...and then rolled on the 17th May 1998 (It strarted with a Resolve and a kebab)

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

If we’re going to do 10th anniversary reminisces, then we might as well remember the best (and one of the biggest) street celebrations Edinburgh has ever witnessed.

For me, it started with a Resolve, which I’ve always found to be a more palatable alternative to your Alka Seltser. Then I found my kebab and ate the rest it.

I then remembered that Hearts had won the cup. The next step was buy the newspapers before watching the game again. By eleven o’clock, there were friends and relatives in my pokey little Dundee Street flat, before I slapped on the factor 20 and headed down to Gorgie.

The open top bus arrived, and I did my bit for God and Gorgie, before heading to the Wheatsheaf beer garden for the mother of all sessions.

I miss the Wheatsheaf beer garden. It was a quite magnificent weekend.

Never Forget: Great times on May 17th 1998.

Buffalo Bill

Me, I opened my pub early about 9.00am, bearing in mind the last Jambo left about 6.30.

Everybody got the 10.55 train to Haymarket and the last I can mind was having a all day breakfast in the Viet Nam.

The partys on the Monday and Tuesday were brilliant.

Buffalo Bill
sc14.jpg

Jesus, Davey; do you think that guy woke up hungover as hell and thought to himself, "hmm, yes, these weight-lifting bottoms really go with this combat jacket and novelty t-shirt"!!

Guns-n-Amo chic!

I blame violence on TV, personally.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill
Who's that with the big belly?

Dunno mate. But I think I saw him in Ghostbusters.

Rick-Moranis-748183.jpg

Buffalo Bill

knoxyjambo

Woke up on my sisters couch on the sunday morning feelin rough as a badger's erse aged 16, had my exams at that time but it didn't matter to me. The only thing I really wanted to see had happened the day previously. Was meant to meet my uncle in the Royal Mile but ended up catching bus up at West End. As fate would have it met my uncle at Haymarket as the crowds parted (like in the films!) and enjoyed the day from there, will never forget that weekend.

Was at the anniversary dinner last Sunday and met a lot of the heroes from that day and got my programme signed. Gave Stephane Adam a big kiss, the 98 boys were all on top form.

Good times, never to be forgotten, legends to a man.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Got up at 8 having watched a rerun of the game till 4am. Headed for the City Chambers and my mate Mike and I ended up on a BBC Scotland news segment. Mike was actually heading off to live in Birmingham that afternoon.

Back down to Gorgie Road after the bus left to meet it at the Dalry Road junction. Happy days!

Boaby Ewing
sc19.jpg

sc14.jpg

Did Fulham Jambo order an inflatable replica of himself for the parade, but they made it a wee bit on the large size?

Yeup, that can be the only explanation.

Glad I got to the bottom of that.

The Old Tolbooth

God yes, the 17th! Theeeee hangover from hell!!!

In fact, I don't think my hangover kicked in until the 18th to be honest as I stayed drunk!!

I staggered in at around 5am from the day before, and got up at 10am to get the bus up to Edinburgh, I staggered up Plum Tree Brae in Gala to the A7 in search of a bus stop, and as luck would have it one of my mates was driving along heading up to the parade in his car (he was still pished too but I didn't care cos we'd won the cup!!!)

In Gorgie, we headed to Robbo's and started all over again, I was howlin drunk!

I remember drinking bottles of Robertsons ale which had a maroon label on the bottle (anyone else remember this?) and basically cheering anything that moved, from the Hearts team bus, to insects on the wall!

I've never taken drugs in my life, but this is as close as I'd imagined it to be!

Superb!

Dunno mate. But I think I saw him in Ghostbusters.

Rick-Moranis-748183.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Are you blind?

He is about 10st lighter!

P.S - I get the Ghostbusters link ......................

Did Fulham Jambo order an inflatable replica of himself for the parade

Glad I got to the bottom of that.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Geoff Kilpatrick
God yes, the 17th! Theeeee hangover from hell!!!

In fact, I don't think my hangover kicked in until the 18th to be honest as I stayed drunk!!

I staggered in at around 5am from the day before, and got up at 10am to get the bus up to Edinburgh, I staggered up Plum Tree Brae in Gala to the A7 in search of a bus stop, and as luck would have it one of my mates was driving along heading up to the parade in his car (he was still pished too but I didn't care cos we'd won the cup!!!)

In Gorgie, we headed to Robbo's and started all over again, I was howlin drunk!

I remember drinking bottles of Robertsons ale which had a maroon label on the bottle (anyone else remember this?) and basically cheering anything that moved, from the Hearts team bus, to insects on the wall!

I've never taken drugs in my life, but this is as close as I'd imagined it to be!

Superb!

I've still kept a bottle as a souvenir! It made the trip out here as well!! :)

Charlie-Brown

The 18th was a very difficult day after virtually non stop drinking from the afternoon of the 15th right through until the early daylight hours of the 18th barring a couple of drunken sleeps in between then some pre & post match 'celebrating' and the victory parade.......but on the 18th I had to go to work and it was a looooooooooong day and I was a shambles. :)

On the 17th I fell out of bed, went to the paper shop and bought every sunday paper to make sure it had been real and I didn't imagine it, then i went on the victory parade from city chambers all the way to tynie then drank in the roseburn bar where colquhoun & levein were also celebrating then ..... see above.

At this time on 17th May 1998, I was probably having breakfast at my mates at Stapley Ave about an hour or so before heading home. I was heading home purely for a change of clothes and to return back out. Sleep, something that had not been present, would have to wait.

I woke up in my caravan in the Kruger National Park as nervous as hell, a mate had sent me a letter to tell me the game was being played on the sunday. Throughout the day I was convinced we would get beat until about 6pm, I found the backend of an interview with JJ on the BBC world service. I phoned my dad who told me it had been played on saturday. I bought 2 bottles of wine at the camp shop on the way back to the caravan, toasted everybody and had a bit of a greet to myself.

Rudolf's Mate

I was a season ticket holder and was therefore able to see the team do their lap round the pitch after the open bus parade....... However I'm ashamed (well maybe that's too harsh) to say that I didn't get to bed until around 11am Sunday morning and slept right through till the Monday!!!

Gutted!

Craigieboy

After buying every paper in the Southouse mini market, all I could do was look at the pictures.

Wrapped a wee junior Hearts scarf around my terriers collar & headed to Gorgie. Stood next to the traffic lights at Gorgie Farm with the dug & the wife.

The weather was superb & I saw a sight I never though I would ever see.

Fantastic.

PS - the next time around, the dug stayed at home & we took the kids!

Buffalo Bill
I've still kept a bottle as a souvenir!

Ditto.

Buffalo Bill

winston churchill

i got to my bed at 5am-ish, and back up at 7am-ish. i watched the game on video with a large drambuie and the rest of my kebabby from some takeway across from fat sams from the night/a couple of hours before.

i got her indoors to drop me off in gorgie ,and i clocked in at robbos at 10am.after a few we headed over for a few cans in dave bruntons gaff above the tynie arms.after the bus came down mcleod street, we headed for the ardmillan beer garden for some more alfresco drinking ,and the up to the sample room.all i can remember was folk dancing on the tables......and fultons baggio:dribble:

I had to go to Glasgow to visit my Grandparents :mad:

Still, the fact they are Rangers fans made up for it a wee bit :rolleyes:

Toxteth O'Grady

Sore head and bleary eyed, went to get the papers to make sure it was real.

With a bottle of Irn Bru and I sat in the garden looking at the pictures in the papers.

Was supposed to be going to the in laws but I ducked out because of my hangover.

Went into Princes Street for the parade and followed the Bus back to Gorgie.

Had a few beers in various Gorgie boozers and ended up in the Wheatsheaf til chucking out time.

Didn't make work on the Monday:)

Doctor FinnBarr
Me, I opened my pub early about 9.00am, bearing in mind the last Jambo left about 6.30.

Everybody got the 10.55 train to Haymarket and the last I can mind was having a all day breakfast in the Viet Nam.

The partys on the Monday and Tuesday were brilliant.

Is that you Tam?

:)

This must be the ultimate feel good thread - an unbelievable weekend, and like most, no like all others it, will live with me forever, as one of my fondest memories.

Me - I got home @ 06:00, up again at 10:00, and out by 11:00 with Mrs S and our three kids in tow, all with their faces painted. walked across the meadows, and was blown away by the cars with Scottish Cups and Hearts flags and scarfs hanging out of every window, every car seemed to be tooting their horn, the sun was shining and I really was in heaven.

Purchased a sizeable carryout, and headed down to Gorgie Road to wait for the bus. Waited behind the wall in the social work offices in Gorgie Road to make sure the kids had a great view. I met a couple who I guess were in their early 50s, they told me that they had returned home midway through their fortnight holiday in Cornwall (Devon) just to see Hearts with the cup, they had left early in the morning and drove all the way up, and were returning to Cornwall later on the Sunday. The woman told me that she remembered her father taking her to see the Hearts come home with the cup in 56, she said that they had stood near the TSB bank and her Dad had lifted her on his shoulders so she could see, and that I reminded her of that day as I was doing the same with my daughter.

I was 38 at the time, and remember thinking I had waited all my life for this day - I think I was made to wait so I could enjoy it with my family.

I also think I really did consume more alcohol that weekend than ever before (or since) and I'm convinced that I was never even nearly drunk.

I wonder if the team from 98 will ever really appreciate, or understand what it meant to us? I'll treasure it for the rest of my life.

CornhillHearts

Wheatsheaf was a great night, stand up sit down, fire engines the lot, a great night, never to be forgotten.

Adi Dassler

Memories that will last forever.

After a few hours sleep i staggered over to the shops, bouncing off every wall and hedge on the way, to get all the papers.

Thereafter a quick breakfast before banging on the basement door of The Ardmillan to get big Frank to let us in.

The best 2 days of my life, jeez it makes me a wee bit upset even thinking about it.

Your LOCAL team winning their first trophy in 36 year eh, what could be better?

Great day,and I must say I didnt even have a drink because I was wanting to savour the moment when the bus went past,goosebumps are now appearing as I type.

Had to stay relatively sober anyway as I was doing an interview on Reporting Scotland the next morning,on it I sounded like I had gargled with gravel,sounded really rough!

Great memories that I will take to the grave!

Hearts Heritage

I was staying with friends on Leith Links. Woke up about 8:00 ish a beautiful sunny day only 1 wee cloud in the sky; over Easter Road.

There was a ring on the doorbell about 9:00 Manzie was there with a bottle of white and rose sparkling wine that he'd managed to get some shop to sell him despite in being against licensing laws.

The rest as they say is ....

image15.jpg

image14.jpg

image03.jpg

Buffalo Bill
Great day,and I must say I didnt even have a drink because I was wanting to savour the moment when the bus went past,goosebumps are now appearing as I type.

Had to stay relatively sober anyway as I was doing an interview on Reporting Scotland the next morning,on it I sounded like I had gargled with gravel,sounded really rough!

Great memories that I will take to the grave!

My cousin still has it all on video, including your Friday Sportscene bit and all the news clips like Sky and ITN.

Buffalo Bill

Broxburn Jambo
If we’re going to do 10th anniversary reminisces, then we might as well remember the best (and one of the biggest) street celebrations Edinburgh has ever witnessed.

For me, it started with a Resolve, which I’ve always found to be a more palatable alternative to your Alka Seltser. Then I found my kebab and ate the rest it.

I then remembered that Hearts had won the cup. The next step was buy the newspapers before watching the game again. By eleven o’clock, there were friends and relatives in my pokey little Dundee Street flat, before I slapped on the factor 20 and headed down to Gorgie.

The open top bus arrived, and I did my bit for God and Gorgie, before heading to the Wheatsheaf beer garden for the mother of all sessions.

I miss the Wheatsheaf beer garden. It was a quite magnificent weekend.

Never Forget: Great times on May 17th 1998.

Buffalo Bill

I waited in Gorgie Road with Son and daughter and Grandkids for the bus to arrive,

I remember songs and people dancing in the street, I was wishing the bus would get there, I was ready cheer and roar with everyone else. Suddenly it was here I saw the team and the cup and realised the only thing I was doing was crying. FFS I was 43 and crying like a baby, that's when I remembered the of all those finals from 68 on and how important 98 was!!!

janie jones

Just the thread for a wet Saturday morning in the NE of England.

Highlight of the Sunday for me was being in Robertson's bar after the parade watching endless re runs of the whole game (saw it at least three times) and people celebrated the final whistle each time like it had just happenned.

The wee man himself came in with Gary Locke and Neil Pointon and made an impassioned speech about what it meant to him to win the cup. Not ashamed to admit the Robbo's words made me greet!

Later on there was a great moment when a few hundred drunken jambo's stopped the traffic for about an hour outside the Tynie Arms and I heard that night for the first time the "Tell all the Hibs you know.........." song. It was only 98 years in a row then!!

Only the birth of my daughter beats that weekend. Great memories, great thread.

My cousin still has it all on video, including your Friday Sportscene bit and all the news clips like Sky and ITN.

Buffalo Bill

BB.... does he have it on DVD as ive not got a VCR,I would pay him for a DVD copy.

I've still got an unopened bottle of that. What a wee sweat shop Robbo's was on the Sunday night, condensation running down the walls.

After meeting up with Hibs supporting friends in The Venue nightclub to gloat till 3am on the Saturday, Sunday started with a drunken stagger to the local shop and I bought a copy of every paper with a sports section.

I still have them!

My biggest regret is I went to the ground and missed the bus parade. But it was awesome in the ground too.

After I left Tynecastle on 17 May 1998 came what I refer to now as a 'Bordeaux' moment. You see, after we won in Bordeaux, we marched back to the square outside the Connemara pub and I just kinda stood there in stunned silence. Having not expected to celebrate, I had no idea what to do so went back to my hotel in a happy daze.

So by 5pm on 17 May 1998 I was back at home in a happy daze. Making my wee team supporting mothers life hell.

Buffalo Bill
BB.... does he have it on DVD as ive not got a VCR,I would pay him for a DVD copy.

I will try and get it converted for you. He's up here next week and I'll text him now to see if he can dig it out. I wouldn't mind a copy myself and there's a guy on Slateford Road who is excellent at the old Video to DVD conversions.

I'll see what I can do.

Buffalo Bill

I will try and get it converted for you. He's up here next week and I'll text him now to see if he can dig it out. I wouldn't mind a copy myself and there's a guy on Slateford Road who is excellent at the old Video to DVD conversions.

I'll see what I can do.

Buffalo Bill

BB can you pm me the place in Slateford Road as ive got 2 or 3 other things id like transferred.

Cheers

My favourite day ever as a Hearts fan.

The outpouring of emotion was almost overwhelming.

Standing on Gorgie Road outside Robertsons and screaming " Thank you " up to the players. The bus was struggling to get through at seemed to be alongside for an age. The players holding The Cup over the side of the bus to show us.

The Portsmouth and Cardiff fans won't appreciate yet what could potentionally be coming their way.

Just magic.

pennyjambo22

The best feeling ever!! waking up in the morning and remembering WE ONE THE CUP!!!! The day ended with me up the top of the lampost out side my kids bedroom tying my scarf around the top, at the same time the rest of the party were in the street tryng to climb there lamposts! You may ask why, I just felt SO high that being on the ground wasnt good enough. The morning of the 18th and when my 6 year(and 1 winning cup final under his belt) old opened his curtains to see the scarf hi face was priceless. I went back to work on the 20th!!!!! much to the hobos annoyance LOL as the ribbing started all over again. Very Happy Days!!!

alfamonkey

Fantastic thread.

Sat night stayed at my bird's on North Bridge, then as I was an officer in the BB at the time in Leith (obviousl full of hibbies), got a taxi down to Leith to Bible Class (scoff scoff) solely to get it right round them. Mission accomplished it was back home to parents house for change of jambos top, and purchase of every paper going, then off on a bus up to the City chambers to watch the start of the parade with the family. Had a big greet when Lockey came out with the trophy, then bombed round towards Tynecastle. I remember a random car pulled up and offered me and the bird a lift to Gorgie as he could see we were Jambos.

Camped outside Robbo's drinking copious amounts of the above mentioned Robbo's red labelled jambo lager, watched various red skinned males dance about naked on top of Merky Hearts club, then the bus came along. Had another greet as the boys came past, then tried to getinto Tynie for the parade (but she didnae have a season tkt). Eventually got home that evening emotionally and spiritually worse for wear.

Amazing weekend. Such an outpouring, particularly as so unexpected. I had a dvd of the behind the scenes from that weekend and on the bus and of the game that I bought off a boy on eBay but damned if I can find it.

janie jones

Was taking to my Hearts supporting mate about this thread tonight and he reminded me that on getting back to Broxburn on the Sunday armed with newspapers we nipped into his house to get some tape and covered our Hibs supporting mate's car with all the sports pages covering the game.

He probably didn't deserve it as he had agreed to come out with us on the Saturday night after the game wearing a Hearts top if we won as he was so confident we wouldn't. Give him his due he trailed round Broxburn on the Saturday his face tripping him wearing the maroon!!

Denny Crane
I wonder if the team from 98 will ever really appreciate, or understand what it meant to us? I'll treasure it for the rest of my life.

I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to Rousset and Flogel about it.....they understood allright!

For me and that day, I always swore blind I'd have the mother of all ****-ups when we broke that run.

Strangely enough, I only had a couple.......adrenaline had completely taken over and that is one helluva high.

The parade on the Sunday was great but to me, the real parade was when we welcomed the team back on Gorgie Road the night before.

The Sunday did have the added bonus of some red-hot Norwegian chicks on Princes Street as they had had their Norway Day parade before ours.

Dirk Diggler

I remember hugging my Dad at the full time whistle and crying my eyes out.

I then lost 4 days.

pennyjambo22

It was about this time 10 years ago, the wife came into the Pub and demanded that I come home see the kids and get back to work, in the morning. Best days of my LIFE.:)

Unfortunately I had to drive back to Northampton on the Sunday (I'd decided not to book the Monday off as we'd always lost when I did that before). I spent most of the day drinking coke in the Tynie Arms. Never mind my missus made up for it getting pashed after only her second ever Hearts game. (The first being the semi)

I left Edinburgh at about 6 p.m. to drive home. The other half slept all the way home except for the service station on the A74. I had to stop to relieve myself of 10 pints of coke. I returned to the car to find my good lady hanging out the car puking all over the car park.

She's such a lady.

Archived