Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

On 26/01/2021 at 23:14, Tommy Brown said:

Hadn't heard of John C Reilly until I seen Stan & Ollie.

What a performance he did of Oliver Hardy, even totally looked like him.

Its on Cinema HD, I will give it a go

Also an accomplished rap artist. Check out "Boats n Hoes", a classic.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 22/01/2021 at 15:12, Pans Jambo said:

Binged "Informer" on Netflix.

BBC 6 part series based in modern day London.

How they turn petty criminals into informants to try and catch terrorist cells.

Fiction -not a documentary.

Quite interesting and some good performances.

Really enjoyed it.

Yeah watched it too, found it very entertaining also. Solid 7/10

Carl Fredrickson

Watched This Is England (film and TV shows) this week. Some great acting from what was then a young cast. Captures a lot of what the 80s/early 90s was like for a lot of people. 

Halfway through season 2 of Mr Mercedes. 

1st season was great. 2nd season a bit weird. I'm hoping the 3rd season can rescue it. Brendan Gleeson is fantastic in it, a great actor. 

Might give that informer a go. 

Just watched, The Investigation, didn’t realise it was based on a true story. If you can hack the subtitles it’s a good watch.

to lighten it up a bit, enjoyed Resident Alien, on Sky the other night. Will be interesting to see how that develops 

Where u been ? He’s a fine actor . Was also great in “ Chicago “ as well as others mentioned 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Where u been ? He’s a fine actor . Was also great in “ Chicago “ as well as others mentioned 

I struggle to find time to watch movies.

Got a lot soaps to watch before crashing at 10pm☹️

Samuel Camazzola

You'll have seen him in loads of things. Early/mid 90s he was in The River Wild with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You'll have seen him in loads of things. Early/mid 90s he was in The River Wild with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon. 

He’s been in some fantastic films, big box office ones as well as some good small budget ones. 

On 25/01/2021 at 11:46, Cade said:

Wandavision is totally, utterly bonkers but superb.

Episode 4 has saved it. I get what they were trying to do but episodes 1 to 3 could have been shrank into 1 episode, instead of having us watch what is in essence 3 really bad sitcom episodes. 

Edited by Norm

So as part of the Amazon contract the ex Top Gear presenters are doing spin off shows as well as The Grand Tour. May did one about Japan that was enjoyable and a cooking programme that was a bit of light fluff. perfectly agreeable television helped by his personality. 
I’ve just watched the first episode of Hammond’s one. The Great Escapists. Him and a guy from Mythbusters stuck on a desert island inventing things. Could be fun and informative. It isn’t. 
Utter pish. Probably cost a fortune to film as well. Nothing explained, and just in the first episode they’ve managed to build cars and a massive house so incredibly unrealistic and even worse they’re doing it as an acted piece of fiction. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So as part of the Amazon contract the ex Top Gear presenters are doing spin off shows as well as The Grand Tour. May did one about Japan that was enjoyable and a cooking programme that was a bit of light fluff. perfectly agreeable television helped by his personality. 
I’ve just watched the first episode of Hammond’s one. The Great Escapists. Him and a guy from Mythbusters stuck on a desert island inventing things. Could be fun and informative. It isn’t. 
Utter pish. Probably cost a fortune to film as well. Nothing explained, and just in the first episode they’ve managed to build cars and a massive house so incredibly unrealistic and even worse they’re doing it as an acted piece of fiction. 

Bravo Tazio , I thought it was just me ...... Hammond  = epitome = waank 

can’t stand the fella and always switch over 

ps.. please don’t get me started about the waanks on pointless...

luckyBatistuta
21 hours ago, Tazio said:

I watched the James May in Japan one coming back from America. I really enjoyed, some really funny moments in it. I couldn’t bring myself to watch anything involving those other two self-preoccupied cocks.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I watched the James May in Japan one coming back from America. I really enjoyed, some really funny moments in it. I couldn’t bring myself to watch anything involving those other two self-preoccupied cocks.

Clarkson has actually made a few very good documentaries about military history. I get the impression May is genuinely interested in what he makes and the Japanese show was a very respectful one about a country that fascinates him. Clarkson seems very into the subject of his. Hammond however just wants to be famous and stay on TV. 

Disser Pointon

Another shout out for Mr Inbetween, the missus and I both loved it, hopefully gets a third series.

Enjoyed Night Stalker on Netflix as well, boy was a total mental case.

11 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Another shout out for Mr Inbetween, the missus and I both loved it, hopefully gets a third series.

Enjoyed Night Stalker on Netflix as well, boy was a total mental case.

Seemingly they hope it will back September 2021.

Just finished Vikings.

Great last season

Episode 9 my favourite.

Been binge-ing Hannibal recently.

Just started Season 2.

It's always just a baw hair away from being totally ridiculous but it fills a lockdown void.

On 26/01/2021 at 17:01, JamesM48 said:

Finished " Lupin" on Netflix.  its really good. Its about a jewel thief in Paris who is seeking revenge against a guy who framed his dad.  Its fast moving, funny and very light hearted romp  for most of the time.  The actor playing the main lead is brilliant and very charismatic. It reminds me a lot of " Sherlock" for some reason.   Only 5 episodes on it just now but think there are 5 more episodes on the way soon. Great scenery of Paris too.  8/10 from me. 

Just started on this tonight and one episode in. Enjoying though I keep getting distracted by the actor playing his dad in the flashbacks as he’s the double of Patrice Evra. 

On 31/01/2021 at 22:28, luckyBatistuta said:

On 31/01/2021 at 22:33, Tazio said:

Clarkson has actually made a few very good documentaries about military history. I get the impression May is genuinely interested in what he makes and the Japanese show was a very respectful one about a country that fascinates him. Clarkson seems very into the subject of his. Hammond however just wants to be famous and stay on TV. 

Clarkson is really good on QI too i think , in one of the feature length top gears or Grand Tours he talks about the Killing Fields and is clearly an intelligent and educated man if you listen to some of the stuff he comes out with or is interested in.

DC9DA9C3-AE79-46E8-BD2B-7285F7EB4DB0.jpeg

Just working my way through all of the US version of Whose Line is it Anyway , Aisha Tyler hosts it from series 9 onward and iv been in tears of laughter to the point of not being able to breathe several times watching it , some of the funniest TV iv watched in a while. 

Edited by sadj

14 hours ago, Cade said:

Been binge-ing Hannibal recently.

Just started Season 2.

It's always just a baw hair away from being totally ridiculous but it fills a lockdown void.

It’s brilliant . I’m a massive fan of the books and films . I do agree that it is totally ridiculous but so well done . Wait till u get to the final season. 😂 Mads is superb as Lector 

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

Just started on this tonight and one episode in. Enjoying though I keep getting distracted by the actor playing his dad in the flashbacks as he’s the double of Patrice Evra. 

Yes it’s terrific and he does 

21 hours ago, sadj said:

Just working my way through all of the US version of Whose Line is it Anyway , Aisha Tyler hosts it from series 9 onward and iv been in tears of laughter to the point of not being able to breathe several times watching it , some of the funniest TV iv watched in a while. 

I had been watching the UK version from around September, 2019 to about March.   I finished about the US version s9/10.    Yeah its a great show.   Funny watching it evolve on a speed watch.    Not having to wait a whole year for the next season. 

I will have to continue watching it again now that I got some time to relax and enjoy it better.    Good reminder, cheers. 

I finally watched cobra kai season one.   Was excellent.   Not too serious but not too funny either.    Sort of goes with the premise of having balance as was quoted from Daniel san.    I recommend watching the first film first obviously.   

9 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I finally watched cobra kai season one.   Was excellent.   Not too serious but not too funny either.    Sort of goes with the premise of having balance as was quoted from Daniel san.    I recommend watching the first film first obviously.   

It gets even better in series 2 and 3

Watched the Russian Netflix show To The Lake this week, and fairly enjoyed it. It was made pre-pandemic but deals with a virus outbreak in Russia that is highly contagious and which has an almost 100% mortality rate. No zombies involved, but similar to the Walking Dead in portraying societal breakdown after a deadly virus breaks out.

I watched with subtitles, as prefer watching foreign language shows that way, but dubbed audio is available as with other Netflix shows (put it on for a while to see what it was like, but found the American accents off-putting for a Russian show).

Would give it 7.5/10, and supposedly it's been renewed for a 2nd season.

5 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Watched the Russian Netflix show To The Lake this week, and fairly enjoyed it. It was made pre-pandemic but deals with a virus outbreak in Russia that is highly contagious and which has an almost 100% mortality rate. No zombies involved, but similar to the Walking Dead in portraying societal breakdown after a deadly virus breaks out.

I watched with subtitles, as prefer watching foreign language shows that way, but dubbed audio is available as with other Netflix shows (put it on for a while to see what it was like, but found the American accents off-putting for a Russian show).

Would give it 7.5/10, and supposedly it's been renewed for a 2nd season.

Might try that . Like you I prefer watching those in the original Langusge too 

rudi must stay
22 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Just finishing life on Mars. Not amazing but enjoyable viewing, planning to start on the sequel after it Ashes to Ashes think it’s called. All on Netflix

Both great TV 

On 05/02/2021 at 10:01, milky_26 said:

It gets even better in series 2 and 3

Yes yes it does

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

WandaVision, just watched episode 5, it is getting better and better

Havent got past 3 yet , but reviews are good for 4 and 5

20 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Resident Alien is undemanding but with some lol moments. I would binge watch it if it was all available now

Iv started this but got distracted , looks like its an easy watch so far

“Mysteries of the Abandoned” is a very american style docu series but I find it very interesting. Its what it says on the tin abandoned places , areas , buildings etc and gives a bit of history about them. Love “Expedition Unknown” also , Josh Gates is a slef styled Indiana Jones without the Nazi enemies and with a healthy fear of snakes. 

Know I'm a bit late to the party but watched all three seasons of Mr Mercedes, thoroughly enjoyable, Brendan Gleesons performance as retired detective Bill Hodges is phenomenal, he's a truly magnificent actor. 8.2/10 from me. 

59 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Know I'm a bit late to the party but watched all three seasons of Mr Mercedes, thoroughly enjoyable, Brendan Gleesons performance as retired detective Bill Hodges is phenomenal, he's a truly magnificent actor. 8.2/10 from me. 

Justine Lupe as Holly Gibney is very good as well

Finished Lupin over two nights. Very good and a shame it was only five episodes, though very much set up for a second season. I really enjoyed it, nice mix of a genuine thriller with enough humour mixed in to make you not be too worried about the unlikely situations. 

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Justine Lupe as Holly Gibney is very good as well

All the acting in it is pretty good tbh. Boy that played Brady was superb also. 

19 hours ago, milky_26 said:

WandaVision, just watched episode 5, it is getting better and better

Yeah the end of episode 5 just throws up more questions 😱

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

Yeah the end of episode 5 just throws up more questions 😱

there is theories about it that does make sense. if i could figure out how to put the spoiler tags thingy i would post them

There's as many theories about Wandavision as there are viewers.

Just about every issue of every Marvel comic book ever printed has been implicated at this point. 😂

Anyone want to have a stab at throwing me some suggestions?

Rated:

Black sails, outlander, gangland Undercover, start up, cobra Kai, the punisher, mandalorian, hooten and the lady. 

Watched through:

Walking dead, the 100, outer Banks, white lines

Hated:

Vikings (should've loved it but wooden cast and dull plot)

Breaking bad, sons of anarchy (again should love it but too desperate housewives for me)

Like any adventure/treasure hunt vibes, gritty action, thrillers and some historical. 

I've got netflix, prime and Disney.

1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Rated:

Black sails, outlander, gangland Undercover, start up, cobra Kai, the punisher, mandalorian, hooten and the lady. 

Watched through:

Hated:

Breaking bad, sons of anarchy (again should love it but too desperate housewives for me)

Like any adventure/treasure hunt vibes, gritty action, thrillers and some historical. 

Justified on Amazon is a good watch.

Watched Paradise PD on Netflix after my son recommended it. Bit like a very non PC and offensive family guy thing. I enjoyed it.

alwaysthereinspirit
19 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Rated:

Watched through:

Hated:

Godfather of Harlem 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series