Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I love better call saul, think I prefer it to breaking bad. Only thing is it's a bit off putting how all the characters look older than they did in breaking bad when it's set years before it :lol:

Yeah. Mike in particular is looking ancient and is getting way too old to be the tough guy character. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert

"A State of Happiness" is an 8 part series on Saturday night on BBC 4, which opened this weekend with a two part double bill. Norwegian but not for once Scandi Noir. It is set in 1969 in the small fishing town of Stavanger, then suffering hard times as the fishing industry slumped. The town and the lives of its inhabitants are changed when the first giant North Seas oil field, Ekofisk, is discovered by Phillips Petroleum. Of particular interest to anyone involved in the oil and gas industry and familiar with Stavanger but well made and promising as a drama in itself.

One interesting point was how the local authority grasped the opportunities given, bypassing the central Government. The Shetland Islands Council acted in a similar way here. "What might have been" in Scotland might be a poignant side theme for Scots given the contrasts between Norway's exploitation of its windfall and the UK's choice to use it to destroy much of its existing industry.

Can't warm to After Life. Its meant to be a comedy but it's only 10% amusing and 90% sad and overly sentimental. 

Seymour M Hersh

Binged (only 5 episodes total) a really good documentary on History last Saturday. Lost Relics of he Knights Templar. 

6 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Gangs of London started good ended a bit meh worth watching thought .

5 EPs in. So farfetched it's unreal but still fairly watchable

JimmyCant
6 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Gangs of London started good ended a bit meh worth watching thought .

Hmmmmm Gratuitous bloody violence and sex. Shite scripts. Awful casting and acting. Unbelievable characters doing unbelievable things and predicable plots. I’m still watching it rather strangely though.

JimmyCant

Top Boy. Really REALLY good 8/10

Flint Town on Netflix. Really good cop documentary about the poorest most violent city in the US. Watched it all in one day 8/10

Code 404 3/10 for the first 20 minutes. Switched off after that. Strange because I really like both lead actors in it.

The Innocence Files on Netflix 7/10 various shocking tales of wrongful conviction in the US. The dental expert In it is feckin nuts. No wonder I’m scared of dentists 🦷 Good Lockdown viewing.

18 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Can't warm to After Life. Its meant to be a comedy but it's only 10% amusing and 90% sad and overly sentimental. 

Comedy?

Samuel Camazzola
19 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Brilliantly written, cast and acted in my opinion. Gervais is a master when it comes to this stuff. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Brilliantly written, cast and acted in my opinion. Gervais is a master when it comes to this stuff. 

Only this and the golden globes, the rest of his stuff is chronic. How he gets away with Derek etc... Is beyond me.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Only this and the golden globes, the rest of his stuff is chronic. How he gets away with Derek etc... Is beyond me.

Derek was great in my opinion. Extras was class and The Office goes without saying. 

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Top Boy. Really REALLY good 8/10

Flint Town on Netflix. Really good cop documentary about the poorest most violent city in the US. Watched it all in one day 8/10

Code 404 3/10 for the first 20 minutes. Switched off after that. Strange because I really like both lead actors in it.

The Innocence Files on Netflix 7/10 various shocking tales of wrongful conviction in the US. The dental expert In it is feckin nuts. No wonder I’m scared of dentists 🦷 Good Lockdown viewing.

I enjoyed “ the innocence project “  all very sad tales of injustice and great analysis of the different types of evidence used in

court or forensic , dental , eye witness evidence etc . Even more striking is 90% plus are all black men . Shocking 

JudyJudyJudy

“ Hollywood “ on Netflix is brilliant . Very funny at points but an excellent expose of the male casting couch in 1940s Hollywood 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Derek was great in my opinion. Extras was class and The Office goes without saying. 

Horses for courses. 👍

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Horses for courses. 👍

👍 Some folk like the 'comedy' that comes from the west of Scotland but I find the patter chronic. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍 Some folk like the 'comedy' that comes from the west of Scotland but I find the patter chronic. 

:what:

:D

The Internet

I love Gervais from the xfm shows/podcasts/office/idiot abroad but I find a lot of his stuff just pretentious, can't really describe it but he always plays this insufferable snarky guy who turns it round and then right at the end everyone loves him. Haven't watched after life but it seems like more of the same. By all accounts Stephen Merchant is the better writer. 

Did enjoy Karl's show Sick of It. Thought it was a bit more real, dark but funny. 

48 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I love Gervais from the xfm shows/podcasts/office/idiot abroad but I find a lot of his stuff just pretentious, can't really describe it but he always plays this insufferable snarky guy who turns it round and then right at the end everyone loves him. Haven't watched after life but it seems like more of the same. By all accounts Stephen Merchant is the better writer. 

Did enjoy Karl's show Sick of It. Thought it was a bit more real, dark but funny. 

Definitely rate this more than After Life.

jamb0_1874

Loved the ending to homeland 👍

How often do you find long running shows like this ending in a disappointing way but thankfully not this one. 

Edited by jamb0_1874

1971fozzy
On 04/05/2020 at 18:26, Ray Gin said:

I think it’s awful.  Usually like his stuff as well but Christ this is depressing 

On 05/05/2020 at 20:26, jamb0_1874 said:

Loved the ending to homeland 👍

How often do you find long running shows like this ending in a disappointing way but thankfully not this one. 

Yeah it was great. Solid final season.

luckyBatistuta
On 04/05/2020 at 18:26, Ray Gin said:

On 05/05/2020 at 13:58, Samuel Camazzola said:

On 06/05/2020 at 22:11, 1971fozzy said:

I think it’s awful.  Usually like his stuff as well but Christ this is depressing 

‘I’ve always hated Gervais, never found the guy funny in the least.  My sister however recommended this to me and she also hates him. As she wasn’t a fan of him either, but still thought it was really good, I decided to give it a go. As Camazzola has said, I think this is brilliantly written stuff. It’s really sad at parts with some great acting by Gervais himself. As for the comedy element of it, I’ve laughed so many times throughout this, some hilarious moments. I just couldn’t stop watching it from the moment I pressed play on the first episode, I’d highly recommend it to anyone.

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘I’ve always hated Gervais, never found the guy funny in the least.  My sister however recommended this to me and she also hates him. As she wasn’t a fan of him either, but still thought it was really good, I decided to give it a go. As Camazzola has said, I think this is brilliantly written stuff. It’s really sad at parts with some great acting by Gervais himself. As for the comedy element of it, I’ve laughed so many times throughout this, some hilarious moments. I just couldn’t stop watching it from the moment I pressed play on the first episode, I’d highly recommend it to anyone.

👍 Good to hear you enjoyed it. If you're still needing a fix of it, the outtakes are well worth a watch. 

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍 Good to hear you enjoyed it. If you're still needing a fix of it, the outtakes are well worth a watch. 

Cheers bud👍

The Internet

Ricky's outtakes are always funnier than the actual show. Some brilliant outtakes from Derek with David Earl and Karl pilkington. Think that's when he's funniest actually, when he's reacting to things going on around him and that's why the xfm shows and podcasts are some of the funniest things I've ever heard. 

Samuel Camazzola
22 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Ricky's outtakes are always funnier than the actual show. Some brilliant outtakes from Derek with David Earl and Karl pilkington. Think that's when he's funniest actually, when he's reacting to things going on around him and that's why the xfm shows and podcasts are some of the funniest things I've ever heard. 

The outtakes when Derek is wrestling Dougie is funny! 😂

Unknown user
On 05/05/2020 at 18:52, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Basically this except I didnt take to Sick of it. Absolutely love all the rest of the Karl stuff though, I even changed my name to ManMoth on here for a while.

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The outtakes when Derek is wrestling Dougie is funny! 😂

Gervais physically abusing pilkington is always funny, always. 

jambopilms

Watching The Last Dance on Netflix

About the Chicago Bulls and more specifically Michael Jordan. A good watch for sports fans. I don't think he comes across as a very likeable bloke but it's probably down to his winners mentality.

I have just discovered Taskmaster on Dave very enjoyable and easy watching.

On 11/05/2020 at 18:18, Smithee said:

Basically this except I didnt take to Sick of it. Absolutely love all the rest of the Karl stuff though, I even changed my name to ManMoth on here for a while.

Gervais physically abusing pilkington is always funny, always. 

Hello ladies with merchant in it is a good watch too

On 12/05/2020 at 18:04, jambopilms said:

Watching The Last Dance on Netflix

About the Chicago Bulls and more specifically Michael Jordan. A good watch for sports fans. I don't think he comes across as a very likeable bloke but it's probably down to his winners mentality.

I have just discovered Taskmaster on Dave very enjoyable and easy watching.

Bob Mortimer on task master = his element

Constantly has everyone in stitches

Ron Burgundy
On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 14:26, Samuel Camazzola said:

They were funny.

Cheers for putting the outtakes of afterlife on otherwise I'd have probably never watched it. 

Just watched two seasons in like 2 days. That was absolutely genius stuff from Gervais. 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Cheers for putting the outtakes of afterlife on otherwise I'd have probably never watched it. 

Just watched two seasons in like 2 days. That was absolutely genius stuff from Gervais. 

👍 

There's likely a lot of content out there that couldn't be aired. 

Finished all 5 seasons of Fringe in less than a month.  It was my first time watching it since it aired originally and I loved it just as much the second time around.  

Also watched Firefly with my GF who had never seen it before, topped it off with Serenity and she has joined the ranks of Browncoats around the world lamenting that it was cancelled too early. 

So just finished the 2nd season of a Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix and its such a light easy watch. Neil Patrick Harris is brilliant in it. 

luckyBatistuta
14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

👏👏👏 Fantastic series

Re-watching Arrested Development on Netflix. I'd forgotten how good this was before they brought out that crap follow up season several years later.

tenor.gif?itemid=3450456

Malinga the Swinga
On 7 May 2020 at 23:05, Jeff said:

Gangs of London ended up being dog shite

Have to disagree. Top notch from first to last. Much as the SPFL, trust nobody and get your retaliation in first.

I'm looking for a replacement comedy for Modern Family, not something to binge watch, something funny enough to look forward to at the end of the week. Any suggestions?

Carl Fredrickson
50 minutes ago, Alex said:

I'm looking for a replacement comedy for Modern Family, not something to binge watch, something funny enough to look forward to at the end of the week. Any suggestions?

I really enjoyed Parks & Rec (apart from the last series). Not sure if it has dated well. A guy at work recommended Young Offenders - not quite in the Modern Family league but a decent watch with some very funny moments. 

Always Sunny In Philadelphia is funny but nuts. A very easy watch. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia 

Arrested Development 

Curb Your Enthusiasm

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I really enjoyed Parks & Rec (apart from the last series). Not sure if it has dated well. A guy at work recommended Young Offenders - not quite in the Modern Family league but a decent watch with some very funny moments. 

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Arrested Development 

Curb Your Enthusiasm

What a man

The Internet
23 hours ago, Alex said:

Brooklyn nine nine 

23 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Have to disagree. Top notch from first to last. Much as the SPFL, trust nobody and get your retaliation in first.

Each to their own. Having loved shows like Gomorrah and Narcos it just felt far too unrealistic and farfetched for me. 

The cinematics were cool but the spoiler below was my turning point.

the gypsy took a bomb to the chest, was shot about 30x and was still fighting back!

On 16/05/2020 at 21:14, Alex said:

Young Sheldon is good if you liked Modern Family.

On 16/05/2020 at 22:07, Carl Fredrickson said:

I've seen Young Offenders, very good yet very different to Modern Family. Will take a look at Parks & Recreation and Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

On 16/05/2020 at 23:39, Ray Gin said:

Arrested Development 

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Two votes for Always Sunny, will give that a try first,then the others.

22 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Brooklyn nine nine 

Cheers, would have been a shout, I already watch/enjoy.

7 hours ago, benny said:

Young Sheldon is good if you liked Modern Family.

Cheers, but again already one I watch.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series