• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a boring election. I'm trying to think what issues are up for debate.

I've got.

- The SNP making the nebulous, essentially meaningless claim to stand up for scotland

- The lib dems, errrm, looking to form a coalition but i've never caught any of their policies.

- Labour offering naff all difference to the tories but not wanting to offend england, so downplaying the democratic will of scotland.

- The tories hammering us with their "the economy is alright, kinda" line and playing to an anti-EU/immigration crowd

Is there actually a debate, or have i just missed it. Despite the high levels of political engagement, i can't see what discussion there actually is. I can only express my disdain for these leader's debates as they offer nothing in the way of policy and just reduce everything to soundbyte and personality. We're all blair's children.

This has probably already been covered in this mega thread but I think this General Election will bring about the want for a different electoral system.

Judging by election forecast website, the SNP are on for getting 51 seats with only 3.8% of the vote. 

3.8% of the vote in Scotland ?

Or are you saying Scotland has too many seats ?

Edited by luckydug

This has probably already been covered in this mega thread but I think this General Election will bring about the want for a different electoral system.

Judging by election forecast website, the SNP are on for getting 51 seats with only 3.8% of the vote.

that is strange, going by many on here, most scots want independence and the majority that voted against it are idiots.

i still dont get why unionists would now vote for SNP to cut off lab,cons there by giving the SNP another platform for seperation.

the gap between all the party's is minimal so voting SNP will change little as we will still have a split parliament

King prawn

3.8% of the vote in Scotland ?

Or are you saying Scotland has too many seats ?

3.8% of the overall vote 

I'm not saying Scotland has too many seats but whichever party you affiliate yourself with - is it not odd that the UK proclaims itself to be a democratic shining beam to others when we have a system which means that 3.8% of the vote can get fifty seats and 11% of the vote gets you one? 

King Of The Cat Cafe

Yes, I know, but just find it rich that a Labour supporter will denounce an SNP candidate trying to woo voters in the constituency they are fighting, when that Labour candidate may well win off the back of Tory votes.

Quite the wicked web woven.

When I was just a pup, my folks told me that 'the bogeyman' would get me if I did something or other wrong.

Seems the Tory party and Tory press are now making the SNP the 'bogeyman' - "vote Conservative or Labour and the SNP will get in and wreck your lovely little Middle England."

doctor jambo

John Swinney got the run around this morning for stating that the Tories were finished in Scotland and that the Conservatives had no mandate to govern Scotland.

It was thereafter pointed out that at the last GE there were 400,000 tory cotes cast up here- not dissimilar to the amount cast for the SNP, so for the last 5 years the Tories have had just as much of a mandate up here as the SNP.

Did not sit well

Would the SNP accept electoral reform if it meant an increase in the number of Conservative seats up here?

When I was just a pup, my folks told me that 'the bogeyman' would get me if I did something or other wrong.

Seems the Tory party and Tory press are now making the SNP the 'bogeyman' - "vote Conservative or Labour and the SNP will get in and wreck your lovely little Middle England."

some would say that the SNP have made themselves the bogeyman

King prawn

What a boring election. I'm trying to think what issues are up for debate.

I've got.

- The SNP making the nebulous, essentially meaningless claim to stand up for scotland

- The lib dems, errrm, looking to form a coalition but i've never caught any of their policies.

- Labour offering naff all difference to the tories but not wanting to offend england, so downplaying the democratic will of scotland.

- The tories hammering us with their "the economy is alright, kinda" line and playing to an anti-EU/immigration crowd

Is there actually a debate, or have i just missed it. Despite the high levels of political engagement, i can't see what discussion there actually is. I can only express my disdain for these leader's debates as they offer nothing in the way of policy and just reduce everything to soundbyte and personality. We're all blair's children.

You haven't missed anything and summed up the election that has been projected to us through the media in a nutshell. 

No leader will say anything concrete because the only thing they are judged on by the public is the way they say something, not what they say. 

If he'd stuck his face that close to me his nose would have been spread over his face.

Unless Jimbob has the biggest heid in human history, the angry man is directing his shouting at someone to the left and behind Murphy.

Perspective just makes it look like he's in his face.

Mr Brightside

3.8% of the overall vote

I'm not saying Scotland has too many seats but whichever party you affiliate yourself with - is it not odd that the UK proclaims itself to be a democratic shining beam to others when we have a system which means that 3.8% of the vote can get fifty seats and 11% of the vote gets you one?

Contrast that with UKIP which are polling at 14% and they are expected to get around 3 seats.

The polls suggest the SNP have done remarkably well to get a consistent level of 30% plus of the votes in each Scottish seat.

doctor jambo

After enduring a tortuous weekend subjected to awaiting the latest production from Kates gilded vagina,

I would have to say that if the SNP offered a Republic I would vote for them

jambo1185

Why do the SNP go on about legitimacy solely based on the 1 Tory MP elected in 2010. Didn't we have a coalition government including the Lib Dems, who had 11 seats across the country?

Doesn't seem too bad to me, Wales elected 11 Tory and Lib Dem MPs combined.

jambo1185

John Swinney got the run around this morning for stating that the Tories were finished in Scotland and that the Conservatives had no mandate to govern Scotland.

It was thereafter pointed out that at the last GE there were 400,000 tory cotes cast up here- not dissimilar to the amount cast for the SNP, so for the last 5 years the Tories have had just as much of a mandate up here as the SNP.

Did not sit well

Would the SNP accept electoral reform if it meant an increase in the number of Conservative seats up here?

DJ what was this on? I heard him briefly on the Today programme this morning but would be interested to see how this was dealt with, especially if you consider that 878,326 Scots voted for one of the coalition parties, roughly double what the SNP achieved (although of course the SNP will achieve substantially more than that this time around). 

The idea that the Tories and Lib Dems were "soundly rejected" by Scotland in 2010 is complete nonsense. It's just one of the quirks of the FPTP system that you end up being rewarded for having a small number of concentrated pockets of support as opposed to a general spread.

Edited by jambo1185

doctor jambo

DJ what was this on? I heard him briefly on the Today programme this morning but would be interested to see how this was dealt with, especially if you consider that 878,326 Scots voted for one of the coalition parties, roughly double what the SNP achieved (although of course the SNP will achieve substantially more than that this time around). 

The idea that the Tories and Lib Dems were "soundly rejected" by Scotland in 2010 is complete nonsense. It's just one of the quirks of the FPTP system that you end up being rewarded for having a small number of concentrated pockets of support as opposed to a general spread.

Radio Scotland this morning about 08.30.

there is a democratic deficit in Scotland- the Tories are the main losers from it, and it gived the impression that they are not supported here.

This is simply not the case

"they return 1 MP" true- but they have lots of voters ( sorry quislings) who, seemingly don't exist.

The SNp are already ignoring the democratic will of a large swathe of its people- whom, if you believed Nick, she would rather  feckin kill herself than negotiate at all in any way with the party they have voted for on any matter at all

That's how much she respects democracy and 400,000 of her own people

Radio Scotland this morning about 08.30.

there is a democratic deficit in Scotland- the Tories are the main losers from it, and it gived the impression that they are not supported here.

This is simply not the case

"they return 1 MP" true- but they have lots of voters ( sorry quislings) who, seemingly don't exist.

The SNp are already ignoring the democratic will of a large swathe of its people- whom, if you believed Nick, she would rather  feckin kill herself than negotiate at all in any way with the party they have voted for on any matter at all

That's how much she respects democracy and 400,000 of her own people

Agree with you regards democratic deficit and that the Tories are the main losers in Scotland (at Westminster elections - at Holyrood they get fairer representation).

Not really sure what you are getting at re ignoring the democratic will....by the same token, don't all governments do this when they win? 

Edited by Boris

The Mighty Thor

After enduring a tortuous weekend subjected to awaiting the latest production from Kates gilded vagina,

I would have to say that if the SNP offered a Republic I would vote for them

:lol:

doctor jambo

Agree with you regards democratic deficit and that the Tories are the main losers in Scotland (at Westminster elections - at Holyrood they get fairer representation).

Not really sure what you are getting at re ignoring the democratic will....by the same token, don't all governments do this when they win? 

The SNP represent themselves as somehow being the victims of a UK democratic deficit orchestrated by the tories et al, whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that in GE votes in Scotland they would return marginally more MP's than the Conservatives

jambo1185

Cheers DJ, just listened back.

FFS, we did not have a Conservative government in 2010 with 1 Scottish MP - we had coalition government represented by 12 Scottish MPs. I get his general point but at least make it accurately John.

jambo1185

Holy crap, the Green guy just accused IDS' welfare reforms of being directly responsible for 60 suicides and then admitted he had no evidence of his claim.

That's pretty low.

doctor jambo

Cheers DJ, just listened back.

FFS, we did not have a Conservative government in 2010 with 1 Scottish MP - we had coalition government represented by 12 Scottish MPs. I get his general point but at least make it accurately John.

Anything that comes out the cake hole of the man who freed the worlds longest surviving terminally ill man should be treated with disdain.

Early release for Scotlands worst ever mass killer on the grounds of vanity- to make himself look big internationally

Utter fud

Thunderstruck

If we are going to reform the election process, we should also address the democratic deficit at Holyrood where the party in power has 55% of seats with 45% of the vote.

doctor jambo

If we are going to reform the election process, we should also address the democratic deficit at Holyrood where the party in power has 55% of seats with 45% of the vote.

"45"- you can really go off a number can you not?

doctor jambo

Holy crap, the Green guy just accused IDS' welfare reforms of being directly responsible for 60 suicides and then admitted he had no evidence of his claim.

That's pretty low.

Only 60-  John Swinney laughs at those figures and lets you out to visit your family in compassionate Scotland.

>200 deaths or GTF

jambo1185

Have to say the Holyrood set-up doesn't bother me that much. I think it gets a decent balance although I don't fully understand how the list works and links in with the constituency vote results for that region.

King prawn

The democratic deficit is in part due to the decline of people's confidence in the democratic processes. The changes in the electoral process would have a chance to address the democratic deficit caused by the issue of proportionality with seats and votes. 

The democratic deficit is a result of other things - not something that can be changed itself. 

jack D and coke

Check out these incredibly bammed up, insane evil labour supporters who are clearly drugged to the eyeballs and out their brains abusing DC. Shocking, shocking stuff I've never seen such chaos in my life[emoji1]

https://vine.co/v/eZhzHHvIljv

Edited by jack D and coke

Poor old New Liebour,it's tough at the top.

Tom Harris.

Edited by Sidsnot

Only 60- John Swinney laughs at those figures and lets you out to visit your family in compassionate Scotland.

>200 deaths or GTF

Macaskill.

Did not sit well

One can understand where he's coming from,a solitary TORY in Scotland tells its own story,a dead duck.

jack D and coke

post-912-14308331087076_thumb.jpg

Can anybody imagine if this kind of thing had ever came out about the nats? Protecting their seats and turning a blind eye to this kind of thing?

Incredible.

TheMaganator

FFS. It could not be more simple.

On 18 September 2014 we voted to remain in the UK. That decision gave whatever party wins the GE mandate to govern the UK. There is no question of legitimacy. We gave it legitimacy last year.

I said above. This latest pathetic line is being used to give them the excuse they need to get a referendum on the manifesto for 2016. That is all this election has been about for them.

They are so painfully transparent. 

Mr Brightside

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430833517.100393.jpg

Can anybody imagine if this kind of thing had ever came out about the nats? Protecting their seats and turning a blind eye to this kind of thing?

Incredible.

Tongue firmly in cheek here.

The insinuation in that article is that left wing politicians are to blame. SNP state that they are further to the left and Labour are not left wing enough. Does that not mean using the Sun's logic that the situation would be worse if the SNP were in charge?

FFS. It could not be more simple.

On 18 September 2014 we voted to remain in the UK. That decision gave whatever party wins the GE mandate to govern the UK. There is no question of legitimacy. We gave it legitimacy last year.

I said above. This latest pathetic line is being used to give them the excuse they need to get a referendum on the manifesto for 2016. That is all this election has been about for them.

They are so painfully transparent.

Mags, it was the other parties that started this pish about legitimacy about the SNP, so stop greetin when it comes back your way.

Same with Labour when it comes to the democratic deficit, their baby has grown up and kicked them straight in the baws.

Edited by aussieh

jack D and coke

Tongue firmly in cheek here.

The insinuation in that article is that left wing politicians are to blame. SNP state that they are further to the left and Labour are not left wing enough. Does that not mean using the Sun's logic that the situation would be worse if the SNP were in charge?

[emoji1] the English sun defo mate.

I await the big labour supporters defence of this though. It won't come they'd rather perpetuate the myth that Scotland is on the way to hell in a nazi handcart cos someone had a wee shout at that big bellend Murphy whilst ignoring something like this and 16 years of abuse to protect their sorry arses.

Shame on labour.

doctor jambo

One can understand where he's coming from,a solitary TORY in Scotland tells its own story,a dead duck.

But approximately the same number of votes, meaning the conservatives having just as much mandate in this county as the SNP.

BUt that does not fit into the mantra

"no Scottish Tories" - well there are, lots of them

And in the last GE, just as many Scottish Conservatives as SNP

Masters of what? You'll have a maximum of 9% of the seats. Labour, Lib Dems and Conservative will have 85%+.

A referendum if Westminster agrees.

Yeah.:)

Guest Trapper John

[emoji1] the English sun defo mate.

I await the big labour supporters defence of this though. It won't come they'd rather perpetuate the myth that Scotland is on the way to hell in a nazi handcart cos someone had a wee shout at that big bellend Murphy whilst ignoring something like this and 16 years of abuse to protect their sorry arses.

Shame on labour.

Can we have a full, authorative list of everything that Labour is to blame for, Jack?

You can work out your seethe and rage at this insidious bunch while doing so.

But approximately the same number of votes, meaning the conservatives having just as much mandate in this county as the SNP.

Ahem,1 TORY is more than enough,I say we let The Edinburgh Pandas stand for election,there's more of them than Tories MPs in Scotland.:)

5 years ago.

jack D and coke

Can we have a full, authorative list of everything that Labour is to blame for, Jack?

You can work out your seethe and rage at this insidious bunch while doing so.

I have no seethe and rage at them TJ I've said to you before about taking things personally or thinking that I'm somehow spitting tacks at my phone screen typing these posts. I just think labour are ridiculous these days and quite enjoy giving them a bit of a shoeing.

You and your sidekick tend to get a bit hysterical from time to time about the SNP so Im merely trying to provide some balance.

It's all good here though mate thanks for asking[emoji106]

I suppose one could argue that under the Westminster electoral system, total votes cast is irrelevant. It's seats that count and deliver that mandate.

Not that the SNP had too much to crow about in 2010!

William must not be offended.:)

Christopher McEleny, leader of the SNP opposition on Inverclyde Council, came under fire from Rangers fans after he announced on Twitter that Morton had become "the second most successful team in Scottish league football with only Celtic having won more league titles than us".

He was celebrating Morton being crowned Scottish League One champions as they recorded a 3-1 victory over Peterhead.

When challenged that Rangers had won more, he responded: "Only won two."

He later said to one fan: "Not taking anything away from you, mate you've did well to get to the Championship in your first two season."

The row comes after football supporters had launched a campaign calling for Brendan O'Hara to stand down as the SNP's candidate for Argyll and Bute after using the word 'h**' about Rangers fans on a Celtic forum.

Morton's title win means the Greenock side have won ten championships across the Scottish divisions. They have never been champions in the top tier of Scottish football.

The comments provoked a fresh row over claims the Rangers are now a totally different club after the oldco's liquidation in 2012.

One tweeter said McEleny was "the latest SNP figure to have a pop at Rangers".

Another said: "What a detestable person. You sure know how to make voters hate the SNP."

When the council leader was asked why he was deleting tweets, he responded: "Just the ones that have attracted bigoted insults at me."

The accusation was denied by Rangers fans who challenged him over his remarks.

Rangers fans group Vanguard Bears has criticised the SNP over the weekend for taking no action over Mr O'Hara's use of the word 'h**' in 2007 and 2008.

The SNP said Mr O'Hara apologised for any offence caused by the use of the word but had no intention of stepping down.

Vanguard Bears said: "Still no action from the SNP - a clear endorsement of bigotry from Scotland's so-called anti sectarian party."

More than 2700 have supported an online petition which calls on SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon to take action over Mr O'Hara.

It was previously revealed that a campaign supported by the Rangers fans board has already been lobbying the First Minister to make the use of the word 'h**' illegal following the online abuse of pop singer Amy Macdonald.

The campaigners say 'h**' is a term of "religious hatred, a derogatory and sectarian term for a Protestant".

The campaigners say those using the phrase should be treated no differently than those who use offensive words to describe Catholics.

Mr McEleny later posted a photograb on his Twitter feed from a Rangers fans forum where one poster said: "Some kh**** will do anything to get the catholic vote. You know what to do Bears when it comes to the elections."

Another said: "I've been saying it since the Referendum - the SNP are fascist scum."

jambo1185

SNP suspend that Piers Doughty-Brown guy for his involvement yesterday according to the BBC, he's a party member.

Edited by jambo1185

TheMaganator

SNP suspend that Piers Doughty-Brown guy for his involvement yesterday according to the BBC, he's a party member.

That can't be correct. Sandra White SNP MSP says otherwise. Unless, of course, she's telling porkies - which I can't believe any nationalist would do

EA59C1BE-920F-48C2-9BDA-23BE6FCD1285_zps

That can't be correct. Sandra White SNP MSP says otherwise. Unless, of course, she's telling porkies - which I can't believe any nationalist would do EA59C1BE-920F-48C2-9BDA-23BE6FCD1285_zps

It is possible she simply didn't know, rather than lied.

Your party are hardly bastions of the truth. If so I'm sure we would already know where the ?12bn cuts to the welfare bill are coming from. Something that is more pertinent to this election that's whether or not somebody says some arsehole is in some party or another.

Edited by Boris

doctor jambo

Ahem,1 TORY is more than enough,I say we let The Edinburgh Pandas stand for election,there's more of them than Tories MPs in Scotland

Edinburgh Pandas - significantly fewer in this country than SNP sheep, yet they have the vote.....