The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

doctor jambo

William must not be offended. :)

Christopher McEleny, leader of the SNP opposition on Inverclyde Council, came under fire from Rangers fans after he announced on Twitter that Morton had become "the second most successful team in Scottish league football with only Celtic having won more league titles than us".

He was celebrating Morton being crowned Scottish League One champions as they recorded a 3-1 victory over Peterhead.

When challenged that Rangers had won more, he responded: "Only won two."

He later said to one fan: "Not taking anything away from you, mate you've did well to get to the Championship in your first two season."

The row comes after football supporters had launched a campaign calling for Brendan O'Hara to stand down as the SNP's candidate for Argyll and Bute after using the word 'h**' about Rangers fans on a Celtic forum.

Morton's title win means the Greenock side have won ten championships across the Scottish divisions. They have never been champions in the top tier of Scottish football.

The comments provoked a fresh row over claims the Rangers are now a totally different club after the oldco's liquidation in 2012.

One tweeter said McEleny was "the latest SNP figure to have a pop at Rangers".

Another said: "What a detestable person. You sure know how to make voters hate the SNP."

When the council leader was asked why he was deleting tweets, he responded: "Just the ones that have attracted bigoted insults at me."

The accusation was denied by Rangers fans who challenged him over his remarks.

Rangers fans group Vanguard Bears has criticised the SNP over the weekend for taking no action over Mr O'Hara's use of the word 'h**' in 2007 and 2008.

The SNP said Mr O'Hara apologised for any offence caused by the use of the word but had no intention of stepping down.

Vanguard Bears said: "Still no action from the SNP - a clear endorsement of bigotry from Scotland's so-called anti sectarian party."

More than 2700 have supported an online petition which calls on SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon to take action over Mr O'Hara.

It was previously revealed that a campaign supported by the Rangers fans board has already been lobbying the First Minister to make the use of the word 'h**' illegal following the online abuse of pop singer Amy Macdonald.

The campaigners say 'h**' is a term of "religious hatred, a derogatory and sectarian term for a Protestant".

The campaigners say those using the phrase should be treated no differently than those who use offensive words to describe Catholics.

Mr McEleny later posted a photograb on his Twitter feed from a Rangers fans forum where one poster said: "Some kh**** will do anything to get the catholic vote. You know what to do Bears when it comes to the elections."

Another said: "I've been saying it since the Referendum - the SNP are fascist scum."

Who would have thought it eh

A football team making themselves out to be the voice of a religion

Whilst a political party make themselves out to be the voice of a nation

Both making a complete James HUnt of themselves on social media

Whilst the silent majority look on them both with a degree of embarrassment- deluded fools all

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh the pain, its gonnae be glorious on here come thursday/Friday.

Can feel it the noo.

Edited by aussieh

doctor jambo

Can feel it the noo.

Better make sure you're a "sit down wiper" then.

I've a feeling your sphincter will give entirely when the results are out

Better make sure you're a "sit down wiper" then.

I've a feeling your sphincter will give entirely when the results are out

Dont think so, and you know it.

Aff your knees.

jambo1185

Why would anyone feel pain about something they've known is coming for months? If I was Labour I'd suck it up and already be working out how to turn things around starting with Holyrood next year, no point bleating on about it, the point has been made, and you need to find a way to move forward.

And Boris if she didn't know she shouldn't have said she was 'setting the record straight', because either she wasn't telling the truth, or she was in no position to comment and couldn't actually 'set the record straight' as she didn't know the facts, in which case she's being at best disingenuous.

But your general point as to how important this point actually is, of course, stands.

Edited by jambo1185

TheMaganator

Can feel it the noo.

Doesn't matter how often you say it - it wont make it true. 

Everyone knows and has accepted the nationalists will take 45+ seats. There'll be no pain, just shame. 

deesidejambo

Can feel it the noo.

Ok we may as well get the GIRFUY criteria sorted in advance.

How many SNP seats are needed for you to celebrate a glorious victory?  >50?   

From my side I will be unbearable when Anne Begg punts that SNP git oot the door.  And if Eck get spurted by tactical Tory voters, the nob and G&T photos will be delivered.

Don Draper

He later said to one fan: "Not taking anything away from you, mate you've did well to get to the Championship in your first two season."

This offends me more than anything else.

How many SNP seats are needed for you to celebrate a glorious victory? >50?

From my side I will be unbearable when Anne Begg punts that SNP git oot the door. And if Eck get spurted by tactical Tory voters, the nob and G&T photos will be delivered.

:D

Guest Trapper John

I have no seethe and rage at them TJ I've said to you before about taking things personally or thinking that I'm somehow spitting tacks at my phone screen typing these posts. I just think labour are ridiculous these days and quite enjoy giving them a bit of a shoeing.

You and your sidekick tend to get a bit hysterical from time to time about the SNP so Im merely trying to provide some balance.

It's all good here though mate thanks for asking[emoji106]

Thanks for bringing some balance to the thread by blaming labour for Paeodphilia in Rotherham.

The Mighty Thor

Mags, it was the other parties that started this pish about legitimacy about the SNP, so stop greetin when it comes back your way.

Same with Labour when it comes to the democratic deficit, their baby has grown up and kicked them straight in the baws.

Quite succinctly put.

The constant cry of 'get over it' re the referendum when in fact the SNP have got on with it and will deliver a pretty strong message of having got over it by returning what looks like being a large number of MP's on Thursday to the UK parliament.

The only people banging on about the referendum are the 3 main better together parties. Why? Because they thought that defeat in September 14 was the death of the SNP. How did that work out for you boys? :smugger:

jack D and coke

Thanks for bringing some balance to the thread by blaming labour for Paeodphilia in Rotherham.

Who's blaming them for paedophilia?

They done absolutely **** all about it so as not to upset their Muslim vote and keep themselves in council was my point.

You like to suggest the nats are a nasty lot and everybody who votes for them is some sort of nazi yet here we have evidence that labour have turned a blind eye for 16 years and hundreds and hundreds of child rapes all to protect their seats.

Your some cookie.

doctor jambo

Quite succinctly put.

The constant cry of 'get over it' re the referendum when in fact the SNP have got on with it and will deliver a pretty strong message of having got over it by returning what looks like being a large number of MP's on Thursday to the UK parliament.

The only people banging on about the referendum are the 3 main better together parties. Why? Because they thought that defeat in September 14 was the death of the SNP. How did that work out for you boys? :smugger:

Oddly well

The SNP are utterly unrecognisable from what they were

Changed leader, changed policies

Quite right wing, co-operative, non wealth redistributive policies and keen on working within Westminster

Same as all the other feckers then :wings:

Why would anyone feel pain about something they've known is coming for months? If I was Labour I'd suck it up and already be working out how to turn things around starting with Holyrood next year, no point bleating on about it, the point has been made, and you need to find a way to move forward.

The way to do it is appoint one of their ex-Westminster "big hitters" as leader.

Oh wait...

jambo1185

The way to do it is appoint one of their ex-Westminster "big hitters" as leader.

Oh wait...

Haha, Dougie Alexander will be free come Friday I suppose.

The Mighty Thor

Oddly well

The SNP are utterly unrecognisable from what they were

Changed leader, changed policies

Quite right wing, co-operative, non wealth redistributive policies and keen on working within Westminster

Same as all the other feckers then :wings:

Doc i don't disagree with a lot of that at all.

The wealth re-distribution thing is an absolute red herring as none of the parties offer a meaningful programme on that score.

Same as all the others? I'd like to think of it more that the SNP have realised that the way to play the game is to play it from within rather than shouting off from afar. I'm quite sure none of the 'big 3' saw the unintended consequence of a no vote being an increase in membership and engagement of the SNP. It's going to bite them all on the ass, none more-so than the absolute impostors purporting to be the 'people's party'.

How many SNP seats are needed for you to celebrate a glorious victory?  >50?   

From my side I will be unbearable when Anne Begg punts that SNP git oot the door.  And if Eck get spurted by tactical Tory voters, the nob and G&T photos will be delivered.

I asked your question in a post yesterday. What constitutes success for the SNP, and where is the line for SNP disappointment/Labour relief?

50 seats isn't happening, or anything like it. I think 40 would be a very good haul indeed.

jambo1185

Second SNP member suspended following yesterdays protest in Glasgow according to the BBC.

The MSP Mag quoted has had to delete her tweet, unsurprisingly.

Edited by jambo1185

TheMaganator

Who do people think should be the next leader of Scottish Labour? Assuming Murphy loses his seat - who do people think could turn around their fortunes up here?

Jobby Brown is well respected in many labour circles (as I understand it). Could he win back some of the soft/protest nats?

Who else is there? I like Dugdale but she isn't very inspiring. Marra comes across as decent but she isn't a big hitter. 

Guest Trapper John

Who's blaming them for paedophilia?

They done absolutely **** all about it so as not to upset their Muslim vote and keep themselves in council was my point.

You like to suggest the nats are a nasty lot and everybody who votes for them is some sort of nazi yet here we have evidence that labour have turned a blind eye for 16 years and hundreds and hundreds of child rapes all to protect their seats.

Your some cookie.

You're some cookie, too mate.

Who or what DO you believe in? You were a Yes voter, then after the referendum, you said you were glad No won.

Do you believe the SNP represent some better way of doing things or not? It appears no form of human endeavour/ political movement  deserves your support unless it achieves your exceedingly high and sadly unattainable standards.  Or are you just happy to find fault with everything and nod sorrowfully at the wickedeness of the world in general whilst going along 'semi-reluctantly' with the fashionable trend of the moment?

At least the SNP guys have taken a side. Good for them, even though I oppose them vehemently.

Can't work you out, brother.

Second SNP member suspended following yesterdays protest in Glasgow according to the BBC.

Good. Heckling is one thing, behaving like a total fud is quite another. Those arseholes will have cost the SNP seats.

TheMaganator

I asked your question in a post yesterday. What constitutes success for the SNP, and where is the line for SNP disappointment/Labour relief?

50 seats isn't happening, or anything like it. I think 40 would be a very good haul indeed.

It is about perception. I reckon anything less than 50 and the media will talk about how the SNP lost so many seats when they were polling to win them all. 

I think 45 and above would be a good day at the office for them. 

I don't buy the 'anymore than 6 is a win' line. That's shite. Given where they are polling they need to win big for the story not to be about a clawback. The media has had its feed about labour losing so many already

On the legitimacy thing, it was Cameron who started it all, saying that having a Scottish party in a coalition would be illegitimate (not sure how he figured that one out but anyway).

He then said that if Labour make a majority coalition but aren't the largest single party then that would also be illegitimate (again, he seems not to understand how Westminster works)

Sturgeon then threw that back in his face saying that if the Tories remain in power due to purely English votes, by his own logic it'd be illegitimate.

On the legitimacy thing, it was Cameron who started it all, saying that having a Scottish party in a coalition would be illegitimate (not sure how he figured that one out but anyway).

He then said that if Labour make a majority coalition but aren't the largest single party then that would also be illegitimate (again, he seems not to understand how Westminster works)

Sturgeon then threw that back in his face saying that if the Tories remain in power due to purely English votes, by his own logic it'd be illegitimate.

Was it not more to do with the scottish party's sole purpose is to destroy the Union

It is about perception. I reckon anything less than 50 and the media will talk about how the SNP lost so many seats when they were polling to win them all. 

I think 45 and above would be a good day at the office for them. 

I don't buy the 'anymore than 6 is a win' line. That's shite. Given where they are polling they need to win big for the story not to be about a clawback. The media has had its feed about labour losing so many already

Probably about right.

TheMaganator

If he did say that it is utter horse-shite. Do you have a link?

deesidejambo

Does anyone have a summary of the rules on counting the postal votes?  Are they counted in advance?

TheMaganator

Does anyone have a summary of the rules on counting the postal votes?  Are they counted in advance?

I think they are, yes. Then the ones for the SNP are put in the bin. 

deesidejambo

So do party workers, who have the right to oversee the count, get to see the postal votes, and can they report back to HQ?

jack D and coke

You're some cookie, too mate.

Who or what DO you believe in? You were a Yes voter, then after the referendum, you said you were glad No won.

Do you believe the SNP represent some better way of doing things or not? It appears no form of human endeavour/ political movement deserves your support unless it achieves your exceedingly high and sadly unattainable standards. Or are you just happy to find fault with everything and nod sorrowfully at the wickedeness of the world in general whilst going along 'semi-reluctantly' with the fashionable trend of the moment?

At least the SNP guys have taken a side. Good for them, even though I oppose them vehemently.

Can't work you out, brother.

I don't believe in any political party that's for sure. For every one of their policies I might like there's two I don't and I'm not poor and I'm not rich so I'm the man in the middle who gets screwed regardless. I've voted for both the main parties and Yes in Indy ref and I've thought about the SNP this time but again in a few areas i can't get fully behind them. I wouldn't be happy if they called another referendum and I'm not behind their trident policy. All the constant Tory bashing does my brains in too. I can't stand this type of politics, voting whoever you want should not be demonised.

So tbh my biggest problem is people who try to make out one party or their beliefs are terrible whilst the other ones aren't or that look at how bad this is while turning a blind eye to their own scandals. It's like some Hearts fans trying to say all the melts are in the hibs support when we have every bit as many in our own.

If everybody was like me political parties would have to sharpen themselves up instead of relying on zombie votes regardless of their actions. I just think people need to examine their choices much more and stop blindly following one particular party and hating somebody else because they're a Tory/labour voter or a yes voter or whatever it's absolutely harrowing stuff.

The Mighty Thor

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/319462-gordon-brown-makes-plea-for-scots-voters-to-come-to-labour/

Brown making a plea for people to come back to labour. His intervention in the referendum was superb. I havent had the chance to listen to this yet though. 

How apt on a page littered with questions on legitimacy we have the soon to be departed gentleman who ran the UK into the deck busking for votes for his party. 

He should have offered a vow. (of silence)

25 labour, 30 SNP

Guest Trapper John

25 labour, 30 SNP

That would be nice. Possibly enough to put Ed into No 10, propped up by Clegg and the SNP in Nowhereland.

deesidejambo

How apt on a page littered with questions on legitimacy we have the soon to be departed gentleman who ran the UK into the deck busking for votes for his party. 

Just watched it.   He certainly doesn't lack emotion so it will resonate to those who are Labour at heart.   Talked pish on zero-hours contracts though.  it will be interesting to see how the TV covers this.

deesidejambo

25 labour, 30 SNP

OK 30 it is - any more and you can work it up me.      Any less, and its GIRFUY time comin your way.   C'mon Annie!!!

TheMaganator

He was a shite PM so he should keep quiet?

doctor jambo

25 labour, 30 SNP

That would be electoral failure of epic proportions

SNP in the wilderness

That would be nice. Possibly enough to put Ed into No 10, propped up by Clegg and the SNP in Nowhereland.

Eff the SNP, but that principledless knob-rash is fine.

SNP in the wilderness

But itll be 51, just being polite.

Malinga the Swinga

Accepting the fact that there are many posters who want totally different outcomes following the election on Thursday, this post has also highlighted two of the most obnoxious posters who I have ever had the misfortune to encounter on JKB. Don't know if they are purely trolling or whether they really believe what they post, but at least come Saturday, allowing whoever wins to set up coalition, don't think anyone will have majority, this thread will be put to rest and I have not seen them post on anything other than this and one or two other threads, mostly non football related.

Would ignore them but people quote their posts, normally in shock or anger, so no real point (much like their posts).

Good luck to all on Thursday and hopefully a return to what passes for normality on here.

deesidejambo

SNP in the wilderness

That doesn't matter.  What matters is I will be GIRFUYing aussie.  I've got the booze in, and the bloke I'm watching the count with announced yesterday he is off the booze for medical reasons, so I will have to drink it all myself.  A slab of Pironi, Gin is cooling in the fridge, and a bottle of Ardbeg to go down.   Party on.

Thunderstruck

Not yet counted - only opened and identifiers are verified (along with audit of numbers received against accepted or rejected). Sometimes, during that process, the voter's selection is seen. No harm in seeing but illegal to tally and tell anyone (as Ruth D found out).

If you are incredibly bored and want to read about it, here is the procedure for the Referendum.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/emb/downloads/file/173/postal_vote_opening_procedure

That doesn't matter. What matters is I will be GIRFUYing aussie. I've got the booze in, and the bloke I'm watching the count with announced yesterday he is off the booze for medical reasons, so I will have to drink it all myself. A slab of Pironi, Gin is cooling in the fridge, and a bottle of Ardbeg to go down. Party on.

aww, thatll need to go in the same place where I put my indy champers. :). Slab are gettin pumped.

Thunderstruck

SNP in the wilderness

Indeed, I would be expecting someone to fall on her sword.

deesidejambo

Accepting the fact that there are many posters who want totally different outcomes following the election on Thursday, this post has also highlighted two of the most obnoxious posters who I have ever had the misfortune to encounter on JKB. Don't know if they are purely trolling or whether they really believe what they post, but at least come Saturday, allowing whoever wins to set up coalition, don't think anyone will have majority, this thread will be put to rest and I have not seen them post on anything other than this and one or two other threads, mostly non football related.

Would ignore them but people quote their posts, normally in shock or anger, so no real point (much like their posts).

Good luck to all on Thursday and hopefully a return to what passes for normality on here.

I'm guessing I may be a candidate for your Ignore list.     Free speech comes at a cost - that cost is you may not like what you hear.   But that is no reason to take things to heart.   Google Voltaire, at least I think it was him.

deesidejambo

aww, thatll need to go in the same place where I put my indy champers. :). Slab are gettin pumped.

Champers?  You Tory you.   I told you about the silent Tories but I didn't know you were one of them.     

Indeed, I would be expecting someone to fall on her sword.

5x2010 seats. :D dreaming

Guest Trapper John

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/319462-gordon-brown-makes-plea-for-scots-voters-to-come-to-labour/

Brown making a plea for people to come back to labour. His intervention in the referendum was superb. I havent had the chance to listen to this yet though. 

Terrific stuff from the Old Clunking Fist there.

Terrible PM. Great Speaker.