What have you achieved in life so far?

Ragnar

On 18/11/2014 at 13:08, Locky said:

Although the OP said things like buying a house or getting married doesn't count, some might view having kids in the same light.

But, I don't think people would appreciate until they experience it. I'm 21 and my wee girl is nearly 18 months but just seeing the things I've taught her is enough to make me feel like I've done something in life.

Tear to a glass eye stuff for many, but if I can see her grow up and live a life of her own then that's enough achievement in my life to keep me happy.

She's 6 now and has come to Tynecastle 3 times. Most recently at the St Midden game just passed. First time she's seen us win...

Since that post though, I've barely achieved **** all else. I've since started a career in Civil Service and I now run a men's amateur football club which has won a trophy which was a great feeling.

And I've earned a cracking beer belly!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Masonic

• Tazio

• PsychocAndy

• Ortarkod

22 hours ago, Fourcandles said:

I must have come quite late to this thread, but read it through a few days ago.

To me there’s nothing as interesting as peoples life story and yes everyone is different but out with a few overly materialistic comments i really don't see where the conclusion that the “human race is morally bankrupt “ comes from ??

?

From peoples comments they view achievement in material terms. I like peoples real life stories too, not the houses and cars they buy. We obviously see life from differing paradigms, which may be what its all about.

33 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

From peoples comments they view achievement in material terms. I like peoples real life stories too, not the houses and cars they buy. We obviously see life from differing paradigms, which may be what its all about.

I contributed to this thread some years ago now (Usual things , property , cars ,blah, blah, blah) and looking back it all seems meaningless now, having lost my partner this year I now realise none of the material things in life matter one little bit. 

8 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I contributed to this thread some years ago now (Usual things , property , cars ,blah, blah, blah) and looking back it all seems meaningless now, having lost my partner this year I now realise none of the material things in life matter one little bit. 

Very sorry to hear that, I hope you have people around you to give you the support you need. 

• 10 months later...
On 25/11/2019 at 16:23, Irufushi said:

That's so sad mate its true though no amount of objects or finance can replace someone you love. Took me into my mid 20s to realise that.

On 25/11/2019 at 08:13, Locky said:

She's 6 now and has come to Tynecastle 3 times. Most recently at the St Midden game just passed. First time she's seen us win...

Since that post though, I've barely achieved **** all else. I've since started a career in Civil Service and I now run a men's amateur football club which has won a trophy which was a great feeling.

And I've earned a cracking beer belly!

Can't even remember posting this. Ah well, I beat myself to an update.

Aside from the things mentioned above, I guess I can add travelling a bit too. Not done lots compared to some, but despite only going abroad for the 1st time 5 years ago, I've  managed to tick a good few countries off the list, and even managed to watch football in quite a few of them too. Still places I want to go and see but I'm very happy with what I've done so far.

I'll be 27 in less than 2 weeks. No idea really what else I want to actually achieve in life. I'd like to move up another pay grade at my work sometime soon. My current band really doesn't give me much financial freedom in my life. The next band up is £5k a year more, and that would honestly just be perfect.

Might not sound like the most exciting life plan, but honestly, if I can get to 40 and have security then I'll be happy. Having left school at 15, and moved out of my mums at 17, I've spent most of that time since knowing that I'm never far from being on the streets or potless. So, getting to a point in my life where I don't have to really worry about that would be great.

highlandjambo3

When I left school at 15 with no qualifications, I couldn’t walk and chew chewing gum at the same time......................

now I can 😀

31 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If a person has built a close, loving, caring family, he/she has hit the jackpot.

Everything else is secondary.

imo.

Indeed.

37 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

If a person has built a close, loving, caring family, he/she has hit the jackpot.

imo.

Yes so true, I done well career wise which was satisfying. There is no doubt though that having a loving true married life, with two excellent children and being able to provide a comfortable and happy home was most satisfying. I recently had a conversation with a nurse in a hospital, I told her at one point if Esther and I walked out that door, and turned back we would have had no reason to say we should have, there  was nothing that we could have or wanted to do that we did not do, we had attended to that completely.

On 17/11/2014 at 20:27, CostaJambo said:

Managed to achieve my career target of a very good salary with very little responsibility or stress. Hope it lasts.

Is that you, Neil? 

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

imo.

Good one, Ron.  👍

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good one, Ron.  👍

Thanks mate.

When things get bad, and I mean really bad, it's the family that get you through it.  Under those circumstances, the size of your house, owning a flashy car, having a healthy amount of money in the bank etc., etc., don't mean a thing.  Nothing!  @Sharpie knows what I'm getting at.

22 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Thanks mate.

When things get bad, and I mean really bad, it's the family that get you through it.  Under those circumstances, the size of your house, owning a flashy car, having a healthy amount of money in the bank etc., etc., don't mean a thing.  Nothing!  @Sharpie knows what I'm getting at.

You’re so right!

@Sharpie certainly, as far as one can gather in an Internet forum at least, seems to be coping with his devastating loss quite well.  Family means everything and, as you say, material items really mean nothing.

My four wonderful daughters (but boy , can girls be hard work sometimes).

Negotiating with the Soviet Govt in 1988 and arranging to bring 20 of the Chernobyl children to the UK in 1989 to be treated by Dr Karl Sikora at Hammersmith Hospital cancer unit (now Prof Sikora, on TV quite a bit re Covid). 

Weakened Offender
36 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Negotiating with the Soviet Govt in 1988 and arranging to bring 20 of the Chernobyl children to the UK in 1989 to be treated by Dr Karl Sikora at Hammersmith Hospital cancer unit (now Prof Sikora, on TV quite a bit re Covid). 

That is quite something to look back on fondly. ❤️

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Achievements?   I am a 'senior citizen.'   I woke up this morning and the bed was dry!   Score!

Did you leave the electric blanket on again 

2 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Achievements?   I am a 'senior citizen.'   I woke up this morning and the bed was dry!   Score!

:lol: