Malaysian Airlines plane down over Ukraine/Russia border [SEE ADMIN WARNING ABOUT PICS/VIDS]

Malcolm Tucker

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Deevers

• ToYouToMe

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Not good.

Begs the question why on earth a civil airline would fly over that part of the world in the first instance, but still crazy.

Both sides to blame each other but guessing it is the pro-Russian militia that's responsible.

I P Knightley

I'm flying to KL in September. Went to book Malaysian on the basis that 'lightning won't strike twice'.

Might revise that choice.

Malcolm Tucker

How high can Surface to Air missiles go ? The plane would have been at least at over 35,000 ft ...

Interfax saying it was a land-to-air missile, plane at 30'000ft.

Shit's going to kick off here.

Edited by Malcolm Tucker

Guest GhostHunter

Interfax saying it was a land-to-air missile, plane at 30'000ft.

Shit's going to kick off here.

Which means the Russians/Ukrainians would have known it was a commercial airliner.

Holy **** - this is going to end up badly...

rossthejambo

So Russia have potentially shot down a passenger plane? Ridiculous.

Horrible news that it's crashed but if it's been shot down then some serious shit is about to kick off.

How high can Surface to Air missiles go ? The plane would have been at least at over 35,000 ft ...

I doubt a hand held one could go that far e.g. a Stinger, or such like.

Heavy SAM's can reach 60,000ft

I wonder if a pilot of either Russia or Ukraine has got a bit twitchy?

My Left Nut

SAM's can go up to 400km and 600km in some case. If the plane was only flying at 10km then it is a fairly easy target.

Edited by My Left Nut

So Russia have potentially shot down a passenger plane? Ridiculous.

Horrible news that it's crashed but if it's been shot down then some serious shit is about to kick off.

Pro-Russian militia.

Suppose it gives Putin the get out clause he needs OR the excuse to go marching in and "restore order".

My Left Nut

All it will take, will be to find out that there were Americans on board the plane.

Or, Chinese..

It won't end well if that ends up the case. I can see this getting way worse before it gets any better.

I P Knightley

Commercial, passenger airliner carrying the flag of a country with nothing to do with the conflict; flying in an international air corridor.

Russians can be mental busstards at times and their aggression over Ukraine unwarranted but I see no logic in wanting to shoot it down.

Malcolm Tucker

The fact I find astounding is that passenger jets and fighter jets aren't remotely similar.

Whoever pressed 'Fire' will have known it was a passenger jet.

This is going to end very badly.

rossthejambo

Pro-Russian militia.

Suppose it gives Putin the get out clause he needs OR the excuse to go marching in and "restore order".

Depends what side of the border the missile was fired on, surely if it was on the Russian side it would be the Russian army rather than just militia?

All it will take, will be to find out that there were Americans on board the plane.

Or, Chinese..

I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

There was Americans and British on our flight. We were even sat behind people from Edinburgh.

My Left Nut

Reports that the Buk Missile system was the type believed to have shot the plane down.

Christ almighty. A plane going down under any circumstances is a catastrophe. One getting shot down by a country having a civil war whilst engaged with a country eager to get in to a dick measuring contest with anyone is just asking for big trouble.

It's like a turkey shoot in that area at the moment mostly military so far. It will be interesting to see if there is any satellite pictures showing the heat trail of the missile. Let's hope so and pursue the wankers that have done this.

Lavrentiy Beria

BBC reporting that Russians in Ukraine have said on social media that they have brought down a Ukranian plane, what an unholy mess.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I hope the Russian people are told the truth about this( If the rebels are to blame) and a propaganda war is avoided. Unfortunately that is what I fear will happen and the Putin and co will wipe their hands of it.

heartsfc_fan

Horrible.

Thoughts are with the families of these people. 295 innocent lives.

Aviation Expert on Sky News saying that for months airlines have been aware of the danger of flying over eastern Ukraine and the only reason he can think that they have ignored the warnings is that it is more expensive to fly around!

loveofthegame

Aviation Expert on Sky News saying that for months airlines have been aware of the danger of flying over eastern Ukraine and the only reason he can think that they have ignored the warnings is that it is more expensive to fly around!

Mental if so, but I'm guessing largely the norm?! For example, flights to Dubai go over Iraq etc?!

I'd suggest it doesn't take an aviation expert to arrive at that conclusion.

Mental if so, but I'm guessing largely the norm?! For example, flights to Dubai go over Iraq etc?!

The companies that insure airlines may take a very different view to the airline accountant who reckoned the extra fuel to fly round costs too much....

The companies that insure airlines may take a very different view to the airline accountant who reckoned the extra fuel to fly round costs too much....

I'm pretty sure that will already be taken into account. Eg re-routing costs < increased premiums.

That will possibly now change.

loveofthegame

Agreed. Sounds ridic (although maybe apt now) but (as a guy scared of flying) I remember flying over Iraq thinking "imagine we needed an emergency landing...."

Outrageous act of terrorism

I'm pretty sure that will already be taken into account. Eg re-routing costs < increased premiums.

That will possibly now change.

I'd guess that after this the insurance companies will just tell airlines; go round, or don't go.

Took off from Amsterdam as well, craziness. I suspect there might have been Brits on board, not that it makes it any different but that would stir some sh*te.

People still fly with this airline?

Rip to the people who died.

Unless something incredible comes out, given that lots of airlines fly over this same point, this one isnt their fault.

Pete Seeger

People still fly with this airline?

Rip to the people who died.

I'm not really sure how much blame the airline can take for getting shot out of the sky?

Tragic.