Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Gerd Muller

Started Shades of Blue with Ray Liotta and Jennifer Lopez. Watching on kodi. About corrupt NYPD cops. Not bad so far.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jack D and coke

My no1 show without a doubt. Only slightly spoiled it by watching for a third time!

Don't read this if you haven't watched it yet....

First time I watched it I actually thought the whole family got capped at the end. Just the way it built it up with the music.

I'm stuck over what to watch next. Waiting on Banshee to finish so I can start that. Just finished Walking Dead last night.

The new Banshee has been good as well btw. Only 3 episodes left! Some brutal deaths[emoji1]

Carl Fredrickson

JD&C, if you enjoyed Sopranos, then there was a spin off called Lilyhammer. It has the character played by Steve Van Zandt going into witness protection. 

A very good watch with some great funny bits

Rudolf's Mate

The new Banshee has been good as well btw. Only 3 episodes left! Some brutal deaths[emoji1]

:2thumbsup: I'll wait until there's 1 episode left and start watching.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

jack D and coke

JD&C, if you enjoyed Sopranos, then there was a spin off called Lilyhammer. It has the character played by Steve Van Zandt going into witness protection.

I loved it mate. Sylvio was Steve Van Danten? Excellent I'll watch that[emoji1360]

Carl Fredrickson

I loved it mate. Sylvio was Steve Van Danten? Excellent I'll watch that[emoji1360]

Aye. He missed a number of gigs with Bruce Springsteen due to filming commitments. Theres a bit of subtitles but it didnt spoil it for me. Some of the characters are amazing, though series 3 saw it get a bit darker with less humour. 

Robbofan99

Sopranos finished then. Enjoyed it loads it's one of the best shows I've ever watched definitely. Not 100% sure what to make of the ending I actually thought my power had cut off....I need to watch it again....

I'm gutted it's over though.....

Its that horrible feeling when a show ends..like reading a good book and its get to the end. 

JudyJudyJudy

I actually thought I'd had a power cut then the credits rolled[emoji1]It's hard to know if that guy is going to take him out or not. Quite a weird bit though he walks in and I thought he saw himself sitting down before the build up leading towards potentially something big happening. Does that guy go to the toilet to get a weapon or not? Is the black out meant to be him dead? Guess it leaves it to your own interpretation and possibly seeing Tony dead would've have ruined it. None of the families are ever touched so surely they're not all dead? I'd read the ending was controversial but can't say I think it's that bad once I've watched it a couple of times and read David Chase's explanation.

How do i put something up as a " spoiler" on this. I can answer some of the above but it would be a spoiler.

jack D and coke

How do i put something up as a " spoiler" on this. I can answer some of the above but it would be a spoiler.

[spoiler ] insert spoiler text here [/spoiler ]

I've just added a space at the end of the spoiler before you enter the text but you don't do that obviously[emoji1360]

Edited by jack D and coke

Riddley Walker

It's not a spin-off mate, he's a totally new character. Pretty much plays it the same though :lol:

Only watched the first series, it's a decent enough watch.

JudyJudyJudy

[spoiler ] insert spoiler text here [/spoiler ]

I've just added a space at the end of the spoiler before you enter the text but you don't do that obviously[emoji1360]

ill try it just now

spoiler  blah blah blah spoiler 

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy

obviously didnt do it right lol

blah blah blah

Edited by JamesM48

jack D and coke

ill try it just now

spoiler blah blah blah spoiler

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] you've got to use the brackets as well!

jack D and coke

obviously didnt do it right lol

[spolier] blah blah blah [ spoiler]

Nearly it's spoiler btw not spolier.

Quote this so you can see...

blah blah

JudyJudyJudy

Managed it...

The ending for the Sops left a lot to desired i think. I was disappointed with it and Chase ( the writers) view that it was up to the viewer to make up their own mind about what happened to Tony. I would have prefer a clear ending with a resolution. There are countless theories online about this.  The one i prefer is that Tony is hit.  There is an episode a few in the final season when he speaks to Bobby ( he was married to Janice) and then talk about death and hits. They both agree that they probably wouldnt even know they were hit as it would be instantaneous.  Hence the abrupt end of the series. ?????  

At least Tonys relationship with Dr Melfi ended onscreen. It was an interesting dynamic between them throughout the whole series. Second to Tony and Livia. 

Dr Melfi finally sees through Tony and recognizes that she has aided  his conscious about his ruthless behaviours and  killings etc by providing therapy. She therefore ends it by throwing him out of the office. Its one of the best Sops scenes of all time.  

jack D and coke

Managed it...

The ending for the Sops left a lot to desired i think. I was disappointed with it and Chase ( the writers) view that it was up to the viewer to make up their own mind about what happened to Tony. I would have prefer a clear ending with a resolution. There are countless theories online about this. The one i prefer is that Tony is hit. There is an episode a few in the final season when he speaks to Bobby ( he was married to Janice) and then talk about death and hits. They both agree that they probably wouldnt even know they were hit as it would be instantaneous. Hence the abrupt end of the series. ?????

At least Tonys relationship with Dr Melfi ended onscreen. It was an interesting dynamic between them throughout the whole series. Second to Tony and Livia.

Dr Melfi finally sees through Tony and recognizes that she has aided his conscious about his ruthless behaviours and killings etc by providing therapy. She therefore ends it by throwing him out of the office. Its one of the best Sops scenes of all time.

Yeah gotta agree with that. I'd obviously heard the ending was controversial and I honestly thought my power had went lol! I've spent a little while today googling the final episode and I'm fairly certain the ending you describe is exactly what they were aiming for. The tunes he looked at before playing don't stop believing, the conversation with Bobby, the menacing guy in the diner, Carmella walked in at the right moment of the song, he was almost in POV mode and the instant blackness was him being wacked I'm pretty certain. It that's the ending I'm settling on anyway.

Absolutely gutted its over. I really hate the feelings I get when I've done a whole series and have to wean myself off it[emoji1]. Fantastic stuff though

Riddley Walker

Yeah gotta agree with that. I'd obviously heard the ending was controversial and I honestly thought my power had went lol! I've spent a little while today googling the final episode and I'm fairly certain the ending you describe is exactly what they were aiming for. The tunes he looked at before playing don't stop believing, the conversation with Bobby, the menacing guy in the diner, Carmella walked in at the right moment of the song, he was almost in POV mode and the instant blackness was him being wacked I'm pretty certain. It that's the ending I'm settling on anyway.

Absolutely gutted its over. I really hate the feelings I get when I've done a whole series and have to wean myself off it[emoji1]. Fantastic stuff though

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

This is outrageously detailed but if you've got a bit of time it's a good read and analyses the last episode superbly. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with that spoiler anyway.

Edit: James you should give this a read as well, it's hard not to come away convinced with this theory.

Edited by Riddley Walker

JudyJudyJudy

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

This is outrageously detailed but if you've got a bit of time it's a good read and analyses the last episode superbly. I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with that spoiler anyway.

Edit: James you should give this a read as well, it's hard not to come away convinced with this theory.

Yeah ill have a look at it too. 

vegas-voss

It more a comedy mate but its very good

The two brothers are the best in it though a right pair of idiots.There are 3 seasons not sure if they are doing a fourth.

Edited by vegas-voss

JudyJudyJudy

Thanks for this link. It was a great analysis of the ending.

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy

It is probably the most likely explanation to the ending. However me being the philistine that I am, why  couldn't Chase just shot Tony being shot?    Im rather cynical about this ending as it isnt  exactly 100% clarified and one wonders if Chase did this deliberately in case he decided he wanted to do another season or film. Ironically it is probably the perfect ending in some respects due to the sad death of James Gandolfino a couple of years later.  I re-watched the Sopranos again last year and its just as good as the first time , maybe even better.  Are fans aware that Chase had originally written that Livia Soprano would testify against Tony in court in an effort to ruin him .  Sadly Nancy Marchaud who played Livia died,  so they couldn't proceed with that story-line. It would have made a modern day Greek tragedy

jack D and coke

It is probably the most likely explanation to the ending. However me being the philistine that I am, why couldn't Chase just shot Tony being shot? Im rather cynical about this ending as it isnt exactly 100% clarified and one wonders if Chase did this deliberately in case he decided he wanted to do another season or film. Ironically it is probably the perfect ending in some respects due to the sad death of James Gandolfino a couple of years later. I re-watched the Sopranos again last year and its just as good as the first time , maybe even better. Are fans aware that Chase had originally written that Livia Soprano would testify against Tony in court in an effort to ruin him . Sadly Nancy Marchaud who played Livia died, so they couldn't proceed with that story-line. It would have made a modern day Greek tragedy

I watched it again last night and I honestly think it was a good ending. It's true what Chase says in some of the stuff I've read that he didn't want people who'd been cheering Tony on suddenly wanting and actually getting to see his brains splattered across a wall. I'm fairly sure that ending meant Tony was dead. You wouldn't see it coming and then just blackness.

Didn't know that about Livia, she was a great character too, an absolute ***** lol but what a great character.

I hate the kind of limbo feeling I've got just now that I've finished it[emoji1] maybe I'll watch it all again in a year or two as well. Fantastic.

JudyJudyJudy

I watched it again last night and I honestly think it was a good ending. It's true what Chase says in some of the stuff I've read that he didn't want people who'd been cheering Tony on suddenly wanting and actually getting to see his brains splattered across a wall. I'm fairly sure that ending meant Tony was dead. You wouldn't see it coming and then just blackness.

Didn't know that about Livia, she was a great character too, an absolute ***** lol but what a great character.

I hate the kind of limbo feeling I've got just now that I've finished it[emoji1] maybe I'll watch it all again in a year or two as well. Fantastic.

Yeah it probably was the best way to end it and after reading that online analysis im convinced this is what Chase planned.  Despite some cynicism.  The character of Livia is an exceptional TV character. Its no coincidence Chase called her Livia. She is named after a famous historial figure with whom she acts very similar to. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livia

It is noted in the Sopranos that Tony is at his " weakest" around powerful woman. He cant contain them like he contains male characters. 

Dr Melfi runs  circles round him.

I know what u mean about being lost after a  series ends.  Heres a few recommendations from me which  i think are superb. I usually only download online:

The Wire

Six feet under

American horror story

American Crime

American Crime story

Hannibal

Line of Duty

These are just some of  the top of my head. 

jack D and coke

Yeah it probably was the best way to end it and after reading that online analysis im convinced this is what Chase planned. Despite some cynicism. The character of Livia is an exceptional TV character. Its no coincidence Chase called her Livia. She is named after a famous historial figure with whom she acts very similar to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livia

It is noted in the Sopranos that Tony is at his " weakest" around powerful woman. He cant contain them like he contains male characters.

Dr Melfi runs circles round him.

I know what u mean about being lost after a series ends. Heres a few recommendations from me which i think are superb. I usually only download online:

The Wire

Six feet under

American horror story

American Crime

American Crime story

Hannibal

Line of Duty

These are just some of the top of my head.

I've watched the first season of Hannibal and not went back to it for some reason. Might try The Wire though once I've watched the second season of Better Call Saul[emoji1360]

Randle P McMurphy

I've watched the first season of Hannibal and not went back to it for some reason. Might try The Wire though once I've watched the second season of Better Call Saul[emoji1360]

The Wire is the only series that rivals The Sopranos for me. I would recommend watching with subtitles for the first few episodes though as the Baltimore street language is a nightmare to follow. It really does have everything, humour, characters, intrigue, sex, violence, politics, back stabbing, victimisation, lots of crime and each season has it's own identity whilst also carrying recurring themes.

You just need to be patient with it initially and then you'll, love it. I wish I was starting it for the first time, you lucky beggar

jack D and coke

The Wire is the only series that rivals The Sopranos for me. I would recommend watching with subtitles for the first few episodes though as the Baltimore street language is a nightmare to follow. It really does have everything, humour, characters, intrigue, sex, violence, politics, back stabbing, victimisation, lots of crime and each season has it's own identity whilst also carrying recurring themes.

You just need to be patient with it initially and then you'll, love it. I wish I was starting it for the first time, you lucky beggar

High praise then. I'll take your word for it[emoji1360]

vegas-voss

You have to watch The Wire

Rudolf's Mate

You have to watch The Wire

Agreed. A bit more raw than the Sopranos but brilliant. Some absolutely fantastic performances in it as well.

Anyone watched TURN? Noticed it was mentioned at the start of last season of Walking Dead. Been given decent reviews.

JudyJudyJudy

Agreed. A bit more raw than the Sopranos but brilliant. Some absolutely fantastic performances in it as well.

Anyone watched TURN? Noticed it was mentioned at the start of last season of Walking Dead. Been given decent reviews.

Yes its second on my all time greatest TV series list. Brilliant. Different storylines each season but same characters.

I forgot to mention " Breaking Bad".  Its terrific

Rudolf's Mate

Yes its second on my all time greatest TV series list. Brilliant. Different storylines each season but same characters.

I forgot to mention " Breaking Bad".  Its terrific

My fav character was Omar by some. Some of the shit he pulled :lol: He (M Williams) was also brilliant in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White. Another great series. 

vegas-voss

I tried but couldnt get into it.Maybe i had to give it a bit longer as the period had me interested in it.

Rudolf's Mate

I tried but couldnt get into it.Maybe i had to give it a bit longer as the period had me interested in it.

It's really quite raw however I think it's meant to be like that. Sopranos is on a different level to most things but The Wire is absolutely brilliant.

Edit: I was just trying to work out where I'd put it in my list however I'd definitely say top 5, maybe even top 3. It was about 6-7 years ago I watched it and might go back and do it again.

Started watching Marcella (think that's how you spell it) with the Mrs. Really enjoying it.

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

JudyJudyJudy

My fav character was Omar by some. Some of the shit he pulled :lol: He (M Williams) was also brilliant in Boardwalk Empire as Chalky White. Another great series. 

Yea one of my all time favourite characters. Almost revolutionary in TV in some ways as he was a black ,gay gangster. Took some courage for the writers to realistically make it so real. 

vegas-voss

It's really quite raw however I think it's meant to be like that. Sopranos is on a different level to most things but The Wire is absolutely brilliant.

Edit: I was just trying to work out where I'd put it in my list however I'd definitely say top 5, maybe even top 3. It was about 6-7 years ago I watched it and might go back and do it again.

Started watching Marcella (think that's how you spell it) with the Mrs. Really enjoying it.

The Wire is incredible my fav show ever

I enjoyed it but thought it could have been better, if that makes sense.

Also I think ITV missed a huge marketing chance by not trumpeting that it was from the person who made The Bridge.

Just started in the new series of Peaky Blinders.

So far so good but there isn't half a lot of mumbling from the actors.

Anyone follow up on my recommendation of 'gangland undercover' ?

I hardly know anyone who has seen it but I thought it was excellent

The Internet

Finally got round to watching season 2 of Better Call Saul this weekend, binged a bit and am now up to episode 8. Very very good. 

scott herbertson

you cant search on here for three letter words so its probably been mentioned before but DAG showing again on sky arts - a good series about a psychiatrist

Riddley Walker

The newest series of Always Sunny is a real return to form. I thought last season was decent but it had lost it's freshness a few years ago. Delighted with the first 7 episodes of the new one. Dennis has been ****ing brilliant.

vegas-voss

Watched the first episode of Preacher and its pretty good.Kind of like Banshee with supernatural stuff thrown in.Stars Dominic Cooper and Woody from This Is England.

The newest series of Always Sunny is a real return to form. I thought last season was decent but it had lost it's freshness a few years ago. Delighted with the first 7 episodes of the new one. Dennis has been ******* brilliant.

Sadly only ten episodes in the series.

House of Cards ( The Kevin Spacey one - Netflix)

Gomorrah (Gritty Italian version of the Sopranos without the bling )

Halfway through Season two now. The complete season one is still available on Catch Up.

The Good Wife ( Mrs Busby 8s fav. Updated version of LA Law)

Suppose that I really should make an effort with The Wire after all the recommendations.

Tried it once but got fed up trying to follow the dialect. I'll maybe try the subtitles option that my new gene kelly's got.

Chester™

The Good Wife ( Mrs Busby 8s fav. Updated version of LA Law)

I think you're doing The Good Wife a great disservice there. Far better, more intelligent and more depth than LA Law. Its one of the most underrated dramas out there.

Riddley Walker

Sadly only ten episodes in the series.

That's disappointing. I loved the episode where Dennis and Mac moved to the suburbs.

vegas-voss

I dont think i praised Preacher enough.It has the potential to be a brilliant series.Mad over the top action and a lot of black humour.Pilot rated 9/10 on imdb.

I've started on Bloodline on Netflix. I have to say it isn't giving me that " I can't wait until the next episode" feeling. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series