Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Line of Duty has been absolutely tremendous this year. (Episode 1 apart) This week to week thingy is causing me serious stress. 

:taz:

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Line of Duty has been absolutely tremendous this year. (Episode 1 apart) This week to week thingy is causing me serious stress. 

:taz:

I'm thinking the preview clips for the series may have thrown out a couple of red herrings. 

We must be due a tense and lengthy interview scene this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm thinking the preview clips for the series may have thrown out a couple of red herrings. 

We must be due a tense and lengthy interview scene this weekend. 

I've a feeling, we are going to lose 1 of the 3(Not Kate) main characters. I hope not. 

And they like to make you think Hastings is H, don't they. :D

Oh and the top cop is never resigning, he's at it. Him and the top woman cop, sorry can't remember their names atm, are high up on the ocg list, I think.  :banghead:

Edited by ri Alban

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I've a feeling, we are going to lose 1 of the 3(Not Kate) main characters. I hope not. 

And they like to make you think Hastings is H, don't they. :D

Oh and the top cop is never resigning, he's at it. Him and the top woman cop, sorry can't remember their names atm, are high up on the ocg list, I think.  :banghead:

Wise? Thw way it's written places questions above several heads. 

Will find out if Jimmy Nesbitt comes into it this series or if they've made the introduction to move into the next one with the linkage. 

16 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Wise? Thw way it's written places questions above several heads. 

Will find out if Jimmy Nesbitt comes into it this series or if they've made the introduction to move into the next one with the linkage. 

I forgot about him. :raging:

It’s red herring central on LOD this season. I refuse to believe it’s a coincidence that the actor playing Chris in the murder investigation department has a physical resemblance to Dot Cottan (the caddy). But as with most of the stuff Mercurio does it very well may be just to mess with viewers heads and get the conspiracy theories ticking over. All the acronyms are just getting ridiculous now. GSW being the latest unnecessary one. 

i didn't realise there were only 6 episodes of falcon and the winter soldier. it was good and they are now planning a 4th captain america film as a continuation from falcon and the winter soldier

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

i didn't realise there were only 6 episodes of falcon and the winter soldier. it was good and they are now planning a 4th captain america film as a continuation from falcon and the winter soldier

I hope you watched right to the end of the credits on the final episode. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I hope you watched right to the end of the credits on the final episode. 

yep, i think that is the only end credit scene they did

On 22/04/2021 at 08:34, Marvin said:

Watching the latest version of Stephen King's The Stand on Prime. This miniseries isn't too bad. I still think the best version was on SKY One back in 1994ish. 

Recommended. Great watch. Finished watching the series last night. 9/10

Tommy Brown

Doing a search through channel guide and noiced on BBC4

Between the Lines

Absolutely loved this when first aired in 1992. Basically an early version of Line of Duty.

I'll give it a go, but may be a bit dated now.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

So many good performances in this year's Line of Duty but Kelly Macdonald has been exceptional. 👏 

100% she is just brilliant in this. Awards incoming I’d imagine and thoroughly deserved. Amazing performances 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

So many good performances in this year's Line of Duty but Kelly Macdonald has been exceptional. 👏 

I thought she was poor in the first couple of episode as I just didn’t buy her as an ambitious powerful person that you would need to be as a woman to reach that rank. However she’s a lot better as the character became clearer. 

edit. And Carmichael creeps me out. 

Edited by Tazio

19 hours ago, Tazio said:

I thought she was poor in the first couple of episode as I just didn’t buy her as an ambitious powerful person that you would need to be as a woman to reach that rank. However she’s a lot better as the character became clearer. 

edit. And Carmichael creeps me out. 

I can’t remember off hand a character I despise as much as Carmichael . Credit to the actress who plays her though , some performance. Hoping the last episode on Sunday will see some comeuppance 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

I can’t remember off hand a character I despise as much as Carmichael . Credit to the actress who played her though , some performance. Hoping the last episode on Sunday will see some comeuppance 

There’s a BBC podcast after every episode hosted my the actor  who played Dot Cottan (the Caddy) and she was on this weeks. She’s very funny and was having a good laugh about how her character is directed. It’s quite bizarre seeing her as Carmichael as she’s a very good comedy actor. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

There’s a BBC podcast after every episode hosted my the actor  who played Dot Cottan (the Caddy) and she was on this weeks. She’s very funny and was having a good laugh about how her character is directed. It’s quite bizarre seeing her as Carmichael as she’s a very good comedy actor. 

Ah nice one 👍 I’ll check that out. Thanks

9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I can’t remember off hand a character I despise as much as Carmichael . Credit to the actress who plays her though , some performance. Hoping the last episode on Sunday will see some comeuppance 

She tapped her pen on the table, 4 times. More code for H. 

:raging:

On 25/04/2021 at 22:33, Samuel Camazzola said:

Have to say I've not found her overly convincing in the role. She's improved as it's gone on, but in the first couple of episodes she mostly sounded like she was fighting her own accent half the time and trying way too hard to enunciate clearly. She didn't bring any sense of authority to the role of a DSI.

On 26/04/2021 at 00:25, Tazio said:

Beat me to it!

the killing is repeated this saturday bbc 4 9pm absolutely brilliant show 20 episodes .. if you like the bridge etc its right up your street 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Have to say I've not found her overly convincing in the role. She's improved as it's gone on, but in the first couple of episodes she mostly sounded like she was fighting her own accent half the time and trying way too hard to enunciate clearly. She didn't bring any sense of authority to the role of a DSI.

She didn't need to based on the background given. 

2 hours ago, Puressence said:

the killing is repeated this saturday bbc 4 9pm absolutely brilliant show 20 episodes .. if you like the bridge etc its right up your street 

Superb series. 

In no particular order, my 3 top shows in the last year are... 

The last dance, The Mandalorian and Line of Duty. 

Some other great shows were Unforgotten, and WondaVision. 

Tommy Brown
On 25/04/2021 at 19:56, Tommy Brown said:

Doing a search through channel guide and noiced on BBC4

Between the Lines

Absolutely loved this when first aired in 1992. Basically an early version of Line of Duty.

I'll give it a go, but may be a bit dated now.

Update

Two episodes in and loving it again.

The dialogue is so un-pc, refreshing :lol:

Between the Lines bbc iplayer 

Japan Jambo
On 12/04/2021 at 15:10, Gards said:

Was flicking through 4 on demand and saw they had all seasons of The West Wing.  One of my all time favourite shows so here we go season 1!

Brilliant show, thanks for the tip. Did you checkout 'The Newsroom' also by Sorkin? Not quite as good but worth watching.

Japan Jambo
On 22/04/2021 at 15:18, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Snowpiercer on Netflix, 2 series of 10 episodes. About life after the earth is wiped out by an ice age lived on a pre designed train.....sounds incredibly shite but is in fact pure genius. I’m on episode 8 of series 2. Stars Jennifer Connelly and laterally Sean Bean. Decent 9/10

Enjoyed first series. Need to checkout the second.

45 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Brilliant show, thanks for the tip. Did you checkout 'The Newsroom' also by Sorkin? Not quite as good but worth watching.

Thanks - yes, watched The Newsroom when it was first on - enjoyed that too.

JudyJudyJudy

"Mare of Easttown" . 

Kate Winslet.  Its a crime drama with Kate as a jaded detective in a close small town community where a couple young girls have been murdered. Only seen 2 episodes but its excellent.  What an excellent actress she is . Her American accent is spot and she just seems so real in the part considering she often plays snooty English rose types.  Evan Peters is also in it and Guy Pearce.  Looking forward to the rest of it. 

On 28/04/2021 at 16:11, JamesM48 said:

"Mare of Easttown" . 

Kate Winslet.  Its a crime drama with Kate as a jaded detective in a close small town community where a couple young girls have been murdered. Only seen 2 episodes but its excellent.  What an excellent actress she is . Her American accent is spot and she just seems so real in the part considering she often plays snooty English rose types.  Evan Peters is also in it and Guy Pearce.  Looking forward to the rest of it. 

Yeah it’s been very good I agree. Small town big secrets feel about it, shits going to go south very soon. Evan peters is most recognisable from AHS and guy Pearce is decent too

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Yeah it’s been very good I agree. Small town big secrets feel about it, shits going to go south very soon. Evan peters is most recognisable from AHS and guy Pearce is decent too

Yes good to see Evan Peters in a non horror role as he is a good actor. Mind you he has also been in the terrific sci fi / drama " Wandavision" too.  Yes its a really good series . Well the first two episodes.. I was enthusiastic about " Your honour " initially but that went down hill very fast :) I dont think this will. ps im a big fan of American horror story too

Edited by JamesM48

rudi must stay

Peaky Blinders with Adrian Brody f me what an actor. 

Press with Charlotte Riley. Very good actress and we won't go there otherwise with respect to Tom Hardy

Both on Netflix 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

Peaky Blinders with Adrian Brody f me what an actor. 

Press with Charlotte Riley. Very good actress and we won't go there otherwise with respect to Tom Hardy

Both on Netflix 

I thought Adrian Brody was bloody awful in Peaky Blinders. Not a single moment onscreen where you didn’t think “he’s acting”. Or should I say over acting. He was thoroughly shown as up a one dimensional by lots of very good British and Irish actors. Just my opinion but I know lots of people that were looking forward to it and felt disappointed by his performance. 

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I thought Adrian Brody was bloody awful in Peaky Blinders. Not a single moment onscreen where you didn’t think “he’s acting”. Or should I say over acting. He was thoroughly shown as up a one dimensional by lots of very good British and Irish actors. Just my opinion but I know lots of people that were looking forward to it and felt disappointed by his performance. 

Acting is an interesting discussion I guess. I felt he had a great intensity to his performance, the character needed that. To be honest I never go "oh he's natural" I find those performances boring

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Acting is an interesting discussion I guess. I felt he had a great intensity to his performance, the character needed that. To be honest I never go "oh he's natural" I find those performances boring

He just always seems to go too far for me. Turn it up to 11 and stay there at all times, like when Pacino does his furious acting. I always enjoyed Tom Hardy in Peaky Blinders but lots of other things I see him in I don’t rate him. 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He just always seems to go too far for me. Turn it up to 11 and stay there at all times, like when Pacino does his furious acting. I always enjoyed Tom Hardy in Peaky Blinders but lots of other things I see him in I don’t rate him. 

Have you seen Bronson?

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Have you seen Bronson?

Yes. I get the feeling a lot of actors they do a lot of their best work when they are still early in their career and don’t have any power in set. It’s still a part that is more about a big performance than subtlety. It’s like when people say how fantastic Johnny Depp is, in my opinion he plays caricatures or ridiculous characters. Enjoyable but not like watching an actor create a totally believable character. Christian Bale is a master at that, again in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yes. I get the feeling a lot of actors they do a lot of their best work when they are still early in their career and don’t have any power in set. It’s still a part that is more about a big performance than subtlety. It’s like when people say how fantastic Johnny Depp is, in my opinion he plays caricatures or ridiculous characters. Enjoyable but not like watching an actor create a totally believable character. Christian Bale is a master at that, again in my opinion. 

Seemingly Depp started taking on the more caricature type roles in the early 00s as his kids kept asking to see his films and he couldn't really fire on films like Donnie Brasco, Platoon, Blow or Fear & Loathing. 

On 27/04/2021 at 22:22, Tommy Brown said:

On 27/04/2021 at 19:30, ri Alban said:

In no particular order, my 3 top shows in the last year are... 

The last dance, The Mandalorian and Line of Duty. 

Some other great shows were Unforgotten, and WondaVision. 

I am on episode 7 of the last dance, really interesting, good to see Jordan being so open and getting an insight into his mindset. You don't get to be the GOAT without being ruthless, driven, demanding and incredibly single minded, talent alone wins nothing.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

That's how the media portray sets anyway. They're all doing the same thing:  acting, and some are better than others. I agree with your point about subtlety. As I saw De Niro say, underract leave the audience guessing 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

That's how the media portray sets anyway. They're all doing the same thing:  acting, and some are better than others. I agree with your point about subtlety. As I saw De Niro say, underract leave the audience guessing 

Leave it to the audience to work it out 

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The on set dynamic is a very real thing. Not all big stars are egomaniacs but some are and will overstep the mark, especially with new directors. I was at an in person event with Kevin Smith and he spoke about doing a film with Bruce Willis. He’d always heard good things about him but he turned out to be a nightmare on set as he wouldn’t listen to direction as he perceived Kevin Smith as someone he could control, whereas with a big name director he’d be very different. It’s the Heath Ledger effect, everyone goes on about how he created the joker character and look. In reality he was directed by Christopher Nolan and the look was from very talented costume and make up designers, but people prefer the myth of Ledger doing it all on his own. 

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The on set dynamic is a very real thing. Not all big stars are egomaniacs but some are and will overstep the mark, especially with new directors. I was at an in person event with Kevin Smith and he spoke about doing a film with Bruce Willis. He’d always heard good things about him but he turned out to be a nightmare on set as he wouldn’t listen to direction as he perceived Kevin Smith as someone he could control, whereas with a big name director he’d be very different. It’s the Heath Ledger effect, everyone goes on about how he created the joker character and look. In reality he was directed by Christopher Nolan and the look was from very talented costume and make up designers, but people prefer the myth of Ledger doing it all on his own. 

This is a good insight and a good story. That ego has cost him, now he's just in b movies 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series