'Twitter troll' who abused Madeleine McCann's parents found dead

red21

Better call Saul

Jesus I watched that news clip when the news team confronted her !

o the joys of the internet

Disputable actions from Sky news.

Hounding a 63 year old woman on her doorstep for stating facts and opinions on twitter. Then calling her a troll when neither of the McCanns are even on twitter.

Sky news have just posted the following on twitter: "McCann troll found dead in hotel room"

They don't even have the morality to print the woman's name.

Scum organisation.

Lavrentiy Beria

Some people shouldn't be near social media .Terrible actions and a terrible ending.

Agree with most on this thread, but why is a 63 year old woman using social media to commit such acts?

At her age, I thought she would have a bit more savvy and dignity.

Gregory House M.D.

Absolutely abhorrent from Sky News.

Whatever she said about the case, if she has broken the law the police or the McCann's lawyers should deal with it.

Hounded out of her home village by a multi-national media organisation and branded a troll for having an opinion. :vrface:

That headline/tweet after her death is utterly disgusting.

Hope the family drag them through the courts if their lawyers think they have a case.

fabienleclerq

Just watched the video of Sky news approaching her, pretty tame tbh. I can't see why people think the reporters worse than her when she's typing stuff about someone losing their bairn. If she's topped herself it's more to do with her actions than his.

I don't agree with people being abused or bullied on social media and i have only seen snapshots of what this women posted but what on earth were Sky news doing on this womans doorstep - surely its either a police matter or not. Hopefully a case will be opened against Sky News as this ladies death was unnecessary and Sky News should be thoroughly ashamed. When i saw the clip a few days ago, i felt very uncomfortable with it indeed.

This is why the press need tight regulation. Hounding a woman into suicide just because she voiced an opinion.

SKY are a sickening organisation.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

To be fair to Sky News I think the woman was a seriously ill disturbed person judging by the tweets and replies I've just read on Twitter.

I'm no pyschologist but her twitter behaviour was bordering on the obsessional.

Search Twitter for @sweepyface and you'll see what I mean

Regal Kingston

I think that couple have suffered enough.

Its not news though - just shit-stirring from Sky looking to fill their schedules.

Anything 'news' lifted from Twitter should be kyboshed immediately.

The McCanns would never have read their tweets until Sky brought it up.

I bet they have now though.

Shame she's killed herself though

Guest C00l K1d

Is this not kind of the same thing as what happens with that ''stinson hunter?''

I don't think people understand how abuse can effect people on social media, especially if you go viral like that woman has.

Is this not kind of the same thing as what happens with that ''stinson hunter?''

I don't think people understand how abuse can effect people on social media, especially if you go viral like that woman has.

I think people have to be educated as to the effect of what is said on social media (although you would expect it to be the kids who need educated and not grown adults) however I am not sure how the authorities are supposed to monitor all social media and take the appropriate action.

There must be millions of similar tweets/posts each day of a similar nature - some 'joking' and some not - so should they ALL be investigated?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

At some unknown point, Twitter crossed the line between being a Facebook-esque tool and being an actual, legitimate source of material for half-wit journalists. It's staggering to see how much of the news agenda these days is driven and dictated by Twitter.

In saying that, if this women is entitled to sound off about the mccanns then sky news are entitled to hound her. Why they'd want to hound her I've really no idea but no-one should be allowed to tweet with impunity, especially if they know little or nothing about the subject they're tweeting about

I have stated my opinion of the McCanns and their actions that day many times. I detest the whole media empire that has built up around that poor wee girl Madeline and have said many times that if they had been decent parents and not left their 3 toddlers alone in their room then they would still have their daughter. I've never been on twitter so no idea if this woman was accusing them of a lot more than their obvious child neglect so can't comment on that.

ToadKiller Dog

Don't think she was a Troll just somebody who had bought fully into the cover up conspiracy , so much so that it consumed her .

Sky were over the top in their hunting of her .

She is another victim of this whole horrible case .

It's obviously not a good thing at all that a woman has died as a result of this but one potentially useful thing would be that it might make other 'trolls' think again before engaging in whatever internet based campaign they

had in store. If Internet trolls get the message that their actions could conceivably come back to bite them then perhaps there would be less sick abuse. But it definitely shouldn't be down to an organisation such as SKY to decide who to unmask. If she was indeed unstable then SKY had no business playing the part they did in the matter. You could probably say that all of these so-called trolls are mentally unstable therefore it should only be a matter for the police.

The Internet is great, innit?

Don't think she was a Troll just somebody who had bought fully into the cover up conspiracy , so much so that it consumed her .

Yeah, doesn't seem like what she was doing was trolling at all. Her tweets weren't directed towards the Mccanns as they don't have Twitter accounts. It seems as if she was just all consumed with the Mccann's and posting her view on their actions and the injustice of it and wished them to suffer for what they did as opposed to someone intent on winding someone up and provoking or getting a reaction from them for kicks.

Looks as if Sky News were just looking for a face to put with their 'Evil trolls hate campaign' and decided to go for the easy target of confronting a 60 year old middle class woman making unsavoury comments from a sleepy country village as opposed to someone sending death threats from some high rise council flat.

Hmmm. Opinions on the mccanns actions aside, this woman is entitled to her opinion

That's really it

Unless she is intentionally trolling to cause hate or harm then its nothing more than opinion?

Bear in mind I've only seen the screen dumps on the link provided

It seems she was using twitter and the mccann hastag as a discussion forum (essentially like here)

What concerns me is that there is a group who had been looking for anti-mccann messages and trying to identify the people in question,

This seems to be where sky got her info.

Exactly. If she genuinely believed the McCann's had done what the conspiracy theorists say then she probably felt she was within her rights to say what she did.

Nobody would be hounded for tweeting similar to Myra Hindley, would they.

Auld Reekin'

Her twitter campaign was nasty, stupid, unnecessary, and pointless (what did she hope to achieve by it? I've certainly not bothered tracking-down the rest of what she tweeted, but it appears she was much more concerned with calling the McCanns names and wishing them ill than in any struggle for "truth and justice for Madeleine"), and she ended-up taking her own life - as far as we know - because of it. Her campaign and her death which was resulted from that, were stupid, unnecessary, and pointless...

Have people not got better, more positive, more life-affirming, things to do with their time and with their lives, f.f.s.?

Her twitter campaign was nasty, stupid, unnecessary, and pointless (what did she hope to achieve by it? I've certainly not bothered tracking-down the rest of what she tweeted, but it appears she was much more concerned with calling the McCanns names and wishing them ill than in any struggle for "truth and justice for Madeleine"), and she ended-up taking her own life - as far as we know - because of it. Her campaign and her death which was resulted from that, were stupid, unnecessary, and pointless...

Have people not got better, more positive, more life-affirming, things to do with their time and with their lives, f.f.s.?

In a nutshell, well put.

Archived