Fives for fitness and fun

Norm

I do pretty much no exercise. None. Not unless you include walking up Drumbrae from Barnton Junction 3 times a week and walking to the play park and back with the kids. I'm not fat, mainly because I have 1, maybe 2 meals a day. But I want to get fit.

The gym is a no go because I find it hard to exercise for the sake of exercising so I'm left with sport and fives as the obvious choice.

Except any time I've been able to get a game, it's been with folk who take it quite seriously. The kind who get angry and arsey when you **** up a pass.

Are there any fives teams or leagues out there that do it primarily for a laugh and a work out?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlphonseCapone

• William H. Bonney

• Stuart McNeill

• Ryan Jarman

Notorious BIG

Drop itsnomarooned a Pm he is looking for players was playing a few weeks back before i done my ankle in, plays a thursday night 730

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart McNeill

Be quiet interested in this as well, same problem as yourself, people getting pissed off too easily when you dont do absolutely amazing.

the sub goalie

Heard on talk sport that power league have a database you can register to that matches up players with teams that are short or makes teams out of guys looking for a kick about.

Worth a look guys.

Drop itsnomarooned a Pm he is looking for players was playing a few weeks back before i done my ankle in, plays a thursday night 730

Where do they play? Ta.

Sighthill mate

Cheers ... schedule works but it's the opposite side of town for me.  Pity.

Yeah this. He had a thread on here a couple of months ago which I replied to and I've been playing most weeks since. Games are fairly competitive but it's not taken too seriously, there's a good balance and as you say it's no fun when you're playing with people who piss and moan at the slightest thing.

Having said that I'm up for playing more than once a week so if anyone has something similar I'm all ears. Preferably at Sighthill or Corn Exchange.

I'll add a few...

the baw greedy bassa who runs around in circles, doesnt pass but still cant score.

The deviants who use the board as a way to get the ball past you as they dont have any real skills.

the bellchief who never goes in goals.

And the tit who has an excellent shot but thats all he has, shoots fae anywhere and usually scores

5's will get you up to speed quite quickly.  Started playing twice a week about 2 months ago and would always be blowing out my arse after 10 minutes.  Now I can do the whole game without feeling like I'm going to die :lol:

Constantly switching between sprinting and jogging for over an hour is quite a good wee workout!

chuck berrys hairline

Up for this can travel in but would be interested to see if we can get numbers through livi way.

Used to be a kickbackabout on a sunday night at Craigswood sports centre.

Up for this can travel in but would be interested to see if we can get numbers through livi way.

Used to be a kickbackabout on a sunday night at Craigswood sports centre.

+1 for Livi

The deviants who use the board as a way to get the ball past you as they dont have any real skills.

This is the only way I can get past people. Take this away from me and I have nothing.

Pretty shan.

This is the only way I can get past people. Take this away from me and I have nothing.

Pretty shan.

Same... Even then I have little pace to get round them :(

Had too many for 5's this week, so we're playing 7's instead.

Yesterday was Leg Day and I can barely walk up the stairs.  This is going to be fun! :lol:

Creepy Lurker

Yesterday was Leg Day and I can barely walk up the stairs. This is going to be fun! :lol:

Dyel?

7-asides mixed age (18-40+) and ability

8pm soccer city mayfield every Sunday

Players wanted! It's a well established weekly kick about but recently have few regulars with other commitments.

Spaces this Sunday! Anyone interested Please get in touch

Players wanted! It's a well established weekly kick about but recently have few regulars with other commitments.

I'll get back to you tonight about this, I'm interested but not sure for this Sunday,

I'll get back to you tonight about this, I'm interested but not sure for this Sunday,

Great really need to add to our pool of regular players. If you are reliable and can make most weeks would be great.

The large 7-aside pitch (indoor 3G turf) is perfect as it means you have room to run about and get involved or sit at the back for a wee breather if need be.

Great really need to add to our pool of regular players. If you are reliable and can make most weeks would be great.

The large 7-aside pitch (indoor 3G turf) is perfect as it means you have room to run about and get involved or sit at the back for a wee breather if need be.

I'm unfit 35 and not very good, but used to play 5's a lot. Will astro trainers do, how much is it

+1 for livi. Would be up for getting Sunday night's started up again.

+1.

Same, was a decent game when it lasted.

There's a new place just down from there next to screw fix opening on Monday called 36Fives, 4 'indoor' 4g pitches - cheaper than craigswood aswell I think.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

I'm unfit 35 and not very good, but used to play 5's a lot. Will astro trainers do, how much is it

That's fine, you'll fit right in. Age and ability very mixed

Trainers or moulded football boots is fine. Its ?5 each. (on the basis of a free games every so often, we usually have a few quid left over which goes into a small kitty to cover no shows etc or to pay for a free week if we save up enough)

That's fine, you'll fit right in. Age and ability very mixed

Trainers or moulded football boots is fine. Its ?5 each. (on the basis of a free games every so often, we usually have a few quid left over which goes into a small kitty to cover no shows etc or to pay for a free week if we save up enough)

I'll let you know tonight after i speak to the boss of the house

BoJack Horseman

How do you get into football as an adult? Played very very little, if any at all as a youth, wouldn't mind a kickabout, but can't bring myself to attempt to kick a ball in front of my peers for fear of embarrassment. 

I messed my knee up playing 11's at the end of July and have only played once since then and that was a bit of a mare (thought I was recovering but turned out not to be the case so went in goals!) Would potentially be up for this if my knee could handle it though! Used to have a weekly game but that fell apart and actually miss it a lot!

I messed my knee up playing 11's at the end of July and have only played once since then and that was a bit of a mare (thought I was recovering but turned out not to be the case so went in goals!) Would potentially be up for this if my knee could handle it though! Used to have a weekly game but that fell apart and actually miss it a lot!

We take it in turn in goals so you could have longer spell between the sticks if u felt u needed it.

You are more than welcome along to take it easy and see how it goes.

How do you get into football as an adult? Played very very little, if any at all as a youth, wouldn't mind a kickabout, but can't bring myself to attempt to kick a ball in front of my peers for fear of embarrassment. 

If im honest must be tricky in this country where by adulthood most of us have had a bit of exposure to playing football.

If you have really never played before maybe try 'walking football' its designed for veteran players to still get a game but the slower pace might mean you get to grips with things a bit more? (no offence intended, i hope that doesnt sound patronising)

If you can do the basics (If you can make a simple challenge and play a basic side footed pass you will do just fine) we'd welcome you along to our game. we have some good players involved most should be quite accomodating.

We had one guy start coming about 18months ago (late-30s) his ability was limited. Fast forward to now and he is one of the best defenders. Just does the simple stuff but he loves making a tackle and really enjoys it, he has even started getting on the score sheet!

Stuart McNeill

If im honest must be tricky in this country where by adulthood most of us have had a bit of exposure to playing football.

If you have really never played before maybe try 'walking football' its designed for veteran players to still get a game but the slower pace might mean you get to grips with things a bit more? (no offence intended, i hope that doesnt sound patronising)

If you can do the basics (If you can make a simple challenge and play a basic side footed pass you will do just fine) we'd welcome you along to our game. we have some good players involved most should be quite accomodating.

We had one guy start coming about 18months ago (late-30s) his ability was limited. Fast forward to now and he is one of the best defenders. Just does the simple stuff but he loves making a tackle and really enjoys it, he has even started getting on the score sheet!

Wouldnt be able to make it too mayfield unfortunately.

out of curiosity, how many could go to the pitz at sighthill or corn exchange? 

August Landmesser

I'd be up for a regular game too, moving house just now but once things settle down in January I'd be able to make it. Will be living in Leith but happy to travel a bit.

38, vaguely fit, played at Uni but not for years, gk with catlike reflexes and an rb with occasional forays forward

Arthur Mitchell

I would be up for a sporadic game if anyone is struggling for players.  Mayfield/Sighthill are good for me.

I play 4 times a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday afternoon) as it is so couldn't commit all the time.

Samuel Camazzola

I run a regular game on Tuesday evenings at Peffermill 5-a-side 3G and will be looking to bolster the pool of players with reliable guys for when we re-commence playing in mid to late January.

It's a decent standard with the age range covering 20 - 40. Good bunch of guys.

Yesterday was Leg Day and I can barely walk up the stairs.  This is going to be fun! :lol:

I'm looking for a game in Dundee if you are ever short

The Future's Maroon

I'll add a few...

the baw greedy bassa who runs around in circles, doesnt pass but still cant score.

the bellchief who never goes in goals.

And the tit who has an excellent shot but thats all he has, shoots fae anywhere and usually scores

I have a guy in my game who is exactly like that.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

I'm looking for a game in Dundee if you are ever short

We usually play Wednesday afternoons with a bunch of us from Uni, although the day really depends on how many we have available :lol:

The skill level is low to medium at best - will give you a shout if we're ever short (which is likely).  

Sometimes play 7's as well and we definitely need a few other, had to play 6 on 7 the other day and it was far too one sided!

We usually play Wednesday afternoons with a bunch of us from Uni, although the day really depends on how many we have available :lol:

The skill level is low to medium at best - will give you a shout if we're ever short (which is likely).  

Sometimes play 7's as well and we definitely need a few other, had to play 6 on 7 the other day and it was far too one sided!

I'd be looking more at evenings during the week, or Friday afternoons, with work. 

Will PM you my number if you are needing anyone.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Bumping this for my other half. He'd looking fof. 5's at Sighthill but works till 8pm on Thursday. His fitness level is good even though he's approaching mid 40's. He admits he's bit a great player so isn't looking for anything too serious.

Cheers