New striker in this week?

Musemic

Do we really need a new striker though? We've got El Hassanoui, Carrick, Sow, Keatings, Buchanan and Oliver (admittedly the last two are fringe players) and Patterson can help out when required. We are 15pts ahead and therefore I don't think we have to suddenly get strikers in as a knee-jerk reaction (that's not to mean I'm complacent though). I know that's not necessarily what the article/Robbie is suggesting but I'd rather we keep the money in the bank and just wait for our existing strikers to become available again. Just my opinion and I will be more than happy with whatever Levein/Robbie suggest.

If Robbie thinks we need a new striker, who are we to question him ?

The guy has proved himself all season - I trust him to make the right decisions ........

Oh, c'mon. You know it will be hilarious if we get a new striker in time for the Hibs match and he scores a couple, or better still does a De Vries.

And after Keatings has ran himself into the ground, then Carrick if he's on the bench, can come on for the last ten and help himself.

:sweeet:

Fair point well made!! A de Vries-esqe performance from a striker making his debut would be absolutely amazing!

Heartsfc_1874

But the sound of a new striker tearing hibs a new one (de vries) . One thing I think we all know is this new st will have some physicality about him ??

Dr Ian Malcolm

Sow and Carrick can't be relied upon to be available on a regular basis (not a criticism - just bad luck) and El Hass, frankly, isn't worth a regular start on his showing thus far. A fit striker for he second half of the season makes sense. Would imagine it's likely to be a loan.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If Carrick was match fit, and playing in behind Keatings, can you imagine what state Paul Hanlon would be after 75 minutes never mind fultime? They'd ragdoll their backline for pace and movement.

Keatings on his own will give them more trouble next week with his movement, than they've had in ages.

Agree. Carrick and Keatings fully fit would cause them a hell of a lot more problems than they have had this season, imo. First derby they stuck that big mutant Nelson on Sow and man marked him. Good luck anyone trying to man Mark Keats and Carrick when they are both fit and up to speed.

Do we really need a new striker though? We've got El Hassanoui, Carrick, Sow, Keatings, Buchanan and Oliver (admittedly the last two are fringe players) and Patterson can help out when required. We are 15pts ahead and therefore I don't think we have to suddenly get strikers in as a knee-jerk reaction (that's not to mean I'm complacent though). I know that's not necessarily what the article/Robbie is suggesting but I'd rather we keep the money in the bank and just wait for our existing strikers to become available again. Just my opinion and I will be more than happy with whatever Levein/Robbie suggest.

There were some similar comments made about Eckersley when he signed (McHattie/Wilson/McGhee can play LB) and look how that's turned out. Even if new striker doesn't start for 2-3 weeks he'll be pushing those ahead of him to do even better, and that can only be a positive thing.

Carrick back is more exciting news, imo. A new striker could go either way, we know what Carrick is capable of.

This.

I believe he's one of our best players. Can't wait for him to be back.

The Old Tolbooth

Yes, yes we do need a new striker, Sow looks like he's out for the season, Carrick has done his hammy, Hass looks like he's very mediocre, and we've had to rely on young Oliver today to get us through to the end of the game, we're desperately short up front, so a striker is what we need. 

Maybe we'll fold when we don't have injuries and suspensions.  That must have been what our critics meant but just failed to clearly articulate.

Happy to see a new striker coming in to cover for ongoing injuries and suspensions.  That will work a treat.

We need to pull an OF type trick and see if there are any skint clubs who have a striker with decent figures for the season. A bit harsh but that's business. 

Yes, yes we do need a new striker, Sow looks like he's out for the season, Carrick has done his hammy, Hass looks like he's very mediocre, and we've had to rely on young Oliver today to get us through to the end of the game, we're desperately short up front, so a striker is what we need.

You really think Sow is out for the rest of the season? Very disappointing if that turns out to be the case.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Even if we had won the league signing players is crucial. You must keep up momentum, keep everyone on their toes, release the dross. Stay one step ahead of the competition.

You don't necessarily have to need a player. Its quite beyond belief that the football manager gamemasters on here are calling into question a manager who has dropped 4 points all season. Absolutely bonkers.

But the sound of a new striker tearing hibs a new one (de vries) . One thing I think we all know is this new st will have some physicality about him ??

A. McCoist certainly fits that description.

tartofmidlothian

If Robbie thinks we need a new striker, who are we to question him ?

The guy has proved himself all season - I trust him to make the right decisions ........

Was going to try and explain why, but you've nailed it there.

Although worth pointing out that a couple of periods have seen us only an injury away from playing kids or having no strikers at all. A new striker's a no-brainer for a team in our position chasing a title.

Would it worth be bringing someone in on a season loan?

We do have quite a lot of strikers tbf, we've just been unlucky with injuries.

There's also a lot of goals in that team, it's not an area we're hugely struggling in.

scott herbertson

Would it worth be bringing someone in on a season loan?

We do have quite a lot of strikers tbf, we've just been unlucky with injuries.

There's also a lot of goals in that team, it's not an area we're hugely struggling in.

The next three matches are the critical ones here - so I would suggest we want someone pretty short term - end of season loan , unless the management team have identified someone who can bring long term sell on value or development potential

tartofmidlothian

Is Beattie playing for anyone just now?

Ayr United, apparently. Four goals in twelve league games.

Do a job? :ninja:

We need to pull an OF type trick and see if there are any skint clubs who have a striker with decent figures for the season. A bit harsh but that's business.

Miller or Boyd possibly...

Skink club = check

Strikers = check

Decent figures = nope

tartofmidlothian

Carrick back is more exciting news, imo. A new striker could go either way, we know what Carrick is capable of.

:spoton:

If all our strikers had been fit all season he'd be our top scorer.

tartofmidlothian

Great quote from Mr N.

?If we do, then great, if we don?t, then I?m quite happy to wait until later in the month.

?You need to make sure it?s the right person that comes in. If it?s the right person on the first of January, then that?s great. If it?s the right person on the last day of January, then so be it.

?We?ve got our eye on three or four guys and hopefully we?ll get something tied up.?

I think we'll be okay without one, but as the club said a month ago they had cash for a striker it would be naive to think they hadn't planned it. I bet they've two or three prime targets and will initiate contact as soon as they are permitted.

I don't think it will be a loan player unless it's a loan for the remainder of his deal.

If we sign someone better than we already have then it will be worth it.

No point risking a 15pt gap to keep 30k in the bank when the benefits of going up outweigh staying in this division

kingantti1874

With almost constant injuries for spe and carrick and keating injured for a large part of the season I genuinely believe we do need one... We've been struggling a little to put teams away in the same way we were when big sow was available

serious doubts re Carricks ability to stay fit. Last couple of seasons he has missed more games than he has played. Could be our version of Jack Wilshire. Great prospect but body not quite strong enough to sustain and fulfil the potential.

Who knows what our manager is thinking?

Maybe he doesn't rate El Hass? Is Sow further away from a comeback than we think?

And Dale Carrick could be having continual problems recovering......who knows?

But RN obviously feels we need someone and if we can afford it, do it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

serious doubts re Carricks ability to stay fit. Last couple of seasons he has missed more games than he has played. Could be our version of Jack Wilshire. Great prospect but body not quite strong enough to sustain and fulfil the potential.

Who knows, maybe you're right. However, I think people are too quick to assume this about players. Driver and Gordon spring to mind. It's frustrating when players you like miss games, but until there is something a bit more definitive to back up their future lack of fitness, I'll be giving the benefit of the doubt.

30k I'm looking for a 2million+ striker

It will be a free transfer, wages in line with ret of our squad.

Big name signing or ann budget oot

Us looking at 4 players is worrying tho?, I'm hoping they mean looking at 4 with a pose to bringing in one of they 4, surely our budget doesn't stretch to 4!

Jambof3tornado

Can we afford not to bring someone in? Yes we accounted for more than a season in the championship but investing in another striker could see us tie up the league nice and early (I know some posters think its all done already!).

Cant believe some see it as a problem to bring in a player...... how times have changed.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Us looking at 4 players is worrying tho?, I'm hoping they mean looking at 4 with a pose to bringing in one of they 4, surely our budget doesn't stretch to 4!

He means they are aiming to bring in one, and that they are weighing up the merits of a few possible players, to get the right one in.

It's one of four. We're not looking at bringing in 4 strikers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised Nielson said anything, I'd prefer he never said anything or gave a general statement unless there's a message in it for the players. I think we need a dominant centre back. We look dodgy at crossed balls, Alexander not great at them recently either.

Even if we had won the league signing players is crucial. You must keep up momentum, keep everyone on their toes, release the dross. Stay one step ahead of the competition.

You don't necessarily have to need a player. Its quite beyond belief that the football manager gamemasters on here are calling into question a manager who has dropped 4 points all season. Absolutely bonkers.

correct and on the money :)

tartofmidlothian

Surprised Nielson said anything, I'd prefer he never said anything or gave a general statement unless there's a message in it for the players. I think we need a dominant centre back. We look dodgy at crossed balls, Alexander not great at them recently either.

We've conceded 8 league goals all season and only 2 since last time we played Hibs. Don't reckon it's a priority myself, we've got four good players who can go there and I believe Buaben can even play CB in an emergency.

Archived