• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Must have made this point in here 100 times:

If you are pushing for massive, nation-redefining constitutional change, the onus is on you to justify it, not the other way round. Therefore more questions are asked of the yes campaign. It's really not difficult to understand.

Wings over Scotland is a joke site btw.

https://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/i-am-seeking-election-to-the-scottish-parliament-heres-why/

The good Prof Thomkins is standing for office at Homyrood.

Read his piece. Anyone with critical capacity should be concerned by the SNP's record in office

Tory cuts=people die.

But, but #SNPBAD they gave people a council tax freeze.

TheMaganator

Tory cuts=people die.

I really wish I knew how to put you on ignore.

Tory cuts=people die.

SNP establish Police Scotland. Police Scotland leave roadside accident motorist to die and man dies in police custody. SNP's directly culpable here yes?

That's your logic Aussie.

https://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/i-am-seeking-election-to-the-scottish-parliament-heres-why/

Read his piece. Anyone with critical capacity should be concerned by the SNP's record in office

I stopped reading when he described the Conservatives as "principled" in the opening paragraph.

You're a Tory, good for you, but I would say how can you be if you had any critical capacity yourself?  The SNP's record in office may well be poor, I suspect it's mixed but that's here nor there, but a look at any Tory Government's records and I know they are poor!

Tory cuts=people die.

More UKbad i see. It's their fault for everything after all. That has to be the way to further the independence cause.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/support-workers-blame-snp-funding-6315944

600 people dying under SNP - those council tax freezes and free prescriptions don't come out of thin air - they cut spending elsewhere. No doubt the UK are to blame again?

More UKbad i see. It's their fault for everything after all. That has to be the way to further the independence cause.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/support-workers-blame-snp-funding-6315944

600 people dying under SNP - those council tax freezes and free prescriptions don't come out of thin air - they cut spending elsewhere. No doubt the UK are to blame again?

This is a prime example of where Scottish politics is at.

The problem or the policy isn't really the point, is it?

If the SNP are responsible, then it must be bad because they want independence.

If it is from Westminster it must be bad because we want independence.

Is it as shallow as that?

So much for (either) side moving on.

TheMaganator

I stopped reading when he described the Conservatives as "principled" in the opening paragraph.

You're a Tory, good for you, but I would say how can you be if you had any critical capacity yourself? The SNP's record in office may well be poor, I suspect it's mixed but that's here nor there, but a look at any Tory Government's records and I know they are poor!

They are principled. It's just those principals differ from yours.

I know the Tories get things wrong. But we are talking about the Holyrood elections here.

And if you stop reading something because you don't agree with a sentence in it then you will end up a nationalist.

SNP establish Police Scotland. Police Scotland leave roadside accident motorist to die and man dies in police custody. SNP's directly culpable here yes?

That's your logic Aussie.

Didnt say they werent.

You voting tory now?

They are principled. It's just those principals differ from yours.

I know the Tories get things wrong. But we are talking about the Holyrood elections here.

And if you stop reading something because you don't agree with a sentence in it then you will end up a nationalist.

Like sending an expenses fraudster to the House of Lords?

Or sending a perjurer to the House of Lords?

To name one Tory principle.

You're right.  Not my kind of principles.

Hahaha - end up a Nationalist?  Jeez, Mag.  You think?  

image.png

300 years of oppression, they cant fix it in 8.

TheMaganator

Like sending an expenses fraudster to the House of Lords?

Or sending a perjurer to the House of Lords?

To name one Tory principle.

You're right. Not my kind of principles.

Hahaha - end up a Nationalist? Jeez, Mag. You think?

image.png

Dismissing opinions and articles you don't agree with with will lead to a blinkered political existence - like nationalists

Dismissing opinions and articles you don't agree with with will lead to a blinkered political existence - like nationalists

Mag, I can read it but it will not lead me to vote Tory.

Nothing could bring me to do that!

Nationalists are blinkered?  That's quite a, err, blinkered view, wouldn't you say?

jack D and coke

Blinkered political opinions you say?? Ironic much?

I'm sure your tongue is firmly in your cheek there mags[emoji1]

TheMaganator

Nationalists are blinkered?  That's quite a, err, blinkered view, wouldn't you say?

Not at all. It is a well informed view after spending many, many years engaging with them and reading the shite they come out with. 

Blinkered political opinions you say?? Ironic much?

I'm sure your tongue is firmly in your cheek there mags[emoji1]

:lol: think you need to stop listening to Alanis Morissette, JD. :thumbsup:

Malinga the Swinga

I really wish I knew how to put you on ignore.

Itis quite easy and most enjoyable. Go to your account, select Manage Ignore Preferences and then input name of who you want to block. Life becomes far more enjoyable without constant abuse.

The Mighty Thor

I was welling up. I could hear land of hope and glory in the background.

Stirring stuff. Myopic, disingenuous, but stirring nonetheless.

Perhaps he'll finish fourth in his constituency and be elected from the list, like Ruth. But hey, That's democracy. :thumb:

Malinga the Swinga

Just as nothing will persuade me that, as things stand, there is any viable alternative to the Conservative party. The Labour Party has imploded, the Liberals are discredited, the Greens are full of ideas that belong in a different century, and as for the SNP, hell wil freeze over before that bunch, and its uber fanatical supporters, receive my vote.

Thunderstruck

300 years of oppression, they cant fix it in 8.

Had they got their way last September, we were promised that we would have been in the Land of Milk and Honey by 1 April 17.

But we now know that the gap between rhetoric and delivery is at least 8 years. Brilliant!

Had they got their way last September, we were promised that we would have been in the Land of Milk and Honey by 1 April 17.

But we now know that the gap between rhetoric and delivery is at least 8 years. Brilliant!

Milk and Honey, no

oil and gas, yip. :)

Just as nothing will persuade me that, as things stand, there is any viable alternative to the Conservative party. The Labour Party has imploded, the Liberals are discredited, the Greens are full of ideas that belong in a different century, and as for the SNP, hell wil freeze over before that bunch, and its uber fanatical supporters, receive my vote.

And that's cool too. :thumb:

You vote for who you want to vote for.  Interesting your choice of words though, in that by them I take it you would have previously considered voting Labour or even Liberal.  That's interesting.

Itis quite easy and most enjoyable. Go to your account, select Manage Ignore Preferences and then input name of who you want to block. Life becomes far more enjoyable without constant abuse.

Am I missing something?

Malinga the Swinga

And that's cool too. :thumb:

You vote for who you want to vote for.  Interesting your choice of words though, in that by them I take it you would have previously considered voting Labour or even Liberal.  That's interesting.

Liberal perhaps, Liberal Democrats most unlikely. The Gang of Four destroyed party for their own selfish ambitions.

You're a Tory, good for you, but I would say how can you be if you had any critical capacity yourself?  The SNP's record in office may well be poor, I suspect it's mixed but that's here nor there, but a look at any Tory Government's records and I know they are poor!

:)

ToadKiller Dog

Watched the newsnught so called ex labour voters focus group thing they plumped for cooper as the leader , just had a sense they were being led in that direction by the host and by one or two in the panel who didn't seem as if they were just off the street .

A bit dodgy

I was welling up. I could hear land of hope and glory in the background.

Stirring stuff. Myopic, disingenuous, but stirring nonetheless.

Perhaps he'll finish fourth in his constituency and be elected from the list, like Ruth. But hey, That's democracy. :thumb:

When I studied constitutional law at uni it was around the time of the SNP minority administration and we were going through what was then called "A Conversation for Scotland", their first botched attempt at independence in the run up to the 2011 election.

I was at Edinburgh and Prof Tomkins was a Glasgow lecturer. We had Prof Tierny, nice guy who would later advise the SNP. The academic debate at the time was excellent. But I always thought that Tomkins was the more open and honest writer on the independence debate, which was then the legality of a vote being held.

Tomkins was saying hold it, but without the UK governments backing it won't be legally binding. The SNP rejected that at the time but later went on to follow with the s.30 Agreement (Edinburgh Agreement).

Anyway, I went to see him speak at a seminar on the topic and he was absolutely riveting and engaging. He was witty, forthright and very interesting. Regardless of his politics he will be a very big asset to Holyrood. And surely that's a good thing. I don't like the Tory party nor would I vote for them, but all Holyrood parties are stuffed with pigmy politicians. Beyond the SNPs top 3 ministers the rest are pretty poor and their better eggs are in Westminster, Labour is bereft beyond its leader, Marra and Gray and the Tories and Liberals are mediocrities as are the Greens.

All parties (SNP included) are engaged in mucking out the bad eggs for this election. That's a good thing to me as scots deserve a better Holyrood with an effective governing party and a rigorous opposition. Not the pantomime we've had of late.

Tomkins is such a better candidate. Regardless of party. And he will improve Holyrood and his party to no end. He's even a bit of a republican, look for his book "How We Should Govern Ourselves" a book which proposes a parliamentary republic and a federal UK.

So before you dismiss him, read about him and his beliefs. The may surprise you.

Watched the newsnught so called ex labour voters focus group thing they plumped for cooper as the leader , just had a sense they were being led in that direction by the host and by one or two in the panel who didn't seem as if they were just off the street .

A bit dodgy

Or they backed Cooper. The best candidate of the "other 3".

Didnt say they werent.

You voting tory now?

Nope. But I've just seen your "300 years of oppression" response to failings in the SNP's record on health and education. I'd stop whilst I was behind if I was you.

The SNP have been in power for 8 years. There's kids starting high school now who have went through school only under the SNP and their attainment is less than those of other generations and year groups according to the statistics and test results. Ask yourself these questions:

Who has led the Scotland in that time?

Who has run the education system in that time?

Who should be held responsible for failings in that system?

Quick hint. It's not a trick question and the last answer is the same as the first two.

In What or which way, is Mrs balls the best Candidate?.

In What or which way, is Mrs balls the best Candidate?.

In comparison to unelectable Liz and flip flop Burnham she's been a very strong advocate of universal childcare, anti austerity and equality issues this campaign. She wants to strengthen trade union laws and turn our low wage economy into a high wage one with more funding for further education.

Still voted Corbyn but she was my 2nd preference vote.

ToadKiller Dog

Did you watch it , I would say that the bald guy in one group was leading the others , and the wide guy in the others stronger character was forcing others .

Also selective use of interviews could be argued .

Clearly showing clips of Cooper talking about families and children is going to appeal to voters more so the wen on the panel better than say Corbyn talking about Bliar .

Nope. But I've just seen your "300 years of oppression" response to failings in the SNP's record on health and education. I'd stop whilst I was behind if I was you.

The SNP have been in power for 8 years. There's kids starting high school now who have went through school only under the SNP and their attainment is less than those of other generations and year groups according to the statistics and test results. Ask yourself these questions:

Who has led the Scotland in that time?

Who has run the education system in that time?

Who should be held responsible for failings in that system?

Quick hint. It's not a trick question and the last answer is the same as the first two.

Labour, Labour and Labour.

A minority 4 year and a single majority term will not fix the mess labour left x2.

So wake up and smell the coffee, your mob goosed the place, The SNP will never sort Scotland under union constraints and thats exactly what these new admin regs are design to do.

So while still in oppression I wont expect the Nothern region of the Empire of England/Britain/UK to climb out of the destatution it will remain in until the glory of Indepence brings the soon to be born again Scotland.

So, I will be thankful in the small mercies of the SNP fighting to protect us from every imposed on us from WM and within.

A minority 4 year and a single majority term will not fix the mess labour left x2.

So wake up and smell the coffee, your mob goosed the place, The SNP will never sort Scotland under union constraints and thats exactly what these new admin regs are design to do.

So while still in oppression I wont expect the Nothern region of the Empire of England/Britain/UK to climb out of the destatution it will remain in until the glory of Indepence brings the soon to be born again Scotland.

So, I will be thankful in the small mercies of the SNP fighting to protect us from every imposed on us from WM and within.

Of course, we can't manage anything while oppressed by the UK. What nonsense. Education is what makes us become the amazing people we can be and it is that which is suffering under SNP rule. Scots have made it in the world as some of the most important people in the last 300 years and being part of the UK didn't get in the way of that.

So do you think the government should just let things languish until independence happens? If they try to improve things now, they would lose their "only with independence" argument.

They will be found out soon enough, you are so blinkered you can't see it.

Of course, we can't manage anything while oppressed by the UK. What nonsense. Education is what makes us become the amazing people we can be and it is that which is suffering under SNP rule. Scots have made it in the world as some of the most important people in the last 300 years and being part of the UK didn't get in the way of that.

So do you think the government should just let things languish until independence happens? If they try to improve things now, they would lose their "only with independence" argument.

They will be found out soon enough, you are so blinkered you can't see it.

Best educated and most well read nation pre 1707.

Not now we're not. 308 years of 2 class citizenship.

Milked dry.

Oh aussieh how you play to the SNP tune - never the SNP's fault always down to someone else. No doubt you'll be hoping a move to Canada is coming soon.

Oh aussieh how you play to the SNP tune - never the SNP's fault always down to someone else. No doubt you'll be hoping a move to Canada is coming soon.

Independence, of that I have no doubt.

The FM will in time take her place, alongside our great liberators of times past.

Arnold Rothstein

Independence, of that I have no doubt.

The FM will in time take her place, alongside our great liberators of times past.

Is it independence at any cost for you? i.e. would you be happy to pay much higher taxes if required?

Labour has been out of office since 2007.

Labour has not run education since then.

Labour is not the answer.

I'm afraid I'm not prepared to give 300 years to any party. Albeit I'd be dead.

Scotland as we know was made by the union. But we made the union more so than much of the wider UK.

No party is perfect. But no government can be excused for failure.

HaymarketJambo

When I studied constitutional law at uni it was around the time of the SNP minority administration and we were going through what was then called "A Conversation for Scotland", their first botched attempt at independence in the run up to the 2011 election.

I was at Edinburgh and Prof Tomkins was a Glasgow lecturer. We had Prof Tierny, nice guy who would later advise the SNP. The academic debate at the time was excellent. But I always thought that Tomkins was the more open and honest writer on the independence debate, which was then the legality of a vote being held.

Tomkins was saying hold it, but without the UK governments backing it won't be legally binding. The SNP rejected that at the time but later went on to follow with the s.30 Agreement (Edinburgh Agreement).

Anyway, I went to see him speak at a seminar on the topic and he was absolutely riveting and engaging. He was witty, forthright and very interesting. Regardless of his politics he will be a very big asset to Holyrood. And surely that's a good thing. I don't like the Tory party nor would I vote for them, but all Holyrood parties are stuffed with pigmy politicians. Beyond the SNPs top 3 ministers the rest are pretty poor and their better eggs are in Westminster, Labour is bereft beyond its leader, Marra and Gray and the Tories and Liberals are mediocrities as are the Greens.

All parties (SNP included) are engaged in mucking out the bad eggs for this election. That's a good thing to me as scots deserve a better Holyrood with an effective governing party and a rigorous opposition. Not the pantomime we've had of late.

Tomkins is such a better candidate. Regardless of party. And he will improve Holyrood and his party to no end. He's even a bit of a republican, look for his book "How We Should Govern Ourselves" a book which proposes a parliamentary republic and a federal UK.

So before you dismiss him, read about him and his beliefs. The may surprise you.

Yes I agree with you that the Scots deserve better, but Labour have only themselves to blame for the SNP be in power, thats why Labour  got beat in the last Holyrood elections and thrashed in this year's General Election, the SNP were taking seats away from the Labour Party who had massive majorities, likes of Fife and Central Scotland, it was history making stuff.

Like I have said in previous posts the SNP have made mistakes in power,  but if the people of Scotland didn't think they were doing a good job,  at this year's General Election the people of Scotland could have sent a message to the SNP, but they sent a message to the Labour Party and that's why the SNP did so well in this year's General Election.               

Is it independence at any cost for you? i.e. would you be happy to pay much higher taxes if required?

Id give it all.

The Mighty Thor

He used to espouse socialism I believe. I'm sure he's a very bright and engaging fellow but he appears to have an uncanny ability to follow which way the wind blows at any given time.

He used to espouse socialism I believe. I'm sure he's a very bright and engaging fellow but he appears to have an uncanny ability to follow which way the wind blows at any given time .

Like the SNP then? ;)

I'd say being in the Tories in Scotland is pretty against that characterisation. Ask Tasmina Sheik MP, she's been in every party but the Greens it seems!

Yes I agree with you that the Scots deserve better, but Labour have only themselves to blame for the SNP be in power, thats why Labour got beat in the last Holyrood elections and thrashed in this year's General Election, the SNP were taking seats away from the Labour Party who had massive majorities, likes of Fife and Central Scotland, it was history making stuff.

Like I have said in previous posts the SNP have made mistakes in power, but if the people of Scotland didn't think they were doing a good job, at this year's General Election the people of Scotland could have sent a message to the SNP, but they sent a message to the Labour Party and that's why the SNP did so well in this year's General Election.

Ok... Don't necessarily disagree with you. People voted SNP. Good on them. Doesn't mean they and other parties don't need to improve their calibre of candidates. I'd say the SNP have a dilemma in that most of their best candidates are down at Westminster not Holyrood.

But aye, power to you.

coconut doug

Is your repeated and strenuous support for Tories and their party likely to negate your vote in the leadership election?

I've researched him before dismissing him. There is some drivel on his blog and Peat Worrier criticises his constitutional understanding but crucially he comes over as an arrogant, intolerant buffoon who will not easily endear himself to most Scots. I've listened to him talking to Select Committees and on TV and rather than riveting and engaging I found him condescending, supercilious and sneering. The Tories and New Labour will love him

HaymarketJambo

Ok... Don't necessarily disagree with you. People voted SNP. Good on them. Doesn't mean they and other parties don't need to improve their calibre of candidates. I'd say the SNP have a dilemma in that most of their best candidates are down at Westminster not Holyrood.

But aye, power to you.

I agree, most of the best of the SNP candidates are down in Westminster, a bit like the Labour Party a few years ago.

I totally agree with you that the SNP have dilemma on that one, only time will tell?  

Is your repeated and strenuous support for Tories and their party likely to negate your vote in the leadership election?

I've researched him before dismissing him. There is some drivel on his blog and Peat Worrier criticises his constitutional understanding but crucially he comes over as an arrogant, intolerant buffoon who will not easily endear himself to most Scots. I've listened to him talking to Select Committees and on TV and rather than riveting and engaging I found him condescending, supercilious and sneering. The Tories and New Labour will love him

I like your posts Coco. Dive straight in to attacking me. Fair play. I'll answer reasonably.

My point was on the fact that the parties are in general attracting better candidates for Holyrood. Which is excellent.

I'm a huge fan of strong politicians and strong candidates. I like Tommy Shepherd and Joanna Cherry. I think Jamie Hepburn MSP has also been a stand out back bencher for his party. The Liberal Tim Farron I have time for, I also think Tavish Scott has been a good performer at Holyrood and that Willie Rennie has been right to stick to his guns on Police Scotland and education in Scotland, he was ahead of the pack in his criticism of these policy areas. Kezia Dugdale and Jenny Marra have been bright lights for Labour in bleak times and Neil Findlay has been a passionate campaigner for his causes, ahead of his own party Nd the wider Holyrood establishment on black listing, housing and the cost of living.

What's your problem with me appreciating strong politicians who contribute to Scottish political life well.

I have a lot of time for Tomkins as an academic. I've seen him speak and I've never thought him too sneering or whatever. He was quite witty. In fact a friend of mine studied in his class and found him personable. I think Salmond was bombastic, argumentative, disagreeable and up him self, but I know people who've met him and have a different view entirely.

Tomkins is a divisive academic. It's why I and other students were drawn to his work. I was taught by a man who held opposite views and often did his work down. In that field you need to take all views on and form your own, as I did. I know people who don't like him at all, as I say he's divisive. Peat Worrier will disagree with him and others will too. But that's academia. All valid in their views. Form yours from a broad range of sources.

Anyway, I voted for Corbyn. Can't be much further from New Labour triangulation politics the SNP have adopted than that!

But, aye Holyrood should be improved from higher calibre candidates in all parties. All I'm saying.

Have a good one Coco!

I agree, most of the best of the SNP candidates are down in Westminster, a bit like the Labour Party a few years ago.

I totally agree with you that the SNP have dilemma on that one, only time will tell?

Yup totally true.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to the clear out of a lot of poor politicians at Holyrood next year and better ones stepping up. Will be good for all scots regardless of your views.