• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TheMaganator
:lol: the UN?

My prediction is that we'll hear little more about this as they discover that the UK has one of the most developed and comprehensive welfare systems in the developed world.

The Mighty Thor

[emoji38] the UN?

My prediction is that we'll hear little more about this as they discover that the UK has one of the most developed and comprehensive welfare systems in the developed world.

Which the conservative party of government seeks to undermine and dismantle, sorry reform, at every turn.

If they could get away with it they'd wind the welfare state up tomorrow and we'd be right back in the 18th century.

TheMaganator

Which the conservative party of government seeks to undermine and dismantle, sorry reform, at every turn.

If they could get away with it they'd wind the welfare state up tomorrow and we'd be right back in the 18th century.

Welfare needed reformed. I'm sure we all agree on that.

Whether the Tories have done it well only time will tell

The Mighty Thor

Welfare needed reformed. I'm sure we all agree on that.

Whether the Tories have done it well only time will tell

The Welfare System does need reformed back to being a health and welfare system free at the point of delivery. What it hasn't needed has been successive governments trying to privatise parts of it and turn them into businesses generally for the benefit of party contributors and grandees and not the poor sods needing help.

Companies like Atos have no place in our health and welfare system.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Watched the Labour leader debate on Sky last night and I've got to say, Corbyn wiped the floor with all three of them.

Labour have got a massive problem now. Vote for Corbyn and they're going miles towards the left, which most existing MPs don't want to. But vote for anyone else and it's basically an admission that the party would rather plod along in the same old uninspiring mould than be open to something fresh.

I'm certain now that Corbyn will win and looking at the three alternatives last night, I think they know it too. Interesting times ahead.

AlphonseCapone

Watched the Labour leader debate on Sky last night and I've got to say, Corbyn wiped the floor with all three of them.

Labour have got a massive problem now. Vote for Corbyn and they're going miles towards the left, which most existing MPs don't want to. But vote for anyone else and it's basically an admission that the party would rather plod along in the same old uninspiring mould than be open to something fresh.

I'm certain now that Corbyn will win and looking at the three alternatives last night, I think they know it too. Interesting times ahead.

He received 80% of the vote for who won the debate so you are very much in the majority.

The rest of them come across as absolutely spineless, I wouldn't trust Andy Burnham as far as I could throw him.

Yup totally true.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to the clear out of a lot of poor politicians at Holyrood next year and better ones stepping up. Will be good for all scots regardless of your views.

The SNP need to decide whether they want to represent 100% of Scottish people at Westminster, or want Independence, in which case they should withdraw from Westminster.     Its a silly notion that they can achieve both, and furthermore one counterracts the other.

Agreed that Corbyn will win, and rightly so. For all the talk of Corbyn being unelectable, so are the other 3. Burnham is an uninspiring empty suit who is flip flopping all over the shop with policy. Cooper, full of meaningless soundbites, who thinks she should become leader based on the fact she has a vagina. I'm still trying to work out what Kendall is doing in the Labour party, she's more to the right than some of the folk on the opposite bench.

I disagree that they'll go miles left though. Reckon Corybn will offer the olive branch to the Blairites who will reign him in a bit. They'll still be much more left than they have been though.

The SNP need to decide whether they want to represent 100% of Scottish people at Westminster, or want Independence, in which case they should withdraw from Westminster. Its a silly notion that they can achieve both, and furthermore one counterracts the other.

And be a Scottish Sinn Feinn? Interesting idea. I can see why it makes sense, but then it removes the ability to be a nuisance and play games between the opposition and government which do benefit them. And they aren't unique in Europe for being a breakaway movement taking seats in the parliament they want away from - Catalan and Basque nationalists take seats in Madrid for example.

My point wasn't so much aimed at the SNP. It was a point about the quality of members in Holyrood. Scotland is slowly creeping towards greater autonomy here with a corresponding impact at Westminster of a smaller voice. Which, I think, is actually fair. I'd even begin to question the need for a Scottish Secretary, I do the need for a Welsh one as well.

However, more power in Holyrood requires a higher calibre of representative and perhaps more MSPs (at the next boundary review planned Scotland will likely loose seats) to provide more depth and a better balance between a growing executive in the Scottish Government. I'd also change the voting system to STV, the parliament is designed to be proportional and representative, not confrontational. Plus you'd remove a two tier MSP system between constituent MSPs and list ones.

Edited by JamboX2

Psychedelicropcircle

:lol: the UN?

My prediction is that we'll hear little more about this as they discover that the UK had one of the most developed and comprehensive welfare systems in the developed world.

FTFY

jambos are go!

Interesting and depressing article from Independence supporting Gerry Hassan in the Sunday Mail today saying Holyrood is merely a talking shop with power concentrated and applied by Government and its Civil Servants. And Scotland is the most centralised country in the Western World and nothing is said to challenge the executive by the Parliament. Made worse IMO by those in power wielding it to do little or nothing to address Scotlands needs but merely to protect their own backs.

Thats not what we voted for in Holyrood elections or the Referendums on devolution or independence.

Interesting and depressing article from Independence supporting Gerry Hassan in the Sunday Mail today saying Holyrood is merely a talking shop with power concentrated and applied by Government and its Civil Servants. And Scotland is the most centralised country in the Western World and nothing is said to challenge the executive by the Parliament. Made worse IMO by those in power wielding it to do little or nothing to address Scotlands needs but merely to protect their own backs.

Thats not what we voted for in Holyrood elections or the Referendums on devolution or independence.

Good, and may it last forever and ever.

Whilst inside this lopsided joke of a democracy, that is the UK.

You have the union, we'll have holyrood.

In smaller countries, elites are generally more interconnected, smaller as a group and more defensive of their interests. Scotland has not really reviewed how it's health, education, local government and central government works and relates to the people since the 1970s. It's now time for ministers at Holyrood to give power out to local government over public health, organising education, developing public transport, economic development and elements of welfare to local government.

Although I would change how local government is structured and funded before devolving more power at once. Perhaps even keep 32 small district councils as is with 8 large regional authorities based on the regional list boundaries. Only exceptions being the island communities who would be independent of regional councils but have the eater powers of those bodies.

In that way you devolve power away and out of Holyrood. Making it less managerial and able to focus on the bigger picture. Whilst allowing for local policies to meet local needs.

Sadiq Khan has won the Mayoral nomination. Feeling is that Corbyn will win as he took a lot of support from registered Corbyn supporters.

Good for London Labour. Khan is the son of a bus driver of a family of 8 children and has lived, worked in before representing his seat. Unlike his rivals he never avoided London state schools, and he's proactively opposed to a 3rd runway and more oligarchs buying up London property for profit.

All good.

Sadiq Khan has won the Mayoral nomination. Feeling is that Corbyn will win as he took a lot of support from registered Corbyn supporters.

Good for London Labour. Khan is the son of a bus driver of a family of 8 children and has lived, worked in before representing his seat. Unlike his rivals he never avoided London state schools, and he's proactively opposed to a 3rd runway and more oligarchs buying up London property for profit.

All good.

Pleasantly surprised by the nomination.

Perhaps Labour is beginning to go back to its roots?

Pleasantly surprised by the nomination.

Perhaps Labour is beginning to go back to its roots?

Arguably on many areas it never left them. I'd argue that rather than third way its way through policies it's just being more upfront.

Time will tell with Corbyn but the Khan nomination is nothing but positive. Him v Goldsmith is a better dynamic, his background is pretty "Labour" and he's a strong campaigner who's been underused at Westminster.

I think the influx of new supporters since May across the UK has been a good thing for Labour. Reinvigorated the party.

Malinga the Swinga

As someone who wouldn't be voting for him even if I was eligible to vote, which I am not, all I can say is that he is an improvement on Ken Livingstone, although that isn't exactly a high bar to pass. Is see the Respect party is putting a candidate up for the mayoral position. I had not heard from Mr Galloway for a while and sort of hoped he had disappeared for good, but nope, he is back

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Latest GERS figures (for last year) released.  

Scottish deficit of 8% of GDP (overspending equivalent to 23% of Scottish public revenue)  and the likelihood that the same figures for this year will show a double digit deficit as a % of GDP.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/03/1422

Latest GERS figures released.  Scottish deficit now 9.7% of GDP (previous year revised up too) - (overspending now equivalent to 28% of Scottish public revenue).  My prediction of double digit deficit not quite realised but might be revised up too.  Next year will of course see even worse figures.  Scottish deficit now twice the size of that for the UK.  

Austerity!

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/03/3692/1

jack D and coke

Latest GERS figures released. Scottish deficit now 9.7% of GDP (previous year revised up too) - (overspending now equivalent to 28% of Scottish public revenue). My prediction of double digit deficit not quite realised but might be revised up too. Next year will of course see even worse figures. Scottish deficit now twice the size of that for the UK.

Austerity!

What a brilliant job the uk governments have made of the Scottish economy.

What a brilliant job the uk governments have made of the Scottish economy.

yeah, imagine what it would be without Westminster propping it up

Edited by reaths17

HaymarketJambo

How are we going to fund the new Trident Missile now?

Maybe we could beg to China for funding for the Missile.  :smug2:  

jack D and coke

yeah, imagine what it would be without Westminster propping it up

The spectacular mismanagement of the country and its resources have brought us to this point and we should be grateful? These figures represent problems but every country in the western world has a deficit and are borrowing like drunken sailors, Scotland wouldn't be alone. These figures also only paint the picture of Scotland, devolved in the union it's not 100% totally accurate that these would be exactly the same were we Independent they are in a lot cases, guesstimates of the countries finances.

I was reading this earlier and it's critical of the U.K. Government as a whole but check the PFI debt Scotland has now. All brought on by the Labour Party. What a mess Britain is in....

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/joel-benjamin/forget-tax-hikes-plan-b-is-citizens-debt-audits

How are we going to fund the new Trident Missile now?

Maybe we could beg to China for funding for the Missile.  :smug2:

we wouldn't have to worry about that if independent.

we would be to busy fighting the greeks for 1st place in the begging rights and kissing the german boot just to feed the country.

oil, oil lotsa lovely oil to run the country with lol

The spectacular mismanagement of the country and its resources have brought us to this point and we should be grateful? These figures represent problems but every country in the western world has a deficit and are borrowing like drunken sailors, Scotland wouldn't be alone. These figures also only paint the picture of Scotland, devolved in the union it's not 100% totally accurate that these would be exactly the same were we Independent they are in a lot cases, guesstimates of the countries finances.

I was reading this earlier and it's critical of the U.K. Government as a whole but check the PFI debt Scotland has now. All brought on by the Labour Party. What a mess Britain is in....

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/joel-benjamin/forget-tax-hikes-plan-b-is-citizens-debt-audits

hahaha, you back to blaming the labour party for world recession, it was broons fault, overnight he crashed the economy, aye so they did. it takes quite a while to crash the world economy, longer than broon had in power and it would need somebody with a lot more power than the broon/labour party

jack D and coke

we would be to busy fighting the greeks for 1st place in the begging rights and kissing the german boot just to feed the country.

Overjoyed to see Scotland branded a basket case economy?

Weird man.

HaymarketJambo

The Rep of Ireland seems to be doing OK now?

Maybe if we had done what Norway did all these year's ago and had a oil fund things wouldn't be such a mess now, i.e the UK Government? 

Westminster needs the oil revenues more than Scotland does to fund the likes of Trident so Britain can be at the top table at the likes NATO and the United Nations?     

Latest GERS figures released.  Scottish deficit now 9.7% of GDP (previous year revised up too) - (overspending now equivalent to 28% of Scottish public revenue).  My prediction of double digit deficit not quite realised but might be revised up too.  Next year will of course see even worse figures.  Scottish deficit now twice the size of that for the UK.  

Austerity!

Are these figures due to Westminster mismanagement or the Scottish Government's mismanagement ?

Answers on a post card.

AlphonseCapone

Overjoyed to see Scotland branded a basket case economy?

Weird man.

I understand voting no.

I don't understand the perverse pleasure some folk would get in seeing their country fail because it confirmed their viewpoint.

Like those zoomers who seem to enjoy Hearts losing if it backs up their viewpoint.

Trapper John McIntyre

I understand voting no.

I don't understand the perverse pleasure some folk would get in seeing their country fail because it confirmed their viewpoint.

Like those zoomers who seem to enjoy Hearts losing if it backs up their viewpoint.

I feel your pain.

It's just awful how all those No voters were proven correct.

I feel your pain.

It's just awful how all those No voters were proven correct.

About what?

I understand voting no.

Personally, it's not that at all. My view of this is these people were calling the White Paper and the over the top predictions of the Yes side and the SNP out for what it was (a pipe dream) at the time and our now being vindicated.

Everyone (Yes/No, SNP, Labour, Liberal, Tory, Green, UKIP etc) all wants to see Scotland succeed. The fact is it was wrong to deny the harsh realities that affect Scotland then and now and the need to seriously address them.

Frankly, as a yes voter, I think the issue which floored the campaign was an SNP insistence that everything would be alright on the night from the ? to defence and oil to fisheries. It was nuts and frankly insulting. Equally, it's insulting to all of us to suggest anyone is taking great joy in bad economic, employment and poverty figures for Scotland. They should, be as they should've been in the referendum the catalyst for a more vibrant debate on how different we could do things in Scotland.  

Personally, it's not that at all. My view of this is these people were calling the White Paper and the over the top predictions of the Yes side and the SNP out for what it was (a pipe dream) at the time and our now being vindicated.

Everyone (Yes/No, SNP, Labour, Liberal, Tory, Green, UKIP etc) all wants to see Scotland succeed. The fact is it was wrong to deny the harsh realities that affect Scotland then and now and the need to seriously address them.

Frankly, as a yes voter, I think the issue which floored the campaign was an SNP insistence that everything would be alright on the night from the ? to defence and oil to fisheries. It was nuts and frankly insulting. Equally, it's insulting to all of us to suggest anyone is taking great joy in bad economic, employment and poverty figures for Scotland. They should, be as they should've been in the referendum the catalyst for a more vibrant debate on how different we could do things in Scotland.

One word.

Labour.

No pound, no debt, simple.

Your point obviously ignores the fact that a currency isn't an asset. It's a currency. 

Gold is an asset. Currency isn't.

Your point obviously ignores the fact that a currency isn't an asset. It's a currency.

Gold is an asset. Currency isn't.

That's why theres two posts.