'arry Redknapp on England players dodging call-ups

tartofmidlothian

So who was playing at Tottenham at that time? Can't be too hard to work out who he was talking about.

Scotland had that problem too. All of a sudden many OF players would pick up injuries that would rule them out of Scotland friendlies yet miraculously recover in time for their next league game.

By not naming the specific players, all the possible England internationals at Spurs when he was Manager, are now tarred with the same brush, of turning their backs on their Country

By not naming the specific players, all the possible England internationals at Spurs when he was Manager, are now tarred with the same brush, of turning their backs on their Country

good point - this story might run

Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Kyle Walker, Peter Crouch? Don't expect any of those? Scott Parker!

jamboinglasgow

Scotland had that problem too. All of a sudden many OF players would pick up injuries that would rule them out of Scotland friendlies yet miraculously recover in time for their next league game.

The best one I heard, was when Jackie McNamara was told to withdraw from the national team friendly by Martin O'Neill. O'Neill said it was to allow him more time to be with his family. Thing was McNamra's family are Scotland national team mad fans, so would have been at Scotland game anyway.

Worst for Scotland was Andy Gray - his manager persuaded him to avoid friendlies. We might have done better in a couple of World Cups with him.

Dr. Bapswent

Nonsense to say they can't handle the media - they handle it every day at club level.

The problem is, they are spoilt ignorant children who don't live in the real world.

They have more money than sense and while getting hundreds of thousands to play for your national team is bad enough - it destroys and sense of playing for national pride.

When they have that much money, I'm sure the World Cup is often a nuisance that just gets in the way of holidays. Any sense of playing for pride just doesn't come Into the equation. Disgusting.

rossthejambo

Still pissed off they picked Hodgson over him I see.

Arsehole of a man.

The best one I heard, was when Jackie McNamara was told to withdraw from the national team friendly by Martin O'Neill. O'Neill said it was to allow him more time to be with his family. Thing was McNamra's family are Scotland national team mad fans, so would have been at Scotland game anyway.

So presumably they'd have been on the pitch with him, in the dressing room and in training in the preceding days??

Guest C00l K1d

Arsehole of a man.

Iirc donated some money to the fighting fund.

Good cant

I'm sure Alan Sugar had a pop at a Spurs player and his nick name at the club was sick-note , as he was always in the physio's room. Didn't just miss England games, but Spurs games too.

Can't remember his name.

Down the bottom of the article he's getting fired into the big clubs signing foreigners.

He's signed an awful lot of foreigners at previous clubs and he's now at QPR who's team is full of them.

Think Harry is a good manager and respect him for his donation to the fighting fund but he comes across as a moany old ****.

I'm sure Alan Sugar had a pop at a Spurs player and his nick name at the club was sick-note , as he was always in the physio's room. Didn't just miss England games, but Spurs games too.

Can't remember his name.

Can't remember his name.

darren anderton

King Of The Cat Cafe

Maybe explains why Bale never played for England ...

Lol

Is he not Welsh?

Harry Redknapp is dodgy himself. Bent as a nine bob note. Laddie should be careful throwing stones, IMO.

Guest C00l K1d

Harry Redknapp is dodgy himself. Bent as a nine bob note. Laddie should be careful throwing stones, IMO.

Not sure what his sexual preference has to do with it tbh.

Not sure what his sexual preference has to do with it tbh.

Bent in a crooked way. Criminality as opposed to sexuality.

You knew that though, eh. ;)

Rangers in the 80s/90s reached ridiculous levels at times. Our first choice strike force back then was Johnston & McCoist, who were both at Rangers. Souness pulled them both from the squad more than once, and not just for friendlies either. We nearly didn't qualify for the 1990 World Cup because of it - we needed one point from our last three qualifiers, and IIRC had to do without both players for away games v Yugoslavia and France (both of which we lost). We eventually got the point in the last game.

I distinctly recall they were mysteriously fit again by the Saturday.

fabienleclerq

Nonsense to say they can't handle the media - they handle it every day at club level.

The problem is, they are spoilt ignorant children who don't live in the real world.

They have more money than sense and while getting hundreds of thousands to play for your national team is bad enough - it destroys and sense of playing for national pride.

When they have that much money, I'm sure the World Cup is often a nuisance that just gets in the way of holidays. Any sense of playing for pride just doesn't come Into the equation. Disgusting.

Tbf the media at national level will be miles worse than spurs, look at the stock Rooney gets? Or Beckham got? They build them up till they get to tournaments then for some reason start attacking their own players.

Some people maybe couldn't cope with it, not sure money has anything to do with it.

Arsehole of a man.

Nah. He's quite right. And picking Hodgson was a disaster. Only going to get worse as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wasnt there a time recently where rangers pulled players from the Scotland squad for a wednesday match, there were a few minor grumbles so the rangers manager said "they've been checked out by the scotland physio who agrees they're not fit". Media accept this. Rangers players are miraculously fit for the saturday game.

Turns out, Scotland physio also happens to be the Rangers physio.

I wouldnt trust anything Redknapp says.

Dr. Bapswent

Tbf the media at national level will be miles worse than spurs, look at the stock Rooney gets? Or Beckham got? They build them up till they get to tournaments then for some reason start attacking their own players.

Some people maybe couldn't cope with it, not sure money has anything to do with it.

OK how about.

If i was offered ?30,000 a week to put up with the media - i dont think there is much that would stop me.

If i had millions in the bank and was offered ?30,000 a week to put up with the media - then i probably couldn't be arsed.

So yeah, i do think money plays a role.

fabienleclerq

OK how about.

If i was offered ?30,000 a week to put up with the media - i dont think there is much that would stop me.

If i had millions in the bank and was offered ?30,000 a week to put up with the media - then i probably couldn't be arsed.

So yeah, i do think money plays a role.

What's that got to do with England squads? You'd be getting paid 30,000 by your club regardless.

My point is some people couldn't cope mentally with the pressure of playing for England, if players aren't in the right frame of mind they won't perform.

Dr. Bapswent

What's that got to do with England squads? You'd be getting paid 30,000 by your club regardless.

My point is some people couldn't cope mentally with the pressure of playing for England, if players aren't in the right frame of mind they won't perform.

My point is, the amuont they get paid means they are comfortable enough to turn down playing for thier country - whereas they should be climbing over each other to play for their nation.

I agree the media is bad - but its bad all year round.

They are wealthy enough that more media attention and its hassle outweighs the pride and money they get for playing in the World Cup - thats wrong.

I see that Steven Gerard has spoken out, calling for the players to be named on the BBC sport website. Not sure how to post a link, but he seems pretty angry.

Matthew Le Tissier

I enjoy posting on Kickback so i wont put what i think of Mr Redknapp

I see that Steven Gerard has spoken out, calling for the players to be named on the BBC sport website. Not sure how to post a link, but he seems pretty angry.

Thus proving Redknapp's point.

Time was when players didn't earn fortunes from the game, and being able to play the game and make a working living from it was a privilege. To represent their country was an honour, and for many players the pinnacle of their careers. No doubt today there are still many players who feel honoured to represent their country, but maybe for some it's not as big a deal as it once was. Some very high profile players have 'retired' from international football in order to try and prolong their club career.

Gerrard's got some nerve considering he's refusing to say whether he'll retire or not and "needs some time to think about it"

Gerrard's 34 with a hundred and whatever caps. I think he's earned the right to make his own decision whether he should retire from international football or not. Wind your neck in

jamboinglasgow

I enjoy posting on Kickback so i wont put what i think of Mr Redknapp

One of the few people to have united Southampton fans and Portsmouth fans in a common feeling (in this case hatred)

My point is, the amuont they get paid means they are comfortable enough to turn down playing for thier country - whereas they should be climbing over each other to play for their nation.

I agree the media is bad - but its bad all year round.

They are wealthy enough that more media attention and its hassle outweighs the pride and money they get for playing in the World Cup - thats wrong.

some of them just cant get enough money no matter what they earn for football ,sick of seeing them in adverts at half time

colinmaroon

Rangers in the 80s/90s reached ridiculous levels at times. Our first choice strike force back then was Johnston & McCoist, who were both at Rangers. Souness pulled them both from the squad more than once, and not just for friendlies either. We nearly didn't qualify for the 1990 World Cup because of it - we needed one point from our last three qualifiers, and IIRC had to do without both players for away games v Yugoslavia and France (both of which we lost). We eventually got the point in the last game.

I distinctly recall they were mysteriously fit again by the Saturday.

Down through the ears, the Old Firm were very good bad at this.

Maybe explains why Bale never played for England ...

Lol

Is he not Welsh?

Haha :) the one bite was worth it!

always remember Barry ferguson never seemed to miss a game for gers or Scotland unless it was a Scotland friendly then he'd be injured but fit for the gers next match. could be wrong?

Gerrard's 34 with a hundred and whatever caps. I think he's earned the right to make his own decision whether he should retire from international football or not. Wind your neck in

Naw, if you really want to play for your country and give your all, you'd not even think about retiring and you'd say "if I'm selected, I'll give 100%"

The fact that he's even umming and ahhing over it means his heart isn't really in it so he should just walk away instead of criticising others and acting like billy big baws.

Bindy Badgy

always remember Barry ferguson never seemed to miss a game for gers or Scotland unless it was a Scotland friendly then he'd be injured but fit for the gers next match. could be wrong?

The thing that did my head in about the Old Firm players missing the friendlys was the fact that Darren Fletcher and Craig gordon always turned up when fit. They didn't bump a friendly then play for their club a few days later. If the two most valuable players in the squad think its worth their time what excuse do the others have?

fabienleclerq

Naw, if you really want to play for your country and give your all, you'd not even think about retiring and you'd say "if I'm selected, I'll give 100%"

The fact that he's even umming and ahhing over it means his heart isn't really in it so he should just walk away instead of criticising others and acting like billy big baws.

Shite. He's getting older so will take longer to recover from games etc. it's nothing to do with ego.

Alan Johnson

The most surprising thing about this for me is that people seem to be genuinely surprised by this. Have they never seen the make up of international friendly squads?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

this

The thing that did my head in about the Old Firm players missing the friendlys was the fact that Darren Fletcher and Craig gordon always turned up when fit. They didn't bump a friendly then play for their club a few days later. If the two most valuable players in the squad think its worth their time what excuse do the others have?

Alan McLaren turned up on at least one occasion when he could barely walk, let alone play.

How many Champions League campaigns did Redknapp's Spurs qualify for?

Players rich beyond their dreams by 21 (if they are sensible) and already content they have already learned everything they need to know about the game to turn down international football.

From a Scotland perspective only Darren Fletcher has been involved in the latter stages of top class football to consider he may not learn much more by playing for Scotland.

Brave Hearts

Put up 'arry, or shut up.

Would be interesting if this was about someone alluding to a well known south coast manager who wanted to manage his country but allegedly took a cut of player transfer fees.

Which story is more interesting, and relevant .....

Archived