labout, vote Labour. You've made yours. We won't change our minds. But to me the SNP are playing a smart game which won't really help them, hard pressed voters or Scotland.

The difference between us is you trust labour I don't. I think backed by the SNP they'll have to deliver more powers for Scotland, if it had been 40 odd scottish labour candidates elected they'd just bow like the branch office they are. On the party being independent of London labour they'd need to bargain better for votes making them more representative of scottish voters. They'd have to prove they were not a branch office. This fantasy of I'll write a majority labour queens speech is just that fantasy. It may also help if you viewed the country no longer wants a two party political system.

Going to be difficult when the tories win the most seats.

And, 326 is the magic number.

Malinga the Swinga

I think the Conservatives will have the most seats. Libdems wont join coalition maybe vote by vote deal limp for a bit labour will get a chance limp a bit election in 2 years.

I think the Lib Dems would join a coalition but they won't have enough to get working majority. Clegg and the Lib Dems have had a taste of power and would do anything to keep it.

Malinga the Swinga

Really really hope not! Couldn't handle another election campaign! And the though of Ed Balls as Chancellor is genuinely a terrifying thought

the thought of Ed Balls just existing is a terrifying thought, and when you add in Balls 2 (Yvette Cooper), it really is nightmare time.

Mind Mr and Mrs Sturgeon running Scotland is equally as bad.

Geoff Kilpatrick

And, 326 is the magic number.

323 since the Shinners won't turn up.

Gorgiewave

Prediction time?

I'm going in Scotland:

Labour 21

SNP 34

Tory 1 (Mundell)

LibDems 3 (Kennedy, Moore and Carmichael)

Biggest head to roll: Jim Murphy

Skin of their teeth survivor: Douglas Alexander

Predictable win: Salmond

UK result:

Tories to have more seats than Labour but no ability to gain the support of the house to a majority. A week of Cameron squatting and Miliband to run a minority government.

21 for Labour? I'd love that at this stage but that seems far too high.

50 for the SNP, 1 Conservative, 1 Liberal Democrat, 7 Labour.

Douglas Alexander, Ian Murray and Jim Murphy all to survive.

Christine Jardine to be unlucky. I'd think I'll personally go and kiss her on both cheeks if she keeps Eck the Thug out.

UK: Ed Miliband in a minority government in coalition with the Liberal Democrats. SDLP and/or Alliance also welcome.

Gorgiewave

323 since the Shinners won't turn up.

Is there much movement between the SDLP and any Unionist party or vice versa?

The difference between us is you trust labour I don't. I think backed by the SNP they'll have to deliver more powers for Scotland, if it had been 40 odd scottish labour candidates elected they'd just bow like the branch office they are. On the party being independent of London labour they'd need to bargain better for votes making them more representative of scottish voters. They'd have to prove they were not a branch office. This fantasy of I'll write a majority labour queens speech is just that fantasy. It may also help if you viewed the country no longer wants a two party political system.

More power isn't necessarily for the benefit of people though. Corporation tax battles between Scotland and England could do harm to wages, workers rights and benefits, for example.

I don't buy the branch party stuff. The track record in office in Scotland shows that up.

And I don't think a two party system works at all. Read my earlier posts on here, all for PR. STV preferably.

SNP 52 seats , Labour bite their hand off.

Ed in and austerity cuts booted and 0.5% spending spree

Cameron resigns , Boris in

No need to wait

:)

Malinga the Swinga

More power isn't necessarily for the benefit of people though. Corporation tax battles between Scotland and England could do harm to wages, workers rights and benefits, for example.

I don't buy the branch party stuff. The track record in office in Scotland shows that up.

And I don't think a two party system works at all. Read my earlier posts on here, all for PR. STV preferably.

STV with a drastically reduced number of MP's overall. Far too many of them in the big cities, Birmingham & Glasgow as two major examples. Need a separate assembly for England as well, hopefully leading to a more federal system, but that will be difficult to achieve.

Malinga the Swinga

SNP 52 seats , Labour bite their hand off.

Ed in and austerity cuts booted and 0.5% spending spree

Cameron resigns , Boris in

No need to wait

:)

If this happens, will the SNP then take the action to get rid of the food banks that they have allowed to become prevalent in Scotland whilst it suited their political aims, or do they let them exist until we have another referendum and they can then be used as a political weapon again.

STV with a drastically reduced number of MP's overall. Far too many of them in the big cities, Birmingham & Glasgow as two major examples. Need a separate assembly for England as well, hopefully leading to a more federal system, but that will be difficult to achieve.

electoral change isnt going to happen. Nobody wants it. Referendum failed. LD vote sown 50%

Leipzig 51

21 for Labour? I'd love that at this stage but that seems far too high.

50 for the SNP, 1 Conservative, 1 Liberal Democrat, 7 Labour.

Douglas Alexander, Ian Murray and Jim Murphy all to survive.

Christine Jardine to be unlucky. I'd think I'll personally go and kiss her on both cheeks if she keeps Eck the Thug out.

UK: Ed Miliband in a minority government in coalition with the Liberal Democrats. SDLP and/or Alliance also welcome.

Alexander = Toast

Miliband's decision will be take it or leave it. 

He'll take it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Is there much movement between the SDLP and any Unionist party or vice versa?

Nope.

Only seat to watch in NI is Fermanagh / S Tyrone. If it is won by a Unionist then that could boost Cameron.

Malinga the Swinga

electoral change isnt going to happen. Nobody wants it. Referendum failed. LD vote sown 50%

I want it though, and if we can have a referendum on independence again, why not one on electoral change. I do agree though, can't see it happening but still think it is what is required.

Jambos_1874

Random question, do UK elections have international observers monitoring the whole electoral process, voting etc? Or, is this only in countries where there is concern about the fairness and transparency of the election?

I want it though, and if we can have a referendum on independence again, why not one on electoral change. I do agree though, can't see it happening but still think it is what is required.

I want it to. Also federalism but we are in a very small minority.

Lots of people want it. And the fact that a bunch of foreigners are about to land a large haul of seats from the crappy FPTP system is giving Middle England food for thought as never before. While there's every reason for Labour to fear electoral reform, I'm not quite sure that the Tories would have as much to lose. They'd certainly have much to gain in Scotland from some sort of PR.

The option rejected at the referendum was a rubbish voting system. I don't think that said anything about the general public's appetite for reform.

Edited by leginten

TheMaganator

Random question, do UK elections have international observers monitoring the whole electoral process, voting etc? Or, is this only in countries where there is concern about the fairness and transparency of the election?

I don't think so. The only people that think that would be required are the guys with 45 in their Facebook profiles - best ignored

Malinga the Swinga

I want it to. Also federalism but we are in a very small minority.

right, how do we form a party and who gets to be in charge of deciding its policies? I suggest you can be leader, do the talking and organising and I will sit back and contribute very little in effort whilst taking a bigger share than should be allowed of any good publicity we get. Sound fair?

jambo1185

Labour up two points in latest Scottish poll. Looks to be a tactical shift from Tories who are down one. SNP also down one.

Enough to save Murphy?

Edited by jambo1185

Anyone know roughly what time first results will start coming in on Friday morning?

Craig Gordons Gloves

Yes, Scotland does make me proud. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

TheMaganator

Says he drinking bud light in the colonies with a bit of Frankie Millar on the wireless? :)