Anyone have a link to HMFC being 14th best supported in Britain

Strachsuit

I am in the middle of a hotly disputed debate with a colleague who denies the fact that we are the 14th biggest club in Britain in terms of support.

Can anyone remember the name of the researcher who carried this out and if so does anyone have a link to the page?

Sure the results were printed about 18 months ago or so, also Hearts have mentioned it on the website before.

QUICK! Before a Hobo gets the better of me!!

Is this what you're after?

MAGIC! Just got it up the Hibs khant! he canny take it big style m8!!

I am in the middle of a hotly disputed debate with a colleague who denies the fact that we are the 14th biggest club in Britain in terms of support.

Can anyone remember the name of the researcher who carried this out and if so does anyone have a link to the page?

Sure the results were printed about 18 months ago or so, also Hearts have mentioned it on the website before.

QUICK! Before a Hobo gets the better of me!!

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/490/

I have to advise against this, mate. Why? Because the sample size is 5,413! Can anyone tell me how on earth it's possible to extrapolate that we have 398,000 fans from such a sample? And sure enough, a quick google shows that the only club to be trumpeting this survey is, er, our own.

Sorry - but going on and on about this just makes us look very silly. I heard that the commercial side of the club actually believes it has a pool of around 85,000 people to market Hearts-related products at: and that sounds an awful lot more believable to me than 398,000.

chester copperpot
MAGIC! Just got it up the Hibs khant! he canny take it big style m8!!

You were wrong though, we're 18th best supported team, not 14th :ninja:

Scotland’s Most Popular Teams

"Rangers, with 1.430 million British supporters, and Celtic, with 1.406 million British supporters, dominate the Scottish Premier League in terms of support. Hearts (398,000) are the third most popular Scottish team followed by Aberdeen (278,000) and Hibernian (156,000). "

HOBOS officially a wee team!!!!!!!!!

I have to advise against this, mate. Why? Because the sample size is 5,413! Can anyone tell me how on earth it's possible to extrapolate that we have 398,000 fans from such a sample? And sure enough, a quick google shows that the only club to be trumpeting this survey is, er, our own.

Sorry - but going on and on about this just makes us look very silly. I heard that the commercial side of the club actually believes it has a pool of around 85,000 people to market Hearts-related products at: and that sounds an awful lot more believable to me than 398,000.

The actual figures can of course be debated, but that does not account for the number of people who lined the streets with Hearts related merchandise in May 1998 this accounted for a lot more than the figure you have quoted.

And I suppose the other most relevant point is the ratio between us and the wee team 2.5x seems about right to me, NO?

People were asked what their favourite football club was - not whether they attend games, or even if they would consider it.

I'd be interested to know at what point the sample size becomes adequate: 10,000; 100,000; 1,000,000 or the entire UK population.

If the survey is flawed it is equally flawed for every UK club - not just Hearts.

It wouldn't surprise me if 400,000 people in Edinburgh, the Lothians, Fife and the Borders favoured Hearts.

Even if the whole enterprise is utter bull****, which it isn't, why not just run with it. Hearts are the only club in Scotland with the latent support and potential to challenge the uglies - if we don't believe that who else (potential saviours included) will?

I agree but you are forgetting something. He is a hobo and did not look at the fine print - in fact, he couldnt read it so the chart with me pointing at Hearts then Hibs was the only thing he understood!

You were wrong though, we're 18th best supported team, not 14th :ninja:

Yeah I know. He didnt really make a big deal of it coz I simply said "still, we are a hell of a lot bigger than you I suppose" and he was too annoyed to reply!

The actual figures can of course be debated, but that does not account for the number of people who lined the streets with Hearts related merchandise in May 1998 this accounted for a lot more than the figure you have quoted.

And I suppose the other most relevant point is the ratio between us and the wee team 2.5x seems about right to me, NO?

No. I'd say it's more like 1.5, personally. And sure: we all remember the scenes in Edinburgh that weekend - but lo and behold, when we played Rangers in our first game the following season, Tynie was about 2,000 short of capacity. People will always enjoy being part of an event: take the continual sellouts at USA 94, for example - but how many of those attending were actually interested in football, and have remained so since? Far, far fewer I'm afraid.

I agree but you are forgetting something. He is a hobo and did not look at the fine print - in fact, he couldnt read it so the chart with me pointing at Hearts then Hibs was the only thing he understood!

LOL! I did wonder about that - and bearing that in mind, good on you my son! :)

all fingers and toes crossed if we think we're anywhere near 18th best supported team

Why not?

At the end of the day, I know Hearts supporters from all over the UK (I have friends in Sheffield, Kent and Wales who are all jambos) and the majority of English clubs supporters are only from that area.

Also, Tynie could have sold 30-40,000 for games in the past against Hibs but we are restricted by the capacity (not saying we would get it for all games) and a majority of Hearts "supporters" don't go to the game as they have the attitude of "we won't beat the old firm - so whats the point". Whereas in England, pretty much all clubs in the Prem & Championship feel they can win the games and they have something to play for. All to do with the attitude i suppose........

People were asked what their favourite football club was - not whether they attend games, or even if they would consider it.

I'd be interested to know at what point the sample size becomes adequate: 10,000; 100,000; 1,000,000 or the entire UK population.

If the survey is flawed it is equally flawed for every UK club - not just Hearts.

It wouldn't surprise me if 400,000 people in Edinburgh, the Lothians, Fife and the Borders favoured Hearts.

Even if the whole enterprise is utter bull****, which it isn't, why not just run with it. Hearts are the only club in Scotland with the latent support and potential to challenge the uglies - if we don't believe that who else (potential saviours included) will?

The emboldened bit I certainly agree with - but actually, I think people would be a lot more likely to take us seriously if we didn't go around trumpeting this deeply dubious survey. Again I point out: why were we the only club in the UK to make a big deal out of it, given the extraordinary numbers it came up with for others? And think about it: if each one of the 5413 was asked what their favourite club was, and the researchers somehow extrapolated from it that eight clubs had more than a million UK-based fans, Norwich (my English team) had 458,000 (my backside we do), and Hearts 398,000... sorry, but there's nowhere near enough of the sample size to go round. That's why I think it's tosh: it makes literally no methodological sense whatsoever.

Jimmy McNulty

Rangers supporters are:

* Over eight times as likely (706% more likely) to a member of the Church of Scotland.

* Over six times as likely (529% more likely) to read the Daily Record.

* 46% more likely to read the Daily Star.

* 34% more like to see their main goal in life is to have “A family life”.

* 32% more likely to agree “British beer is the only beer worth drinking”.

* 27% more likely to agree “I often buy frozen or chilled ready-prepared food”.

* 26% more likely to agree “I prefer beer to wine”.

* 25% more likely to watch “Who wants to be a Millionaire?”

* 19% more likely to agree “I buy the same food ever week”.

* 18% more likely to be single.

Hackney Hearts
when we played Rangers in our first game the following season, Tynie was about 2,000 short of capacity.

Most of us hadn't recovered from the hangover incurred in May!

(Actually a lot of people were still away on holiday)

But I wouldn't get hung up on one individual game - it's not a representative sample...

What about two whole seasons of sell-outs?

Rangers supporters are:

* Over eight times as likely (706% more likely) to a member of the Church of Scotland.

* Over six times as likely (529% more likely) to read the Daily Record.

* 46% more likely to read the Daily Star.

* 34% more like to see their main goal in life is to have ?A family life?.

* 32% more likely to agree ?British beer is the only beer worth drinking?.

* 27% more likely to agree ?I often buy frozen or chilled ready-prepared food?.

* 26% more likely to agree ?I prefer beer to wine?.

* 25% more likely to watch ?Who wants to be a Millionaire??

* 19% more likely to agree ?I buy the same food ever week?.

* 18% more likely to be single.

Hibernian supporters are:

-Over 17 times more likely to drink spilt beer from pub ashtrays

-38% more likely to describe heroin as their favourite spice

-56% more likely to shop at LIDL

-83% more likely to own your stolen DVD player

-100% less likely to have celebrated a Scottish Cup win

-4 times more likely to blow their rank-rotten TV career by being a sex beast

Hackney Hearts
Hibernian supporters are:

-100% less likely to have celebrated a Scottish Cup win

Indisputable.

I agree. There will be 400,000 people in Scotland who favour Hearts no doubt about that.

There is no doubt that Hearts have huge potential but we have never been able to sustain a genuine challenge for honours for a long enough time to get to a level where the best players don't need to be sold to our rivals.

Vlad could do this if he screws the nut.

Talking of crowds and fan base etc, i am sure that in season 85/86, Hearts where one of the top10 supported teams in Britain based on average gates.

Maybe someone can check this but i think Wallace Mercer made a big thing of it at the time and he claimed we could become bigger than celtic.

To be fair to Hibs, they lost a lot of fans making their way back from Hampden.

Buffalo Bill

...and to give Aberdeen some credit: most of their fans are in the Roseburn Stand when we play them.

Buffalo Bill

Most of us hadn't recovered from the hangover incurred in May!

(Actually a lot of people were still away on holiday)

But I wouldn't get hung up on one individual game - it's not a representative sample...

What about two whole seasons of sell-outs?

Fair point, and it's certainly shown what's possible. That said, having a stadium small enough whereby buying a ST was the only way to guarantee seeing a game clearly made it easier for crowds to rise - and this season, it'd be interesting to know what proportion of the gates were actually ST holders who had already paid but chose to stay away, and how many were actually at the games, if you see what I mean.

That's not to downplay what's been achieved, though: a 50% plus increase in average crowds is remarkable in anyone's language. A real question I have though is what happens in home games v Gretna, St Johnstone, St Mirren or Falkirk? We can't be expecting crowds of 23,000 in an expanded Tynie for those games, surely? Indeed, the only way I could see us meeting that target consistently is if every season in the new ground is comparable to 97/8 or 05/6 - which bearing in mind the advantages the OF will still have over us, is a very, very tough ask.

Hackney Hearts
a 50% plus increase in average crowds is remarkable in anyone's language

Never mind the 50% average increase, the increase in Hearts fans at CAT B games has been nearer 100%.

A real question I have though is what happens in home games v Gretna, St Johnstone, St Mirren or Falkirk? We can't be expecting crowds of 23,000 in an expanded Tynie for those games, surely?

If you'd suggested prior to Burley that we'd consistently get 17,000 for that type of game, I'd have thought you were mad (despite my generally optimistic outlook). I took Firework Phil's targets with a large pinch of salt.

But we did it. We surpassed anything I'd predicted - and that was without any cutting edge, all-singing, all-dancing, all-mod-cons super-stand to entice people with.

Because we can still get 30 - 40k demand for crucial must-see matches, a capacity of 23k still just about allows us to play the trump card of 'you have to get a season ticket to guarantee the big matches'. BUT ONLY IF THERE'S A PLAUSIBLE TEAM ON THE PARK (AND A MANAGER OFF IT).

Archived