Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Watched the first episode of Moon Night on Disney +. New "superhero" show with Oscar Isaac & Ethan Hawke.

What a riot!

I really wasn't expecting much but it was brilliant. Doesn't take itself seriously and is quite funny at points.

Plenty action.

Looking forward to the next episode on Wednesday

9/10 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 04/04/2022 at 08:24, Pans Jambo said:

Watched the first episode of Moon Night on Disney +. New "superhero" show with Oscar Isaac & Ethan Hawke.

What a riot!

I really wasn't expecting much but it was brilliant. Doesn't take itself seriously and is quite funny at points.

Plenty action.

9/10 

Aye the first two episodes have been pretty decent considering that he's one of Marvel's least well known characters.

It's good that Feige is in charge. They guy's a super nerd and knows just about everything Marvel have ever printed.

On 04/04/2022 at 08:24, Pans Jambo said:

What a riot!

Plenty action.

9/10 

Halfway through the first episode. I’m a bit confused but willing to keep with it. 

42 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye the first two episodes have been pretty decent considering that he's one of Marvel's least well known characters.

It's good that Feige is in charge. They guy's a super nerd and knows just about everything Marvel have ever printed.

I had never heard of this charachter before last week. 

JudyJudyJudy

" Jimmy Savile : A British Horror story" 

Its on Netflix and its engrossing stuff and horrific and raises so many questions.  How was he able to continue his abuse for so long ?   Simple ..He cleverly courted friendships  with powerful people like Prince Charles and Thatcher. They in turn were seen to be consorting with a " man of the people" a working class hero almost. So both got something out if it.  He also got involved with charities and  raised   millions for various hospitals , He then used this to volunteer as various hospitals where he then carried out most his abuse unchallenged. He was untouchable really.  The really odd thing about him was that the people he abused were all different types of people...however all vulnerable from patients in hospitals , disabled people, children from the age of 5 to adults up to 75 , and of both sex. Very unusual. He really was hiding in plain sight as he was interviewed frequently and made various comments which were alarming but weren't picked up on. So many comments about  " girls" and his enthusiasm for them. 

The police need to hang their heads in shame as they nearly got him as they had 3 different statements from 3 victims who were willing to go to court but all withdrew as they thought that each of them were the only people who would go to court.  They were not aware each other had made statements.  if they were aware they would have corroborated each other and he would have got done.

There is no doubt he was a psychopath.  It really was a disturbing programme . However there was an interview with one of his victims who bravely spoke of it and went into details about what he did to her when she was 11 . She blamed herself for not telling anyone. Whilst watching it I was thinking what would I have done if this had happened to me at 11 too?  Would I have mentioned to anyone.  Sad answer is probably not as at the time children weren't as aware of abuse and most probably would have felt they wouldn't have been believed or put into care ?  Whilst the interview was harrowing it was also very moving and inspirational as she feels she has now " forgiven" her younger self by speaking out about the abuse and has moved on.  She is a lovely and brave person.  Thank god child protection services and education about predators are far more robust now and kids can report abuse without fear of not being believed . 

A harrowing watch but well worth a view. 

On 07/04/2022 at 11:27, JamesM48 said:

" Jimmy Savile : A British Horror story" 

Its on Netflix and its engrossing stuff and horrific and raises so many questions.  How was he able to continue his abuse for so long ?   Simple ..He cleverly courted friendships  with powerful people like Prince Charles and Thatcher. They in turn were seen to be consorting with a " man of the people" a working class hero almost. So both got something out if it.  He also got involved with charities and  raised   millions for various hospitals , He then used this to volunteer as various hospitals where he then carried out most his abuse unchallenged. He was untouchable really.  The really odd thing about him was that the people he abused were all different types of people...however all vulnerable from patients in hospitals , disabled people, children from the age of 5 to adults up to 75 , and of both sex. Very unusual. He really was hiding in plain sight as he was interviewed frequently and made various comments which were alarming but weren't picked up on. So many comments about  " girls" and his enthusiasm for them. 

The police need to hang their heads in shame as they nearly got him as they had 3 different statements from 3 victims who were willing to go to court but all withdrew as they thought that each of them were the only people who would go to court.  They were not aware each other had made statements.  if they were aware they would have corroborated each other and he would have got done.

There is no doubt he was a psychopath.  It really was a disturbing programme . However there was an interview with one of his victims who bravely spoke of it and went into details about what he did to her when she was 11 . She blamed herself for not telling anyone. Whilst watching it I was thinking what would I have done if this had happened to me at 11 too?  Would I have mentioned to anyone.  Sad answer is probably not as at the time children weren't as aware of abuse and most probably would have felt they wouldn't have been believed or put into care ?  Whilst the interview was harrowing it was also very moving and inspirational as she feels she has now " forgiven" her younger self by speaking out about the abuse and has moved on.  She is a lovely and brave person.  Thank god child protection services and education about predators are far more robust now and kids can report abuse without fear of not being believed . 

A harrowing watch but well worth a view. 

watched this and felt sick and angry. A despicable animal. A weirdo and definitely sub-human. How he got away with it is sickening. Hope he is rotting in hell for what he did. 
some should most definitely be in jail for knowingly turning a blind eye and covering up. Shocking stuff and so sad for the victims (100’s)

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

watched this and felt sick and angry. A despicable animal. A weirdo and definitely sub-human. How he got away with it is sickening. Hope he is rotting in hell for what he did. 
some should most definitely be in jail for knowingly turning a blind eye and covering up. Shocking stuff and so sad for the victims (100’s)

Sadly all very true 

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Just finished the latest series of the last kingdom, cracking end.

apparently they are making a feature film, which should be fun. Not available until 2023 though

15 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

apparently they are making a feature film, which should be fun. Not available until 2023 though

Yeah heard that too, should be good. Hopefully sees it up to the end this time (or the beginning).

On 13/04/2022 at 11:23, Pans Jambo said:

Top Boy on Netflix. Wagwam fam innit bro

Love it. Thought it was a poor first episode of new series but just got better as it went on. 

JudyJudyJudy

Really enjoying this. its about Julia Child who was an American tv cook. She basically pioneered the cookery programme. Her show began in the early 1960s and there was much resistance and snobbery about this type of programme by producers who felt it would be a flop and was low brow.  Great cast lead by an almost unrecognisable Sarah Lancashire who really is terrific in the lead. Child really was a character and trail blazer.  It also fascinating to see the inner working of how they began these cooking shows.  Some of the dishes she made . sorry all of them look superb.  Starving watching it.  Its also very funny at times 

Edited by JamesM48

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Anyone recommend a 20-30 mins per episode comedy show on Netflix? 

Just finished Seinfeld and already been through all of It's Always Sunny. Need something to go with my post-prandial coffee in the afternoon.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine 

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Just finished Seinfeld and already been through all of It's Always Sunny. Need something to go with my post-prandial coffee in the afternoon.

Entourage. 

Drama, comedy, cameos, a bit of gloss and some of the best characters ever created. 

Watched the first 2 episodes of Better Call Saul S6. Excellent.

Gutted to discover that I now need to wait a week between episodes and the whole series isn't there to binge on.

:sadrobbo:

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of Better Call Saul S6. Excellent.

Gutted to discover that I now need to wait a week between episodes and the whole series isn't there to binge on.

:sadrobbo:

Just did the same, really good episodes but I loved binging on the previous series.

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Years old but 12 series of trailer park boys is my go to for 20min fun ,try watching from day 1 ,they’ll grow on you 🤞🏻

Tommy Brown
17 hours ago, jonesy said:

The amount of people I ask if they have ever watched Peep Show and have not.

One of UKs best ever comedies.

Carl Fredrickson

Our Great National Parks on Netflix. Really enjoying this - Barrack Obama doing the narration and he is voice is quite engaging. 

Some cracking images and learnt a thing or two - didnt realise how nutritious hippo poo is......

The Shrink next door (Apple tv) is superb.

Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell on top form.  Rudd plays the shrink who is a nasty piece of work which is not what he usually plays but is great in this

8/10

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The Shrink next door (Apple tv) is superb.

Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell on top form.  Rudd plays the shrink who is a nasty piece of work which is not what he usually plays but is great in this

8/10

This looks good. I like any programmes where psychiatry / therapy is a feature of it. Great cast too 

Jambo_jim2001
On 24/04/2022 at 21:33, Cade said:

I can recommend not bothering with Season 2 of Picard.

It's shite.

Time travel yawn...but worth watching just for 7of9💥😜

download.jpeg

Disser Pointon

The King. New series from makers of Gomorrah. 1st episode very promising indeed, has the exact same feel as Gomorrah which is one of my all time favourite shows.

On 24/04/2022 at 21:33, Cade said:

I can recommend not bothering with Season 2 of Picard.

It's shite.

:wtfvlad:

Ron Burgundy
On 26/04/2022 at 13:17, Disser Pointon said:

The King. New series from makers of Gomorrah. 1st episode very promising indeed, has the exact same feel as Gomorrah which is one of my all time favourite shows.

What platform are you watching this on?

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I've seen adverts that it is going to be on sky Atlantic

Disser Pointon
24 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I've seen adverts that it is going to be on sky Atlantic

Yes, Sky mate.

luckyBatistuta

Just finished the last ever episode of Gomorra. Devastated I’m never going to see another episode of this. One of the best series I’ve ever watched, simply brilliant.

On 19/04/2022 at 12:15, jonesy said:

The US  version of The Office.

The first two series slavishly copy the UK  but after that , there is some of the best comedy script writing you'll ever see.  It just gets better and is miles better than the UK  version. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The US  version of The Office.

The first two series slavishly copy the UK  but after that , there is some of the best comedy script writing you'll ever see.  It just gets better and is miles better than the UK  version. 

Seasons 3-5 are elite tier sitcom

JudyJudyJudy

I was online and I started to read a review about a show I hadnt heard of . Thought id look it up. 

Its called " Landscapers".  Its about a mild mannered couple who were convicted of the murders of one of their parents ( females parents). Its a true story.  I've only watched the first episode but its seriously good. Its very black comedy. Really dead pan humour and very British.  I was laughing most of the time through it. Its also rather moving as the couple as clearly oddballs and have a certain charm about them.

What really makes it great is the two leads who really are outstanding.  Olivia Colman and David Thewliss.  Both the best in the game. There are also a great supporting cast. Especially those playing the bemused police. I tried watching the other 3 episodes last night but my stream kept stuttering so gave up.  Bloody annoying. But looking forward to the other episodes. I can only see it getting better and better. It has a similar quirky tone to "Fargo"  

Edited by JamesM48

Disser Pointon
11 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just finished the last ever episode of Gomorra. Devastated I’m never going to see another episode of this. One of the best series I’ve ever watched, simply brilliant.

See above, new series The King just started on Sky from the same team, has the same gritty atmos.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Disser Pointon said:

See above, new series The King just started on Sky from the same team, has the same gritty atmos.

Saw that advertised non stop during the NFL Draft. Noticed one of the same guys who starred In Gomorra is in this too, looks really good.👍

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I was online and I started to read a review about a show I hadnt heard of . Thought id look it up. 

Its called " Landscapers".  Its about a mild mannered couple who were convicted of the murders of one of their parents ( females parents). Its a true story.  I've only watched the first episode but its seriously good. Its very black comedy. Really dead pan humour and very British.  I was laughing most of the time through it. Its also rather moving as the couple as clearly oddballs and have a certain charm about them.

What really makes it great is the two leads who really are outstanding.  Olivia Colman and David Thewliss.  Both the best in the game. There are also a great supporting cast. Especially those playing the bemused police. I tried watching the other 3 episodes last night but my stream kept stuttering so gave up.  Bloody annoying. But looking forward to the other episodes. I can only see it getting better and better. It has a similar quirky tone to "Fargo"  

Watched this a while ago and would recommend it too. 

Judge Fudge
On 25/03/2022 at 17:46, ri Alban said:

:thumb:

On 24/03/2022 at 08:17, jonesy said:

Anyone else watching Severance on Apple?

Downloaded the first few episodes to watch on a train ride to Manchester and now eagerly awaiting the next episode tomorrow. 

Adam Scott.John Torturro and Christopher Walken can't be bad. 

13 hours ago, jonesy said:

Giving this a go, watched the first 5 or 6 episodes. Good fun and characters I recognise from the shitty places I’ve lived in the past.

We may know each other then , good luck 🤠

Started watching the last 7 episodes of Ozark on netflix last night. On one hand I want to rattle through them but on the other hand I want to string them out as I don't think there will be any more. 4 excellent series which are highly recommended.

PortyJambo

Watched Slow Horses on Apple TV over the weekend. Decent spy thriller with some funny moments in it too. Gary Oldman, as always, is reliably worth watching. A second season must already have been shot, as they had previews of it at the end of the final episode of the first season.

3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Watched Slow Horses on Apple TV over the weekend. Decent spy thriller with some funny moments in it too. Gary Oldman, as always, is reliably worth watching. A second season must already have been shot, as they had previews of it at the end of the final episode of the first season.

i've seen the first episode and it was good, i've just not gotten around to the rest yet, but it is good to hear it is worth sticking with

On 19/04/2022 at 22:45, maggieb said:

Years old but 12 series of trailer park boys is my go to for 20min fun ,try watching from day 1 ,they’ll grow on you 🤞🏻

Always avoided this just based on the thumbnail image on Netflix. Started it last night based on this post and enjoying it. I do like a good mockumentary 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Always avoided this just based on the thumbnail image on Netflix. Started it last night based on this post and enjoying it. I do like a good mockumentary 

Ah ffs Tazio , you mean it’s not real ? Enjoy 😇

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series