Wigan James McLean refuses to wear poppy shirt

Chaps

So he 'takes part' in the silence? Why not also 'take part' in wearing the kit your club that pays your wages deems appropriate for that club?

There is a massive difference in "taking part" of a minutes silence and simply shutting your gob for 60 seconds, tell me have "taken part" in every minutes silence that have been held at games you have attended regardless who or what it was for?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute storm in a teacup all of this. Don't agree with him, but hey ho that's what he wants to do, then why give him the oxygen of publicity. He's best ignored.

Examples of Scotland?s War Losses

At Loos, on September 25, 1915, 36 of the 72 attacking battalions were Scottish and of the 12 participating battalions which suffered more than 500 casualties, eight were Scottish.

At the Battle of Arras, on April 9, 1917, the Official History noted that 44 of the 120 infantry battalions committed (36.6%) were Scottish (12 each in 15th and 51st Divisions); nine, including the South African Scottish in the 9th; six, including four Tyneside Scottish in the 34th; three in the 3rd; one in the 30th and 1/1 London Scottish in the 56th. Removing the Tynesiders, South Africans and London Scottish, all of which may not have had a majority of Scots, the remaining 39 Scottish battalions represents 32.5% of the attacking force.

Like all the UK's good Western Front assault divisions, 9th (Scottish), 15th (Scottish) and 51st (Highland) were deployed in crucial attacks more often than less competent divisions. Their war's end casualties reflected this. The 52nd (Lowland) served in the Middle East and, latterly, France.

One battle a war does not make.

http://scottishmilitary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/celebrating-scotlands-disproportionate.html?m=1

http://m.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/great-war-worst-for-scots-troops-a-myth-1-3504582

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Simply, of all weeks, this is a time to respect other peoples views, and to act with dignity.

Nucky Thompson

What a shit excuse, just because he's from a staunch republican, bigoted area. He is taking big bucks out of the English game, he should respect the country and cultures he is working in

Cairneyhill Jambo

I've not worn a poppy in years. As said in other threads, Armistice day is becoming more of a victory parade rather than remembrance of all those that have fallen in wars, not just British soldiers. Sometimes, I find the "British we won the war" attitude cringeworthy. That's not to say I don't appreciate our armed forces and what they do. I'll be wearing my McCraes Battalion badge with pride tomorrow.

All this obligatory and structured pish really risks devaluing the silently dignified shows of remembrance that will take place across the country from all sections of society. Mandated shows of respect mean little and those who wish not to be involved shouldn't need to explain themselves.

It's unlikely that any two people in Tynecastle this weekend during the silence will share the same thought process or emotion and for me that's exactly how remembrance should be.

Gregory House M.D.

With hindsight I doubt if many poppy wearers are proud of what was done to Dresden. But as others have pointed out, what is acceptable is a product of its time. In any event I'm pretty sure he doesn't condone the Dresden bombing either

Dresden wasn't acceptable in any time.

Wigan down 3-1 at present on Sky Sports 1 with McClean on as sub.

Lennon is turning things round at Bolton it would appear.

I've not worn a poppy in years. As said in other threads, Armistice day is becoming more of a victory parade rather than remembrance of all those that have fallen in wars, not just British soldiers. Sometimes, I find the "British we won the war" attitude cringeworthy. That's not to say I don't appreciate our armed forces and what they do. I'll be wearing my McCraes Battalion badge with pride tomorrow.

Excellent post. For me, Remembrance Day is not just about British soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice, it's about the many millions of young men across Europe whose lives were wasted in a needless war, regardless of which side of the divide they were fighting.

Gregory House M.D.

Did he say he supported the soldiers (actually they would be airmen) who took part in the Dresden bombing? And by wearing a poppy, are you condoning the Dresden bombing?

What he said was that he mourned the deaths of both WW1 and WW2 conflicts, but for his own reasons, cannot accept the poppy symbol.

I can accept that, but would rather he came out with his own way of showing respect, perhaps wearing a black armband.

Yes, he did. Given his explanation for not wearing a poppy. Or are the deaths of innocents more meaningful because of your country?

He's a brainwashed man. Like it or not. His explanation is nationality/locality based because of what he was told.

Those are the facts.

I'd respect him infinitely if he said it was because of wars and acts being glorified but he chose to highlight that incident.

I'd bet he knows nothing of Dresden or any other atrocity, but he's mentioned The Great War and WW2 to give his opinion more weight with the uneducated.

King Of The Cat Cafe

James McClean has a particular mindset in regard to the poppy, and it is one shared by many people in Ireland, North and South.

Many people on here may not like what he is saying, but he is being true to his conscience.

It is just a pity that something that was supposed to be a simple memorial has been so politicised by so many for so long.

Can I make it clear, I have no problem with people's personal choice to wear/not wear the poppy.

But for someone like McLean who thinks so strongly on this matter to sign for a club who are known to adorn the poppy on their shirt at this time of year and then to spit the dummy out and write a letter do sent sit right with me.

S others have said they work for companies who support the poppy but don't make every employee wear one to work, unfortunately McLean decided to be employed by a company who for one game a year have made it well known that the players kit for that day will have a poppy adorned on it.

McLean makes it an issue.

Dresden wasn't acceptable in any time.

And neither were Hiroshima or Nagasaki but in war horrific decisions must be made. They wouldn't have been the decisions I would have made but I understand the logic of forcing a swift end to conflict.

Nucky Thompson

Has there been a German player in British football who has ever refused to wear his teams poppy shirt?

Why does anyone have to justify themselves for not wearing a poppy? Every year football fans become dicks over poppies. Totally laughable.

Yes, he did. Given his explanation for not wearing a poppy.

But I'll continue to disagree on this point! Mourning the deaths of soldiers in a conflict does not equate to condoning the activities they took part in.

Gregory House M.D.

But I'll continue to disagree on this point! Mourning the deaths of soldiers in a conflict does not equate to condoning the activities they took part in.

That is MY point.

Before he signed for Wigan he should have asked if they would be wearing poppies on their shirt. At that point, he should have declined the contract offer due to his principles.

What a shit excuse, just because he's from a staunch republican, bigoted area. He is taking big bucks out of the English game, he should respect the country and cultures he is working in

That would be a culture or toleration and freedom of personal expression.

Has there been a German player in British football who has ever refused to wear his teams poppy shirt?

Did British soldiers open fire on a civil rights march killing 26 people in the process in Germany, that day like it or not is a huge black mark against our service men, you can argue all day who was present or not at that march but it is now widely known that our army was at fault for those killings of mostly innocent British civilians.

That is MY point.

Is it? If so, you aren't making a very coherent argument.

You bring up the subject of Dresden in a topic about James McLean and suggest that because he states that he mourns the deaths of soldiers that lost their lives in both world wars, he somehow condones the bombing of Dresden. Then when I say that mourning the deaths of soldiers doesn't mean you condone what they did, you tell me that was YOUR point.

Fly the Saltire

If he doesn't want to wear a poppy, he could always wear a white feather.

My great grandfather was gassed in WW1 while serving in Royal Scots and according to my grandfather never wore a poppy as he thought it was a pointless gesture despite losing many friends and colleagues so that proves it is a personal decision.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ireland`s supposed "neutrality" in WW2 made it difficult for Britain.

Claiming neutrality was a tactic to get at Britain in a more stealthy manner. German U boats hid in coves around the coast unchallenged while the Irish tried to make themselves look good by being neutral aye?

Churchill saw the bigger, a much bigger picture than the Irish could see and proposed some sort of deal/truce with Ireland in return for military help. They of course refused.

Churchill offered Northern Ireland to de Valera in 1940 in return for Eire declaring for the Allies. That wasn't bigger picture, it was desperate.

As for McClean, I'd have more respect for him if he didn't sympathise with the murdering barstewards who blew up innocent people on Remembrance Sunday 1987 in Enniskillen.

Where is this "Derry" that McLean speaks of? I always thought that the Bogside was in NI's 2nd city that's called Londonderry.

No amount of spray-painting over the London on roadsigns will ever change that.

You bring up the subject of Dresden in a topic about James McLean and suggest that because he states that he mourns the deaths of soldiers that lost their lives in both world wars, he somehow condones the bombing of Dresden. Then when I say that mourning the deaths of soldiers doesn't mean you condone what they did, you tell me that was YOUR point.

Tbf it was pretty clear what his point was.

Gregory House M.D.

:cornette:

Read your own comment. I couldn't put it simpler myself.

Gregory House M.D.

Actually, I could put it better. "Condoning the actions SOME took part in".

Political & sectarian point scoring. As others have said, everyone has the right to choose whether or not to wear a poppy and many choose not to without the need to explain their reasons. He might just as well have said " I refuse to wear the poppy because I'm an Irish Roman Catholic Republican and I hate British Proddies and all they stand for" because that effectively is what he's saying. The events of Bloody Sunday have as much relevance as the events of Omah or any of the other attrocities that were carried out by pro republican terrorists. This is a festival of remembrance for people who gave their lives in two world wars, an act that deserves everyones respect.

He works and receives a handsome wage in Britain. Show some respect you ****. Are we going to have to read about this cretin every year?

There is big problems with compulsory poppy football tops and all the rest of it. He shouldn't even have to explain himself or be put in this position.

Remembrance Sunday is an emotive, sobering day when we remember the fallen, but i'm thoroughly sick of the 3 week poppy fever and all the "controversies" that appear on an annual basis.

3 week poppy fever? You need to take your intellectual arse back to school. Some of the crap you write on KB is cringeworthy.

Political & sectarian point scoring. As others have said, everyone has the right to choose whether or not to wear a poppy and many choose not to without the need to explain their reasons. He might just as well have said " I refuse to wear the poppy because I'm an Irish Roman Catholic Republican and I hate British Proddies and all they stand for" because that effectively is what he's saying. The events of Bloody Sunday have as much relevance as the events of Omah or any of the other attrocities that were carried out by pro republican terrorists. This is a festival of remembrance for people who gave their lives in two world wars, an act that deserves everyones respect.

I think its actually for all British soldiers who lost their lives in all conflicts since the start of WW1.

Sheriff Fatman

And?

The whole point of the wars we were involved in in the 20th century was to give people freedom of expression, not to tell people how to think.

If you don't like how people use that freedom of expression, that says more about you than them.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Excellent post. For me, Remembrance Day is not just about British soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice, it's about the many millions of young men across Europe whose lives were wasted in a needless war, regardless of which side of the divide they were fighting.

Exactly. Its cringeworthy that we even celebrate VE day.

This sums it up. For those that love England flags and union jacks fill your boots. Don't see many other flags of countries that were involved in WW2 on show.

Katie Melua - The White Cliffs Of Dover & Stardust:

Allowayjambo1874

Have to say that this is a tricky one.

Yes no-one should be made to wear a poppy if they don't want to but by the same token he is representing a club who is honouring the men who fought and died particularly I suspect from the local area.

As someone said earlier not a single German that plays in UK has ever taken this stance.

Just out of interest what would the reaction be if Alim Ozturk wrote a letter explaining that due to the Gallipoli campaign and the loss of Turkish lives at the hands of the UK/Commonwealth forces in WW1 that he did not want to attend the remembrance on Sunday as it made him feel uncomfortable?

3 week poppy fever? You need to take your intellectual arse back to school. Some of the crap you write on KB is cringeworthy.

3 weeks is actually the old way of wearing them, Remembrance week and the week before and after. I know 2 people that keep up this custom, my old man (88) and an old guy by the name of Reilly from Galway.

Sheriff Fatman

I think its actually for all British soldiers who lost their lives in all conflicts since the start of WW1.

I think you'll find it is for all allied soldiers, British, or not (and quite a few who actually faught in the wars use it to remember any soldier who lost their lives due to politicians playing games).

I think you'll find it is for all allied soldiers, British, or not (and quite a few who actually faught in the wars use it to remember any soldier who lost their lives due to politicians playing games).

Sorry, I stand corrected.

I personally use a poppy to remember all those killed needlessly in wars, be they British or foreign, military or civilian.

Whether that's their official symbolism I don't care. I totally understand why for McLean it symbolises something else and he's well within his rights not to wear it.

Guest C00l K1d

That is MY point.

Where he comes from the poppy is seen as a different symbol than what we see it as.

It's comparable to how folk see the UJ. Down in England its a symbol for pride and all that shit but many people up here associate it with fear, thuggery, violence etc.

He shouldn't have to justify himself, it's a pretty personal thing.

As an aside, I might be wearing a poppy tomorrow! Might not be cos I've lost 2 already, those wee sticky yins are shite, bring back the pins.

I am one of those, I even think of the ones on the other side, however I would rather use somthing a lot stronger than playing games.

Archived