Wigan James McLean refuses to wear poppy shirt

Chaps

PUBLISHED

19:15 7th November 2014

by Wigan Athletic

Republic of Ireland international James McClean explains poppy stance.

Wigan Athletic?s Republic of Ireland international winger James McClean will not be wearing a poppy shirt tonight alongside the rest of his Wigan Athletic team mates, as the club takes part in football?s annual Remembrance Day commemoration.

This is a personal decision by James, who explained his position in a letter to Latics Chairman Dave Whelan before the two met face to face to discuss the issue this week.

Following the meeting, Mr Whelan accepted James? decision and it is both their wish that the letter is published here in full, alongside this statement. There will be no further comment on this issue by the club.

Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland?s history ? even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles ? and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you?re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club?s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,

James McClean

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is big problems with compulsory poppy football tops and all the rest of it. He shouldn't even have to explain himself or be put in this position.

Remembrance Sunday is an emotive, sobering day when we remember the fallen, but i'm thoroughly sick of the 3 week poppy fever and all the "controversies" that appear on an annual basis.

He did the same shit last year. Boy is an arse.

Really? I completely disagree.

MacDonald Jardine

He did. Are we going to have the same story every year until he retires?

I'm afraid he didn't. There was a furore created over the idea that he refused to play and the truth, that he was injured, wasn't met with such fanfare.

That he has to explain why he doesnt want to wear a poppy shows how ridiculous this situation is. That I will be abused, accused of trolling and sneered at for pointing this out only proves it doubly.

Francis Albert

Good explanation for his personal stance. I suspect that those related to victims of various British colonial atrocities down the years might feel the same.

Electing whether to wear a poppy is a personal decision, and fair play to him for explaining his stance. Its a shame he feels he has to.

His view on things. He's entitled to it. Personally speaking I don't agree with his views, but there we are!

It's a free world, but that's partly because of the sacrifices made by the people we respect and remember when wearing the poppy

Rudolf's Mate

He did. Are we going to have the same story every year until he retires?

This in spades. Ground hog day for the press. I don't agree with with his actions however it's his decision for whatever his reasons are.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Comes across very well and clearly has very good reasoning behind his decision.

Nobody should have to wear one if they don't want to. Worth pointing out that the men that died in both World Wars fought against tyranny. Seems to be lost on some people in this country.

jamboinglasgow

fair play as others say it his own decision. Whether I agree with it or not doesn't matter, I can only decide whether I wear a poppy or not.

Personally, i`ve always looked upon the Poppy as symbolic of the fallen in WW1 and WW2, not any other conflict. That`s my instant thought and memory when i was growing up and learning what it was about.

Respect to him. Think it's a shame he has to explain himself every year though.

This. It's his choice and if he doesn't want to wear one then that's that. I will be wearing mine though.

Fly the Saltire

Electing whether to wear a poppy is a personal decision, and fair play to him for explaining his stance.

AGREE as Earl Haig sacrificed thousands of troops in a pointless war and it should be an individual decision whether to wear a poppy and not be dictated by the BBC who will not allow anyone to appear without wearing a poppy.

We should never forget the sacrifice made by the Hearts players and others but it was lions led by upper class donkeys in a pointless war between two imperialistic monarchies in Germany and Britain..

Scottish soldiers suffered disproportionately compared to other allies.

We should forget that 26% of Scots in First World War didn't come home

The UK's population in 1911 was 42,138,000 and Scotland's was 4,751,000: 11.27% of the UK total.

Of the Scots who marched away, 26.4% did not come home: the percentage for the rest of the UK and Ireland was 11.8% and for France 16.8%. Only the Serbs and Turks had a higher proportion of participant deaths than Scotland.

All Scotland's First World War commemorations should stress the fact that 1.6% of the adult male population of the rest of the UK and Ireland died in the war. Scotland's adult male population was depleted by 3.1%.

There was a lot of opposition to the War in Scotland particularly on Clydeside. Scotland

It's funny, did the men who lost their lives not fight for freedom of speech? Can James McClean not make decisions for himself?

He made a decision. He (or his agent) justified the reasoning, move on and concentrate on your own, personal way of remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

He provides a well reasoned and articulate explanation for his stance, I hope people respect that and don't give him a hard time for it.

Gregory House M.D.

:cornette:

The boy is a ****wit.

Wonder how he feels about soldiers like Michael Willetts.

Bellend.

I have no problem with people choosing not to wear a poppy. The fact is that his explanation is utterly slanted shite.

ETA: If he had simply said that he doesn't agree with certain wars being glorified I'd respect his decision.

scots civil war

blokes young and fortunate enough to have been born right at the end of the troubles

understandable but hes been brain washed since birth without a doubt

For James McLean personally this is the right decision, it's personal.

However, if, for example, he was to state his refusal to wear it was because he was, personally, a Nazi, would so many on here be understanding?

It's still a slap in the face of the country in which he is employed, regardless of reasoning.

Wearing a poppy shouldn't be used in such a way as Billy the Kid is using it on this thread.

McLean has a personal reason not to, I'd never tell anybody they had to wear a poppy.

For James McLean personally this is the right decision, it's personal.

However, if, for example, he was to state his refusal to wear it was because he was, personally, a Nazi, would so many on here be understanding?

It's still a slap in the face of the country in which he is employed, regardless of reasoning.

You see, this is where my problem is. The poppy doesnt represent everything to do with britain. It doesnt have a monopoly on britain. You're saying if you don't wear a poppy then you're not british and that is offensive.

I've studied history and if there's one thing britain represents it is toleration and personal freedom. Your sentiments are un-British by that standard.

Gregory House M.D.

Someone should ask his views on Dresden. He's an uneducated, brainwashed arsehole. Let's not pretend otherwise.

weekend offender

Hes from a Republican/IRA area so he wouldnt and cant wear a poppy.His letter is fine but the bottom line is the Army are HATED in these areas

You see, this is where my problem is. The poppy doesnt represent everything to do with britain. It doesnt have a monopoly on britain. You're saying if you don't wear a poppy then you're not british and that is offensive.

I've studied history and if there's one thing britain represents it is toleration and personal freedom. Your sentiments are un-British by that standard.

I'm not overly 'British', in an objective sense, so my sentiments reflecting that aren't a problem.

Taking one event in isolation, would both of those statements not be comparable? Both opposed to Britain in their singular context?

Of course, I would probably do the same as McLean, but he opposes my view and I oppose his, so that's how freedom of expression works.

Hes from a Republican/IRA area so he wouldnt and cant wear a poppy.His letter is fine but the bottom line is the Army are HATED in these areas

Long story short.

Each to their own but imo Wigan Athletic, the club that pays his wages, have decided to adorn the poppy on their shirts, he should abide by that but if he feels strongly about it enough then he should walk completely from a club who want to honour the war dead by adorning a poppy.

He imo IS trying to make a political issue out of the poppy.

Someone should ask his views on Dresden. He's an uneducated, brainwashed arsehole. Let's not pretend otherwise.

This.

If questioned on the subject he wouldn't have a clue. This is simply to do with the brain washing his family have put him through.

Ireland`s supposed "neutrality" in WW2 made it difficult for Britain.

Claiming neutrality was a tactic to get at Britain in a more stealthy manner. German U boats hid in coves around the coast unchallenged while the Irish tried to make themselves look good by being neutral aye?

Churchill saw the bigger, a much bigger picture than the Irish could see and proposed some sort of deal/truce with Ireland in return for military help. They of course refused.

queensferryjambo

If he doesn't want to wear a poppy that is his prerogative - why he has to make a big song and dance about not wearing it is beyond me.

I am sure if he just never wore one this year and in previous years nobody would have even noticed and he could have went on quietly about his business.

What would his views on Dresden have to do with anything?

Skivingatwork

He's free to express his own views, but is only free to do so owing to the ultimate sacrifice made by ordinary men and women, something he should take a moment to ponder.

I don't give a monkeys where he is from. He could be from Barnton and I wouldn't care. He is an adult that has made a choice not to wear a symbol. He's entitled to make that choice.

i wonder if he is as principled re other situations in life, i very much doubt it .......................

With a tidal wave of "poppy fascism" levelled against him? I salute his courage.

I wear a poppy. That's my choice, he's made his and like it or not the weight of British opinion is against him, yet he stands up to it and gives an explanation as to why he wont that on the face of it, can be taken as sobering and reasonable.

If only most others were like him.

Gregory House M.D.

What would his views on Dresden have to do with anything?

Really?

Archived