(boring) broadband query(s)

GlasgoJambo

GlasgoJambo

I've currently got Sky broadband and telephone. When we got it in the flat almost two years ago we had to get a BT openreach box put in. Broadband costs ?10 a month, line rental ?15.60 (calls usually come to about ?3-4 on top of that).

We don't have a TV package and wouldn't ever consider paying extra for one. We don't use the internet much for downloading or streaming at the moment but may in the future. Never had any problems with the current set up or had to phone their help desk although recently it does seem as if the wifi signal has got a bit weaker around the house. That's all the facts.

A quick search on Quidco shows there are clearly much cheaper broadband packages out there right now - many with cashback deals. Sky itself offer a better renewal rate than we are on at the moment. Is there any reason for not going with a company like EE, plusnet or Talk Talk when their rates are more favourable? They're all going to be using the same telephone line so is there any actual difference? Should I enter into a bargaining match with Sky, how far will they go? What sort of things should I be wary about?

Thanking you kindly KB

heartsfc_fan

Switch to BT.

I've just done that and got fibre optic, unlimited downloads etc + BT Sport for free. Speeds are never capped aswell, whereas I think they might be with TalkTalk, SKY etc..

Only working out about ?11 a month more on what I was originally paying.

Ron Burgundy

BT Infinity is only available in certain exchange areas and only then in certain cabinet areas (the green boxes in the street). Sky also do the same fibre product but again dependant on whether the cabinet is fibre enabled. As do Talk Talk and plusnet.

I got rid of the tv package a few months back and just use freeview and lovefilm on the Xbox for now.

I would've been paying ?25 odd a month for line rental and internet.

I had a look around and found a deal with EE for ?11 line rental and ?2 internet....but you have to have a contract phone with them. You can get broadband without having a mobile with them obviously but you don't get the ?10 a month discount.

Edit: never use the house phone so couldn't say for sure what minutes or price of calls are off the top of my head.

For customer service reasons I had with them in the past, I wouldn't use TalkTalk even with a gun to my head.

GlasgoJambo

I got rid of the tv package a few months back and just use freeview and lovefilm on the Xbox for now.

I would've been paying ?25 odd a month for line rental and internet.

I had a look around and found a deal with EE for ?11 line rental and ?2 internet....but you have to have a contract phone with them. You can get broadband without having a mobile with them obviously but you don't get the ?10 a month discount.

Edit: never use the house phone so couldn't say for sure what minutes or price of calls are off the top of my head.

My phone's with EE and saw that offer. Have you had an issues with it?

It's been perfect mate. They sent the router out for free, I paid six pound delivery, but the signal is much better than the hub I had from BT.

I had to call them up after my first bill came through because the person hadn't charged me the line rental up front for the year (?132) which makes it ?11 a month.

The guy sorted it for me easily, I've just opened this month's bill and it's been sorted. Charged for the year line rental (?132), and refunded last months's ?15.40 line rental charge.

So my for the rest of the year, it'll be just ?2 coming out every month.

Perfect so far...and good to know they can sort out issues.

skyhd tv,broadband and phone.no films or sports packages but have two extra with the kids and discovery channels.?64.00 a month not worth it imo, might try bt

GlasgoJambo

It's been perfect mate. They sent the router out for free, I paid six pound delivery, but the signal is much better than the hub I had from BT.

I had to call them up after my first bill came through because the person hadn't charged me the line rental up front for the year (?132) which makes it ?11 a month.

The guy sorted it for me easily, I've just opened this month's bill and it's been sorted. Charged for the year line rental (?132), and refunded last months's ?15.40 line rental charge.

So my for the rest of the year, it'll be just ?2 coming out every month.

Perfect so far...and good to know they can sort out issues.

Thanks for the info.

Dreambox and screw a satellite against your wall for TV. 70 squid got me every channel, Sports, movies, adult, ppv, HD, 3d... for 1 whole year.

Internet... lots of good choices. Make it fast to get plenty content to stick on your dreambox.

Phone... mobile will do. Look after a decent handset long enough and snag a Sim only deal with adequate minutes.

Get a data boost on the mobile with the EE deal too. From 4GB to 10GB. Think I'll be signing up for that

Archived