Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

On 12/08/2020 at 19:04, NANOJAMBO said:

I think it's really over rated and haven't bothered with the latest series.

Currently watching Designated Survivor on Netflix which is pretty good. 

On 12/08/2020 at 17:46, Ray Gin said:

Started on 'Killing Eve' but don't think I can be arsed with it. Not funny enough to be a black comedy and not gritty enough to be a decent drama. 

Really enjoyed S1, not so much s3 and hardly watched s3.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/08/2020 at 10:05, GinRummy said:

Enjoyed the first series but couldn’t get into the second one for some reason. Two great actors I agree. 

just finished the 2 series and the second series wasn’t as good your right.  It wasn’t bad but there must be a 3rd planned 

Watching the 2nd series of Dear John on Netflix. Only 3 episodes in and it’s pretty decent. Christian Slaters has a bit of the old plastic surgery or Botox . Looks a bit melted /plastic

I've started rewatching The Bridge, which has just reappeared on iPlayer. It's probably the best nordic-noir series. Saga is a great character. 

Edited by Ray Gin

jack D and coke
On 13/08/2020 at 19:56, Clear few said:

I’m watching The Sopranos from start to finish (only ever managed to get up to the end of series 4) and after each episode listening to the Poda Bing podcast which deconstructs each (episode)
There is so much nuance and depth in this show, it’s funny, violent, cool and eminently watchable and quotable  about families and all life.
Simply this best TV ever made I’d you’ve not seen it which I assume everyone probably has then you are in for a massive treat👍

Was just saying much the same to a mate yesterday. Said he started it and got about 4 episodes in before deciding it’s too slow. I had the same problem myself initially and I found the characters really unlikeable but you grow

to understand them. 
I can’t imagine not having watched it now. 

Iv started watching Gomorrah.

Good first 2 Eps but now Iv lost the Subtitles?

Its been removed from Netflix. :(

Edited by Hector Riva

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Was just saying much the same to a mate yesterday. Said he started it and got about 4 episodes in before deciding it’s too slow. I had the same problem myself initially and I found the characters really unlikeable but you grow

to understand them. 

Never seen even a minute of it - is it actually available on any Uk channel/ netflix/ prime ATM ?

jack D and coke
46 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Never seen even a minute of it - is it actually available on any Uk channel/ netflix/ prime ATM ?

I’m really not sure what platform it’s on officially. You can get it elsewhere. I can help too👍🏼

Carl Fredrickson
On 16/08/2020 at 08:39, Jamhammer said:

Hilary on Sky Documentaries is very interesting. Didn't know that much about her. Quite a career/life

Watched this today. Likewise I didnt know much about her and even though it is obviously through Clinton tinted specs, I think she couldnt have done any worse than the current president. 

On 16/08/2020 at 08:39, Jamhammer said:

Hilary on Sky Documentaries is very interesting. Didn't know that much about her. Quite a career/life

been watching a few of the sky docs recently. Putin interviews with Oliver Stone are worth a watch. Also watched  The Trade. Currently watching box set called Bad Blood on netflix which is about the Canadian mafia. 

6 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

Iv started watching Gomorrah.

Good first 2 Eps but now Iv lost the Subtitles?

Its been removed from Netflix. :(

Superb show. Watched it from the start on sky Atlantic. Think there's one more series to come then that's it (according to my Italian barber who hails from naples originally!)

5 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Sky box sets usually has it. 

scott herbertson
9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Sky box sets usually has it. 

ah right - just have netflix and prime. Maybe appear on one of those at some stage

13 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

been watching a few of the sky docs recently. Putin interviews with Oliver Stone are worth a watch. Also watched  The Trade. Currently watching box set called Bad Blood on netflix which is about the Canadian mafia. 

Ooh like the sound of Bad Blood ta bud

23 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

to understand them. 

My missus had never seen it and I've not watched it since it was originally aired so currently rewatching from the start.

Perhaps I was too wet around the ears first time but I don't remember it being so funny.  Some of the one liners are superb but probably flew over my head all those years ago.

I've also started listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast by Michael Imperioli (Christopher) and Steve Schirripa (Bobby).  They start from episode one and are discussing an episode per podcast, have guests on etc.  They even had David Chase write some lines about what the characters would say about Covid-19.

Ron Burgundy
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 03:38, Madjambo21 said:

Just finished Kingdom on Netflix.

Drama set round the MMA with Frank Grillo.

Really enjoyed the series as it covers what fighters have to do to be ready for fights and had some great characters in it.

If you haven't seen it give it a try

Started this yesterday. Looks very watchable so far.

3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Started this yesterday. Looks very watchable so far.

The guy that plays Jay is Brilliant in this.

Decent soundtrack also

Enjoy watching 👍

Watching a couple of older series at the moment:

Twin on iPlayer (with the lad from Game of Thrones). Far fetched but interesting and well acted (Swedish btw); and

The Fall on Netflix (Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan). Excellent.

Watched the “Derren Browns Greatest Stunt” On channel 4 catch up . Mental . Tricked a poor sod into thinking the apocalypse had arrived - end of the world. Crazy stuff. Amazing

Lone Striker

For some light comedy relief,  "Ghosts" is pretty good (BBC ). 

It's a sort of sitcom, based around a young couple who decide to buy an old  country mansion in need of repairs. The girl (Alison) is able to see and hear all the ghosts, but her hubby (David) can't. The ghosts are from different eras (e.g. a romantic Byron-type poet, a frumpy Victorian lady, a rather simple farmers wife, a married Tory MP with a penchant for the ladies, a scout leader, etc).    Its cleverly written with plenty avenues for comedy due to the variety of characters from different eras seeing modern technology for the first time.    The re-run of series 2 has just started, where each episode has a flashback to show how one of the ghosts met their death in or around the mansion. Very clever and witty stuff.  👍

JudyJudyJudy
On 13/08/2020 at 19:56, Clear few said:

I’m watching The Sopranos from start to finish (only ever managed to get up to the end of series 4) and after each episode listening to the Poda Bing podcast which deconstructs each (episode)
There is so much nuance and depth in this show, it’s funny, violent, cool and eminently watchable and quotable  about families and all life.
Simply this best TV ever made I’d you’ve not seen it which I assume everyone probably has then you are in for a massive treat👍

Yes completely agree the best show of all time . Watched it a couple of times now . I’m due a third time . It’s just incredible as the characters are so well written and the viewer has sympathy for the psychopathic Tony and the other guys . The interactions between him and his mother Livia are the heart of the story I think . Also the scenes with him meeting with Dr Melfi were also pivotal to the show . It’s an intelligent tv series , 

Spoiler

The actress who played Livia was Nancy Marchand . Chase had written a storyline where she would testify against Tony but sadly she died so he couldn’t run with that story , which is a pity . 

JudyJudyJudy

Started “ The umbrella academy” and got to episode 7 but its not getting me . So binned it . Now watching “ Castle Rock “ based on Stephen King characters and it’s not too bad actually . Bit spooky 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Started “ The umbrella academy” and got to episode 7 but its not getting me . So binned it . Now watching “ Castle Rock “ based on Stephen King characters and it’s not too bad actually . Bit spooky 

Season 2 of Umbrella Academy is a lot better than the first for me. Still weird as hell but more focussed. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Season 2 of Umbrella Academy is a lot better than the first for me. Still weird as hell but more focussed. 

Thanks . I might try give it another go ! 

JudyJudyJudy
On 18/08/2020 at 00:18, Ray Gin said:

I've started rewatching The Bridge, which has just reappeared on iPlayer. It's probably the best nordic-noir series. Saga is a great character. 

Yes this is brilliant . 

Carl Fredrickson
42 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Who's seen Gangs Of London. I'm liking it, slick and cool

I enjoyed the start of it but I felt it faded as it went on. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Joe Cole is not the best lead in my opinion. Not sure he's strong enough an actor for the part, but I like it anyway 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I thought it was awful and Joe Cole was terrible. He has no charisma or star quality at all and is totally unconvincing as a hard nut.  Sounds like he is channeling the voice of Richard Burton or Russell Crowe

The Professionals series 1 to 4 are on Amazon Prime. 

Still brilliant and probably the best theme tune ever. 

JudyJudyJudy

Finished the 1st season of " Castle Rock" .  Its awful.  I can't believe i sat through all ten episodes. I just thought it would get better. It doesn't.  Its nonsensical stuff with a ludicrously difficult/ complex  story like to try and follow. 

Almost finished watching Line of duty (BBC Iplayer). I found it much better the second time around as I didn't have to wait a week between episodes so all the twists, turns and wee details are fresh in the mind. Excellent series imo.

On 01/08/2020 at 19:14, Samuel Camazzola said:

Revisiting Entourage and delighted that it hasn't aged. Superbly written, cast and acted. 

Great that it came out when it did as they wouldn't have been able to broadcast a bulk of the content. The easily offended would have been up in arms - mainly at Ari's stuff! 😂 

5RpgDKRrkVZfBAqE8o6SvyLTU5p3Zkau6FgI=

Cheers.

I have also rewatched it. Series 1-6 are brilliant, Starts to tail off a bit in 7. Not rewatched 8 yet. 

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

Cheers.

I have also rewatched it. Series 1-6 are brilliant, Starts to tail off a bit in 7. Not rewatched 8 yet. 

I can't recall if it was 7 or 8 which was around the time of the writer's strike and a couple of episodes seemed a bit lazy and rushed. 

So many characters could get their own spin offs. Ari and Drama for starters. 

JudyJudyJudy

Actually been taping “ Columbo” off the telly . It’s brilliant . I recall it years ago but interesting to watch as an adult. It’s so well made and acted by Peter Falk and great how he manages to rile the murderer into submission eventually by gradually working out how he / she murdered the victim . Quality drama . 

17 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually been taping “ Columbo” off the telly . It’s brilliant . I recall it years ago but interesting to watch as an adult. It’s so well made and acted by Peter Falk and great how he manages to rile the murderer into submission eventually by gradually working out how he / she murdered the victim . Quality drama . 

Love Columbo. The guest stars are amazing as well. 

5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

The Boys season 2 is out on the 4th September. 
Enjoyed the first season so looking forward to that. 

Is Jenson Akles in this or the next series? 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Is Jenson Akles in this or the next series? 

I dunno man. I just seen a poster on a bus shelter yesterday haven’t seen a trailer or nowt. 

13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

The Boys season 2 is out on the 4th September. 
Enjoyed the first season so looking forward to that. 

only the first 3 episodes on friday

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Love Columbo. The guest stars are amazing as well. 

Yes just watched a few yesterday. Ruth Gordon was great as the crime writer who murdered someone and of course Columbo finally nailed her..!  Anne Baxter was in another episode which was great too and Martin Landau. 

57 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes just watched a few yesterday. Ruth Gordon was great as the crime writer who murdered someone and of course Columbo finally nailed her..!  Anne Baxter was in another episode which was great too and Martin Landau. 

Edward Longshanks and Captain Kirk are fantastic baddies. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Edward Longshanks and Captain Kirk are fantastic baddies. 

I’ll get to those episodes eventually 

Kobra Kai. Enjoyed it. Netflix.

35 years after the films. Same people. Daniel is a complete "Richard Head" and the real victim (Johnny) life is in the shitter.

Their lives collide again and the whole rivalry "kicks off" (to an extent).

80's cheesefest but I grew up then so it's good. Some genuinely funny moments in it and its got a fair bit of karate action.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series