Subway stops selling bacon and ham for Muslims

Captain Price

Sheriff Fatman

Restaurant in selling food that will increase it's potential local clientele shock.

Free market capitalism at work.

Guest C00l K1d

Complete non story.

200 stores nationwide, how many is that in the grand scheme of things considering there is about 15 (or quite possibly a lot more) in Edinburgh alone.

Folk giving it ''becoming a minority'' because a sandwich shop has changed it's menu in a few stores to give muslims the chance to eat there :facepalm:

Can muslims eat in Subway just now? Or not because the pig meat is prepared in the same place as everything else?

Don't see why they don't just supplement the current choices with halal meat rather than removing bacon and ham.

What does annoy me is that Halal producers are allowed to kill the animals without pre-shocking them on the grounds of religion.

Felix Lighter

As a member of the National Bacon Buttie Association I'd just like to say,from my cold dead hands.

Chris Benoit

The bint from PETA sounds like a right laugh :rolleyes:

Misleading thread title, there's between 1500-2000 stores in the UK and this only affects 200 or so. Personally don't see the problem Muslims have as much a right to eat over priced sandwiches as everyone else

Guest C00l K1d

Don't see why they don't just supplement the current choices with halal meat rather than removing bacon and ham.

What does annoy me is that Halal producers are allowed to kill the animals without pre-shocking them on the grounds of religion.

They have. In the halal stores they'll sell turkey bacon and ham instead of bacon.

They have. In the halal stores they'll sell turkey bacon and ham instead of bacon.

That is replacing, not supplementing.

Guest C00l K1d

I thought ham wasn't acceptable as from pig? Or you saying turkey ham?

Either way I don't see why don't sell both what's the big deal? People just choose which one they want. Freedom of choice. You want halal meat you select that you want pig bacon you can choose that?

Genuinely is there reason can't stock both?

Afaik they would have to have 2 different places for sandwiches to be made if they had both. They can't be prepared in the same place.

Probably just easier to take out the ham and bacon and replace it with turkey.

I would be genuinely surprised if there were more than 2 subways in Edinburgh that convert into this.

The exact same thing happened with KFC and the only one of the top of my head that converted to Halal is the one at meadowbank

Guest C00l K1d

Cool though I've seen butchers that stock both, so just assumed it was the slaughter was issue.

I don't care as long as don't **** with my cheese and steak. Though I'm a selfish prick that way.

I might have been thinking of kosher meat mind.

Sure muslims think that pigs are dirty though so wouldn't want food to be contaminated. I might've also just made that up though :laugh:

Seriously though, anyone that feels that strongly about having bacon on their sandwich can more often than not walk 5/10 minutes to the next subway. They're ******* everywhere.

So if you want bacon you can't have it because of someone' else's sky fairies :lol:

Why not sell both and only buy what your sky fairy says is ok.

Why remove it from the menu?

indianajones

So if you want bacon you can't have it because of someone' else's sky fairies :lol:

Why not sell both and only buy what your sky fairy says is ok.

Why remove it from the menu?

Sums it up for me.

Ridiculous.

Toxteth O'Grady

Subway sells synthetic looking processed crap in a bit of dried up bread.

It amazes me that the still exist

Subway can do what they want, shite food anyway.

Far more concerned with the fact that you can get away with killing an animal without stunning it first purely on religious grounds whereas anyone else who doesn't follow that particular religion would be breaking the law. Barbaric and double standards.

What a bunch of numpties on here crying about something they've probably never come across. My two local Subway's do halal. I don't have a problem with it, the fact is that 50% of the population in my area are Bengali and mostly Muslim. The Subway franchises in question seem to be staffed accordingly with the local population and are probably Bengali run also. Every restaurant/takeaway from my flat until I reach Spitalfields is halal.

You're not very likely to find a halal Subway in Edinburgh or the Lothian's. The mere 200 Subway's in the country that sell halal meat would go bust if they didn't.

That's the account to get if it suits you better. It's only discrimination if they don't let you open one.

The hilarious thing is that the Islamic Bank of Britain charges interest on loans and overdrafts but just call it something else.

Folk who believe in this bullshit (Muslims) are weird and not deserving of the slightest respect for this.

Their pointless, paranoid views should just be disregarded. Bacon sarnies all round!

"I'll only eat an orange if it's peeled for me by a left-handed person on a Wednesday" makes no more or less sense.

I used to love having barbies with Pork & Bacon on the Abu Dhabi beach on 'Friday Holy Day' in the late nineties, the natives were like the 'Bisto Kids' and then there was the alcohol, I miss those days.....

The article states "In Britain, killing an animal without prior stunning is illegal, but the law gives special exemption to Muslim and Jewish meat producers on the grounds of religion."

For "stunning" to become law, a fair bit of research must have been carried out with lots of hard evidence to show that stunning animals before slaughter causes them less suffering. Parliament has then considered this evidence and decided it was a good idea before the appropriate laws were passed.

I just can't understand why exceptions on religious grounds would even be considered.

Say What Again

I wouldn't mind being a halal supplier.

Subway, for instance, now need a supplier for 200 stores. They can't buy from the vast majority of UK suppliers as that method of slaughter is prohibited in this country.

Kerr-ching

:(

another version of our our proud country bending over and taking it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

surely not

That depends if you think our proud country is only comprised if people who eat bacon. And of course of a certain ethnic make up.

Some people would say it's an example of our proud country and it's growing multicultural make up.

Large groups tend to have political sway, as well votes get people elected and these groups can influence how large numbers of people may vote.

It's not about doing what's right but what's easiest I guess. Let's be honest politicians don't care about what's right just being elected and the power/benefits that come with that,

Surely the largest group in this country has to be the meat eaters who expect their meat to be humanely sourced. Any sensible politician or business should be taking that into account.

Guest C00l K1d

another version of our our proud country bending over and taking it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

surely not

BROKEN BRITAIN.

BRITISH BACON FOR BRITISH PEOPLE.

FREE THE BACON

Personally i see it as a company showing compassion and understanding for someone elses beliefs and implementing a means for people of that religion to eat at their stores.

BROKEN BRITAIN.

BRITISH BACON FOR BRITISH PEOPLE.

FREE THE BACON

Personally i see it as a company showing compassion and understanding for someone elses beliefs and implementing a means for people of that religion to eat at their stores.

By removing the "religious" tag, the method of slaughter used is considered cruel / inhumane. I don't see much compassion in unnecessary suffering for animals.

Surely the largest group in this country has to be the meat eaters who expect their meat to be humanely sourced. Any sensible politician or business should be taking that into account.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but for clarity nobody REALLY gives a shit how humanely their food is sourced beyond sharing a link on Facebook or something.

In relation to the topic, Subway are a private company and will do whatever they can to make money. It's a shame it's annoyed some people but that's life. They don't owe you anything.

Guest C00l K1d

By removing the "religious" tag, the method of slaughter used is considered cruel / inhumane. I don't see much compassion in unnecessary suffering for animals.

Like all the meat we eat is killed in a humane way :laugh:

What about the stuff like cutting chickens beaks of with a hot blade so they can't peck at each other and force feeding live stock to the point of bursting to get the most of the meat out of them? Just of the top of my head likes.

I'm not a vegetarian or that, but i'm not gonna sit and pretend the big bad muslims are torturing their animals to death whilst the majority of our animals like a happy peaceful life until they are humanely put down.

Imagine where the likes of Subways meat is coming from aswell. Hardly going to be free range organic farms. :laugh:

Having worked as a food buyer professionally, it is near on impossible to ethically source food without any doubt!

Wonder how many folk taking the moral high ground buy 'happy eggs' from Tesco because the label says happy eggs?? Terrible animal rights record!

I doubt there will be much difference in the pork content between their turkey ham and their current ham.

Creepy Lurker

One thing that I've noticed is that quite a lot of people seem to suddenly become animal rights activists as soon as Islam's involved.

As an aside I thought subway was a franchise system? So probably more down to beliefs of franchise owners.

Yep, see post 21. There are also some areas that a non halal food establishment would be as well not opening its doors.

Rocco_Jambo

One thing that I've noticed is that quite a lot of people seem to suddenly become animal rights activists as soon as Islam's involved.

The one thing I've noticed is people creating an animal cruelty issue in to an Islam issue whenever halal meat is debated.

scott_jambo

Worth mentioning that muslims are not demanding this.

Some smart arse subway executive has looked at the demo-graphics of the local areas of it's franchises and came up with this solution as a way to improve their profit margins.

How dare muslims live in Britain and inadvertently affect capitalist market forces. The temerity of them.

Rocco_Jambo

Worth mentioning that muslims are not demanding this.

Some smart arse subway executive has looked at the demo-graphics of the local areas of it's franchises and came up with this solution as a way to improve their profit margins.

How dare muslims live in Britain and inadvertently affect capitalist market forces. The temerity of them.

I've not really read much about this other than on here but can you point me to a link for the part about the Subway executive so that I can read it. Cheers.

scott_jambo

I've not really read much about this other than on here but can you point me to a link for the part about the Subway executive so that I can read it. Cheers.

It's my analysis of the situation so there is no link. Critical thinking > Daily Mail. Try it some day. :thumbsup:

rossthejambo

Surely the fact that it's in the Daily Mail should be enough to suggest it might be written in a slightly anti Islam way.

Rocco_Jambo

It's my analysis of the situation so there is no link. Critical thinking > Daily Mail. Try it some day. :thumbsup:

Not that I disagree with you but trying to make a point about what Muslims are or aren't demanding and what Subway excutives are thinking as you did from nothing makes your 'critical' thinking look like you are plucking information out your arse just like the daily mail.

It's business. If Subway franchisees think they can make more money flogging halal sandwiches rather than swine sandwiches, that's their prerogative. Although I'd rather go to Oink for a hog roast roll, washed down with a BLT and some pork scratchings.

Archived