Out of these three candidates, who would you choose?

shaun.lawson

It's not great, is it...?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. It's not great, is it...?

• Jim Jefferies
    • Stephen Frail
    • Gudjon Thodarsson
    • St Johnstone

I'm asking this because of a growing suspicion that the club may be caught between a rock and a hard place. We all know how popular Burley, Levein, McGhee or perhaps even Davies would be as choices: that's by the by. But what if the club are finding it impossible to recruit one of these individuals because of how notorious Vlad's involvement has become?

And yes, I know that recent statements mean we're plainly changing course at long last. But the trouble is, how can the best candidates be sure of this? Only with considerable proof gained through several years of the manager clearly having full control over the team, selection and signings are we likely to rid ourselves of our unfortunate reputation: and in the meantime, my gut feeling is all the best choices are likely to steer well clear. We're just far too risky an option for them to contemplate, I suspect.

If that is indeed the case, we may have very few choices left: hence my poll above. I'm including a St Johnstone option, but would appreciate it if as few posters went for it as possible - simply because the club may very well be in this very difficult position. And while I'm pretty confident JJ, with certain assurances, would jump at the chance of returning, a quick glance at the league table suggests his star is very much on the wane: hence why Frail may have been given the ropes until the end of the season at least? Personally, I still lean towards JJ out of the three possibilities I've mentioned - but I can't pretend I'd be inspired by such a choice. Far from it. What does everyone think?

I'm asking this because of a growing suspicion that the club may be caught between a rock and a hard place. We all know how popular Burley, Levein, McGhee or perhaps even Davies would be as choices: that's by the by. But what if the club are finding it impossible to recruit one of these individuals because if how notorious Vlad's involvement has become?

And yes, I know that recent statements mean we're plainly changing course at long last. But the trouble is, how can the best candidates be sure of this? Only with considerable proof gained through several years of the manager clearly having full control over the team, selection and signings are we likely to rid ourselves of our unfortunate reputation: and in the meantime, my gut feeling is all the best choices are likely to steer well clear. We're just far too risky an option for them to contemplate, I suspect.

If that was the case, we may have very few choices left: hence my poll above. I'm including a St Johnstone option, but would appreciate it if as few posters went for it as possible - simply because the club may very well be in this very difficult position. And while I'm pretty confident JJ, with certain assurances, would jump at the chance of returning, a quick glance at the league table suggests his star is very much on the wane: hence why Frail may have been given the ropes until the end of the season at least? Personally, I still lean towards JJ out of the three possibilities I've mentioned - but I can't pretend I'd be inspired by such a choice. Far from it. What does everyone think?

Where's the poll?

Sorry Shaun but the poll wasn't there when i posted:thumb"

I know - annoyingly, the board always publishes the post even while you're still putting together the poll options. It's a small complaint, mind: I think this new board is working brilliantly, and a huge credit to all the work put in by those in charge. Cheers guys! :clap::toasting:

I went for SF,not because i think he should be our next manager but purely down to the fact out of the options given i think he would be the hungriest to achieve something and not just want a big pay before retiring.

Why is the Iceman mentioned though? He's been quoted numerous times in the Icelandic press stating it's a load of nonsense.

Why is the Iceman mentioned though? He's been quoted numerous times in the Icelandic press stating it's a load of nonsense.

Simply because of the links: I agree with you, but no other bugger (er, apart from Super Peter Grant) has even been mentioned!

Why don't we all just vote for the manager/puppet that has been dumped on us and we will all be singing from the same song sheet. Stevie wonder can see what Vlad is going to do, its just a matter of time before he will take the reins again and a new manager will makeit difficult whereas a yesman already in place will be easy to deal with

The options are shocking..... if thats the level of manager we are looking at erm.... speechless! :confused:

But that is our level.

Gudjon.

I've no idea if he's any good, but Frail's out of his depth and I don't believe in bringing managers back.

Wouldn't exactly be excited about it though.

But that is our level.

No! .. it most certainly is not!

Why on earth could we not attract better than any of this dross?

cause Vlad interferes? if he gives assurances... then all is good?

If he interferes, the contract will be examined and Vlad will have to pay the remainder of the contract.

If he interferes, the contract will be examined and Vlad will have to pay the remainder of the contract.

It wouldn't normally be our level, no - and I agree: the options are shocking. But after more than two years of Vlad interfering, and the club gaining an utterly notorious reputation across the UK, I honestly think that mere words won't convince any of the better candidates: they'll need real proof, and that can only be demonstrated through us appointing another manager and leaving him well alone for two or three years. In sum: we need the likes of Burley, McGhee, Levein or Davies more than they need us: not a happy bargaining position to be in, I'm afraid.

Without doubt, JJ.

He could do a very good job over a two year period, getting the right guys in and getting the best out of those who are already here.

Perhaps we could look to then move Jim on (or even upstairs) and bring in a younger man to carry on the good work.

JJ for me.

Buffalo Bill

http://sports.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/17/SPL-Thordarsson-on-Hearts/?facets/sport-space/north-america-locale/

?Hearts are Scotland?s third biggest club. It is a shame to see where they are right now,? said Thordarson. ?It hasn?t been a healthy season for Hearts but I?d never hide. I wouldn?t listen if someone said, ?don?t go there?. I have always accepted a challenge.?

Has to be JJ at the moment.

IMHO he would get the best out of the squad we have just know.

He would also put some discipline back into our club and get respect from the player's.

Stupid poll IMO.

I am off to start a poll and mention three candidates that have been mentioned here as if they are the ONLY options.

Steve McLaren

Sam Allardyce

Greame Souness

Maybe we HAVE attracted better candidates than those previously mentioned, and that those responsible for the search, are keeping the candidates strictly under wraps until they have reached a decision. Its how I would expect the process to be carried out, and even when I'm in the Greggs queue, I wont listen to the rumours.

Stupid poll IMO.

I am off to start a poll and mention three candidates that have been mentioned here as if they are the ONLY options.

Steve McLaren

Sam Allardyce

Greame Souness

BH, I hope you're right: I hope there are many far better options who are very interested in joining. I just struggle to see it: hence my poll. And do you have any idea why Steve Banks seemed to think that Frail had been given the job for the next three months?

BH, I hope you're right: I hope there are many far better options who are very interested in joining. I just struggle to see it: hence my poll. And do you have any idea why Steve Banks seemed to think that Frail had been given the job for the next three months?

Been out at a funeral all day but wtf??

Been out at a funeral all day but wtf??

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article3222141.ece

?The lads are absolutely delighted Stevie has been given the [caretaker manager] post for the next three months,? Banks said.

Not a quote picked up elsewhere in the press - but a very strange one, nonetheless: and one of the factors which led to my posting the poll!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article3222141.ece

?The lads are absolutely delighted Stevie has been given the [caretaker manager] post for the next three months,? Banks said.

Not a quote picked up elsewhere in the press - but a very strange one, nonetheless: and one of the factors which led to my posting the poll!

That suggests that he has been told he will be the caretaker manager for the remainder of the season. If that is the case then I for one will take this whole new year announcement as bull cr@p and will be asking to get involved with the poster that has the fanzine link in his signature.

Went St Johnstone. None of the three are whats required to take us forward. If Craig Levein had been in the list thats a different matter. ;)

That suggests that he has been told he will be the caretaker manager for the remainder of the season. If that is the case then I for one will take this whole new year announcement as bull cr@p and will be asking to get involved with the poster that has the fanzine link in his signature.

To be fair though, it's not been picked up elsewhere, as I mentioned. Indeed, Spiers' article today, in common with others over recent days, basically seems confused as to whether we are still looking for a manager or not. I genuinely don't think the Ne'er Day announcement was bullcrap though (and you know me: I'm normally the first to smell something fishy whenever Vlad's got anything to do with it): for surely the first time ever, I find myself in full accordance with IMA MAROON. I think we've been hoisted by the petard of our reputation, and that much as I wish it were otherwise, decent candidates just won't come here: at the very least, until they have clear proof over a considerable period of time that Vlad won't be getting up to his old tricks again.

Went St Johnstone. None of the three are whats required to take us forward. If Craig Levein had been in the list thats a different matter. ;)

In an ideal world, my order would be:

1. Burley

2. McGhee

3. Levein

4. Davies

But this isn't an ideal world, and I can't see any of the first three touching us. Davies is just possible, and I guess I'm holding out for him... otherwise, it's more than likely JJ v Frail, sadly.

if i were making up a short list for the managers job it would be full of quality managers. let's hope romanov has an ounce of ambition and we don't end up with someone who is out of their depth.

going by romanov's record we're stuffed.

if i were making up a short list for the managers job it would be full of quality managers. let's hope romanov has an ounce of ambition and we don't end up with someone who is out of their depth.

OK I'll bite. Give us your list.

In an ideal world, my order would be:

1. Burley

2. McGhee

3. Levein

4. Davies

But this isn't an ideal world, and I can't see any of the first three touching us. Davies is just possible, and I guess I'm holding out for him... otherwise, it's more than likely JJ v Frail, sadly.

Its a very sad day when thats what were left with.

Well Mitch - what are you waiting for? Tell us!

It's high time Romanov backed up his words with actions. We must appoint someone of the stature of McClaren or Allardyce if we want to compete at the highest level. TIME TO DELIVER

It's high time Romanov backed up his words with actions. We must appoint someone of the stature of McClaren or Allardyce if we want to compete at the highest level. TIME TO DELIVER

Hhhmmmm. :whistling:

Archived