What have you achieved in life so far?

Ragnar

Among those amazing achievements, how high up the list is running yourself over? ;)

(well done with the rest o it btw)

Probably the thing I'm most proud of. Stuck it in the middle there, just so people wouldn't think I was bragging about my driving.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Masonic

• Tazio

• PsychocAndy

• Ortarkod

bigladatthebackpost

I built a chicken run this week and now have chickens .

Chickens??!!

Hah! Never mind all the lives you've saved, babies you've delivered, extreme situations you've handled....

Chickens.

Sheesh.

Chickens??!!

Hah! Never mind all the lives you've saved, babies you've delivered, extreme situations you've handled....

Chickens.

Sheesh.

LOL, thats my job mate, chickens on the other hand that takes hard work and determination, :-)

Managed to stop smoking 6 times , grew a cracking moustache for Movember 2 years ago ,was triple jump champion in 2nd year in high school. Helped to save Hearts.

Governor Tarkin

In the mid-70?s my then fiance?s dad told her that I was a waster and wouldn?t amount to much, so she left me. At the time he was probably right.

Got a decent job and after various promotions, jacked it in and went back to university. Now have an honours degree, a masters degree and a PhD. Spent years doing field work driving round southern Africa, clocking up nearly 200,000kms. Cooked every night on an open fire. Been stalked by lions and had to ?push? dozens of elephants out of my way. Lived in a caravan in Mozambique for over a year on the edge of the Indian Ocean. Written a book, published over 20 papers of original scientific research and have been a scientific advisor to KwaZuluNatal, Gauteng and Western Cape Provincial governments. Been taught to use an R4 assault rifle, a 0.458 hunting rifle and a Magnum handgun. Run over twice, once by my own vehicle in Mozambique. Now live in New Zealand, where I have a small farm, am associate editor for a leading international scientific journal and a research associate at an NZ university.

I always have time to remember my ex-fiance?s dad though.

A life less ordinary.

Nice one :)

• 7 months later...

I finally left my job in the bookies, after landing myself a really good job in my degree field, that pays a really impressive starting salary for someone that has literally just started with no experience.  I'll also get to finish my Masters, which was a worry when taking up full time employment.

I passed my test and finally bought a car in February.

I'm writing a research paper which I'll hopefully get to present at the ASSETS conference in Nevada in October.

All in all, it's been a good couple of months :thumbsup:

Bridge of Djoum

Served 7 years in the military, including the 1st Gulf War.

Gained an engineering degree.

I have one continent yet to visit, (Antarctica).

Lived in several countries, now settled in NYC.

Conquered my anxiety and resulting panic attacks, albeit an ongoing process.

Quit smoking 4 years ago after a 20 year habit.

Failed miserably at my 1st marriage, (lasted 15 months), 2nd is going great, we have 2 little girls.

All in all, pretty happy. 

deesidejambo

Became a Ski Instructor at 53.   Shite money but the best job I've ever had.   And often out in howling gales and/or pouring rain.  In fact I take it back - its bollocks.  No money, no tips, no work in summer, and pay for my own training.   And I smell like a dirty fish-tank when I come home after a days work.     Broke my collar-bone demonstrating a technique to a class and spent 22 hours in Casualty, apparently an Aberdeen record.

Apart from that its fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Just submitted my book to a publisher in the hope that they will publish it.

How to drink a lot very regularly?

:D

Good luck!

I've co-authored a chapter for a book that is being published next month.  Quite proud of that!

Living until the age of 50 come the 24th May.

I wouldn't jump the gun too soon....

:kirk:

Bowmans_Boot

Genuinely, best of luck with that :)  It would be amazing to see a book you had written on sale!

Me? Well I'm 30, recently become a dad. Own two properties, two cars, zero debt, and I left school without any decent qualifications. and I've been with my girlfriend for 10 years.I'm happy with that

iantjambo

Me? Well I'm 30, recently become a dad. Own two properties, two cars, zero debt, and I left school without any decent qualifications. and I've been with my girlfriend for 10 years.I'm happy with that

That's brilliant mate

Ya Dick :P

John Findlay

Like many was brought up in a scheme. In my case mainly Royston and West Pilton with a year's sabbatical in Grace mount. Left school at 16 after sitting my O Grades way back in 1979. Just turned 53.

From 16-27 was in the Royal Navy. Reached the dizzy height of CY (communications Yeoman (Petty Officer)). Was in the Falklands Conflict aboard HMS Intrepid. Spent to many days in San Carlos water, nicknamed Bomb Alley. Left UK April 15th 1982 and next set foot on land 14th July 1982. Went to the Gulf twice onboard HMS Andromeda. 1st time helped save the Merchant Ship Spice Emerald as in putting the fires out onboard her after she was hit by a Scud Missile whilst transiting the Straits of Hurmouz. Two oldest kids through Uni. Have played football from Norway to the Falkland Islands and the USA to Oman. Climbed Mt Kenya in 1988 whilst on two weeks R and R in Mombasa. I've not done to badly. Been one very fortunate guy. Very lucky.

That's brilliant mate

Ya Dick :P

:lol: mortgage is a debt I suppose.

Captain Sausage

Got a masters degree with distinction in engineering.

Bought my dream house.

Married an amazing girl.

Debt free.

Youngest chartered engineer in a large multinational.

• 3 years later...
Brighton Jambo

I’ve written two novels set in Ancient Rome.  Made an unexpected nice few quid from the first and about to get the second edited.  

Left school at 15 with one o level.

Joined the Royal Air Force and moved up here.

17 years with Post Office, wrote some theatre and TV stuff for schools in the 90’s.

Started current job in 2002 and will retire in 3 or 4 years.

Started playing in a Classic Rock covers band this year and just had our 2nd gig. I’m closer to 60 than 50 but f’n love it!

Ive been married to the great love of my life for 33 years and been with her for near 40.

I have a daughter who fills my heart with joy and, despite some very serious health issues throughout her life has built a great life for herself in Canada. She is probably my greatest achievement 

I consider myself a very fortunate man.

Supporting Hearts & West Ham is a kick in the f’n nuts though 😀

Edited by Jamhammer

Governor Tarkin
On 06/05/2016 at 20:42, Captain Sausage said:

Got a masters degree with distinction in engineering.

Bought my dream house.

Married an amazing girl.

Debt free.

Youngest chartered engineer in a large multinational.

Good work, laddie.

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I’ve written two novels set in Ancient Rome.  Made an unexpected nice few quid from the first and about to get the second edited.  

Fantastic stuff!

I assume your novels make better reading than your posts. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

And I've still achieved feck all...   default_sob.png

There's time yet, mate. 👍

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 20:27, CostaJambo said:

Managed to achieve my career target of a very good salary with very little responsibility or stress. Hope it lasts.

Two countries later, still not been found out yet!

Bridge of Djoum

Just before I left New York I took the hump with my employer. Stalling for 2 years plus in offering us better terms and conditions. As I was leaving anyway, (unbeknown to them) I thought...**** you. It was good money anyway, great health and dental insurance despite being non-union, it just pissed me off they were ignoring us over the details of our contracts. I spoke to my wee team, ( 7 of us in all) and they agreed I'd take on my bosses. I threatened to go to the union that covered our industry, which they didn't appear to relish the prospect of. I made a good case outlined the union contract for them, and the revised terms they were getting for their next deal. At the end of 3 walks of meetings I got my team a 20 percent rise, an extra weeks holiday, slightly better health coverage and 2 extra personal days. On top of that an agreement to discuss new contracts every 18 months. With the pay rise, our bonuses and overtime rates also went up. I was immensly proud of my efforts, i'd never negotiated contracts before and I went in pretty blind really. I just did my homework and spoke to as many industry people as I could, as well as labor lawyers. 

Thing is, I'd never spoken to any union rep about organizing. It was a bluff. 

pharmaceutical01

Not sure if it is an achievement but certainly the hardest thing I have faced. 
Caring for my wife while she deteriorates with a degenerative disease while bringing up two girls and running a business. Did some other stuff before that but not important now

10 hours ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Not sure if it is an achievement but certainly the hardest thing I have faced. 
Caring for my wife while she deteriorates with a degenerative disease while bringing up two girls and running a business. Did some other stuff before that but not important now

Keep at it.  It must be hard quite often and my heart goes out to you, your two girls and to your wife.

pharmaceutical01
5 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Keep at it.  It must be hard quite often and my heart goes out to you, your two girls and to your wife.

Thanks Sydney..it is difficult times but everybody has them

The Real Maroonblood
On 21/08/2015 at 03:40, spud said:

In the mid-70?s my then fiance?s dad told her that I was a waster and wouldn?t amount to much, so she left me. At the time he was probably right.

Got a decent job and after various promotions, jacked it in and went back to university. Now have an honours degree, a masters degree and a PhD. Spent years doing field work driving round southern Africa, clocking up nearly 200,000kms. Cooked every night on an open fire. Been stalked by lions and had to ?push? dozens of elephants out of my way. Lived in a caravan in Mozambique for over a year on the edge of the Indian Ocean. Written a book, published over 20 papers of original scientific research and have been a scientific advisor to KwaZuluNatal, Gauteng and Western Cape Provincial governments. Been taught to use an R4 assault rifle, a 0.458 hunting rifle and a Magnum handgun. Run over twice, once by my own vehicle in Mozambique. Now live in New Zealand, where I have a small farm, am associate editor for a leading international scientific journal and a research associate at an NZ university.

I always have time to remember my ex-fiance?s dad though.

I know this post is over 4 years old but it was very uplifting.

You certainly have done remarkably well.

Great stuff.

👍

SectionDJambo

Getting near to retirement now. Wonder where the years went.

Never not had a job. Brought up 2 great boys, with my wife, who are carrying on the family tradition of Hearts. Always tried to be respectful of other people and cultures. There’s plenty things I would have liked to have done, but haven’t managed yet.

As the old angel said, I think, in “It’s a Wonderful Life”, any man who has made friends has achieved much. Different people reach different career and life goals. If you have been a good person, who others liked, then you have achieved plenty.
Don’t put yourself down too easily.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Getting near to retirement now. Wonder where the years went.

Never not had a job. Brought up 2 great boys, with my wife, who are carrying on the family tradition of Hearts. Always tried to be respectful of other people and cultures. There’s plenty things I would have liked to have done, but haven’t managed yet.

As the old angel said, I think, in “It’s a Wonderful Life”, any man who has made friends has achieved much. Different people reach different career and life goals. If you have been a good person, who others liked, then you have achieved plenty.
Don’t put yourself down too easily.

Great post.

I have more or less mirrored what you have posted.

15 hours ago, Smithee said:

I once saw a crow eating a shite

I once saw a man eating fish...

..and chips :P 

On 19/11/2019 at 18:17, Brighton Jambo said:

Well done. What's the first one called?

PM if you'd prefer not to reveal your real name publicly. Unless you write as Brighton Jambo!

Edited by Flimsy

Reached the age of 56 in good health.

Survived, two wars, two marriages, two divorces, three children, the youngest born when I was 45, two grandchildren. Climbed Mount Kenya. Been in both Ar tic and Antarctic circles. Crossed the Equator, North to South and South to North. Most of all been a Hearts supporter as in attending games for 53 years and lived to tell the tale.

pharmaceutical01
14 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

My heart goes out to you and your dear family. 

Thanks Jon. Very kind ....don’t really like talking about it as I know everybody has their own problems. Know I am not alone in that ...still get to see most of the home games!

What an amazing and often inspiring thread, nowt as interesting as folks..... some impressive material and personal achievements, great read.

Jambof3tornado

Helped a dying woman with a final wish to visit the site where she had scattered her sons ashes a few years earlier. Her family wrote a very moving letter to my bosses, which would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Its not much but the joy in her eyes when I offered her the opportunity she thought she would never get is without doubt one of the best things I've ever done.

Left school at 15 with nothing, average standard grade results. Had a few poorly paid jobs but now i earning pretty good money, bought a house, own 2 cars, booked our wedding and have a wee dug. Nothing spectacular but it's all good.

I try to live within a framework of ethics and moral standards and to some extent I've achieved this. I've cared for sick and elderly family and friends and often given up on material things to achieve this. Sadly this thread is further evidence that the human race is morally bankrupt. 

Edited by SE16 3LN

2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I try to live within a framework of ethics and moral standards and to some extent I've achieved this. I've cared for sick and elderly family and friends and often given up on material things to achieve this. Sadly this thread is further evidence that the human race is morally bankrupt. 

I must have come quite late to this thread, but read it through a few days ago.

To me there’s nothing as interesting as peoples life story and yes everyone is different but out with a few overly materialistic comments i really don't see where the conclusion that the “human race is morally bankrupt “ comes from ??

?

Governor Tarkin
21 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

I am in my 40s, and I kept going. 

Excellent work.  🤘

5 hours ago, Fourcandles said:

I must have come quite late to this thread, but read it through a few days ago.

To me there’s nothing as interesting as peoples life story and yes everyone is different but out with a few overly materialistic comments i really don't see where the conclusion that the “human race is morally bankrupt “ comes from ??

?

I agree with this completely.

The good stuff comes in under the radar. Everywhere I look there are unremarkable people doing remarkable things.