Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Finished this earlier on today. Really enjoyed it all, which is unusual for me and tv dramas as most are either too slow or end poorly. 

I am on episode 5 and things have gone a bit weird....

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

I am on episode 5 and things have gone a bit weird....

Aye they do. Couple of good twists ahead. 

On 01/01/2022 at 11:59, Tommy Brown said:

watched the first episode of Traces on BBCi player

Set in Dundee with Molly Windsor, Laura Fraser & Martin Compston.

It has good reviews and was a decent first episode,

Then I get the "oops, something went wrong" message.

I can no longer find it 

☹️

It was ok. Some of the acting was a bit ropey.

Also nobody had a Dundonian accent which is weird for a series set in Dundee. :lol: 

50 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It was ok. Some of the acting was a bit ropey.

Also nobody had a Dundonian accent which is weird for a series set in Dundee. :lol: 

:lol:

Must admit, unlike a lot, I am not bothered about accents.

Some shows/films go too far to the stage you miss what is being said.

I end up putting subtitles up on lots, especially US Films.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Really good. Great snapshot of a seedy out of control Times Square in the 70’s and the relationship with the police and sex workers back then. Both of these things made catching a serial killer way more difficult than it could have been. 

Cheers, bud. 👍

On 02/01/2022 at 04:04, Tommy Brown said:

The Tourist on  BBC

1st episode last night, 2nd tonight, 3rd next Sunday.

Mystery drama, an Irishman has amnesia after a road crash in the Oz Outback and has no recollection of who he is. Seriously dodgy goings on.

Good 1st episode.

Jamie Dornan (The Fall) in lead role.

We are 3 in. Decent stuff . Bonkers for incompetent policing etc but it’s entertaining 

Showtrial on BBC

late to the party but it’s absolutely brilliant. 2 to go and it’s just brilliant. BBC knock it out the park again

Four Lives (BBC)

True story drama on a serial murderer rapist of 4 young gay men in Barking.

A real police incompetence job in which they had to apologise for very recently.

Sheridan Smith and Stephen Merchant play lead roles.

Excellent first episode.

Carl Fredrickson

Stay Close on Netflix

James Nesbit, Jo Joyner and Eddie Izzard are some of the cast in this crime drama based in the north west of England. Eight parts to it and I quite enjoyed it. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 30/12/2021 at 15:31, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’ll watch season 4 episode 11/12 again this weekend to catch back up as 5 doesn’t start here until mid January 😡

I cant get it on my stick thingy. Maybe it will appear when it is on Sky tv

On 31/12/2021 at 10:00, dougal said:

If you haven't seen L'immortale, I'd recommend watching that before watching series 5. It's a movie that will explain some aspects of series 5 that aren't mentioned in other series. While it's not great it does fill in some blanks which will help you.

Yes it does fill in some gaps but its not that great. Watchable enough though

21 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Really good. Great snapshot of a seedy out of control Times Square in the 70’s and the relationship with the police and sex workers back then. Both of these things made catching a serial killer way more difficult than it could have been. 

Oh i fancy this. I like my serial killer programmes 

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Four Lives (BBC)

True story drama on a serial murderer rapist of 4 young gay men in Barking.

A real police incompetence job in which they had to apologise for very recently.

Sheridan Smith and Stephen Merchant play lead roles.

Excellent first episode.

Yes watched it last night too. Its very good. Great acting from the cast. Poor lads just wanting a better life in London and met that creep.  Reminds me a bit of Denis Neilson case. Apparently the police were awful and never took the deaths seriously enough cause the victim's were gay. To think this was only a few years ago too. Shameful really. I think the story is concentrating on this aspect of the case. 

Edited by JamesM48

Ron Burgundy

Was looking for something easy to watch and dip in and out of so my mate suggested Count Arthur Strong. I really liked it 😄

John Findlay

I record alot and catch up later.

Currently catching up on around the world in 80 days. I have to say enjoying it very much. Got Annie, The Tourist and four lives for later on in the week.

On 21/10/2021 at 18:01, ri Alban said:

I know succession has the mighty Hearts in it. But is it worth the watch, folks?

Just finished watching and missing it already 👍

Matt Berry returns as Steven Toast in Toast Of Tinseltown.  All the usual Toast stuff but he relocates to LA. Very unexpected guest appearance in the first few minutes as he does another recording session with Clem Fandango. 
Great stuff. 

south morocco

Dope sick on Disney + is excellent. Based on true events on painkiller abuse/addiction. Michael Keaton. Very disturbing but interesting story.

Conclusion to Four Lives on BBC.

Police incompetence off the scale.

Not watched Anne, yet. At least that happened 30 years ago, we knew from that tragic day that police were useless.

These murders happened within the 5 or 6 years, how can they still be so useless.

A good drama that made the four young men real and not just names on a murder report. 

8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not watched Anne, yet. At least that happened 30 years ago, we knew from that tragic day that police were useless.

These murders happened within the 5 or 6 years, how can they still be so useless.

A good drama that made the four young men real and not just names on a murder report. 

There is a good documentary on iPlayer about the the same killer. If you’ve not seen it then it’s well worth a look.

The upshot of it all for me was that the police were happy to write the deaths off as ‘a gay thing’.  Dying from GHB overdoses just seen as a byproduct of a hedonistic lifestyle. Zero sympathy or empathy driven by underlying homophobia. 

If that had been 4 heterosexual women who died under similar circumstances, would they have joined the dots any sooner. 

JudyJudyJudy

" Four lives"   .BBC1 and Iplayer 

This was a harrowing watch.  As others have noted the police really botched their investigation due to a variety of reasons.  Laziness , incompetence  and just plain old homophobia really. If these lads had been women the investigation would have been more thoroughly investigated. The parents of the dead gay men feel this . Its not just me as a gay person feeling this.

The lack of sensitivity when telling the bereaved parents about their children's deaths was also appalling and the general interest and inclination to listen to relatives and friends concerns about the deaths was appalling .  Its hard to believe that this only happened a few years back and not in the 1970s or 80s. If they had followed up the death of the first victim more thoroughly they may have prevented the other 3 deaths. At least it was clear was Barking police were taken off the case the Met seemed to be far more professional and sensitive to the families plight. 

It really was offensive that the police just thought and assumed that the young victims were all drug takers due to being young and gay. They made so many value judgements about the lads.  Surely they could easily have made links to the deaths as they were so similar ? Also online activity is really easy to find out too. 

It was very moving to watch the documentary about the case later on and amazing how the actors looked so  much like the people they portrayed. I was in tears watching it . The love from their families was clearly evident in this. 

As a tv drama is was so well acted by all the cast, in particular Sheridan Smith and Stephen Merchant.  

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

There is a good documentary on iPlayer about the the same killer. If you’ve not seen it then it’s well worth a look.

The upshot of it all for me was that the police were happy to write the deaths off as ‘a gay thing’.  Dying from GHB overdoses just seen as a byproduct of a hedonistic lifestyle. Zero sympathy or empathy driven by underlying homophobia. 

If that had been 4 heterosexual women who died under similar circumstances, would they have joined the dots any sooner. 

Well said. 

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yes i like your point about how they made the four means life seem real. The drama focussed on the human element of the case and not the grisly murders really. 

Only Murders In The Building on Disney+. Enjoyable light hearted series about 3 resident in an upper Manhattan apartment building who investigate a murder in the building and do a podcast about it. Excellent cast with Steve Martin, Selina Gomez, and Martin Short as the podcasters. Nice and easy to binge as well with 10 30 minute episodes. 

On 05/01/2022 at 17:43, Tazio said:

Much longer more involved episode of The Book Of Boba Fett this week, with a lot more of the back story. 

I'm loving it.

Malinga the Swinga
On 03/01/2022 at 22:50, 1971fozzy said:

We are 3 in. Decent stuff . Bonkers for incompetent policing etc but it’s entertaining 

Thought first 4 episodes were really good but the last 2 were so slow, it all sort of got lost.

Ending not the best either, or at least, not to my satisfaction. At least 1 character that should have been killed escaped with life.

Malinga the Swinga
On 06/01/2022 at 08:56, JamesM48 said:

Yes i like your point about how they made the four means life seem real. The drama focussed on the human element of the case and not the grisly murders really. 

Got that one recorded. These real life dramas are enjoyable in strange way, as they make you think about situation far more than a fictional one can ever do.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Got that one recorded. These real life dramas are enjoyable in strange way, as they make you think about situation far more than a fictional one can ever do.

Very true. It’s really good . Very well made and you’ll probably sit hon smacked at the police actions or indeed lack of them . 

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thought first 4 episodes were really good but the last 2 were so slow, it all sort of got lost.

Ending not the best either, or at least, not to my satisfaction. At least 1 character that should have been killed escaped with life.

Yep, we finished it last night. Bizarre ending. As seems to be the case these days - open for another season

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Only Murders In The Building on Disney+. Enjoyable light hearted series about 3 resident in an upper Manhattan apartment building who investigate a murder in the building and do a podcast about it. Excellent cast with Steve Martin, Selina Gomez, and Martin Short as the podcasters. Nice and easy to binge as well with 10 30 minute episodes. 

Oh that looks great . I think Steve Martin is such a talented actor . I’ll give that a go

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh that looks great . I think Steve Martin is such a talented actor . I’ll give that a go

Both Steve Martin and Martin Short are fantastic in it. Excellent supporting cast as well playing the various characters in the apartment building. 

JudyJudyJudy
56 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Both Steve Martin and Martin Short are fantastic in it. Excellent supporting cast as well playing the various characters in the apartment building. 

well i like murder mysteries...it sounds similar to the superb 

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993) - IMDb

Its brilliant . Very funny but also a good murder mystery. its basically a homage to the old Bob Hope films about a cowardly guy but loveable investigating a murder. 

JFK destiny betrayed - sky documentaries channel. A 4 parter - oh my god !!!! An Oliver stone docu-series that is utterly compelling. 

Been getting into Korean TV series recently due to watching a few and Netflix constantly recommending me them.

My Name

Stranger (tenser than life of duty in parts)

Vincenzo 

Lawless Lawyer 

They're all worth a punt. 

Watching silent sea tonight 

Disser Pointon
On 20/12/2021 at 19:27, Meathook said:

Started watching season 5 of Gomorrah on Sky last night.  I'd forgotten how damned good the series it.

Finished it at the weekend......

Who the feck was doing the shooting at the end????!!!!!

William H. Bonney
35 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Finished it at the weekend......

Who the feck was doing the shooting at the end????!!!!!

Spoiler

Nunzia’s men. 

11 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Four lives. Bbc iplayer 

Unbelievable the incompetence of the Barking police force.

Sorry to be the pedant. Barking doesn't have its own police force. The Metropolitan police officers(CID), who were based at Barking police station were very unprofessional and incompetent.

Disser Pointon
39 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nunzia’s men. 

That was the only conclusion I could come to as well but it wasn't obvious.

dexter new blood. it has fixed the poor original ending 6.5/10

Spoiler

i did feel they could have had a better ending, maybe a meeting between dexter and angel and angel killing dexter rather than harrison.

luckyBatistuta

Just started an old BBC series McMafia. Only watched about 30 mins and it’s alright. Is it worth sticking with it, is it a decent watch?

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just started an old BBC series McMafia. Only watched about 30 mins and it’s alright. Is it worth sticking with it, is it a decent watch?

Yes its ok . Not outstanding but good enough to stick with. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes its ok . Not outstanding but good enough to stick with. 

Cheers, gave up on quite a few series recently, as there is there is just so many to choose from. 

5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cheers, gave up on quite a few series recently, as there is there is just so many to choose from. 

Yeah I know what you mean about so many to chose from . However I think that. It make us a bit impatient with a show and only give it a couple episodes ? Don’t you think ? Some shows are slow burners . I can’t recall much about that “ Mcmillions” actually but I watched it all so it must have been not too bad as I don’t suffer shows gladly 😂

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah I know what you mean about so many to chose from . However I think that. It make us a bit impatient with a show and only give it a couple episodes ? Don’t you think ? Some shows are slow burners . I can’t recall much about that “ Mcmillions” actually but I watched it all so it must have been not too bad as I don’t suffer shows gladly 😂

Definitely, stuck with some that were slow, but ended up being really good. I’m the same with movies these days now too. I’ve seen myself sit down having watched the first 5/10 minutes of about 4 or 5 movies and after about an hour, just turning the television off and going to sleep.

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Definitely, stuck with some that were slow, but ended up being really good. I’m the same with movies these days now too. I’ve seen myself sit down having watched the first 5/10 minutes of about 4 or 5 movies and after about an hour, just turning the television off and going to sleep.

Yes that i tend to give a tv series a few episodes 3/4 if they are 10 or so episodes long but really good shows should really capture you very quickly. However there have been some great ones which have been slow burners. Yes Im like that with films too as Ive got the IPTV thing so can watch any films really. Currently watching old film noir films from the 1940s. Gave one 10 minutes last night and switched it off. Started to watch another which is no had and still to watch rest of it. 

Just finished the 4 part BBC drama called ‘The Girl Before’

About a designer house and it’s OCD landlord who rents out to 2 girls at different times and their stories.

enjoyable enough and at least it had closure (unlike many series these days)

7/10

The Tourist is definitely written by someone completely out of it on drugs. 

And there was also some drug taking by whoever wrote Stay Close. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series