The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

And no future public borrowing.

Says who, you.

We don't need to borrow, we're a real country.

Unlike some. gk

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your mob bust the country, not the SNP.

No, the bankers bust the country, not Labour. 

Back the bankers?

Trapper John McIntyre

Don't get you.

Two words: White Paper.

Two words.

Bull shit

coconut doug

The spectacular mismanagement of the country and its resources have brought us to this point and we should be grateful? These figures represent problems but every country in the western world has a deficit and are borrowing like drunken sailors, Scotland wouldn't be alone. These figures also only paint the picture of Scotland, devolved in the union it's not 100% totally accurate that these would be exactly the same were we Independent they are in a lot cases, guesstimates of the countries finances.

I was reading this earlier and it's critical of the U.K. Government as a whole but check the PFI debt Scotland has now. All brought on by the Labour Party. What a mess Britain is in....

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/joel-benjamin/forget-tax-hikes-plan-b-is-citizens-debt-audits

Good article showing the stranglehold money lenders have in the U.K. Their relationship with politicians is toxic and one of the reasons the u.k. is finished. State sponsored usury through PFI is the legacy of the Labour party as is the subsequent eternal debt and austerity for the poor.

Blame the bankers, if you like, but they were only doing what they were allowed to do. On the other hand the Labour party promised us an end to sleaze and more ethical policies. Labour claimed success for building schools and hospitals etc but sold our future to tax dodging, money lenders who financed Labour's elections in return for honours and lucrative punitive contracts that would make Mike Ashley blush. Scotland being disproportionately affected as it had a higher proportion of Labour councils.  

No, the bankers bust the country, not Labour.

Back the bankers?

Tony and Gordon, allowed them.

Remind me, what did Gordon do with the Gold?.

Might watch QT tonight for the first time in a long time. Be interesting to see how Davidson performs against Swinney, and if her claim that they are the only check on the SNP has any merit.

Latest GERS figures released. Scottish deficit now 9.7% of GDP (previous year revised up too) - (overspending now equivalent to 28% of Scottish public revenue). My prediction of double digit deficit not quite realised but might be revised up too. Next year will of course see even worse figures. Scottish deficit now twice the size of that for the UK.

Austerity!

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/03/3692/1

The figures were revised and it is double digit deficit. Shows the white paper to be the stack of lies that no voters sensed it was. No voters aren't gleefully happy that Scotland is in this state, we are simply vindicated in showing concern and doubting SNP figures only to be accused of scaremongering etc.

We look in amazement at the US where people are voting for Trump no matter what he says or does but here we have a majority of people still voting for a party that is trying to deceive the country into independence despite there being no fiscal case for it.

Yes Scotland could be independent but we would not have anywhere near the comforts and good things we get today - and we call that austerity! Scotland is spending way beyond its means currently and that is being supported by being part of the UK.

Overjoyed to see Scotland branded a basket case economy?

Weird man.

overjoyed to see that the basket isn't bigger in this case, it woulda been in an SNP world and it would be nowt to do with the labour party.

The Rep of Ireland seems to be doing OK now?

Maybe if we had done what Norway did all these year's ago and had a oil fund things wouldn't be such a mess now, i.e the UK Government? 

Westminster needs the oil revenues more than Scotland does to fund the likes of Trident so Britain can be at the top table at the likes NATO and the United Nations?

how much did the irish have to beg for ?

oil revenues ? it doesn't pay for the digging of the hole to get it out the ground and the SNP had the Scottish economy built on oil money and nothing else.

did the SNP say they were pulling out of NATO/UN, I'm sure they said they'd use NATO for defence but wouldn't supply any Land Bases or contribute any forces or any investment they just wanted NATO to defend us.

rather ironic that, just like the EU, as things stand that would indirectly be asking the English for help

Edited by reaths17

Tony and Gordon, allowed them.

Remind me, what did Gordon do with the Gold?.

Gold has zilch to do with the banking crisis.

Every developed nation allowed them to get away with murder. It was free money. Thatcher allowed them this scope in the 1980s. If anything the Labour party put in place watchdogs and regulations which proved to be not enough.

Salmond sent letters to Fred Goodwin endorsing and encouraging his diligent light takeovers of ABM Amro. They were all at it.

The SNP and the Tories wanted to go further and deregulate the mortgage market as well.

The deficit ballooned when the banks were bailed out nit before then. Bailouts generally cost a lot of money.

The Rep of Ireland seems to be doing OK now?

Maybe if we had done what Norway did all these year's ago and had a oil fund things wouldn't be such a mess now, i.e the UK Government?

Westminster needs the oil revenues more than Scotland does to fund the likes of Trident so Britain can be at the top table at the likes NATO and the United Nations?

Ireland is suffering huge wealth inequality from the crash. Worse than Scotland. Figures look good but itself debatable if the positive figures are being felt by the majority of the people.

Oil fund might've been a good idea in 1982 but its 2016 and the time has come to move on. It's a dirty, greenhouse gas producing dinosaur which is diminished and its value reduced.

Scotland wanted into NATO were all nations shelter under the nuclear umbrella. No pay, but gain? Equally the UK's place in the UN is as much down to its economy and soft power influence as it is nuclear bombs. However, I do get your point. Yet it should be noted in 1945/6 when the UN came about only one power was a nuclear nation. So security council permanent seats aren't necessarily based on the bomb.

The figures were revised and it is double digit deficit. Shows the white paper to be the stack of lies that no voters sensed it was. No voters aren't gleefully happy that Scotland is in this state, we are simply vindicated in showing concern and doubting SNP figures only to be accused of scaremongering etc.

We look in amazement at the US where people are voting for Trump no matter what he says or does but here we have a majority of people still voting for a party that is trying to deceive the country into independence despite there being no fiscal case for it.

Yes Scotland could be independent but we would not have anywhere near the comforts and good things we get today - and we call that austerity! Scotland is spending way beyond its means currently and that is being supported by being part of the UK.

Sorry i am mistaken, must have been another figure that was revised. 9.7% is still the deficit.

Don't get you.

Two words: White Paper.

Two words.

Bull shit

Both of you are correct.  The White Paper was a nonsense.

Still voted YES though.

Both of you are correct. The White Paper was a nonsense.

Still voted YES though.

Indeed, for a Red-Green Scotland. Not SNPTopia.

However, I'm happy with the devolution settlement now.

Go figure Boris! Haha

Gold has zilch to do with the banking crisis.

Every developed nation allowed them to get away with murder. It was free money. Thatcher allowed them this scope in the 1980s. If anything the Labour party put in place watchdogs and regulations which proved to be not enough.

Salmond sent letters to Fred Goodwin endorsing and encouraging his diligent light takeovers of ABM Amro. They were all at it.

The SNP and the Tories wanted to go further and deregulate the mortgage market as well.

The deficit ballooned when the banks were bailed out nit before then. Bailouts generally cost a lot of money.

$ here, pass the buck.

What is money?.

ToadKiller Dog

I see New Blue Labour has its hero in waiting ready to oust Corbyn after the election .

Dan Jarvis ex para all round good guy and Guardian newspaper darling has been raising money from wealthy labour supporters so as to launch a leadership challenge but ssshhhh it's a secret .

Of course he is distancing from New Labour ideology err right on then .

Trapper John McIntyre

I see New Blue Labour has its hero in waiting ready to oust Corbyn after the election .

Dan Jarvis ex para all round good guy and Guardian newspaper darling has been raising money from wealthy labour supporters so as to launch a leadership challenge but ssshhhh it's a secret .

Of course he is distancing from New Labour ideology err right on then .

Funny how Nicola and Swinney don't.

HaymarketJambo

overjoyed to see that the basket isn't bigger in this case, it woulda been in an SNP world and it would be nowt to do with the labour party.

how much did the irish have to beg for ?

oil revenues ? it doesn't pay for the digging of the hole to get it out the ground and the SNP had the Scottish economy built on oil money and nothing else.

did the SNP say they were pulling out of NATO/UN, I'm sure they said they'd use NATO for defence but wouldn't supply any Land Bases or contribute any forces or any investment they just wanted NATO to defend us.

rather ironic that, just like the EU, as things stand that would indirectly be asking the English for help

If read my post I never said that the SNP would pull out of NATO, what I was talking about was the cost of Trident to Westminster i.e the Government of the day, I would want Scotland to be a part of NATO just other European countries our size, thankfully that is SNP policy to stay in NATO, that's why the SNP lost some of their MSP'S to the Green Party because they voted to join NATO if Scotland became Independent.   

How would we be asking the English for help, also aren't Northern Ireland and Wales apart of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as well as England. 

LOLZ.

To be fair to Trapper, excepting foreign policy, the SNP position is a,in to that of New Labour under Blair. It's New Labour in a yellow rosette.

To be fair to Trapper, excepting foreign policy, the SNP position is a,in to that of New Labour under Blair. It's New Labour in a yellow rosette.

To be fair to Al.

To compare the great SNP to any post Kinnock labour party is. LOLZ

To be fair to Al.

To compare the great SNP to any post Kinnock labour party is. LOLZ

Not really when you consider policy and their economic and redistribution policies especially.

Tone and what they say is lefty, actions aren't.

jack D and coke

Did anyone see QT last night? :rofl: a right good balanced audience eh! The Dundee Tory branch bussed in from morningside to gloat and pull themselves into a frenzy over the GERS figures!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Did anyone see QT last night? :rofl: a right good balanced audience eh! The Dundee Tory branch bussed in from morningside to gloat and pull themselves into a frenzy over the GERS figures!

Maybe it was just a randomly picked audience that saw good reason to call Swinney and the SNP out for the frauds that they are.

jack D and coke

Maybe it was just a randomly picked audience that saw good reason to call Swinney and the SNP out for the frauds that they are.

Aye righto[emoji1]

This was Dundee not Morningside or Helensburgh.

You suggesting the Tories aren't frauds? Or labour?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Aye righto[emoji1]

This was Dundee not Morningside or Helensburgh.

You suggesting the Tories aren't frauds? Or labour?

Of course they are but it's not like anyone pretends otherwise. That's the difference. Are you going to shout 'agenda' every time the QT audience doesn't feature face paint and claymores?

jack D and coke

Of course they are but it's not like anyone pretends otherwise. That's the difference. Are you going to shout 'agenda' every time the QT audience doesn't feature face paint and claymores?

Haha hardly but this was Dundee and not a voice for the SNP was fairly unrepresentative of the city wouldn't you say?

All this SNP battering and sometimes they deserve it btw I'm no SNP supporter but the irony from the parties that have conned and deceived us all for 300 years is taking the pish.

Indeed, for a Red-Green Scotland. Not SNPTopia.

However, I'm happy with the devolution settlement now.

Go figure Boris! Haha

I'm not!  Any devolution settlement isn't enough, in that the mechanics of the Union need seeing to as well, e.g. PR for general elections, elected second chamberan English, or English regional, devolved parliament with the same powers as Holyrood, as should the Welsah and Nortehrn Irish.

Simply devolving more to Scotland doesn't fix the malaise at the heart of the union.

Haha hardly but this was Dundee and not a voice for the SNP was fairly unrepresentative of the city wouldn't you say?

All this SNP battering and sometimes they deserve it btw I'm no SNP supporter but the irony from the parties that have conned and deceived us all for 300 years is taking the pish.

Why stereotype? Dundee is near a vast area of central Scotland which for decades have been small c conservative rural farmer tories. What, because the audience weren't saying "twa" and praising Swinney means an agenda?

People may well view the GERRS figures badly and want to call Swinney, the man in charge of Scottish Government economic policy, up on that. And rightly so.

I'm not! Any devolution settlement isn't enough, in that the mechanics of the Union need seeing to as well, e.g. PR for general elections, elected second chamberan English, or English regional, devolved parliament with the same powers as Holyrood, as should the Welsah and Nortehrn Irish.

Simply devolving more to Scotland doesn't fix the malaise at the heart of the union.

Agreed. But not what I was talking about.

Agreed. But not what I was talking about.

All I was meaning was that regardless of Smith Commissions etc, further devolution is pointless, or rather, will always fall short, unless the issues I mentioned are addressed.  IMHO, of course!

HaymarketJambo

I thought Swinney did well on Question Time considering that 5 of the panel was against him.

Jenny Marra of the Labour Party stole my heart though.  :2thumbsup:

I thought Swinney did well on Question Time considering that 5 of the panel was against him.

Jenny Marra of the Labour Party stole my heart though.  :2thumbsup:

Is that her just handed it back?

7cc3cac6682cdf39df42db6b442c79.jpg

Jenny Marra of the Labour Party stole my heart though. :2thumbsup:

What did he say he had planned to address the budget deficit? Tax increases or cuts?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Jenny Marra of the Labour Party stole my heart though. :2thumbsup:

I knew that some of the "low standards" JKB members would be all over her

Dusk_Till_Dawn

What did he say he had planned to address the budget deficit? Tax increases or cuts?

Danced around that question, surprisingly enough

manaliveits105

The electorate have been lied to by the SNP - if there had been a yes vote in the referendum we would be up shit creek now .I voted yes but wont be doing so again and wont be voting SNP in the coming elections . The behaviour of the cyber nats post referendum was also disgusting towards the elderly electorate . Jimmy Cranky oot.

Ibrahim Tall

The electorate have been lied to by the SNP - if there had been a yes vote in the referendum we would be up shit creek now .I voted yes but wont be doing so again and wont be voting SNP in the coming elections . The behaviour of the cyber nats post referendum was also disgusting towards the elderly electorate . Jimmy Cranky oot.

You voted yes solely based on the SNP? More fool you, you were voting for an independent Scotland not an SNP dictatorship.

manaliveits105

I was voting for an independent Scotland based on forecasts/figures produced by the snp of how well off we would be on our own - fool me once.

You voted yes solely based on the SNP? More fool you, you were voting for an independent Scotland not an SNP dictatorship.

Remember that one of their lies during the attempted con trick was that households were going to be ?500 a year better off. Every trick in the book was used to dupe punters in to voting Yes.

Remember that one of their lies during the attempted con trick was that households were going to be ?500 a year better off. Every trick in the book was used to dupe punters in to voting Yes.

And equally so by "Project Fear".

That's politics!  Look at the blatant lies from the Tories post GE 2015!

If anyone was swayed by ?500 to vote yes, then more fool them, and the same goes for the other way too.

Not arguing against the White Paper and the SNP's case for independence being a castle built on sand though!

And equally so by "Project Fear".

That's politics!  Look at the blatant lies from the Tories post GE 2015!

If anyone was swayed by ?500 to vote yes, then more fool them, and the same goes for the other way too.

Not arguing against the White Paper and the SNP's case for independence being a castle built on sand though!

the big difference being, that the better together lies have cost us nothing, "same old shit as before" the SNP lies would see us with no money for infrastructure to run the country let alone make it profitable for us to be better off, it would have left us needing to ask somebody to bail us out.

not a great situation to drag a country of people into with a bunch of lies. how anybody can vote for a party that were willing to do that to millions of people is rather sad and its even more sad that the options are so abysmal.

viva politics