Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Carl Fredrickson

Black Mirror been recommended to me. Anyone watched any of it ?

I watched it a couple of years ago. C4 programme each as a standalone (IIRC) some far better than others. About half a dozen made. I found the first few to be better and funnier than the others but not sure if it is something i would recommend. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 episodes into Stranger Things and it is cracking. Love all the wee parts that reflect movies from the 80s. 

Very gripping show and just wish I could have binged on it rather than having to watch one a night due to work/family commitments. 

Enjoyed a few of the Netflix Originals

Finally caught this, absolutely superb, can't wait for Season Two.

Riddley Walker

Black Mirror been recommended to me. Anyone watched any of it ?

Absolutely superb IMO. Each episode is stand-alone and some are better than others, but all round an extremely interesting, weird and thought-provoking series of episodes.

I think there's a new series coming out fairly soon as well.

Carl Fredrickson

Agreed, just finished watching the last episode.........what now?

Series 2?

We watched The Get Down after ST & really enjoyed it. Set in the 70s rather than the 80s but well worth a watch

Carl Fredrickson

Having another go at The Get Down. It's warming up a bit now the stories are settling down.

The way it was filmed, the first couple of episodes take a bit of getting used to but by the end of it I was loving it. 

Not into disco or rap or hip hop but the soundtrack for the show is great 

Finished episode 5 of The Night Of and it is gripping. Not fast passed or lots of action but great acting and script make it a must see

I still have to finish Better Call Saul and Orange is the New Black. Better get round to it...

I think for me there is a message or two when I don't finish a multi season series.

Examples of stuff I haven't finished and why.

Better Call Saul. It was decent enough but very slow in parts. I just wasn't excited enough by the story line to make time for it.

Dexter. I watched 2 seasons of this and the novelty wore off.

Breaking Bad. Just didn't get hooked. 2 seasons and binned it.

Sons of anarchy. Weird one because I watched 5 seasons avidly and gave up near the end of season 6.

Stuff I have stuck with start to finish

GOT

Suits, although it's had a couple of lulls lately

Greys anatomy. Guilty pleasure with Mrs CollyWolly

Fargo. There has only been two seasons but I can't wait for the 3rd

Watched the first episode of a new Australian show called Cleverman on iPlayer last night. Quite interesting and according to online reviews really picks up after the customary confusing 1st episode trying to introduce characters and storyline. Supernatural drama based on Aboriginal folklore. A bit like District 9 with a new species of human called the HAirymen by the Aboriginals who are kept in a seclusion are by the authorities, obviously like District 9 the subscript is about a whole lot more relating to refugees etc. 

I think I'll try to stick with it.

Finished the first 4 seasons of American horror story last night.

First 2 are absolutely brilliant. 3rd is not bad but a decent watch and the 4th was pretty average.

Just started on stranger things. Has promise but I'm yet to really get excited by it after the first 2 episodes.

Gave up on stranger things.

Started on Hanibal. 5 minutes in and I'm hooked.

I couldnt see the fuss about " stranger things"...I gave it 5 episodes and decided this is a rip off, of the X files, ET, Goonies etc. Its more a childrens tv show i feel.  Its all been done before.

Whereas " Hannibal" is class in very way. Stunning tv.

Just finished " The night of" . Id highly recommend it. Its brilliant TV. A very intriguing story and superb acting from auld timers and new comers.

The Asian actor  Riz Ahmed  who plays the lead is outstanding. He has been in some good stuff ( Ill manors, Nightcrawler). 

Thet John Turturro plays a great role as a jaded lawyer.  There is also outstanding support from the actor who plays the detective ( cant remember his name but hes one of those familiar actors we all see in things). The actress who plays the DA is stunning in this. She is Jeanie Berlin and took about a 30 years break from acting and has only recently came back to films and TV. Shes a brilliant character actress. 

Also for those who miss "The wire" and " Boardwalk empire" ,Omar and Chalkie turn up aka Michael K Williams. 

Enjoyed Stranger Things myself

Started watching Suits 2 days ago and just finished the first series already :lol: Really enjoying it so far!

Edited by Simo

William H. Bonney

Just finished " The night of" . Id highly recommend it. Its brilliant TV. A very intriguing story and superb acting from auld timers and new comers.

The Asian actor Riz Ahmed who plays the lead is outstanding. He has been in some good stuff ( Ill manors, Nightcrawler).

Thet John Turturro plays a great role as a jaded lawyer. There is also outstanding support from the actor who plays the detective ( cant remember his name but hes one of those familiar actors we all see in things). The actress who plays the DA is stunning in this. She is Jeanie Berlin and took about a 30 years break from acting and has only recently came back to films and TV. Shes a brilliant character actress.

Also for those who miss "The wire" and " Boardwalk empire" ,Omar and Chalkie turn up aka Michael K Williams.

And the actor who plays dan Taylor, the stepfather, was Mickey Doyle in boardwalk empire.

Carl Fredrickson

The Asian actor  Riz Ahmed  who plays the lead is outstanding. He has been in some good stuff ( Ill manors, Nightcrawler). 

Thet John Turturro plays a great role as a jaded lawyer.  There is also outstanding support from the actor who plays the detective ( cant remember his name but hes one of those familiar actors we all see in things). The actress who plays the DA is stunning in this. She is Jeanie Berlin and took about a 30 years break from acting and has only recently came back to films and TV. Shes a brilliant character actress. 

I did Google Jeanie Berlin as I was intrigued by what you say but according to Wiki she has done a few things, though since 1976 she has had gaps of 14 years, 13 years  & 8 years.

So out of  the last 40 years she has had 35 barren years. I wish I could take that kind of career break!  

And the actor who plays dan Taylor, the stepfather, was Mickey Doyle in boardwalk empire.

Thats right . !! i was trying to place him. I knew he was familiar but it was probably because he was in 1930s garb that i didn't recognize him !

I did Google Jeanie Berlin as I was intrigued by what you say but according to Wiki she has done a few things, though since 1976 she has had gaps of 14 years, 13 years  & 8 years.

So out of  the last 40 years she has had 35 barren years. I wish I could take that kind of career break!  

Yeah  i exaggerated a bit but she came to prominence around 1973 as a new talent then kinds disappeared for a good period of time. Good to see her back.  I hope that if they do a second series of this her character returns and Turturros and the police guy as i felt they were a  great combination. Be a shame not to have them back again. 

Carl Fredrickson

Yeah  i exaggerated a bit but she came to prominence around 1973 as a new talent then kinds disappeared for a good period of time. Good to see her back.  I hope that if they do a second series of this her character returns and Turturros and the police guy as i felt they were a  great combination. Be a shame not to have them back again. 

:2thumbsup:  I agree totally. I wonder what she did inbetween acting? I will Google that after work. It is one of my favourite crime shows. 

Rudolf's Mate

Enjoyed Stranger Things myself

Started watching Suits 2 days ago and just finished the first series already :lol: Really enjoying it so far!

I'm halfway through season 6 and it gets better and better. 

I'm halfway through season 6 and it gets better and better. 

Its jumped the shark in Season 6 though. Probably should have ended in Season Five but with a slightly happier ending

Edited by Chester?

Rudolf's Mate

Its jumped the shark in Season 6 though. Probably should have ended in Season Five but with a slightly happier ending

I'm really enjoying it tbh and would be happy for it to continue

I'm really enjoying it tbh and would be happy for it to continue

Its got another season. The story has been even more far fetched than it was originally intended. While the acting and production are still top notch, the storyline is fecking ridiculous.

Rudolf's Mate

Its got another season. The story has been even more far fetched than it was originally intended. While the acting and production are still top notch, the storyline is fecking ridiculous.

Aye there's no disputing that. Louis Litt has been outstanding though :lol:

Gave up on stranger things.

Started on Hanibal. 5 minutes in and I'm hooked.

Hannibal is right up there for me. Thought the ending was about as good as it gets. Edited by Rudolf's Mate

After reading several posts I decided to make a start on The Night Of. Only watched the first episode however it's a great shout. Not going to lie, I thought it was a bit slow in first 15 mins and thought I might not even make it through the first episode however really glad I did!

Stuart McNeill

Trying to watch stranger things..

Two episodes in, it seems shite.

I don't know what I was expecting tbf.i started watched narco, but for some reason stopped. I'll go back to it though.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Finished The Night Of and it was ******* brilliant!

Some amazing performances but watching the main character go from a seemingly squeaky clean graduate to a total wizard up drug fiend and the impact it has on him :wow:

I'm absolutely exhausted after doing 4 episodes last night. I got to 12:30 and thought **** it I'll just do the last one! I didn't realise it was 90 mins long!

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

Finished the first 4 seasons of American horror story last night.

First 2 are absolutely brilliant. 3rd is not bad but a decent watch and the 4th was pretty average.

Just started on stranger things. Has promise but I'm yet to really get excited by it after the first 2 episodes.

American Horror story is brilliant.  Most fans believe the second series " Asylum" was the best. I agree. I also like " Coven" and " Murder house" not so keen on " Freak show" or " Hotel".  However even the crapper seasons are still relatively good. The new season began last night in America. 

American Horror story is brilliant.  Most fans believe the second series " Asylum" was the best. I agree. I also like " Coven" and " Murder house" not so keen on " Freak show" or " Hotel".  However even the crapper seasons are still relatively good. The new season began last night in America. 

Good summary mate.  Im gonna watch new season tonight. 

Just finished the second series of Gomorrah - fantastic! Bloodline s2 up next or possibly The Night Of.

I've just watched series 1 and then 2 again. Brilliant! Series 3 I think is finished but I don't know when it is due to air in the UK?

Just finished the second series of Gomorrah - fantastic! Bloodline s2 up next or possibly The Night Of.

Go for The Night Of! I liked Bloodline S1 (not watched 2 yet) however Bloodline S2 would need go onto a different level to get close to TNO. 

A couple of episodes in on season 2 of True Detective. Tried watching it ages ago with the Mrs however she didn't take to it and I meant to come back sooner. Quite liking it so far. 

Go for The Night Of! I liked Bloodline S1 (not watched 2 yet) however Bloodline S2 would need go onto a different level to get close to TNO.

A couple of episodes in on season 2 of True Detective. Tried watching it ages ago with the Mrs however she didn't take to it and I meant to come back sooner. Quite liking it so far.

I'm off to the states today and have downloaded all of TNO so that's pretty much won the race! Will keep me from drinking every night.

Say What Again

I've just started deadwood and although I struggle to understand some of the characters I'll stick with it.

The mere mention of Deadwood upsets me :(

Never enjoyed a tv show coming to its climax as much as I did with Deadwood.... then they axed it one season early and cobbled together the most unsatisfactory ending ever.

Years later I'm still gutted :(

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series