Tyres

weststand93

I dont know much about cars never really been in to them . I have a MOT coming up and my tyres I would say are very close to being bald . Now what would you recommend are good tyres and not over overpriced think ill need 4 . I drive a vauxhall astra is thats any different to what type of tyres gos on cars . thanks in advance

I would always buy decent tyres rather than going for a cheaper option tbh, normally buy Pirelli's cant remember the model No., about ?120 a tyre

3fingersreid

Buy the best you can afford , think safety before you try and save pennies , after all you ,your loved ones and passengers are relying on their contact with the ground

...a bit disco

Farmers are reasonably priced for the size you'll need.

Buy the best you can afford , think safety before you try and save pennies , after all you ,your loved ones and passengers are relying on their contact with the ground

This

I normally go to McConechies, but once you have decided on a tyre, phone around a few places to get a price, McConechies usually price match if you tell them you got quoted a cheaper price elsewhere

heartsfc_fan

Anyone know the best place to get run flats?

Do you have BMW? Or another German car?

Take the run flats off and put normal tyres on. I did this with my last car (1 series). It improved the ride, handling and was a lot cheaper. I bought a spare wheel which I kept in the house but put it in the boot for long journeys. Had a cheap puncture repair kit in the car also.

heartsfc_fan

Whats the point of runflats though? You get a puncture the tyre is goosed.

They don't go 'flat' as quickly. Bit unnecessary tbh and expensive.

Farmers are reasonably priced for the size you'll need.

Yeah I've found the one in Corstorphine to be pretty good. They also do a range of tyres where they will replace or give you a discount depending on the wear if you damage the tyre and they can't repair it.

heartsfc_fan

National are decent too. You can pay ?7 and that will insure the tyre so it gets repaired for free and if a new one of required you'll get one.

Try sport car breakers in Newbridge.

?15 for a used tyre a that's it fitted too.

I'd never put a used tyre on my car. No way hosey.

Jambof3tornado

Used tyres should be banned. Your car has 4 points of contact with the road(unless you drive a 3 wheeler),yet you would elect to fit a tyre that you have no real idea of its condition and history.

This reminds me of that advert for Volkswagen were the guy buys the cheap parachute :lol:

Do you have BMW? Or another German car?

Take the run flats off and put normal tyres on. I did this with my last car (1 series). It improved the ride, handling and was a lot cheaper. I bought a spare wheel which I kept in the house but put it in the boot for long journeys. Had a cheap puncture repair kit in the car also.

Ye 1 series too, I've heard a few people recommend chucking regular tyres on. If I'm honest, I don't do a lot of motorway or long distance driving which is probably where you need the run flats.

• 6 years later...

I used Pitstop Mobile Tyres when the wife destroyed a tyre, driving her Polo home with a puncture a few weeks ago.  £90 for a Pirelli. A lot handier than waiting at or leaving your car at a garage too.

Unless you have a sports car and need a specific tyre or something then as long as they're a "brand" tyre (Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Continental, Hankook etc) then you will be fine if its just a family car.

Steer clear of the "economy" range. Shite. And you will be back in 9,000 miles.

highlandjambo3

Here is a tyre fact for you, if you want:

You know the camber of the road (slope) runs from the centre of the road downhill each side towards the kerb to aid in drainage when it’s raining so, if you think about your cars normal driving position, it’s ever so slightly leaning left but, not that you would notice.  Half way through your tires life you SHOULD be swapping the left side with the right side.....I know of no one who actually does this.........end of.

On 30/08/2014 at 20:03, Jambof3tornado said:

Whats the point of runflats though? You get a puncture the tyre is goosed.

Point is that you can get home/to a garage rather than being 'that' person that's trying to change a tyre in the middle of a busy junction, most runflats will allow you to travel up to 80 miles at speeds of upto 50mph

On 30/08/2014 at 11:19, Jambof3tornado said:

Blackcircles.com is good for prices. Easy to use and you can pick a fitting centre close to you.

This

Always get mine from Black Circles, I've even bought their own brand ones the last 2 times, never looked back. 

Under £60 each and i've got reasonably big wheels. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

On 30/08/2014 at 21:32, scottishguy said:

Sounds safe. 

You've no idea how old the tyre would be going on your car. 

47 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Sounds safe. 

You've no idea how old the tyre would be going on your car. 

Do you realise this was from 6 years ago!:jj_facepalm:

Edited by scottishguy

10 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You know the camber of the road (slope) runs from the centre of the road downhill each side towards the kerb to aid in drainage when it’s raining so, if you think about your cars normal driving position, it’s ever so slightly leaning left but, not that you would notice.  Half way through your tires life you SHOULD be swapping the left side with the right side.....I know of no one who actually does this.........end of.

You're also supposed to swap the front and back tyres over due to the weight of the engine putting more wear on the front. Again, I also know of no one who does this. 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, chubby1973 said:

You're also supposed to swap the front and back tyres over due to the weight of the engine putting more wear on the front. Again, I also know of no one who does this. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's weird, as if you replace your front tyres they should as standard be flipped to the back, leaving a more worn tyre at the front. The rear tyres are the ones that are going to help you correct a skid, there's no chance I'd be switching them with tyres with less tread. 

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

That's weird, as if you replace your front tyres they should as standard be flipped to the back, leaving a more worn tyre at the front. The rear tyres are the ones that are going to help you correct a skid, there's no chance I'd be switching them with tyres with less tread. 

But another way to look at it is that your front tyres do all the work in corners if you have a front wheel drive car that will be more prone to under steer. 

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

But another way to look at it is that your front tyres do all the work in corners if you have a front wheel drive car that will be more prone to under steer. 

Possibly yes. I'd be happier correcting understeer by lifting my foot a little rather than fighting a skid though.

In any case, I don't think it makes much of a difference if your tyres are road legal.

Edit: the above is trained by Michelin. I quite like them because they don't bullshit people into changing tyres at 3/4mm.

Edited by IronJambo

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Possibly yes. I'd be happier correcting understeer by lifting my foot a little rather than fighting a skid though.

In any case, I don't think it makes much of a difference if your tyres are road legal.

That’s the correct way to sort under steer, then you try it in a Peugeot 205 Gti, very effective laxative as the ******* swaps ends in a split second. 

Edited by Tazio

13 hours ago, scottishguy said:

Do you realise this was from 6 years ago!:jj_facepalm:

Old tyres 6 years ago better than old tyres now? 

15 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

This

Always get mine from Black Circles, I've even bought their own brand ones the last 2 times, never looked back. 

Under £60 each and i've got reasonably big wheels. 

Used them a few years ago, good service, tyres were done at a garage near longstone.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

That’s the correct way to sort under steer, then you try it in a Peugeot 205 Gti, very effective laxative as the ******* swaps ends in a split second. 

Sounds like good fun. I'll never have one of them to be honest, I'll be sticking with a boring dad car.

I bought 2 pirelli all season tyres for £100 each off tyre leader  https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/. I have 20inch wheels so last time I got 2 of these fitted at a garage it cost me £330. This time the local garage said he would fit my tyres for £15 each. Because I was saving  hundred quid i was quite happy to give the boy £40 for fitting the 2. He told me tyre leader are a Spanish company and all the UK companies cant touch them for price. Him buying those tyres from his supplier wouldve been about £145 each inc.the vat. Some one man band garages aren't vat registered (like him) so basically he would sell those tyres for £160-£165 each to a customer. I will add the tyres I bought are now £120 each. In the summer they were £96 each so it definitely pays to change your tyres in the summer or early autumn if you can 

On 18/11/2020 at 11:12, highlandjambo3 said:

Majority of modern tyres are directional, swapping left for right would alter the proper direction of the tread.